Discuss Scratch

Enderdragonfarmy
Scratcher
5 posts

Saturation Block

This goes with the color, brightness, pixilate, swirl, mosaic and such block.
DadOfMrLog
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

And I'd like to see saturation control for the pen, too.
(See this project for custom blocks that provide hue, saturation and lightness control for the pen for now, until the Scratch devs give us built-in saturation control… pretty please )

However, I think one of the reasons it's not there now (both pen & sprite effects) is because many Scratchers would not understand what it means.
I'd be tempted to use a word like “greyness” instead, and have it be the reverse of saturation (so zero is the current default, and 100 would be totally grey, at which point the colour plays no part).

So:
set pen color to ()
set pen shade to () // why isn't this "brightness', like below?
set pen greyness to () //category=pen

set [color v] effect to ()
set [brightness v] effect to ()
set [greyness v] effect to ()
Note that the brightness effect is slightly different to the pen's “shade” block, in that it can both brighten (positive values) and darken (negative values) a costume. I wonder if that's why the name is different…?


Alternate account: TheLogFather –– HowTos and useful custom blocks (see studio). Examples below…


- String manipulation - - - X to power of Y - - - Clone point to clone - Detect New Scratcher - Speed tests studio -

BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

I've been supporting a duplicate this entire time…
Support! It could be useful for my strange purposes of creating some sort of strange dress up game



I have the strangest priorities

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (April 15, 2016 14:25:33)


A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

Support for a “greyness” effect as per DadOfMrLog.

BurnedCrystal wrote:

I am the lord of potatoes
How dare you steal my title


U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

I only half support as I did in said duplicate:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Duplicate

Me wrote:

75%, just use the art editor if you want a greyscale game.
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

Scratcher1002 wrote:

I only half support as I did in said duplicate:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Duplicate

Me wrote:

75%, just use the art editor if you want a greyscale game.

Isn't just for greyscale (I realize you know this)

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (April 15, 2016 15:27:45)


A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Scratcher1002 wrote:

I only half support as I did in said duplicate:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Duplicate

Me wrote:

75%, just use the art editor if you want a greyscale game.

Isn't just for greyscale (I realize you know this)
I know, but all the things that this block accomplishes is already in the art editor.

Last edited by Scratcher1002 (April 15, 2016 22:06:43)

BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

Scratcher1002 wrote:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Scratcher1002 wrote:

I only half support as I did in said duplicate:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Duplicate

Me wrote:

75%, just use the art editor if you want a greyscale game.

Isn't just for greyscale (I realize you know this)
I know, but all the things that this block accomplishes is already in the art editor.

This property is shared by the Brightness and Color effects (And you're also still wrong, the art editor still doesn't have a desaturate button- technically you still have to do that yourself)

We already have the libraries too :^

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (April 16, 2016 00:16:40)


A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

DaSpudLord wrote:

Support for a “greyness” effect as per DadOfMrLog.
Support for this, but since Scratch is made in America, it should be called “grayness.”
Reason: color (hue) and brightness (value) exist, so why not grayness (saturation)

Last edited by Sheep_maker (July 29, 2016 09:59:27)


- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
My signature appears below all my posts. Make your own at scratch.mit.edu/discuss/settings/USERNAME/. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums.
Cloud chats of any kind (including those with whitelists) are now not allowed.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Scratcher1002 wrote:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Scratcher1002 wrote:

I only half support as I did in said duplicate:

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Duplicate

Me wrote:

75%, just use the art editor if you want a greyscale game.

Isn't just for greyscale (I realize you know this)
I know, but all the things that this block accomplishes is already in the art editor.

This property is shared by the Brightness and Color effects (And you're also still wrong, the art editor still doesn't have a desaturate button- technically you still have to do that yourself)

We already have the libraries too :^
I know it doesn't have de-saturate button, but this doesn't make sense, why would you need to grayscale the sprite IN the project? Just design it yourself.
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

Scratcher1002 wrote:

I know it doesn't have de-saturate button, but this doesn't make sense, why would you need to grayscale the sprite IN the project? Just design it yourself.

I could say the same for color blocks

what's your point?

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (April 16, 2016 01:44:50)


A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Scratcher1002 wrote:

I know it doesn't have de-saturate button, but this doesn't make sense, why would you need to grayscale the sprite IN the project? Just design it yourself.

I could say the same for color blocks

what's your point?
My point is we don't NEED it. But nonetheless, support.
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

bunp

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
ShadowFlareX
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

Bump





just to annoy you I put empty lines here <3







BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Saturation Block

bunp

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
1MatsuLover
Scratcher
500+ posts

Saturation Block

Bump.

I left the forums. Sorry.

(Original got removed by ST.)
dinogirl112
Scratcher
78 posts

Saturation Block

Support! This would make for some fun projects Animators would find it useful too!

(Foo)
Meet Foo. She is my trained attack kumquat block that will find and destroy any evil kumquats.

;
DerpyHead0
Scratcher
500+ posts

Saturation Block

DadOfMrLog wrote:

And I'd like to see saturation control for the pen, too.
(See this project for custom blocks that provide hue, saturation and lightness control for the pen for now, until the Scratch devs give us built-in saturation control… pretty please )

However, I think one of the reasons it's not there now (both pen & sprite effects) is because many Scratchers would not understand what it means.
I'd be tempted to use a word like “greyness” instead, and have it be the reverse of saturation (so zero is the current default, and 100 would be totally grey, at which point the colour plays no part).

So:
set pen color to ()
set pen shade to () // why isn't this "brightness', like below?
set pen greyness to () //category=pen

set [color v] effect to ()
set [brightness v] effect to ()
set [greyness v] effect to ()
Note that the brightness effect is slightly different to the pen's “shade” block, in that it can both brighten (positive values) and darken (negative values) a costume. I wonder if that's why the name is different…?

set pen greyness to () :: pen

use that to stop the red blocks

Last edited by DerpyHead0 (Nov. 19, 2016 16:52:40)


when I start as a clone
delete this clone
humphrey4444444444
Scratcher
40 posts

Saturation Block

I do support but it’s a rejected feature that caused too much lag and was removed… I suppose it could’ve crashed Scratch

Do you need art, but can’t find the right people to draw it for you? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/260469/ is the answer! In need of more artists!
If you’ve already got an art shop you can join my art shop and then post a link to your main one.
Thanks!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Saturation Block

humphrey4444444444 wrote:

I do support but it’s a rejected feature that caused too much lag and was removed… I suppose it could’ve crashed Scratch
It doesn't specifically say here that the saturation block is rejected; also since Scratch 3.0 is being made with HTML5 there's a chance implementing the block could work better this time.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
My signature appears below all my posts. Make your own at scratch.mit.edu/discuss/settings/USERNAME/. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums.
Cloud chats of any kind (including those with whitelists) are now not allowed.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile