Discuss Scratch

StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.
And still, people steal art on purpose, though teaching kids is a good start, though making a new site just isn't a viable option, because if they can't teach on the regular site, what makes you think they could do it using a newer, less known about, just made the other day, website? I honestly think that they should teach it in schools, rather than on scratch, since tons more people go to school, than use scratch.

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (Nov. 29, 2018 21:47:38)



“Husk at sjelenes verdi er stor for Guds øyne”
- Doktrin og pakter 18:10
-dreamiinq-
Scratcher
6 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

StrangeMagic32 wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.
And still, people steal art on purpose, though teaching kids is a good start, though making a new site just isn't a viable option, because if they can't teach on the regular site, what makes you think they could do it using a newer, less known about, just made the other day, website? I honestly think that they should teach it in schools, rather than on scratch, since tons more people go to school, than use scratch.

That's quite true. There are many schools, as far as I know (that are similar to mine) who have an art class. While there are art schools, those are more colleges, which small kids can't go to just yet.
“And don't forget that smaller kids don't understand everything yet-”
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

-dreamiinq- wrote:

StrangeMagic32 wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.
And still, people steal art on purpose, though teaching kids is a good start, though making a new site just isn't a viable option, because if they can't teach on the regular site, what makes you think they could do it using a newer, less known about, just made the other day, website? I honestly think that they should teach it in schools, rather than on scratch, since tons more people go to school, than use scratch.

That's quite true. There are many schools, as far as I know (that are similar to mine) who have an art class. While there are art schools, those are more colleges, which small kids can't go to just yet.
“And don't forget that smaller kids don't understand everything yet-”
I wasn't quite implying in an art class, but just as a general lesson that they teach.
Edit: yeah they may not understand everything, yet most people that I know learned that stealing is bad at a young age, around 3rd or 4th grade.

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (Nov. 29, 2018 22:02:48)



“Husk at sjelenes verdi er stor for Guds øyne”
- Doktrin og pakter 18:10
PsyShock04
Scratcher
7 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

SonicFan91 wrote:

-dreamiinq- wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I'd like to add my thoughts about Scratch Jr. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have.

You must understand that Scratch Jr. is severely limited in the amount of content you can create. Especially with the horizontal blocks; you can barely make a game or an animation out of it. Plus, there's no online features, no community to be a part of. I'm sure there are many people who were like me: I didn't join Scratch to learn how to code, I joined Scratch so I could make games.

Don't think of Scratch Jr. as something that the little kids have. Think of it as a starting point, that will eventually teach kids to learn code through normal Scratch.

The Scratch website is wonderful because it aims to be a safe social media website for kids of all ages. What has been discussed here about art thieves is indeed something that should be taken lightly — art theft isn't good, especially when the thief takes credit for the artwork. However, I don't think it's something that can be solved through Scratch Jr. — normal Scratch is capable of much more than Scratch Jr. is, and restricting younger children towards it doesn't really solve art theft (anyone over 7 could commit art theft if they really wanted to).
Maybe the ST could develop a new Scratch website possibly, like the next transitioning stage before they come here? Like Scratch Intermediate. It'll serve as an in-between spot for Scratch Jr. and regular Scratch for 7-12 year olds. That way they don't have to worry about more mature content until they create an account here where it could be made 13+.
And: Maybe if Scratch could educate the kids on art theft, then they would know not to steal art.
I agree with all of this.
Same here.
Like updating the Community Guidelines and also giving a link to it on the top of the home page if you didn't post projects yet.

2+2 is 4
minus 1 that's 3 Quick math!
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

PsyShock04 wrote:

Like updating the Community Guidelines and also giving a link to it on the top of the home page if you didn't post projects yet.
Adding the Community Guidelines up at the top would be nice, maybe on the homepage? And yeah I think updating it is a great idea


“Husk at sjelenes verdi er stor for Guds øyne”
- Doktrin og pakter 18:10
RiverclanRocks123
Scratcher
10 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

I HATE ART THEFT! I am so fed up with it, I made this
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/266398619/
Lavender_the_cat
Scratcher
3 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Twizzler_ wrote:

I agree that most of the people on here are kids, but most of them are also being irrational which pushes me to my max. It's not just the art thief though, I would like the Scratch Team to take action when this happens- art theft is a serious problem.

Well, sometimes when you ask them politely they don’t respond and keep stealing your art. Or they are really mean when you say that and get angry at you and report you, even though you are the original artist. Then you get banned or warned. Scratch team (and their bots) are a bit dumb, and they don’t see a problem with art theft, because ‘It isn’t against Scratch guidelines’. How pathetic. Hmph.
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Mining-Portals wrote:

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

Unaccredited use of user content is reportable, especially if the user is lying about it being theirs, however, I'm not exactly sure whether this applies to recolours/traces based on scratch's policies.
While I agree with your sentiment on art theft, a large part of scratch and how it works is users being able to share content- it's literally in the slogan. This same rule that allows users to utilise and learn from eachother's code (with credit) also covers the sprites and backgrounds you upload to the site, too. If you don't want people to do this to your art, then scratch isn't the place you should be uploading it.


Tracing is still art theft, because they didn’t make the original art. They traced it without the artist’s permission
I was referring to scratch's rules. Generally, from what I've heard, on scratch credit is not necessary if enough change has been made to the original piece.

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Webkinzluver5
Scratcher
44 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

Mining-Portals wrote:

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

Unaccredited use of user content is reportable, especially if the user is lying about it being theirs, however, I'm not exactly sure whether this applies to recolours/traces based on scratch's policies.
While I agree with your sentiment on art theft, a large part of scratch and how it works is users being able to share content- it's literally in the slogan. This same rule that allows users to utilise and learn from eachother's code (with credit) also covers the sprites and backgrounds you upload to the site, too. If you don't want people to do this to your art, then scratch isn't the place you should be uploading it.


Tracing is still art theft, because they didn’t make the original art. They traced it without the artist’s permission
I was referring to scratch's rules. Generally, from what I've heard, on scratch credit is not necessary if enough change has been made to the original piece.
I think it still is. Even if you make changes, you still have to give credit to the original creator.

Come to my profile. I have butterbeer and chocolate always available

when I receive [I say Vol and you say? v]
broadcast [...voltron? v]
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

Webkinzluver5 wrote:

I think it still is. Even if you make changes, you still have to give credit to the original creator.
with that logic, then we'd have to give credit to anyone who inspired us or anything of the sort, because in all reality you're basically taking their art and altering it, therefore still their art with that logic. If something is different enough, then you can call it yours.

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (Nov. 30, 2018 22:41:19)



“Husk at sjelenes verdi er stor for Guds øyne”
- Doktrin og pakter 18:10
TheChromiumKid
Scratcher
9 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

wait you can actually pay money for icons? ( ͠° ͟ʖ °)

This is a meme from the future. You won't get the joke until right now because the future is now. Now the future is the past and this meme is no longer relevant. We are drifting further from the mortal coil each day - Be careful, young Padawan.

define oa
There is no way to define oa
Have a nice day
Twizzler_
Scratcher
6 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

TheChromiumKid wrote:

wait you can actually pay money for icons? ( ͠° ͟ʖ °)

Yes you can- not here on Scratch of course but you can commission someone on DeviantArt or on another art website.
janie12324
Scratcher
2 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

*Dies* ugh,, it all sucks. I'm sick and tired of the scratch teams ‘perfect view’ of how scratch should.
p0tterkat
Scratcher
3 posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

ST is really starting to suck at it's job… ST pays more attention banning to people who say the word Discoord (misspelled so they won't ban me) than people who are bullying, harassing, and stealing. Every time I, or anyone, posts a project, the live in fear of it being stolen. Every time I post I comment I fear getting bullied, harassed, or even baned! Plus, THERE IS ALREADY A SCRATCH JR!! WE DO NOT NEED 3.0! But, I mean not like they CARE about the preteens and younge teens like me… \_( 0 ~ 0)_/ D:<

Last edited by p0tterkat (Dec. 1, 2018 03:14:34)

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

About the Scratch Art Theives

I'm seeing a lot of ranting - but not so much any actionable suggestions.

Scratch is based around a culture of sharing and remixing. The very name “Scratch” comes from the method used by DJs of taking a record (one kind of media) and “scratching” the phonograph needle on the record as it is playing to make a distinctive percussive beat. They take one artistic work and modify it to make something new and different.

That's what Scratch is supposed to be about too. That is why our Community Guidelines specifically say “You are free to remix projects, ideas, images, or anything else you find on Scratch – and anyone can use anything that you share. Be sure to give credit when you remix.”

We recognize that this is not the culture that exists on some other sites. But it is how things operate here. Please keep that in mind when you choose what you are going to share on Scratch.

Scratch Team Member, kayak enthusiast, and servant to multiple cats.

;

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile