Discuss Scratch

Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

Enhanced Games Unlimited Collaboration ~ Making Drifter!

heine wrote:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/364240435/
working on projectiles
Looks Great!
The projectiles do seem slightly slow… Maybe it would be harder with multiple monkeys.
The shield function without the stick seems to just turn off the arm's animation. For example go into a level without the stick hold shield and then jump, the arms don't move. Perhaps you need a stick or something to shield and it should be disabled without it.
The shield animation with the stick looks very similar to the ready to attack animation (I notice now the stick is slightly more vertical) I think it should use two hands on the stick in the shield animation.

Remember, we live in a bread based economy.
-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

heine wrote:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/364240435/
working on projectiles
Looks Great!
The projectiles do seem slightly slow… Maybe it would be harder with multiple monkeys.
The speed can be set to anything, I set it to what it is because I found it hard to deflect them otherwise.
The shield function without the stick seems to just turn off the arm's animation. For example go into a level without the stick hold shield and then jump, the arms don't move. Perhaps you need a stick or something to shield and it should be disabled without it.
Yeah I was going to do that, but then I forgot. C:
The shield animation with the stick looks very similar to the ready to attack animation (I notice now the stick is slightly more vertical) I think it should use two hands on the stick in the shield animation.
I think that could work, yeah.
Unyxti
Scratcher
44 posts

I haven't checked back on this thread for a while, but I now understand that monkeys with coconuts.

I feel bad for not being so active on this thread, sorry! School has been pretty busy and I've forgotten to go Scratch over the break. I'll be back to make some new goats soon.

unyxti
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

V0.49 (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/372209984/) moves monkeys to the jungle and gives them arms.

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

V0.49 (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/372209984/) moves monkeys to the jungle and gives them arms.
Not gonna lie the e3 entity with arms is absolutely terrifying.

Anyways I like the new level art.
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

heine wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

Not gonna lie the e3 entity with arms is absolutely terrifying.

Anyways I like the new level art.
Yea lol… I was kind of going for that effect.

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

G_A_C wrote:

1) OPENING CUTSCENE:
- His eyes open, close up on the face. Next shot is slightly more zoomed out, showing him sitting up, and his eyes widen. The final shot is the widest, with character in the bottom middle of the screen. Meanwhile, the rest of the screen shows the beach stretching out for miles with shipwrecks everywhere.
2) The SHATTERED BEACHES area is discovered, and the PROLOGUE starts.
3) At the end of the prologue, the character finds remnants of a campsite, lit quite recently, and finds a diary entry. This diary entry explains how the writer has just been wrecked on the beach and that they were going to explore the island further.
4) The JUNGLE LEVEL starts.
5) Cutscene after that is him stumbling upon another campsite in a clearing, with a sword and a diary entry on the ground but shockingly massive crevices leading into darkness litter the clearing. He picks up the diary entry, but before he can read it, the ground making up the clearing rumbles and collapses, leaving massive holes in the ground, with monsters climbing out. He picks up the sword.
6) The FORBIDDEN EXPANSE area is discovered, starting the next level.
I think this is the plot we're going with, just for future reference. (The discussion is on pages 129-130)

Also, does anyone want to start working on writing the diary entries?
ReznorZEZ
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hi! My name is Rez, I hope you are still hiring.
I would like to apply to be a level designer (Platforms and art) for Drifter.
If it helps I will leave a 1-10 scale on all of my skills:
Level design (Platforms): 8/10. Coding: 5/10. Art: 6/10. Math: 4/10. Music: 1/10.
I am very interested in collaboration because I have little music and math skill and need partners to do roles I cannot do, I also enjoy being with people.
I will be very active since I log in almost everyday, 9/10.
I consider myself somewhat skilled in forum posts. I can add scripts, bump threads, add links, and quote people, all without getting a headache!
But I do not know how to snip forums.
I am following this thread and the game since I heard about it 2 or 3 days ago.
My main reason for wanting to join is that I want to work on a big game, and see how it turns out. I have tried making games but they have ended up badly due to mediocre coding or lack of original music. Plus I think Drifter is very cool!
Hope you accept,
-Reznor

-Reznor
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ReznorZEZ wrote:

Level design (Platforms): 8/10. Coding: 5/10. Art: 6/10. Math: 4/10. Music: 1/10.
I am very interested in collaboration because I have little music and math skill and need partners to do roles I cannot do, I also enjoy being with people.
I consider myself somewhat skilled in forum posts. I can add scripts, bump threads, add links, and quote people, all without getting a headache!
My main reason for wanting to join is that I want to work on a big game, and see how it turns out. I have tried making games but they have ended up badly due to mediocre coding or lack of original music. Plus I think Drifter is very cool!
Hope you accept,
-Reznor
Accepted!

Banner by @ncro2005.
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

ReznorZEZ wrote:

Hope you accept,
-Reznor
Accepted!
Welcome to the team!
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

heine wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

snip…
Accepted!
Welcome to the team!
This (https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Quote) page on the scratch wiki tells you how to snip. Look at this post for an example.

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
RonTheNerd
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey folks! I realize I have not been terribly active here lately, (or on Scratch generally, for that matter). Well, I guess I've kinda been taking a break.

Also, I may be starting a new job in the near future. I've already had one interview, which I think went pretty well, so we'll see. I should know sometime next week. If I do get the job, I'm not sure how active I will be able to be, at least for awhile until I get the new schedule and all that figured out.

Just wanted to give you all an update on me.

Banner by @ncro2005.
ReznorZEZ
Scratcher
100+ posts

RonTheNerd wrote:

Accepted!
Thanks! I´m working some sort of cave level right now.

Last edited by ReznorZEZ (March 15, 2020 20:42:16)

-Reznor
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

ReznorZEZ wrote:

RonTheNerd wrote:

Accepted!
Thanks! I´m working some sort of cave level right now.
Cool!

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

To-do list:
  • Remake and finalize the art for the “e3” entity.
  • Write the diary entries for the campfire and campsite cutscenes.
  • Start work on cutscene engine.
  • Improved attack animations.
  • Sneak function?
  • Roll function?
  • Enemy concepts/art.
  • Cutscene art.
  • Cutscene animations?
  • Work out the story for level 3.
  • Design/story for level 4.
  • Sound effects for enemies.
  • Sound effects for attacks.
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

Roll function?????
Like forward roll or what?
How would this be useful?

What do you want to change about the e3 entity? It looks great…
OK… What was it meant to be again?

What happens in the cut scenes? Does the player just automatically walk to the next level?

Level 4 there is a cave in the jungle and the player walks into the cave (or just stands in front of it…)

I will make the text for level 3.

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
ReznorZEZ
Scratcher
100+ posts

heine wrote:

To-do list:
*snip*
*snip*
here's my idea of what level 4 would be:
Crystal Depths
The player finds a cave in the jungle. He looks up and see that its almost nighttime (is there a sprite for the character looking up?), maybe the color of the sky changes from blue to orange mid-way through the jungle level? Because of that he decides to enter the cave to see if he can pass the night in there. The player stands in the middle of the cave. He hears a rumbling sound and the screen shakes, then the floor collapses. You fall and roll down a really steep rock slope for about 8 seconds when you finally land on flat ground. TC (the character) struggles to get up and then you gain control of him. This level would be vertically oriented as you try to get out of the cave through the hole you fell down in.
I think its a good level idea. Tell me what you think!

-Reznor
heine
Scratcher
100+ posts

ReznorZEZ wrote:

heine wrote:

To-do list:
*snip*
*snip*
here's my idea of what level 4 would be:
Crystal Depths
The player finds a cave in the jungle. He looks up and see that its almost nighttime (is there a sprite for the character looking up?), maybe the color of the sky changes from blue to orange mid-way through the jungle level? Because of that he decides to enter the cave to see if he can pass the night in there. The player stands in the middle of the cave. He hears a rumbling sound and the screen shakes, then the floor collapses. You fall and roll down a really steep rock slope for about 8 seconds when you finally land on flat ground. TC (the character) struggles to get up and then you gain control of him. This level would be vertically oriented as you try to get out of the cave through the hole you fell down in.
I think its a good level idea. Tell me what you think!
I like this.
ReznorZEZ
Scratcher
100+ posts

hey there hasn't been a single post in 2 days is everyone alright?

-Reznor
PegasusHT
Scratcher
500+ posts

ReznorZEZ wrote:

hey there hasn't been a single post in 2 days is everyone alright?
I'm here.
just watching from the shadows

;