TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

owlannaelsa wrote:

phantomsrule4life wrote:

Jayn and Jahn Doe
Another cliche is these Roblox-inspired placeholder names
I was going more for John Doe, typical crime investigation criminal placeholder name, and Jane Smith, the female, British version.

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
IggyAndCassie
Scratcher
500+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Please snip & stay on topic.

Looking at you, political debate participants

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

The Cliche Topic

gigamushroom wrote:

calulord wrote:

I didn't say that you were wrong, though I understand why you would think so. I just pointed out that your source wasn't very reliable
You do realize that Wikipedia not being reliable isn't completely true? Sure, teachers might say it, but what makes their word more reliable than a site that's constantly monitored by experienced users, as well as one which actually provides many other sources/citations to justify the content of an article?
It's becuase just about anybody can put just about anything on there. When you hear that you might think of people writing stuff like “J.R.R Tolkien was a scientist who helped George Washington Carver discover how to create a firework by mixing orange and apple juice and his hobby was writing cheesy Sci-Fi short stories.” It's not that people just go around writing stuff like that. It's just that professional websites are more selective about who they let edit their information, and often are able to get information directly or the people being selected professionals can be trust to get creditable source more often than the users on Wikipedia. And I'm not saying that everything on Wikipedia is wrong, just like how a bad arguement can support a correct answer, a irreliable source can give you correct information.

KidoftheEnder45
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

IggyAndCassie wrote:

This was ages ago so saying to stay on topic at this point is futile.

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Soccer practice and soccer games for some reason in media is a generic things that kids do in media so often, especially in advertising and stuff like that.

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Generic straight-to-TV rom-com movie cliches!
Woman moves somewhere new and meets a handsome stranger/rival.
or
Woman is in a job that causes her to end up working with a handsome stranger/rival.
or
Woman wants to save/preserve some kind of festival/landmark/historic thing and ends up on opposing sides with a handsome stranger.

She always has some kind of quirky friend, caring mom or similar figure to force her into dating this dude somehow.
She hates/quarrels with the guy causing them to part ways but then realises she's nothing without him.
There is some kind of upcoming event that will cause them to never meet again- they either become a couple in the nick of time or she/he finds him/her after this event and asks them out.
If there was some kind of thing the woman was trying to save, she manages to save it and the movie probably ends with the couple holding hands at it.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
owlannaelsa
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

I saw a poster that said Jane Doe today in a city

IMPORTANT: do not stalk me. just because im active somewhere doesnt mean that you should stalk me to that place. please, its VERY annoying.
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

owlannaelsa wrote:

that's because
“John Doe” , “John Roe” or “Richard Roe” (for men), “Jane Doe” or “Jane Roe” (for women), and “Baby Doe”, “Janie Doe” or “Johnny Doe” (for children), or just “Doe” or “Roe” are multiple-use names that have two distinct usages. Firstly, and especially in the United States, Canada and Ireland, they may refer to an unidentified person, or a party in a legal action whose identity is being withheld officially. In the context of law enforcement in the United States, such names are often used to refer to a corpse whose identity is unknown or unconfirmed. Secondly, such names are also often used to refer to a hypothetical “everyman” in other contexts, in a manner similar to “John Q. Public” or “Joe Public”.

In other English-speaking countries, unique placeholder names, numbers and/or codenames have become more often used in the context of police investigations. This has included the United Kingdom, where usage of “John Doe” originated during the Middle Ages. However, the legal term John Doe injunction (or John Doe Order), has survived in English law and other legal systems influenced by it. Other names used informally such as “Joe Bloggs” or “John Smith” have sometimes been informally used as placeholders for an everyman in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, such names are seldom used in legal or police circles in the same sense as John Doe

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
owlannaelsa
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

owlannaelsa wrote:

that's because
“John Doe” , “John Roe” or “Richard Roe” (for men), “Jane Doe” or “Jane Roe” (for women), and “Baby Doe”, “Janie Doe” or “Johnny Doe” (for children), or just “Doe” or “Roe” are multiple-use names that have two distinct usages. Firstly, and especially in the United States, Canada and Ireland, they may refer to an unidentified person, or a party in a legal action whose identity is being withheld officially. In the context of law enforcement in the United States, such names are often used to refer to a corpse whose identity is unknown or unconfirmed. Secondly, such names are also often used to refer to a hypothetical “everyman” in other contexts, in a manner similar to “John Q. Public” or “Joe Public”.

In other English-speaking countries, unique placeholder names, numbers and/or codenames have become more often used in the context of police investigations. This has included the United Kingdom, where usage of “John Doe” originated during the Middle Ages. However, the legal term John Doe injunction (or John Doe Order), has survived in English law and other legal systems influenced by it. Other names used informally such as “Joe Bloggs” or “John Smith” have sometimes been informally used as placeholders for an everyman in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, such names are seldom used in legal or police circles in the same sense as John Doe
It was for a show/concert/gig

IMPORTANT: do not stalk me. just because im active somewhere doesnt mean that you should stalk me to that place. please, its VERY annoying.
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

owlannaelsa wrote:

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

owlannaelsa wrote:

that's because
-snip-
It was for a show/concert/gig
It's probably a band/singer/comedian name or the name of the show they were doing. Either way we're off topic tbh.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
owlannaelsa
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Accidentally pressing “self destruct”.

KidoftheEnder45
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

owlannaelsa wrote:

Doof

phantomsrule4life
Scratcher
100+ posts

The Cliche Topic

owlannaelsa wrote:

My feelings right now

Transformice!
(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)(foo)

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

The Cliche Topic

When somethings minor happens early in a episode that you just KNOW will lead to the major plot of it (Especially if a character tells them not to do something specific).

KidoftheEnder45
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Literally like 50% of Disney villains

Last edited by KidoftheEnder45 (April 5, 2018 23:19:20)

Dabzers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

IggyAndCassie wrote:

who

inactive

yay october
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

calulord wrote:

When somethings minor happens early in a episode that you just KNOW will lead to the major plot of it (Especially if a character tells them not to do something specific).
bunch of other ways this happens in stories:
  • Building is shown as being unstable or badly built
  • Random campfire horror tale is told about some kind of scary creature
  • A characters favourite object is shown.
  • A fact is established about a character (e.g: protagonist can cook, villain in an evil organisation disagrees with their rules)
  • any use of Checkov's gun (this is a good thing tho)

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
maxgap12345
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

One cliche is when people tell their waiter there’s a fly in their soup

Spy sappin' my signature!

Spycapt54
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Stories where the parents are “too busy with work” and need to learn how to “spend time with family”.

I understand where the moral is coming from but I still think it's not a very good story element.
Dabzers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Cliche Topic

Advertisements in popular project comment sections and the like

inactive

yay october