Discuss Scratch

Twizzler_
Scratcher
6 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

❀I am seriously fed up with the way some people are. Everyone can draw, everyone can write, some are more advanced, but you'll get there eventually. You can do things to speed up the process, but you can't take shortcuts.

❀One of the lowest things you can do in art is: . Like I mentioned earlier, everyone can draw and write. So why steal? If you steal art, think about the person who spent precious time making that piece of art. It's sickening to know that you could care less about it. If you're going to take someone's art, check these things: Make sure they allow you to take it and if they don't, it's off limits to you. If you get their permission to use their art, please, please! Give credit to them.

❀Another thing you can do in art theft is tracing. You might think, “I did trace it, but I DREW it! So it's mine.” Sure, you made it, but where did the idea come from? Who made the original piece? The original artist. So even if you “made” the art, you HAVE to credit the original artist.

❀But, what if you aren't the person stealing? What if the person stealing stole YOUR art? Well, there are actually things you shouldn't do. For example, if you take a polite approach, you might prevent unnecessary trouble. If they don't reply, repeat yourself one more time. If they actually do reply and they still don't take it down, here's a tip: don't be scummy. If you do, they will be scummy back and then you'll have yourself a war. Again, be polite. This is the best way to make them feel bad. If all else fails, report to the Scratch Team. Sure, it may take a long time before they get to the project, but if you aren't looking for a fight (you shouldn't look for one in the first place), then that's your only option.

❀Let me define the two meanings of furry. The first defintion is someone who draws an anthro version of an animal. The second defintion is someone who wears a fursuit of the animal. (credit to Naudia for summing up what a furry is).

❀I will talk about the first definition first. If you draw an animal standing up, then that doesn't mean you wear a fursuit. (if you are that though, I have nothing against it). I can't draw humans that well, so I make my animal characters stand up on two legs. Does that make me a furry? No, unless I want to be a furry. People misuse the definition of furry so many times to the point where it's not even funny.

❀If you are the second kind of furry, there isn't anything wrong with it. If you want to be like that, then no one can stop you. Do what makes you happy (unless you want to be evil, then you can't do it). And, let me say this, not every furry has a fursuit. Some classify as it but they don't actually possess one.

❀My last words on this topic (it might pop up again later), I really want to see some changes in Scratch. If this keeps happening, Scratch will not only lose popularity from people who got tired of receiving all this trash, but they will end up being a place no one wants to be.

❀Scratch can still save this website if they take up some of the ideas us Scratchers suggest.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

That was my rant, and I still agree with it. Art thieves are still lingering around, and most of them haven't been caught. (removed by moderator - please don't name and shame) has been running around, not taking down her stolen art. Her whole profile is stolen art (aside from some of the other things she's made herself)! I think the Scratch Team needs to be more responsible about these are thieves and do something about it.

Not saying I don't love Scratch! Scratch is a wonderful place and I'm really excited for 3.0, but I'm just annoyed that artists who have worked so hard, are getting their art stolen. And it's not just the artist being frustrated with these theives, it's other people! Spottyflight stole Wolfy's icon that was given to Kirah as a payment. It's not just a quick, “Credit to Wolfy for drawing this icon and Kirah for the character!”, no, of course not. It was paid for. Meaning; Spotty can't use it. It's been two days now and we haven't got a response. I even emailed the Scratch Team about it, but haven't heard back.

Please, when 3.0 comes, please, please! Make the Scratch Team a bit more responsible. I do love Scratch a lot, so please fix this and keep Scratch a wonderful place.

TWIZZLER_

Last edited by Paddle2See (Nov. 28, 2018 22:08:49)

pinkieofthepies
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'll admit, i didnt read all of your post
Honestly, the problem of art thieves upsets me, too. unfortunately, unless they give no credit and claim the stolen art as their own, there's really nothing you can do most of these people are just little kids, who don't really think that what they're doing is wrong. I traced art and said it was mine when i was little, and it ended up inspiring me to draw for real. the most you can really do is to nicely ask the art thieves to stop, and maybe use your feelings as leverage. (Ex: "hi, can you please take my art down? i worked very hard on it and it hurts my feelings that you are claiming it as yours)

still here
Twizzler_
Scratcher
6 posts

I agree that most of the people on here are kids, but most of them are also being irrational which pushes me to my max. It's not just the art thief though, I would like the Scratch Team to take action when this happens- art theft is a serious problem.
kittngore
Scratcher
3 posts

whoops

Last edited by kittngore (Nov. 28, 2018 01:51:12)

pinkieofthepies
Scratcher
500+ posts

Twizzler_ wrote:

I agree that most of the people on here are kids, but most of them are also being irrational which pushes me to my max. It's not just the art thief though, I would like the Scratch Team to take action when this happens- art theft is a serious problem.
I agree with you on that, but I believe that the ST cant do much about it unless its uncredited, because of the CC-BY-SA 2.0 license. (i think its that one?) on the FAQ page it states “ Keep in mind that once you share your project on Scratch, everyone is free to download, remix, and reuse it as per the terms of the CC-BY-SA 2.0 license”

also you shouldn't call out other scratchers in forum posts. That's naming-and-shaming and can cause a lot of drama.

still here
Nightwisker101
Scratcher
6 posts

Totally agree! Art theft is a huge problem on Scratch, and certain build-in functions on the website (*ahem* the remix button) make it all the more easier for people to steal other's artwork. I liked how you covered all the different kinds of art theft and explained why each of them were morally wrong.

I've had to deal with a ton of art theft lately, and I'm planning on making a project/studio talking about my experience with it. I'll post the points I make from the project onto this thread a little later.
Twizzler_
Scratcher
6 posts

But the problem was, it wasn't shared on Scratch. It was on DA-
kittngore
Scratcher
3 posts

Last edited by kittngore (Nov. 28, 2018 01:29:24)

-dreamiinq-
Scratcher
6 posts

the icons that we have been talking about in this forum have NEVER been in a project/posted here on scratch/on this website or it's following websites. they have only been seen and posted on deviantart, which you can see in my gallery. the character's owners, almost all of them who had a scratch, simply used the icons here on this website. that WOULD NOT go under the rules of ‘'anything that is on scratch can be freely spread and taken throughout the community. if you do not want this happening, do not post it here.’' since I did not, I REPEAT, DID NOT, post the icons here.
ElenaTheEevee
Scratcher
2 posts

If this doesn't stop I might just consider leaving the website all together
FluffyMiuku
Scratcher
1 post

ElanaTheEvee same. I might leave with the way things are getting. (hope you guys don't mind me joining the discussion)
ZoeyAnimalLover13
Scratcher
6 posts

I haven't had anything stolen, but I feel really bad for those who have had something stolen. I agree with Twizzler in the sense that Scratch should do something about this problem.
litteniscool123
Scratcher
11 posts

But why do they say text pictures are inappropriate? That's just junk, man.

Last edited by litteniscool123 (Nov. 28, 2018 04:51:35)

KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

litteniscool123 wrote:

But why do they say text pictures are inappropriate? That's just junk, man.
Please don't thread hijack.

moved accounts lol
norahsimon07
Scratcher
15 posts

Twizzler_ wrote:

❀I am seriously fed up with the way some people are. Everyone can draw, everyone can write, some are more advanced, but you'll get there eventually. You can do things to speed up the process, but you can't take shortcuts.

❀One of the lowest things you can do in art is: . Like I mentioned earlier, everyone can draw and write. So why steal? If you steal art, think about the person who spent precious time making that piece of art. It's sickening to know that you could care less about it. If you're going to take someone's art, check these things: Make sure they allow you to take it and if they don't, it's off limits to you. If you get their permission to use their art, please, please! Give credit to them.

❀Another thing you can do in art theft is tracing. You might think, “I did trace it, but I DREW it! So it's mine.” Sure, you made it, but where did the idea come from? Who made the original piece? The original artist. So even if you “made” the art, you HAVE to credit the original artist.

❀But, what if you aren't the person stealing? What if the person stealing stole YOUR art? Well, there are actually things you shouldn't do. For example, if you take a polite approach, you might prevent unnecessary trouble. If they don't reply, repeat yourself one more time. If they actually do reply and they still don't take it down, here's a tip: don't be scummy. If you do, they will be scummy back and then you'll have yourself a war. Again, be polite. This is the best way to make them feel bad. If all else fails, report to the Scratch Team. Sure, it may take a long time before they get to the project, but if you aren't looking for a fight (you shouldn't look for one in the first place), then that's your only option.

❀Let me define the two meanings of furry. The first defintion is someone who draws an anthro version of an animal. The second defintion is someone who wears a fursuit of the animal. (credit to Naudia for summing up what a furry is).

❀I will talk about the first definition first. If you draw an animal standing up, then that doesn't mean you wear a fursuit. (if you are that though, I have nothing against it). I can't draw humans that well, so I make my animal characters stand up on two legs. Does that make me a furry? No, unless I want to be a furry. People misuse the definition of furry so many times to the point where it's not even funny.

❀If you are the second kind of furry, there isn't anything wrong with it. If you want to be like that, then no one can stop you. Do what makes you happy (unless you want to be evil, then you can't do it). And, let me say this, not every furry has a fursuit. Some classify as it but they don't actually possess one.

❀My last words on this topic (it might pop up again later), I really want to see some changes in Scratch. If this keeps happening, Scratch will not only lose popularity from people who got tired of receiving all this trash, but they will end up being a place no one wants to be.

❀Scratch can still save this website if they take up some of the ideas us Scratchers suggest.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

That was my rant, and I still agree with it. Art thieves are still lingering around, and most of them haven't been caught. (removed by moderator - please don't name and shame) has been running around, not taking down her stolen art. Her whole profile is stolen art (aside from some of the other things she's made herself)! I think the Scratch Team needs to be more responsible about these are thieves and do something about it.

Not saying I don't love Scratch! Scratch is a wonderful place and I'm really excited for 3.0, but I'm just annoyed that artists who have worked so hard, are getting their art stolen. And it's not just the artist being frustrated with these theives, it's other people! Spottyflight stole Wolfy's icon that was given to Kirah as a payment. It's not just a quick, “Credit to Wolfy for drawing this icon and Kirah for the character!”, no, of course not. It was paid for. Meaning; Spotty can't use it. It's been two days now and we haven't got a response. I even emailed the Scratch Team about it, but haven't heard back.

Please, when 3.0 comes, please, please! Make the Scratch Team a bit more responsible. I do love Scratch a lot, so please fix this and keep Scratch a wonderful place.

TWIZZLER_
I am very angry at the studio which has the link to this forum. VERY ANGRY! But…. What you said is right and I'm glad you said what you hope it to be etc.

Last edited by Paddle2See (Nov. 28, 2018 22:11:09)

lucastue400
Scratcher
100+ posts

UmmmMmmMMMmMMM i'm not an artist but the studio i came from was about how scratch is getting worse and not about art

“Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves. Britons never never shall be slaves!”

“Born a soldier, from the horseback to the skies - that's where the legend will arise… and he's flying… Higher! The king of the sky! He's flying too fast and he's flying too high!”

“The courageous Mongol Genghis, the sublime lord Genghis.”

“Oh, du Schoner Westerwald!”
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You can report people for using art without credit.

PokeNova
Scratcher
37 posts

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.

hi i'm not active on scratch anymore, sorry for the inconvenience.
Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

At this point, I’m a bit fed up with Scratch. I even made a rant. In that rant (in the project, the rant was in the description), I took my current icon, and then I recolored it to shiw an example of recoloring. When I get banned (while I hope I don’t, but I know I will), I’m thinking of making a DA and moving there. Just my opinion on the art theft. If you want to see my rant, here’s the link: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/265657492/

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Instead of asking politely, all you need to do is report the projects including that kind of art for not crediting the original artist. There's no need to tell them to stop, as that causes unnecessary conflict.

Also, sorry for being a little pedantic, but the definition of furry that you used is a little incorrect. The only definition is someone who likes anthropomorphic character design in any way and prefers to call themselves a member of the community. Anthro animals would be the ones that have any human characteristics put onto them that they wouldn't usually have - even quadrupedal animals could count as anthropomorphic if they have human characteristics (like smiles, personalities an animal wouldn't have, etc.).