500+ posts

Paradoxes

FoxAlpha wrote:

gigamushroom wrote:

-Snip-

So a paradox infused in a riddle…

You're melting my brain. ._.
Oh wow. That really is confusing…
Congrats on the most complicated riddle/paradox here!

Warning: Complicated, and mind blowing.
Zeno's Paradox: I can prove you can't get anywhere. Before you get from where you are to where you wish to go, you first have to go halfway to the endpoint. From there, you go half of the remaining way. And halfway, on and on, but you can never reach your goal, because there will always be the smallest fraction of space you haven't gone through.
I can also prove you can't move. Similar to the above, I will use the same principals to prove you can't move. We already know that to get to your destination, you must first go halfway. In addition, before you get to the halfway point, you must first go halfway to the halfway point. And then before you get there, you must first go halfway. And on and on, you get smaller and smaller fractions of space you must first travel to. You can never move away from where you are.
Go here for more paradoxes!! Wow, this is a long sig. Bring the semicolon back to life! I'm a New Scratcher with 500+ posts!
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

My brother made up one about opposite day, and one about everything is possible.

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

WolfCat67 wrote:

This sentence is false.
Quite possibly the simplest paradox, but still ridiculously complex if you look into it.
if it's false, it's true, so it's false. illuminati confirmed

club penguin is kil
awsome_guy_360
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

JonathanSchaffer wrote:

WolfCat67 wrote:

This sentence is false.
Quite possibly the simplest paradox, but still ridiculously complex if you look into it.

The sentence says that it is false… So the sentence is false.

However, since it says that itself is false, the fact that itself is false, is false… which makes it true.

But there's nothing to be made true… so it's still classified as false.

This goes on until it obliterates your brain.

I'm running a small experiment, mind taking this?
(╭☞¬ω¬)╭☞ Hello, I'm mostly dead
Oop, and apparently so is that link-
Forum_Helper1
New to Scratch
500+ posts

Paradoxes

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

JonathanSchaffer wrote:

WolfCat67 wrote:

This sentence is false.

The sentence says that it is false… So the sentence is false.

However, since it says that itself is false, the fact that itself is false, is false… which makes it true.

But there's nothing to be made true… so it's still classified as false.

This goes on until it obliterates your brain.
Except for the fact that it can't obliterate your brain. See, before it obliterates your brain, it has to half-obliterate your brain. And half of he remaining. On and on, but it can't obliterate it!
Don't you love paradoxes!

Zeno's Paradox: I can prove you can't get anywhere. Before you get from where you are to where you wish to go, you first have to go halfway to the endpoint. From there, you go half of the remaining way. And halfway, on and on, but you can never reach your goal, because there will always be the smallest fraction of space you haven't gone through.
I can also prove you can't move. Similar to the above, I will use the same principals to prove you can't move. We already know that to get to your destination, you must first go halfway. In addition, before you get to the halfway point, you must first go halfway to the halfway point. And then before you get there, you must first go halfway. And on and on, you get smaller and smaller fractions of space you must first travel to. You can never move away from where you are.
Go here for more paradoxes!! Wow, this is a long sig. Bring the semicolon back to life! I'm a New Scratcher with 500+ posts!
awsome_guy_360
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

Except for the fact that it can't obliterate your brain. See, before it obliterates your brain, it has to half-obliterate your brain. And half of he remaining. On and on, but it can't obliterate it!

Does turning your brain into dust count?

I also have a small paradox of my own that I semi-created. =P

Forum_Helper1
New to Scratch
500+ posts

Paradoxes

awsome_guy_360 wrote:

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

Does turning your brain into dust count?

I also have a small paradox of my own that I semi-created. =P
Nice!

awsome_guy_360
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

Nice!

I always tell the truth, when I'm lying.

I adapted a sentence from elsewhere then modified it. So it might be a known paradox.

Forum_Helper1
New to Scratch
500+ posts

Paradoxes

This statement is false
Can also be:
1) Statement two is true
2) Statement one is false

JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

This statement is false
Can also be:
1) Statement two is true
2) Statement one is false
*faints*

club penguin is kil
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

A spam protection system spamming.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
MrLarry
Scratcher
100+ posts

Paradoxes

I think I made up one once, but then I forgot it.

Last edited by MrLarry (April 4, 2017 19:44:49)

This is Bob, my signature's bodyguard. He protects my signature from evil kumquats. If you want to see animations and stuff, why not check out my profile?
jakel181
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

You walked to point A from Point B which between both points is a finite space, but similar to Zeno's paradox you must pass an infinite amount of check points to get there. So when you walk from point A to point B you walk through a finite space but you also walk through a infinite amount of check points but you always end up passing through the infinite amount of check points in a finite time thus arriving at point B with infinite time to spare. But when you turn back you decide to stop at each of the check points. So now what just took you a finite time to walk from point A to point B will now take you an infinite amount of time to get back from point B to point A.

Last edited by jakel181 (April 5, 2017 15:49:16)

Disco Calculator | Is it Prime?
Translate The SDS | The Scratch Wiki

define How to scratch
think [Creative]
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons
;
1a3c5e7g9i
Scratcher
100+ posts

Paradoxes

Uncle Joe and Uncle Jim are walking to the barber shop. There are three barbers who live and work in the shop—Allen, Brown, and Carr—but not all of them are always in the shop. Carr is a good barber, and Uncle Jim is keen to be shaved by him. He knows that the shop is open, so at least one of them must be in. He also knows that Allen is a very nervous man, so that he never leaves the shop without Brown going with him.

Uncle Joe insists that Carr is certain to be in, and then claims that he can prove it logically. Uncle Jim demands the proof. Uncle Joe reasons as follows.

Suppose that Carr is out. If Carr is out, then if Allen is also out Brown would have to be in, since someone must be in the shop for it to be open. However, we know that whenever Allen goes out he takes Brown with him, and thus we know as a general rule that if Allen is out, Brown is out. So if Carr is out then the statements “if Allen is out then Brown is in” and “if Allen is out then Brown is out” would both be true at the same time.

Uncle Joe notes that this seems paradoxical; the two “hypotheticals” seem “incompatible” with each other. So, by contradiction, Carr must logically be in.

However, the correct conclusion to draw from the incompatibility of the two “hypotheticals” is that what is hypothesised in them (that Allen is out) must be false under our assumption that Carr is out. Then our logic simply allows us to arrive at the conclusion “If Carr is out, then Allen must necessarily be in”.

Lewis Carrol's Barbershop Paradox

Wao how is that possible

Uh Squidward? Yes Spongebob? You might want to look at this… HOLY SHRIMP! If we don't act now, well, think about how many clams I'll have to cough up JUST to see an extra portion of nick.com… or worse, to see ALL of it in general! *** Reader! This is not a fictional sketch! It actually is, but that's not the point. Learn more at the link that Spongebob left at the first instance of “this”.
Forum_Helper1
New to Scratch
500+ posts

Paradoxes

Claim: If you give me a head start, I can beat you in any race.

“Facts”
1) If you give me a head start, I will start out in front of you.
2) Once you start, in order to catch up to me, you first have to go to where I was when you started.
3) In the time it takes you to get to that point, I will have moved to a new location. I will still be in front of you.
4) You now have to get to where I am, but during the time it takes you to get to that point, I will have moved forward.
5) Repeat step 4 forever.

You will never catch up to me, because I will always be in front of you. I will win the race.

gigamushroom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paradoxes

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

“Facts”
2) Once you start, in order to catch up to me, you first have to go to where I was when you started.
3) In the time it takes you to get to that point, I will have moved to a new location. I will still be in front of you.
4) You now have to get to where I am, but during the time it takes you to get to that point, I will have moved forward.

You will never catch up to me, because I will always be in front of you. I will win the race.
I actually don't think that is true, unless we're travelling at the same velocity, which is improbable.

It also depends on the time duration between your head start and my start.

“You see things; and you say ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say ‘Why not?’”
Forum_Helper1
New to Scratch
500+ posts

Paradoxes

gigamushroom wrote:

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

“Facts”

I actually don't think that is true, unless we're travelling at the same velocity, which is improbable.

It actually does not depend on any of those things, as long as I am given a head start, and I continue to move forward, no matter what my speed is, or your speed.

Forum_Helper1
New to Scratch
500+ posts

Paradoxes

Bump

jbv05
Scratcher
32 posts

Paradoxes

How about this one:

There is a barber in a town who only cuts the hair of people who are careless enough to not cut thir own hair. Therefore, the barber will only cut his hair if he doesn't do so himself.

when I receive [Pardox v]
switch costume to [MIND BLOWN! v]

Last edited by jbv05 (April 9, 2017 18:41:52)

Coming Soon: Choose your Path 2!
jbv05
Scratcher
32 posts

Paradoxes

gigamushroom wrote:

Forum_Helper1 wrote:

“Facts”

This is correct, because you might be the slowest person in the world, and I might be the fastest. Also, Another aspect is the rate. You could stop to take a break, or go slower.

Coming Soon: Choose your Path 2!