Discuss Scratch

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!



s2online

s2online is a Scratch 2.0 mod made so that it could be easy to run and test existing Scratch 2.0 projects inside the 2.0 editor. It makes use of the code written for MegaApuTurkUltra's Scratch Project Backup, interacting with the scratch-flash editor to send downloaded project data into the editor.

Try it out: https://s2online.github.io/

art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 71.0.3578.98, No Flash version detected
For me, the Scratch 2 editor looks really small.


I have about 2200 posts, 50 projects, 150 total topics, and 90 followers.

JGames101
Scratcher
100+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

LuckyLucky7 wrote:


Same Issue. Usually, I would use Firefox, but I don't have Flash installed so I'm using Chrome 71.0.3578.98 on MacOS 10.14.2.
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 71.0.3578.98, No Flash version detected
For me, the Scratch 2 editor looks really small.

JGames101 wrote:

Same Issue. Usually, I would use Firefox, but I don't have Flash installed so I'm using Chrome 71.0.3578.98 on MacOS 10.14.2.
Oh, thanks! I get the same issue too, when I use Chrome. I'll fix this!

art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

_nix wrote:

I get the same issue too, when I use Chrome. I'll fix this!
Fixed now! It should look right on Chrome.

art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

_nix wrote:

It makes use of the code written for MegaApuTurkUltra's Scratch Project Backup
ae lemo

also nice project!

cute cute cute cute cute

rip in pizza ATs
JGames101
Scratcher
100+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

_nix wrote:

_nix wrote:

I get the same issue too, when I use Chrome. I'll fix this!
Fixed now! It should look right on Chrome.
Yeah, it works now, thanks

Last edited by JGames101 (Jan. 3, 2019 19:59:41)

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

This is very useful! Thanks for sharing!

How to get 2.0 back - permanently!
When Mario Maker doesn't work in Cemu after hours of trying to figure out how to mod your Wii U to dump the game:
sippingcider
Scratcher
500+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

Impressive!

But, is there any upside to using this over the scratch offline editor?
XayCraft360
Scratcher
100+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

1 Problem: It's flash, maybe try remaking 2.0 using HTML5/JavaScript

<Insert copy of NilsTheBest's OLD uncreative copy of adsuri's uncreative copy of Wahsp's uncreative copy of -ShadowOfTheFuture's- uncreative signature here>
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

sippingcider wrote:

Impressive! But, is there any upside to using this over the scratch offline editor?
The main use of s2online is to be able to quickly run an existing project in 2.0, especially if it's incompatible with 3.0, or for any other reason. For editing projects, yeah, you're definitely better off still using the offline editor, since it can easily overwrite a file (file -> save) and has the ability to share to the website. But s2online lets you very quickly open a project in 2.0.

The big case I have is, when writing GitHub issues regarding compatibility of 2.0 and 3.0, being able to include a link to s2online to share a comparison of 2.0 and 3.0. But just being able to view and run a project in the 2.0 editor is pretty handy. Also, the offline editor is only useful to people who have access to it – so, not people on Linux, nor anyone who lacks permission to download programs. So s2online works as an in-browser 2.0 editor for those people.

art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

XayCraft360 wrote:

1 Problem: It's flash, maybe try remaking 2.0 using HTML5/JavaScript
I'm not aiming to replace 2.0 or create an “alternate” to 3.0 – I just want to have a way to run the plain old 2.0 editor in your browser (and to quickly open projects in it). Yeah, that means s2online won't be as useful when browsers really drop support for Flash, but that's not now.

art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
sippingcider
Scratcher
500+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

_nix wrote:

sippingcider wrote:

Impressive! But, is there any upside to using this over the scratch offline editor?
The main use of s2online is to be able to quickly run an existing project in 2.0, especially if it's incompatible with 3.0, or for any other reason. For editing projects, yeah, you're definitely better off still using the offline editor, since it can easily overwrite a file (file -> save) and has the ability to share to the website. But s2online lets you very quickly open a project in 2.0.

The big case I have is, when writing GitHub issues regarding compatibility of 2.0 and 3.0, being able to include a link to s2online to share a comparison of 2.0 and 3.0. But just being able to view and run a project in the 2.0 editor is pretty handy. Also, the offline editor is only useful to people who have access to it – so, not people on Linux, nor anyone who lacks permission to download programs. So s2online works as an in-browser 2.0 editor for those people.

Oh that makes sense. Also, thanks for working on compatibility issues between scratch versions (this has been my biggest issue with scratch 3.0)!
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

I just tried to launch this in Firefox and then remembered I don't have Flash on it.


My PC: Ryzen 7 2700 / 16GB RAM / 250GB SSD / 2TB HDD with 120GB SSD cache / 4GB XFX Radeon RX560 / Windows 10 Pro

Wetbikeboy2500 wrote:

good old infinitytec
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

infinitytec wrote:

I just tried to launch this in Firefox and then remembered I don't have Flash on it.
Oops. That is the inevitable fate of 2.0 in browsers.

sippingcider wrote:

Also, thanks for working on compatibility issues between scratch versions (this has been my biggest issue with scratch 3.0)!
No problem, although the vast majority of the actual work has been done by other people!

Last edited by _nix (Jan. 4, 2019 03:43:12)


art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
hahasamian
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

_nix wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

I just tried to launch this in Firefox and then remembered I don't have Flash on it.
Oops. That is the inevitable fate of 2.0 in browsers.
I think Flash might keep working in IE for all eternity assuming you keep Flash installed.
But I might be wrong.

We all make mistakes in our lives.
Let's hope the above post isn't one of them.

-Hahasamian
Hey! You into Sonic? I've been trying hard to whip up some really good projects surrounding this blue blur!
You can check some of them out here, & Knuckles.
Or alternatively, you can check out all my projects by heading right to my profile (here).
MCAnimator3D
Scratcher
500+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

Thanks for this. Now I can redirect project viewers from a broken project back to 2.0



_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

hahasamian wrote:

_nix wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

I just tried to launch this in Firefox and then remembered I don't have Flash on it.
Oops. That is the inevitable fate of 2.0 in browsers.
I think Flash might keep working in IE for all eternity assuming you keep Flash installed.
But I might be wrong.
Yeah, that's true - same deal for running Flash in Firefox, where it's a plugin you have to install separately, and Firefox won't uninstall it. So as long as you have the plugin files, you can keep using Flash. It's just that in the future almost all people won't be getting Flash on their browsers, so then a tool like this would only be helpful to the rare few who still have Flash!

art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!
NitroCipher
Scratcher
500+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

hmm, it appears extensions (like Pico) don't want to work

I hope my post helped you in some way! Post count: 500+

Current project: [s3Blocks: scratchblocks rewritten for Scratch 3.0] ::#4b4a60 //https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/290031/ Basically done!
This is my signature identifier “aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=”
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s2online: Easily run Scratch 2.0 projects in your web browser!

NitroCipher wrote:

hmm, it appears extensions (like Pico) don't want to work
I think that's a glitch with scratch-flash – I guess it expects there to be JS files or something like that, in order to provide the code for the extensions. But I'm not sure where those files are on Scratch's servers. If anybody wants to poke around scratch-flash's source code to figure out how extensions work, I'd be interested in seeing what's found and if we can figure out a way to support them in s2online

Last edited by _nix (Jan. 5, 2019 00:34:09)


art blog – My pronouns are they/them, btw. sparrows one word to the paragraph
s2online: Run Scratch 2.0 in your browser; edit and back up any 1.4 or 2.0 project.
HK Scenery: WIP Hollow Knight-inspired adventure project!
HK Parallax & Toolbox: I wrote a lot of code to deal with clones! And then I wrote a lot of text discussing it here!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile