Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » [PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour [RSS Feed]
ISC-33
Scratcher
7 posts

[PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour

This feature already in scratch! GO CHECK IT OUT!
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour

PaperMarioFan2022 wrote:

rdococ wrote:

Did anyone on the Scratch Team bother to try a dark blue?

They didn’t, but since the Scratch Wiki nav bar is purple, then I guess they went with dark purple instead.
the wiki was not involved in this decision. i don't think i can currently give further details but we definitely weren't

Banana

Banana
——————————————————————————–

Very inactive user who has now become a maker.
If you reply to this post it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment the link to your post on my profile!!!

banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WallydogChoppychop wrote:

Support

Pretty sure all they need to do is to put in some java which changes the CSS

Also be nice to change the default color to any color
some java -facepalm-

Banana

Banana
——————————————————————————–

Very inactive user who has now become a maker.
If you reply to this post it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment the link to your post on my profile!!!

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ISC-33 wrote:

No, only in extensions. This doesn't exist in ‘Vanilla’(Extensionless) Scratch.
Don't name any because of this policy.

banana439monkey wrote:

Support

Also be nice to change the default color to any color
some java -facepalm-

Banana
True, inspect element. It's HTML and it's gigantic.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 29, 2023 08:10:37)

Toru said:

“全てが終わってその後に残るものは…夢と……想い出だけだ それだけだ”
Simsstar333
Scratcher
31 posts

ISC-33 wrote:

What? How?(I know this is possible with change the code on a computer but I am always on my tablet)

M Y⠀⠀S I G N A T U R E⠀⠀I S⠀⠀B A D ⠀!
TansGames
Scratcher
100+ posts

KJRYoshi07 wrote:

SUPPORT!
This would make things look better and there would be more individuality.
Would you be able to change the taskbar colour in the dark theme, though?
Because I think navy blue would look awesome with the dark theme.
Wow, that does look cool!

I never had this option before!
WONGMY
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support.

#TeamBlue, it's just WAY too iconic to leave.
Oh yeah, and other colours would be fine too.

TIME FOR ADVERTISING >:]

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WONGMY wrote:

I guess I'll link it. There is a reason why the blue interface is gone: https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/User:Jvvg/Essays/Accessibility_preempts_aesthetics
I get that it's iconic and all, but personally I've seen the interface for 1 year and 8 months (Again, I'm an alt. My main is in plain sight in my signature as well.) and I'm personally not really caring about this change.
I also support this suggestion, simply just I cannot understand why people are mad on the change. Iconic, sure. But there's still alot to consider.
They get sued or they try their best to avoid that situation, PERIOD.
No if-s, no else-s.
I'm just pointing this out as people really just get mad without seeing why they did it in the first place.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 29, 2023 08:47:26)

Toru said:

Simsstar333
Scratcher
31 posts

TansGames wrote:

KJRYoshi07 wrote:

SUPPORT!
This would make things look better and there would be more individuality.
Would you be able to change the taskbar colour in the dark theme, though?
Because I think navy blue would look awesome with the dark theme.
Wow, that does look cool!

I never had this option before!

I think you can right click or something and you are able to change the color in the skript.

M Y⠀⠀S I G N A T U R E⠀⠀I S⠀⠀B A D ⠀!
alphabetlorefan2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

Also, no support for any color but the original blue

Hi! My name is alphabetlorefan2003 or ALF2003 for short!
I have an OC, named Й and it's like the letter from RALR but it has only 1 eye and the mouth has 2 tendrils.
My favorite color is red and my second favorite color is blue as you can see in the text.

BLOCK ARMY (Created in March 27 2024):
((0) + (0) + (0) + (0) :: operators) // This is Zero Two, an upgraded version of Zero with his skills to protect from evil kumquats but can also crush evil kumquats with his Gullible on the ceiling skill where he tells the kumquats there is the word "Gullible" on the ceiling and then the kumquats gets crushed by Zero Two

define Bumper
if <(current [hour v]) > [23]> then {
set [blur and bump v] effect to (100) :: cap
stop [the inactivity v]
} :: cap :: control

Bumper ::cap // This is Bumper, She bumps my topics when necessary. She also have some skills at fighting since Zero and Zero Two taught her.

UwU :: hat // This is Gullibleyee, He helps me doing Scratch Projects

when green flag clicked :: cap // This is Cap Green Flag, he is Zero Two's assistant because he starts a green flag at the end of a script which would make the evil kumquats crumble because the script is repeated over and over again.

when [wasd v] key pressed :: stack // This is Stack WASD, he is Cap Green Flag's assistant

when green flag clicked
say [I am very confused about Snap!] for (2) secs
visit [https://snapwiki.miraheze.org/] :: sensing
for each ((item :: variables) :: list) in (list [blocks] [features] [and others] :: list) {
think [hmm...] for (2) secs
say (join [I now know about] (item :: variables) [.] :: operators)
wait (0.5) secs
} :: list
say [That clears some things up.] for (2) secs :: cap
Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)
colinmacc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

WONGMY wrote:

I guess I'll link it. There is a reason why the blue interface is gone: https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/User:Jvvg/Essays/Accessibility_preempts_aesthetics
I get that it's iconic and all, but personally I've seen the interface for 1 year and 8 months (Again, I'm an alt. My main is in plain sight in my signature as well.) and I'm personally not really caring about this change.
I also support this suggestion, simply just I cannot understand why people are mad on the change. Iconic, sure. But there's still alot to consider.
No if-s, no else-s.
I'm just pointing this out as people really just get mad without seeing why they did it in the first place.

It seems that blue is fine for other huge platforms, such as facebook, twitter, outlook, etc.

I don't understand why you think blue is not OK for Scratch. Are they all going to get sued too?

The best solution obviously is to make it optional.

Sample Projects

Basilikos
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You did not just say that

sorry for bad english
rdococ
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm not sure this is the best thread to discuss the new colour scheme, because it's a suggestion for a setting to choose between multiple colour schemes. Most Scratchers are still posting new suggestions asking to change the scheme back to blue, indicating that they see the suggestion as distinct, and it's also a much simpler change.

Last edited by rdococ (June 29, 2023 09:22:14)

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

colinmacc wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

WONGMY wrote:

No if-s, no else-s.

It seems that blue is fine for other huge platforms, such as facebook, twitter, outlook, etc.

I don't understand why you think blue is not OK for Scratch. Are they all going to get sued too?

Not saying blue is not alright for Scratch. I infact didn't say it in my sentences. I have zero problem with it, and never said it isn't alright for Scratch. Simply pointing the fact that either they get sued without the attempt of staying on a small brick considering their limited resources. I myself was abit mad when I first heard the change, but then realized jvvg's essay and just decided to go with it, and I still am.
Difference with those platforms is that they aren't for education, Scratch is. Which is what this law mentions if you look at it's wikipedia page.
I also never mentioned I liked the purple more.
People are adding a purple shade over their profiles for the memes.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 29, 2023 09:29:02)

Toru said:

VedanshS933
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support once again especially to give an option to revert back to blue. This purple is not looking like what I expected

Home OS 3.0 Coming Soon!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/880616996/

Post Count - 2000+!
1. Suggestions 1100+ (first time hitting 1000 on a subforum!)
2. Questions about Scratch 250+
3. Advanced Topics 230+
4. New Scratchers 100+
5. Show & Tell 80+
6. Bugs and Glitches 70+

redesigning the signature
ButterflyWings22
Scratcher
100+ posts

personally, i kind of support. maybe you don’t need lots of different options. this is high contrast mode for easier accessibility, they didnt just change the color for no reason.

i think scratch should let us toggle high contrast mode in scratch on/off in settings, where you can have it blue or purple. no one necessarily needs their own customization of the navigation bar and link colors. you get me?

Last edited by ButterflyWings22 (June 29, 2023 09:40:43)

colinmacc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

colinmacc wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

WONGMY wrote:

No if-s, no else-s.

Not saying blue is not alright for Scratch. I infact didn't say it in my sentences. I have zero problem with it, and never said it isn't alright for Scratch. Simply pointing the fact that either they get sued without the attempt of staying on a small brick considering their limited resources. I myself was abit mad when I first heard the change, but then realized jvvg's essay and just decided to go with it, and I still am.
Difference with those platforms is that they aren't for education, Scratch is. Which is what this law mentions if you look at it's wikipedia page.
I also never mentioned I liked the purple more.
People are adding a purple shade over their profiles for the memes.

There is no mention of education on this site.. https://www.ada.gov/resources/web-guidance/

Sample Projects

ToastersUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

colinmacc wrote:

~gearra~

There is no mention of education on this site.. https://www.ada.gov/resources/web-guidance/
Facts

Last edited by ToastersUnited (June 29, 2023 10:05:07)

I'm hosting Country Clash Minecraft, a minecraft server where you can join or create a nation, trade, engage in politics, go to war and more!
CCMC is a Country Clash RP spinoff. It is currently in a trial period where CCRP admins will observe the server and see whether or not it should continue.
CCMC uses a custom map with volcanoes, nether and end islands, winding rivers and more!
CCMC will start within the next two days or so. It has a 10 player limit at any time. Anyone can join, as long as you have a copy of Minecraft Java Edition or Minecraft Bedrock Edition

VicvillionFermany
Scratcher
20 posts

banana439monkey wrote:

Okay, this should be implemented when the skin is pushed to the whole site, but here are a few reasons why this should happen:

Scratch Wiki:
The wiki has it. Why shouldn't we have it?

A nice feature:
It gives users the freedom to break free from the blue and use a colour they may prefer

Simple:
It's somewhat simple. All you need to do is have a box requesting a colour code, or a colour name and it inputs it into a variable. That then extracts to the navigation bar and text colour.

Okay, but what if someone's set it to light grey, or white?
Then the site would automatically notice and change the text colour and colour of the messages and my stuff buttons on the navigation bar to black.

What about the default colour? What would it be?
Good question there. It would be the colour we have now. #855cd6 - purple. The text would automatically be in this text box.

What if a user is logged out?
It works the same as the wiki. You can't change it when logged out.

Use extensions!!!
Okay, there are people who are lazy in this world. Aside from being lazy, those extensions are only local, they don't apply to everywhere. I want to see this being quick and simple to set. I want to be able to log into a library all the way over in London (I live in the West Midlands) and still immediately see Scratch in dark theme as soon as I log into it. No tooling around or anything. Long story stort, I'm a productivity guy. When doing things, I find the quickest way to do it to save time, because it matters!

Lemme elaborate even more:
An option in account settings to change the skin's colour. This text box's contents, when applied will be imported into a variable and the text colour and navigation bar would change to that colour. This text box should also be accompanied by a colour picker that includes the full sRGB colour spectrum (thanks kenny2scratch for the idea). A list of pre-sets could be given for the user to click on, in order for that user to select a colour of their choice (although the comprehensive sRGB colour picker should absolutely still be present; thanks Vetzlan for the idea).That's pretty simple, right? Right so far. On top of that, though another suggestion, it's still concerning the skin itself. Here's an example screenshot of the homepage with another colour:

Anyway, here's my other idea. Dark theme. In account settings, there would be an option to switch to and from dark theme and light theme. Here's a screenshot of dark theme:

Here's a guide of the colours used:
Non-links/navigation bar links: #ffffff
Section headers: #24292e then #000000
Links: default
Background/section backgrounds/footer: #24292e

It also may be an idea to introduce this to the editor as well, since it's as (if not more) important as the website itself. The whole theme would synchronise across the whole site including the editor.

If you do get the option to actually log into the 3.0 offline editor (which would be cool), it would be cool to synchronise this idea to there.

Thoughts?

Banana

I agree there should be a setting
———————————————-
Cleared by FuN
ToastersUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

VicvillionFermany wrote:

I agree there should be a setting
———————————————-
Cleared by FuN
Please snip your posts

I think we could get used to the purple, i actually do find it much easier to see things on the site and the claustrophobic-type affect was probably phsychological. It really helps me to see links (mainly on the forums) and other things on the 2.0 sites which were previously light blue blobs

Kop

Last edited by ToastersUnited (June 29, 2023 10:11:40)

I'm hosting Country Clash Minecraft, a minecraft server where you can join or create a nation, trade, engage in politics, go to war and more!
CCMC is a Country Clash RP spinoff. It is currently in a trial period where CCRP admins will observe the server and see whether or not it should continue.
CCMC uses a custom map with volcanoes, nether and end islands, winding rivers and more!
CCMC will start within the next two days or so. It has a 10 player limit at any time. Anyone can join, as long as you have a copy of Minecraft Java Edition or Minecraft Bedrock Edition

• Discussion Forums
  • » Suggestions
  • » [PLEASE DO NOT PROTEST THE PURPLE] An option in account settings to change the site's theme and navigation bar colour [RSS Feed]