Discuss Scratch

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

Molive wrote:

A while back on this thread I mentioned that our printers run on a paper release system which means that after you print you go to a printer, use your card and it prints there. The card reader part and related GUI is via a Pi.
Every now and then the program fails to load and it drops out to base StartX. Recently from here I managed using just the touchscreen to open IDLE, load one of the programs (starpusher I think?) and fullscreen it. So instead of printing it would show “Starpusher! Press any key.”
I then proceeded to unplug a keyboard from the nearest computer, and I nearly plugged it in but it was cable-tied. I was that close to proper printer gaming.

Interesting. They actually count the paper you use? What about the ink/toner? Printing 10 pages of text isn't quite as bad as a 100% black single page

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Molive wrote:

A while back on this thread I mentioned that our printers run on a paper release system which means that after you print you go to a printer, use your card and it prints there. The card reader part and related GUI is via a Pi.
Every now and then the program fails to load and it drops out to base StartX. Recently from here I managed using just the touchscreen to open IDLE, load one of the programs (starpusher I think?) and fullscreen it. So instead of printing it would show “Starpusher! Press any key.”
I then proceeded to unplug a keyboard from the nearest computer, and I nearly plugged it in but it was cable-tied. I was that close to proper printer gaming.

Interesting. They actually count the paper you use? What about the ink/toner? Printing 10 pages of text isn't quite as bad as a 100% black single page
When everything was being setup at the beginning of the year we could print for free. Now it costs money to print.
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Molive wrote:

When everything was being setup at the beginning of the year we could print for free. Now it costs money to print.
???
So like, they charge you for printing out assignments to turn in during class? (that's ridiculous) Or do they somehow differentiate between school-related and non-school-related? (which would be fair imo)

Molive
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bad School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Molive wrote:

???
So like, they charge you for printing out assignments to turn in during class? (that's ridiculous) Or do they somehow differentiate between school-related and non-school-related? (which would be fair imo)
They give you £9 a term for printing, an if you spend more than that you can't print anymore.
Per page:
B&W = £0.03
Color = £0.08

“You're not a sailor?”
“No, I make money off of other people's talent.”
“…You're a project lead on a computer game?”
-The Curse Of Monkey Island

- TW9saXZlJ3Mgc2lnbmF0dXJlIGlzIHRoZSBCZXN0IFNpZ25hdHVyZSAg -

awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

Molive wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Molive wrote:

???
They give you £9 a term for printing, an if you spend more than that you can't print anymore.
Per page:
B&W = £0.03
Color = £0.08
9/0.03 = 300 pages.
9/0.08 = 112.5

That's quite a few pages for one term.

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

awesome-llama wrote:

9/0.03 = 300 pages.
9/0.08 = 112.5

Not when you don't realise your printing to the printer in the room next door and spam the print button for 10 minutes wondering why it isn't working

Sigton

Last edited by Sigton (March 8, 2017 07:58:33)

Molive
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bad School IT

awesome-llama wrote:

9/0.03 = 300 pages.
9/0.08 = 112.5

Actually I think it's two terms.

“You're not a sailor?”
“No, I make money off of other people's talent.”
“…You're a project lead on a computer game?”
-The Curse Of Monkey Island

- TW9saXZlJ3Mgc2lnbmF0dXJlIGlzIHRoZSBCZXN0IFNpZ25hdHVyZSAg -

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Molive wrote:

???
No we have to pay. So in group-tasks I just get my partners to print.

*To the rest: Our printing money is added onto school fees.
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

Blaze349 wrote:

It's my opinion that if school makes you print something, they better pay for it. It makes absolutely no sense to make you pay to submit a required school assignment. That seems to me like a highly unethical and immoral system, and I'm concerned that such a system actually exists. Please do me a favor and complain to administration

Last edited by MegaApuTurkUltra (March 8, 2017 14:04:11)

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

It's my opinion that if school makes you print something, they better pay for it. It makes absolutely no sense to make you pay to submit a required school assignment. That seems to me like a highly unethical and immoral system, and I'm concerned that such a system actually exists. Please do me a favor and complain to administration
Everyone complains. It is apparently a measure so that we don't print to much paper so we don't hurt trees to much so the climate doesn't increase so the earth won't flood so we won't all drown. Bad reason.
Wedrig
Scratcher
65 posts

Bad School IT

happyland440 wrote:

CellularData wrote:

Sigton wrote:

bybb wrote:

Sigton wrote:

Lol there was a rumour that someone had DDoSed our school server using Google Docs but it was just a rumour

Sigton
How do you even DDoS with Google Docs…
Idek peeps were saying that it some extremely large document (500 pages) or something just full of images…

Sigton
My friends have done this a couple times. A couple years ago my friend made a document over 300 pages long that was purely made of this:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Someone else I know once held down the F and J keys until what was once his essay for English class was 99.9% “FJFJFJFJFJ”

If anything happened at all, it was to their own computer becoming very laggy.

Not even close, I crashed Google Docs making a document with just the words “dank memes”. It was over 700 pages.
(removed by moderator - please keep it polite)

I'm the reason why our school used google docs so much
Because multiple times people printed a doc that was 700 pages long
made by me

Last edited by Paddle2See (March 8, 2017 23:04:30)

GOSH DANG DIDDILY DARN IT YOU DING DONG
Tymewalk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

Everyone complains. It is apparently a measure so that we don't print to much paper so we don't hurt trees to much so the climate doesn't increase so the earth won't flood so we won't all drown. Bad reason.
…well that's one way to stop global warming.

Still, though, they should at least give you enough pages to do your assignments, then charge you for anything extra you want to print. I get they're trying to be eco-friendly but making students pay to complete their assignments is a little ridiculous.

bold thing - italic thing - underlined thing - strikethrough thing
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

Tymewalk wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

Still, though, they should at least give you enough pages to do your assignments, then charge you for anything extra you want to print. I get they're trying to be eco-friendly but making students pay to complete their assignments is a little ridiculous.
Think about it like this: imagine if you had to pay to sit in desks at school. Desks are things that schools are expected to provide in order to facilitate a useful learning environment, and are completely taken for granted to have at school. Having to pay for them would be so ridiculous it's almost unimaginable. Printing is the same way.

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Tymewalk wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

Think about it like this: imagine if you had to pay to sit in desks at school. Desks are things that schools are expected to provide in order to facilitate a useful learning environment, and are completely taken for granted to have at school. Having to pay for them would be so ridiculous it's almost unimaginable. Printing is the same way.
Exactly.
DatOneLefty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

My school doesn't make us pay for printing. But i am kinda a part of the IT department, and people OVER print. Students end up printing so much and they never come to pick it up. So they end up forgetting that they printed it and end up printing it again! And the ink isnt cheap…

so I might just make a system using a Raspberry Pi that lets you print online after entering your student id….but they probably will never accept my system if i make it lol

Scratch data available at ScratchDB (Status)

bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

I'm not sure how much we get to print. We got £5 to start with. 4p per sheet. All printers are black and white except the one that only teachers can print to. It's been a term and a half and I'm on £2.90.

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

bybb wrote:

I'm not sure how much we get to print. We got £5 to start with. 4p per sheet. All printers are black and white except the one that only teachers can print to. It's been a term and a half and I'm on £2.90.
Will they reset your money at some point? Like the end of the year.

Anyway, let's do maths (aaah!). £5 = 500p (p = 1/100 of £). 500p / 4p = 125 sheets.
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

jokebookservice1 wrote:

bybb wrote:

Will they reset your money at some point? Like the end of the year.

Anyway, let's do maths (aaah!). £5 = 500p (p = 1/100 of £). 500p / 4p = 125 sheets.
They also lower peoples money by a set amount every month even if you didn't print anything. I think the amount is like 10p-20p

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
krett12
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bad School IT

why?

No signature currently stored in profile.
__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bad School IT

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

At my school, if it's schoolwork it's free. If it isn't, or it's in colour, then there's a fee.

thisandagain pls explain