Discuss Scratch

flying_ae86
Scratcher
26 posts

Blender (3D modeling software)

JackK211424 wrote:

flying_ae86 wrote:

ive been thinking about using blender when I get my new pc so it can actualy handle it

my problem is, are there any LInux Distributions that support Blender?

Linux would be a cheaper way to get my PC up and going so I dont have to go through the rigamaroo of Windows, Windows supports it but some Linux distributions dont.

id be using it for roblox as well to see if I can get myself into the UGC or somethign like that.

yep! blender is for linux
any specific distributions? something like Mint, Ubuntu, stuff like that? Also, Roblox needs to work on it as well if possible.

Last edited by flying_ae86 (Jan. 5, 2021 19:26:59)

EDM is now cooking up in Bandlab! flying_ae86 on YT as well!
MintyFries
Scratcher
100+ posts

I've been Blendering for 3 years now and make all kinds of stuff in it. Like this remake of a level from Yoshi's Story for the N64:

—————————————————————
Blender lover and YouTuber https://youtube.com/mintyfries
Please check out my new 3D magic wand battle game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/468494329/

JackK211424
Scratcher
500+ posts

MintyFries wrote:

I've been Blendering for 3 years now and make all kinds of stuff in it. Like this remake of a level from Yoshi's Story for the N64:
Nice watermark

Last edited by JackK211424 (Jan. 5, 2021 22:51:47)

Scratchy697
Scratcher
1000+ posts

flying_ae86 wrote:

id be using it for roblox as well to see if I can get myself into the UGC or somethign like that.

Bad news

You can make roblox models tho

flying_ae86
Scratcher
26 posts

Scratchy697 wrote:

flying_ae86 wrote:

Bad news

You can make roblox models tho

my sister swears that if you become a good enough model creator then thats another way you can do it Imao

that still doesn't answer the question of WHAT LINUX OS SUPPORTS BOTH ROBLOX AND BLENDER

EDM is now cooking up in Bandlab! flying_ae86 on YT as well!
mister_dazzling
Scratcher
100+ posts

MintyFries wrote:

Those are incredible! :O

Hey, nice to meet you! I like creating funny and surreal animations that also have story, action and emotion. I also allow advertisements on my profile!

I love jazz music, sea shanties and traditional Scottish music

I'm known as “Valdriks the Jazzborn” outside of Scratch.

Club Penguin Christmas music
MintyFries
Scratcher
100+ posts

JackK211424 wrote:

Nice watermark

Lol, thanks. I figured, it's my model, why not put my name into it (I think in the game it said “Fragile” on the back piece of cardboard).

—————————————————————
Please check out my new 3D magic wand battle game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/468494329/

MintyFries
Scratcher
100+ posts

mister_dazzling wrote:

Those are incredible! :O

Thanks, I like your Shivery Mansion song!

—————————————————————

MintyFries
Scratcher
100+ posts

flying_ae86 wrote:

ive been thinking about using blender when I get my new pc so it can actualy handle it

my problem is, are there any LInux Distributions that support Blender?

Linux would be a cheaper way to get my PC up and going so I dont have to go through the rigamaroo of Windows, Windows supports it but some Linux distributions dont.

I use Blender primarily on my Mint machine. It does render slightly faster in Linux, but at least on my Mint machine, if I want to render with CUDA on my graphics card (GTX 1080), I need to use Nvidia's proprietary graphics drivers instead of the open Noveau drivers. I hope one day they get Blender working stable for Noveau/CUDA rendering (it crashes immediately if you're running Noveau and try to open Blender with CUDA enabled).

I'm pretty sure all the major modern distros made for the average user support Blender. Not sure about the more hardcore distros like Gentoo or Arch or Slackware or whatever, but I'm sure those who are proficient in Linux will be able to figure out how to get Blender running on machines like that.

—————————————————————

awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I did this a few weeks ago:

I was trying to follow the techniques of what Ian Hubert does with making realistic environments with textures. I was focusing on getting the walls and props to look fitting in this abandoned industrial scene.

I think I could have made the plants better, but everything else is looking pretty good.

Also, I am aware this is way more “advanced” than what everyone else is achieving here with Blender, but don't let that be discouraging. (Note that I have been using Blender for since 2016)
Instead, I encourage anyone here to try making something like this for themselves. This scene is much simpler than what it looks like. It's not the modelling here that really matters but two other things that may be forgotten or skipped but are very important: texturing and post-processing.
These textures are just a bunch of photos from textures.com. I just slapped them on all the things to make it look real. The grunge and bumpiness is just part of the image. I did use the same textures fed in to a bump map node, but that's so much easier than adding proper normal maps and finding textures with them to use.
With post-processing, I can add glare (see how in really bright areas the light kind of leaks from them), chromatic aberration (refraction causing colours to separate at the edges of the image), and a few adjustments to brightness, contrast and saturation.

Scratchy697
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I messed around with my rig and let's just say for some reason the rig is doing this

JackK211424
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratchy697 wrote:

I messed around with my rig and let's just say for some reason the rig is doing this
lol what

Scratchy697
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What do you think about this?

Bacteria999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I am learning to use Blender, I don't want to brag, but I can model a donut .
Just_ng
Scratcher
500+ posts

awesome-llama wrote:

I did this a few weeks ago:

I was trying to follow the techniques of what Ian Hubert does with making realistic environments with textures. I was focusing on getting the walls and props to look fitting in this abandoned industrial scene.

I think I could have made the plants better, but everything else is looking pretty good.

Also, I am aware this is way more “advanced” than what everyone else is achieving here with Blender, but don't let that be discouraging. (Note that I have been using Blender for since 2016)
Instead, I encourage anyone here to try making something like this for themselves. This scene is much simpler than what it looks like. It's not the modelling here that really matters but two other things that may be forgotten or skipped but are very important: texturing and post-processing.
These textures are just a bunch of photos from textures.com. I just slapped them on all the things to make it look real. The grunge and bumpiness is just part of the image. I did use the same textures fed in to a bump map node, but that's so much easier than adding proper normal maps and finding textures with them to use.
With post-processing, I can add glare (see how in really bright areas the light kind of leaks from them), chromatic aberration (refraction causing colours to separate at the edges of the image), and a few adjustments to brightness, contrast and saturation.
That's insane!!!

zahmbie1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just_ng
Scratcher
500+ posts

JackK211424
Scratcher
500+ posts

Just_ng wrote:

donut picture
Ooh quite nice!
blender guru?

It would be a bit better if the sprinkles and frosting had a bit more

Texture

dmahmoud
Scratcher
6 posts

when green flag clicked
say [Hi!]

Girl || 10 y/o || Loves to read and draw || Artist and gamemaker ||
awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I photoscanned this concrete block:

This is what the model looks like in Blender.