Discuss Scratch

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0 Technical Discussion

Alzter wrote:

All the issues everybody had with the block text, colours and padding weren't fixed, as well as the blurry stage and my personal issues with the block workspace feeling unorganized.
Well, yeah, but we kind of knew the Scratch Team was prioritizing other things rather than those. 3.0 releasing as it is doesn't invalidate the fact that thisandagain and co have talked about how they do intend to address that feedback. I think they're going to use the release of 3.0 to help decide where they should focus – obviously the sound editor is a place they've already said they want to look at soon, but feedback from users and educators will help them decide what else to look at sooner rather than later.

Also yeah, I was a little surprised by the pages taking a while to load. I imagine that's something they'll work on improving if it's a problem for a lot of people too. I also don't want to be too conclusive about anything right now, since 3.0 just released, so the server might still be starting up and what-not (although some lag might be client-side, which they'll hopefully improve).

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

_nix wrote:

Alzter wrote:

All the issues everybody had with the block text, colours and padding weren't fixed, as well as the blurry stage and my personal issues with the block workspace feeling unorganized.
Well, yeah, but we kind of knew the Scratch Team was prioritizing other things rather than those. 3.0 releasing as it is doesn't invalidate the fact that thisandagain and co have talked about how they do intend to address that feedback. I think they're going to use the release of 3.0 to help decide where they should focus – obviously the sound editor is a place they've already said they want to look at soon, but feedback from users and educators will help them decide what else to look at sooner rather than later.

Also yeah, I was a little surprised by the pages taking a while to load. I imagine that's something they'll work on improving if it's a problem for a lot of people too. I also don't want to be too conclusive about anything right now, since 3.0 just released, so the server might still be starting up and what-not (although some lag might be client-side, which they'll hopefully improve).
I think the servers are under too much load.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
D3FAULT_COD3R
Scratcher
3 posts

all block scripts disappeared from all of my projects
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

_nix wrote:

Alzter wrote:

I think the servers are under too much load.
The servers actually did crash today after 3.0 was released.

I'm a programmer, ethical hacker, and space nerd!

Last edited by Neil Armstrong (July 20, 1969 20:17:00)

sam
d_and_g
Scratcher
100+ posts

D3FAULT_COD3R wrote:

all block scripts disappeared from all of my projects
how did that happen?

when green flag clicked
if <I think of something> then

it's probably been done before

end
Ok, but unironically, check this out!
slibircat
Scratcher
3 posts

I do think that this setup of Scratch is really nice, but there is only one minor issue. The Code is on the left and the Project is on the right. I'd like to see 3.0.0.1 or something come out where there's a button next to the project size changer and fullscreen toggler where you can choose the project to be on the left or right.

Also, while I believe this aesthetic for Scratch is probably the best yet, it'd be a cute feature to have retro themes. And maybe a Dark theme too! Or Invert, or Colored as well! Maybe there will be a custom block color changer! I don't know.

I'd rather have the former than the latter. Is this a thing any of you Scratch employees would be considering? I hope you do!

Thanks!

P.S.: The Scratch forums are messed up. The Emoticon menu, Scratchblock menu, etc. appears behind the textbox.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

slibircat wrote:

I do think that this setup of Scratch is really nice, but there is only one minor issue. The Code is on the left and the Project is on the right. I'd like to see 3.0.0.1 or something come out where there's a button next to the project size changer and fullscreen toggler where you can choose the project to be on the left or right.

Also, while I believe this aesthetic for Scratch is probably the best yet, it'd be a cute feature to have retro themes. And maybe a Dark theme too! Or Invert, or Colored as well! Maybe there will be a custom block color changer! I don't know.

I'd rather have the former than the latter. Is this a thing any of you Scratch employees would be considering? I hope you do!

Thanks!

P.S.: The Scratch forums are messed up. The Emoticon menu, Scratchblock menu, etc. appears behind the textbox.
I like the layout.

Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

slibircat wrote:

I believe that's Grammarly's fault, not Scratch's.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I isolated the Scratch VM benchmark thingy: https://sheeptester.github.io/hello-world/vm.html#139025103 (replace ID with any other project ID) It doesn't support ask prompts and watchers I believe because they're part of the GUI

Perhaps it could be used to turn projects into apps? idk

This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Golden_Sparrow
Scratcher
1 post

How do you save the “Instructions,” and “Notes and Credits” because it outlines orange, and I cannot seem to save it Dx
Scratcher
100+ posts

Why is the ask box so small in fullscreen mode?

Blocks Scratch are missing

<string [thing to test for v] includes [thing to search for]?::operators>
if <condition 1::operators> then {
} else if <condition 2::operators> then {
} else {
}::control
return [thing to return]::custom-arg cap
<[] \<= []::operators>
<[] \>= []::operators>
create instance of [thing to make copy of v] with values [1] [10] [-20]::control
(get value [value to get v] of [sprite to get from v]::sensing)
execute based on text [code to execute]::control
break::control cap
continue::control cap
store cookie [name of cookie] [value]::variables
(get cookie [name of cookie]::variables)
(replace [item to look for] with [item to replace with] in [string to do this for]::operators)
(amount of times [item to look for] shows up in [string to do this for]::operators)

And finally, text code.
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

0037318 wrote:

Why is the ask box so small in fullscreen mode?
It's not small; it just doesn't get resized. I think that makes sense

exrobin
Scratcher
83 posts

would I be able to use scratch 3.0 on My browser / operating system: Windows XP, Chrome 49.0.2623.112, Flash 21.0 (release 0)
and yeah I know it's old

this is my signature it appears below all forum posts
when green flag clicked
say [I am having trouble with scratch 3.0 please help]
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

exrobin wrote:

would I be able to use scratch 3.0 on My browser / operating system: Windows XP, Chrome 49.0.2623.112, Flash 21.0 (release 0)
and yeah I know it's old
Try it, but tbh you should really upgrade. Windows XP is really insecure.

MinecraftM153
Scratcher
100+ posts

slibircat wrote:

Thanks!

I'd like to have an option to toggle between light and dark mode, possibly not just the editor, but across the entire site. I also would like to see a feature where you can choose your own accent color, if blue isn't what you want. You can make the headers and stuff red, green, orange, yellow, grey, anything else.

They also missed the feature to minimize the stage to bring up more space for scripts.

Keep in mind the stage was initially on the right, while the scripts were on the left. They swapped it in Scratch 2.0, and back to normal in Scratch 3.0. It would be nice to have a toggle feature though.

Those are my personal thoughts.

EDIT: They actually do have a feature to minimize the stage and make room for scripts. Whoops.

Last edited by MinecraftM153 (Jan. 4, 2019 12:49:56)

I like to make drawings move elsewhere, but on here I do mainly coding experiments. Check them out if you want!
Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

For some reason, you can't drag sprites into the paint editor anymore to use the current costume in the edited costume. Should probably make a bug report about that. I used that feature a lot

MinecraftM153 wrote:

I'd like to have an option to toggle between light and dark mode, possibly not just the editor, but across the entire site. I also would like to see a feature where you can choose your own accent color, if blue isn't what you want. You can make the headers and stuff red, green, orange, yellow, grey, anything else.

They also missed the feature to minimize the stage to bring up more space for scripts.

Keep in mind the stage was initially on the right, while the scripts were on the left. They swapped it in Scratch 2.0, and back to normal in Scratch 3.0. It would be nice to have a toggle feature though.

I am all for the toggle feature and especially dark mode, i hate having a white background

Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 3, 2019 15:58:15)

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 1, 2020 00:00:00)
oh no, the joke is dead because that time is no longer in the future :I
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Apr. 20, 2069 00:00:00)
that's better
;
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Greenduck54 wrote:

For some reason, you can't drag sprites into the paint editor anymore to use the current costume in the edited costume. Should probably make a bug report about that. I used that feature a lot

MinecraftM153 wrote:

I am all for the toggle feature and especially dark mode, i hate having a white background
I made a userscript bit of code that does that.

Last edited by infinitytec (Jan. 3, 2019 16:00:42)

MCAnimator3D
Scratcher
500+ posts

Anyone know if there's a way to run projects with the 2.0 player? Some of my projects don't work anymore and I'd like to include a link that tells the user to go there instead (Phosphorus doesn't work either).

scratch
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MCAnimator3D wrote:

Anyone know if there's a way to run projects with the 2.0 player? Some of my projects don't work anymore and I'd like to include a link that tells the user to go there instead (Phosphorus doesn't work either).
Nope.

NothingCanStopMe357
Scratcher
51 posts

In 2.0 you had the option of editing the JSON code to create “hacked” blocks to avoid going over the 50MB file size
In 3.0 “hacked” blocks don't work anymore, but there are workarounds to use.

define add (item) to (list)
add (item :: custom) to (list :: custom)
Won't work but you can…

define add (item) to (list)
if <(list) = [main]> then
add (item) to [main v]
end
if <(list) = [objects]> then
add (item) to [objects v]
end
if <(list) = [etc]> then
add (item) to [etc v]
end

if you have multiple of these, you can