Discuss Scratch

whooshang
Scratcher
100+ posts

About necroposting...[confirmation required to post on old topics]

Inkulumo wrote:

No support, necroposting can just be reported and it'd take a while to implement that.
Necroposts fill up the front page of the fourms and prevent people from helping the people who need help.

See my most recent projects here.
Buffek
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

when green flag clicked
say [I hate my username why did I name myself like this]
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. In the past day alone, there were three accidental necroposts in the Questions about Scratch forum (one of which, funnily enough, was responding to an answer I had posted two years ago). All three have been closed, but it's quite annoying seeing a new topic show up only to realize it's been resolved and dead for years, cluttering up the posts from people who actually still want help.

Buffek
Scratcher
100+ posts

B

when green flag clicked
Buffek
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bump?

when green flag clicked
Black_Rock_Pride
Scratcher
50 posts

I say no, while necroposting can be annoying if it's something random, it can be good if it's with help or whatever.

when I receive [person v]
say [AAAHHH!!!!!]
point towards [exit v]
say [I AM AN INTROVERT!!!]
go to [exit v]

Check out my games!
Your text to link here…

Black (Internet name) Pronouns: Anything Loves outdoors and reading
Buffek
Scratcher
100+ posts

Black_Rock_Pride wrote:

I say no, while necroposting can be annoying if it's something random, it can be good if it's with help or whatever.

when I receive [person v]
say [AAAHHH!!!!!]
point towards [exit v]
say [I AM AN INTROVERT!!!]
go to [exit v]
Please don't blockspam

when green flag clicked
python_megapixel
Scratcher
500+ posts

Having to navigate dialogue boxes just to do the simplest of tasks is annoying for people, and it would ultimately lead to one of two things:
1) It scares new scratchers from posting on the forum
2) People just get into the habit of clicking past it, and the problem resurfaces in a few years' time.

Here's a better suggestion to solve the same problem. When a thread is created it gets a percentage score which starts at 100. Every day this score decreases by 1, and every time someone posts on it the score is reset to 100%. However, once this score drops below 10, the system changes. Each post increases the score by 1. The idea is that threads with a score below 10% are not bumped when new posts are made.

pythonmegapixel he/him or they/them
I have nothing else to put here for now
Cyclip
Scratcher
21 posts

It would be better if it's about 1 or 2 months
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

python_megapixel wrote:

Having to navigate dialogue boxes just to do the simplest of tasks is annoying for people, and it would ultimately lead to one of two things:
2) People just get into the habit of clicking past it, and the problem resurfaces in a few years' time.

Here's a better suggestion to solve the same problem. When a thread is created it gets a percentage score which starts at 100. Every day this score decreases by 1, and every time someone posts on it the score is reset to 100%. However, once this score drops below 10, the system changes. Each post increases the score by 1. The idea is that threads with a score below 10% are not bumped when new posts are made.
That would basically be how it is now, except adding the part where after ~3 months it can't be bumped, until it reaches 100% again? I like it

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (Dec. 31, 2018 17:58:12)

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
12944qwerty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Oof, I'm about to necropost here.

Maybe we can also include how long ago this topic was in activity by the topic title.

Facts
- Joined around Sep 28, 2015.
- 100th post
- 30 Projects
- 59 Followers
- Wiki
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

12944qwerty wrote:

Oof, I'm about to necropost here.

Maybe we can also include how long ago this topic was in activity by the topic title.
There is already a “last edited by — at —” before clicking on the topic. However, if you are suggesting this to be below the title, semi-support. While it would (hopefully) make people aware of when a topic was last posted on and avoid potential accidental necroposts, you can just go to the last page, see the last post and when it was posted.

python_megapixel wrote:

Support for having a system similar to this one. However, I don't really agree with the idea of the topic not being bumped to the top if it has under 10 points. Perhaps a topic hasn't been posted on for months, yet it needs discussion. If it was brought back to the topic, more discussion could take place, etc. We should keep it the way it is: make a topic go back to the top each time it is posted on. The 100 points system would be a good way of determining a possible limit of what should be considered a necropost and what shouldn't. Perhaps you would only get the popup message / warning if the score is 0.

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

I give my full support. The dates are the last thing I read when it comes to replying, so I've contributed to necrodiscussions (though not necroposting, other people usually beat me to it). Making Scratch point out necroposts straight out would really help.

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, it would prevent necroposting(not completely, but at most halfway).

I have about 3450 posts, 90 shared projects, 180 total created/followed topics, and 425 followers.

Starstriker3000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I made a topic on this same idea, so… support!
Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What if someone is being constructive on old posts?

EZ-Games
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, would help with preventing some necroposting.

God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
John 3:17

Advice:
Saying “Support” or “No Support” doesn't contribute anything to the conversation.
A question that has already been answered doesn't need to be answered twice with the same answer - bring something new to the table.
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support.

I help a lot on the forums, and it is quite amazing to see such creative minds and nice threads out there. And then this one necropost ruins my mind. The forums are like my home now, and if someone necroposts it I get a little offended even. No offense to the old necroposters out there though.

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
SuperCappy
Scratcher
500+ posts

Got here from a dupe, Support
anyway, bump

I moved my Account to Scratchy697
TapingAnimations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, I've seen a lot of new forumers necropost on old topic in QaS and I think this would really help and might decrease the amount of necroposting in the Scratch Forums.

Male | 10 Yrs Old | Catholic | Animator | Roleplayer | Marvel, FNaF, Undertale, Portal, Minecraft, Among Us Fan