miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

phone number censor and links

stickfiregames wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

Remix-the-Dragon wrote:

I do suppose if we added letters, we could keep out letters like ‘F’, so it wouldn't end up being a bad word..
The easiest way is to block out vowels (and 0, 1 and l if you really need to). You might still get the consonants from a swear word in there but they wouldn't really be noticed when they're mixed in with a random string.
Y is a vowel, right?
it makes the sound yugh
and makes the sound (insert long i)
It's a vowel if it's pronounced like one. For the purposes of this it would probably always count as one just in case.
wait cant we just copy off of “ROBLOX” and use the project name for the link?
Example:
scratch.mit.edu/projects/my-bestest-game
(dashes are spaces, unicode symbols left out, underscores left out, real dashes left out)
dov3lyn
Scratcher
100+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

Example:
(dashes are spaces, unicode symbols left out, underscores left out, real dashes left out)

That's probably best, not only so the projects dont get censored out but also so people actually know what you're linking them to on Scratch.

We could also do that for studios.

Last edited by dov3lyn (Feb. 25, 2017 18:04:29)

i left scratch a long time ago lol
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dov3lyn wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Example:

That's probably best, not only so the projects dont get censored out but also so people actually know what you're linking them to on Scratch.

yeah
Remix-the-Dragon
Scratcher
100+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

dov3lyn wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Example:

yeah
If we did that it would stop rickrolls tbh tho XD

Just your casual Eddhead passing by~
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remix-the-Dragon wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

dov3lyn wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Example:

yeah
no, you could just name the project “BEST GAME EVARRRR”
and the api would STILL show the project ID
cuz we need to know when the new digit comes so we can all favorite the project
Remix-the-Dragon
Scratcher
100+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

Remix-the-Dragon wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

dov3lyn wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Example:

yeah
no, you could just name the project “BEST GAME EVARRRR”
and the api would STILL show the project ID
cuz we need to know when the new digit comes so we can all favorite the project
yeah.

Just your casual Eddhead passing by~
dov3lyn
Scratcher
100+ posts

I just realized, there could be multiple projects named one thing if the links were the titles of the projects.

Maybe it could have a few digits before and after the title in the link?

For instance:
scratch.mit.edu/123-wow-a-game-456

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dov3lyn wrote:

I just realized, there could be multiple projects named one thing if the links were the titles of the projects.

For instance:
if its a copy it would put “#2” or “#3”.
dov3lyn
Scratcher
100+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

dov3lyn wrote:

For instance:
if its a copy it would put “#2” or “#3”.

Maybe. It might be confusing for some people, but that's probably the best way to do it.

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

Example:
scratch.mit.edu/projects/untitled-1802857876
FTFY

You could prevent the problem of conflicting names by adding the creator's name to the URL, like scratch.mit.edu/projects/stickfiregames/spray - 1.4 actually did that, and even now if you put a username before the project number it redirects to that project.

The other problem that arises from that idea is that project names change, but URLs should always stay the same. Obviously you can't just use the first name the project has because it will always be untitled. If you used the first name a user enters a project might get stuck with the “wrong” name if the creator changes their mind or it saves halfway through typing it - and there would also be no URL to use before the project is named, unless you just go back to using numbers. For the same reason, old numbered URLs would have to redirect to new named ones.

Last edited by stickfiregames (Feb. 25, 2017 19:12:32)

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

Example:
scratch.mit.edu/projects/untitled-1802857876
FTFY

You could prevent the problem of conflicting names by adding the creator's name to the URL, like scratch.mit.edu/projects/stickfiregames/spray - 1.4 actually did that, and even now if you put a username before the project number it redirects to that project.

The other problem that arises from that idea is that project names change, but URLs should always stay the same. Obviously you can't just use the first name the project has because it will always be untitled. If you used the first name a user enters a project might get stuck with the “wrong” name if the creator changes their mind or it saves halfway through typing it - and there would also be no URL to use before the project is named, unless you just go back to using numbers. For the same reason, old numbered URLs would have to redirect to new named ones.
numbered ones could stay numbered
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

With the way this is going you might want to look at this, it's a suggestion for custom project URLs. I support that, but (1) they shouldn't be able to change once you set them, and (2) each project would still have a number URL, if nothing else because there needs to be a way to refer to it before the creator gives it a name. They should have the username in them to stop namesnipes.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

;
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

With the way this is going you might want to look at this, it's a suggestion for custom project URLs. I support that, but (1) they shouldn't be able to change once you set them, and (2) each project would still have a number URL, if nothing else because there needs to be a way to refer to it before the creator gives it a name. They should have the username in them to stop namesnipes.
I dont really think this is a duplicate of that - because this isn't a suggestion
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

miniepicness wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

I dont really think this is a duplicate of that - because this isn't a suggestion
I didn't way it was - I just said that you might be interested in it given what has been said on this page.

;
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

I didn't way it was - I just said that you might be interested in it given what has been said on this page.
ok, I will go take a look
CellularData
Scratcher
500+ posts

I had an idea somewhat like that. So if you were linking to my 4th project (which is my best project tbh), it would look like this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/CellularData/4/

This would never become a problem, because if someone got 10 digits of projects I'd recommend that they be banned for spamming projects (I'm looking at you, people who say “i will move accounts at 3000 projects” and make 250 a day)

…BUT the other problem with it is really old links. There are some links left on the site that look like this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/andresmh/104/

Fortunately andresmh only has 25 projects, but if there were at least 104, that could be a HUGE issue.

So that's out.

The other idea would be like this (again using my 4th project as an example):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/CellularData/excuse-maker-9000/

And we could also make the old links redirect. So if you typed in the project's real link (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/119943773/) then you'd get a redirect to the other link which I said above.

You'd also be able to view the project's other link, so you will know if you get the 200,000,000th project or whatever.

And there's no way for one user to have two projects with the same name, so I think this will work.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized the problem with renaming projects… Uhhhhhh… We can't do redirects for that, because I might name my other project that same thing. Some websites also have number codes in the URLs so if you type in the wrong title, it will go off of the number code (and you can also rename it) but number codes are the WHOLE REASON THIS IS A PROBLEM!

So, the best solution is this:
When your project is unshared, its URL is still the number code that is associated with it (all projects will still have a number code). When you share it, a pop-up will appear that says, “Your project's title is now going to be a permanent part of its URL. This CANNOT BE CHANGED.” You can then choose to go back and rename your project, or to continue and share it. The title upon first sharing is its permanent title.

Last edited by CellularData (Feb. 25, 2017 21:24:18)

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

favorite quote: “A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.”
star sign: cancer
dov3lyn
Scratcher
100+ posts

CellularData wrote:

When your project is unshared, its URL is still the number code that is associated with it (all projects will still have a number code). When you share it, a pop-up will appear that says, “Your project's title is now going to be a permanent part of its URL. This CANNOT BE CHANGED.” You can then choose to go back and rename your project, or to continue and share it. The title upon first sharing is its permanent title.
Yeah, that might be the best way to do it.

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CellularData wrote:

I had an idea somewhat like that. So if you were linking to my 4th project (which is my best project tbh), it would look like this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/CellularData/4/

This would never become a problem, because if someone got 10 digits of projects I'd recommend that they be banned for spamming projects (I'm looking at you, people who say “i will move accounts at 3000 projects” and make 250 a day)

…BUT the other problem with it is really old links. There are some links left on the site that look like this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/andresmh/104/

Fortunately andresmh only has 25 projects, but if there were at least 104, that could be a HUGE issue.

So that's out.

The other idea would be like this (again using my 4th project as an example):
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/CellularData/excuse-maker-9000/

And we could also make the old links redirect. So if you typed in the project's real link (https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/119943773/) then you'd get a redirect to the other link which I said above.

You'd also be able to view the project's other link, so you will know if you get the 200,000,000th project or whatever.

And there's no way for one user to have two projects with the same name, so I think this will work.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized the problem with renaming projects… Uhhhhhh… We can't do redirects for that, because I might name my other project that same thing. Some websites also have number codes in the URLs so if you type in the wrong title, it will go off of the number code (and you can also rename it) but number codes are the WHOLE REASON THIS IS A PROBLEM!

So, the best solution is this:
1. Im slowly getting to 10 digits of projects - I am at 3 XD
2. projects can have spaces after them - so BIG PROBLEMM
3. there aren't 3 answers to this list.
CellularData
Scratcher
500+ posts

Spaces after them? What???

Also, in that link, I noticed something… Let's say I had two projects, one called “Example Project” and the other called “Example-Project”. With the system using dashes for spaces, they'd have the same URL…

So the fix is to use %20 for spaces.

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

favorite quote: “A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.”
star sign: cancer
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CellularData wrote:

Spaces after them? What???

Also, in that link, I noticed something… Let's say I had two projects, one called “Example Project” and the other called “Example-Project”. With the system using dashes for spaces, they'd have the same URL…

So the fix is to use %20 for spaces.
I said real dashes would be left out - so it would be Exampleproject

and you can put spaces after project's names and have two with the same name