Discuss Scratch

Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
AtheneNocturna
Scratcher
100+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene

Last edited by AtheneNocturna (Nov. 29, 2018 16:33:49)


Surprise Me ×∆× Profile ×∆× Aesthetics ×∆× Sci-Fi SWC ×∆× Free Things ×∆× Exist Loudly

Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold
Webkinzluver5
Scratcher
44 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.

Come to my profile. I have butterbeer and chocolate always available

when I receive [I say Vol and you say? v]
broadcast [...voltron? v]
-dreamiinq-
Scratcher
6 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.

Exactly! That's what the rest of Animationclan and I have been thinking. If there is a Scratch Jr, made just for younger kids that are probably below 10-years-old, should Scratch be for 13+? I mean, there should be a system in which you have to be 13+ to join this version of scratch, so that younger kids, who can't handle or understand these rules, can go to Scratch. Jr.
Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.


Unless Scratch wants to make it so that people use the regular program instead of the Jr., but that would be ridiculous, right?

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
AtheneNocturna
Scratcher
100+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.


Unless Scratch wants to make it so that people use the regular program instead of the Jr., but that would be ridiculous, right?
What's the point of having a Junior mode if small children don't use it?!?!

Surprise Me ×∆× Profile ×∆× Aesthetics ×∆× Sci-Fi SWC ×∆× Free Things ×∆× Exist Loudly

Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold
Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.


Unless Scratch wants to make it so that people use the regular program instead of the Jr., but that would be ridiculous, right?
What's the point of having a Junior mode if small children don't use it?!?!
Exactly! If it’s meant for kids 5 to 7, then why don’t they use it, so then we don’t complain every day?!

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
AtheneNocturna
Scratcher
100+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Mining-Portals wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.


Unless Scratch wants to make it so that people use the regular program instead of the Jr., but that would be ridiculous, right?
What's the point of having a Junior mode if small children don't use it?!?!
Exactly! If it’s meant for kids 5 to 7, then why don’t they use it, so then we don’t complain every day?!
And the thing is, they woulduse it. If it were common knowledge that it existed. But they don't, and no one seems to care, and there's where the problems start. Art theft, uncalled for reports, and other issues related to the community exist largely because of the overly-wide age range.
(also “theives” is spelled wrong in the discussion title??)

~Athene

Surprise Me ×∆× Profile ×∆× Aesthetics ×∆× Sci-Fi SWC ×∆× Free Things ×∆× Exist Loudly

Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold
Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

AtheneNocturna wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists


Why don’t the kids use that then?
I agree. Just having the platform doesn't matter if they don't enforce it's use. What's the point of having it if you can just join normal Scratch just as easily? They don't even make it that obvious that it exists, at you can obviously tell.
~Athene
That's what I've been thinking too. If Scratch is aimed at a younger demographic… then why not just promote Scratch Jr., which is literally geared TOWARDS A YOUNGER DEMOGRAPHIC.


Unless Scratch wants to make it so that people use the regular program instead of the Jr., but that would be ridiculous, right?
What's the point of having a Junior mode if small children don't use it?!?!
Exactly! If it’s meant for kids 5 to 7, then why don’t they use it, so then we don’t complain every day?!
And the thing is, they woulduse it. If it were common knowledge that it existed. But they don't, and no one seems to care, and there's where the problems start. Art theft, uncalled for reports, and other issues related to the community exist largely because of the overly-wide age range.
(also “theives” is spelled wrong in the discussion title??)

~Athene
Maybe the parents should research first? I honestly don’t know

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
Za-Chary
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).

The first person to see this message and comment “coagulation” on my profile gets a free love.
Za-Chary's Game Museum
The Complete List of Rejected Suggestions
Dan-The-Squid
Scratcher
500+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Scratch is not meant to be a professional art website. Everything on Scratch is licensed with a Creative Commons license, which means anyone can use any part of your project as long as they give credit. If you don't want people to take your art, try using DeviantArt or another art website.

Check out my terrible comic strip, it's called Gibberish Comics!

Please?


My interests: Video game development, drawing, unusual sea creatures, and flightless birds.

;
SNAH45
Scratcher
12 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists

It's sad to say that as much Scratch JR exists, it doesn't nessarcly means that Scratch acknowledges us that are past the demigraphic of age. They think that some of us are little kids based on our poorly done projects from the past. Scratch Team won't really do anything, not without ourt help at least.
Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

SNAH45 wrote:

KiivaGunner wrote:

PokeNova wrote:

Welp, guys. Art theft is stupid and it just needs to STOP. Why can't there be a SEPARATE Scratch for little kids, I ask? It's because most of us fall outside of Scratch's original age demographic.
Sorry to interrupt this convo, but Scratch JR exists

It's sad to say that as much Scratch JR exists, it doesn't nessarcly means that Scratch acknowledges us that are past the demigraphic of age. They think that some of us are little kids based on our poorly done projects from the past. Scratch Team won't really do anything, not without ourt help at least.
YES! Epecially since not all of us are great artists when we first join

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
AtheneNocturna
Scratcher
100+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Za-Chary wrote:

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).
Ok, so it can't be solved by Scratch Jr. But shouldn't someone on the sight teach them that it's wrong?? Scratch should have a tab on the homepage explaining things like that.

Surprise Me ×∆× Profile ×∆× Aesthetics ×∆× Sci-Fi SWC ×∆× Free Things ×∆× Exist Loudly

Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold
Webkinzluver5
Scratcher
44 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Za-Chary wrote:

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).
Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.

Come to my profile. I have butterbeer and chocolate always available

when I receive [I say Vol and you say? v]
broadcast [...voltron? v]
Mining-Portals
Scratcher
11 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).
Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.

I am COMPLETE Portal trash (*cough* I also like BATIM, BBT, Cg5, and Voltron, but, Y’know… *cough*)

when I receive [ I think we can put our differences behind us...]
broadcast [ For science...You monster]

And then Reginald comes upstairs and is all like, “I say gentlemen, I do believe we’re in quite a spot of bother.” And everyone else was like, “REALLY?! WHAT TIPPED YOU OFF GENIUS?!”
-dreamiinq-
Scratcher
6 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).
Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.
I agree with all of this.
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

First things first, Scratch is for everyone.

Scratch Community Guidelines wrote:

Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
So making Scratch 13+ is removing the all ages part. Therefore I don't think that they will make it 13+, I do think that art theft is an issue, but having 3 separate Scratches isn't the answer. Instead you can make a PSA (Public Service Announcement) about it and get it featured (which shouldn't be to hard seeing as it would be a PSA about art theft). But you can't force people to do good, you have to show them the way and hope they choose to go down the path of greatness instead of the path of lies. As the saying goes, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.”

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (Nov. 29, 2018 21:21:44)


"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR * LEMONS! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! With the LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
- Cave Johnson
SNAH45
Scratcher
12 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Should we just, uh,make a forum on Scratch's problems instead of just saying it on a forum that is supposed to be us talking about Art Thieves?
SonicFan91
Scratcher
500+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

-dreamiinq- wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).
Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.
I agree with all of this.
Same here.

“I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.” - a website called “Funny Puns”

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile