Discuss Scratch

darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

Spambot activity - How you can stop it

I just had a great idea! A honeypot CAPTCHA! You create a purposefully weak CAPTCHA, but it's hidden off-screen so humans won't fill it out! The spambots, however, notice hidden things, and will want to fill out the CAPTCHA. The CAPTCHA is not meant to be filled out (being hidden), and if it is filled out, you know it's a spambot!
AonymousProfessor
Scratcher
100+ posts

darkness3560 wrote:

I just had a great idea! A honeypot CAPTCHA! You create a purposefully weak CAPTCHA, but it's hidden off-screen so humans won't fill it out! The spambots, however, notice hidden things, and will want to fill out the CAPTCHA. The CAPTCHA is not meant to be filled out (being hidden), and if it is filled out, you know it's a spambot!
I had the same idea after looking at the honeypot idea!

Except for the fact that spambots can probably tell when something is off-screen by looking at the CSS, so…

I am @AonymousGuy's test account!

The word “test” in test accounts is outdated. That is why mine has professor instead!

Thanks @MicroMacro for the profile image!
darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

AonymousProfessor wrote:

darkness3560 wrote:

Except for the fact that spambots can probably tell when something is off-screen by looking at the CSS, so…
Then why not cover it up with a white-colored box?
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

darkness3560 wrote:

AonymousProfessor wrote:

darkness3560 wrote:

good idea
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

darkness3560 wrote:

AonymousProfessor wrote:

darkness3560 wrote:

good idea
The thing is, it would be hard to get the position exactly right because of how different browsers load the page and because of how CSS and HTML works.
adasba
Scratcher
22 posts

I have a few ideas for dealing with spambots. Use captchas that have everything backwards. Also, send an email to the person once they join. Tell them to reply and have them say their favorite color, movie, book, game, restaurant, food, and number. Also make them type it when they join.
ScratchJahd2011
Scratcher
500+ posts

adasba wrote:

I have a few ideas for dealing with spambots. Use captchas that have everything backwards. Also, send an email to the person once they join. Tell them to reply and have them say their favorite color, movie, book, game, restaurant, food, and number. Also make them type it when they join.

It might be a little hard for younger people to do.

…..
SilverEagle
Scratcher
500+ posts

This is horrible! CALL THE SCRATCH TEAM NOW!

haha, yeah… :3

“Treat others how you wish to be treated”
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

There is a trick to stop just about all spambots. The key is to use something that is unique to your site. Spambots can adapt to just about anything that is used on a lot of sites, but if it is only used on one site, then they probably won't adapt.

This usually involves one of the following:
  • Specialized CAPTCHAs (they don't need to be hard, they just need to be unique)
  • HTML tricks
  • Questions specifically tailored to the website
There are a lot of other things that can go on that list, but the key is to create something unique.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
ssss
Scratcher
500+ posts

A scratch project which requires you to click a sqaure

Generation 379: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
ppettitt
Scratcher
100+ posts

jvvg wrote:

There is a trick to stop just about all spambots. The key is to use something that is unique to your site. Spambots can adapt to just about anything that is used on a lot of sites, but if it is only used on one site, then they probably won't adapt.

• Specialized CAPTCHAs (they don't need to be hard, they just need to be unique)
  • HTML tricks
There are a lot of other things that can go on that list, but the key is to create something unique.
I've got an idea! The top of the signup window would change to a random color and then it would ask “What is the color of the top of this window?” You would have to choose the color from a drop down menu. That is pretty unique. We could also do something like there is a scratch cat that changes colors and moves in a certain direction. You would then have to choose what color the scratch cat is and which direction it is moving. Those things would be easy for an 8 year-old to do, but not a spam bot. And it can be formatted in HTML5 so that flash player is not required. Of course, anyone who wants to view project online will have to get flash eventually.

The semicolon will never be forgotten!
;
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ppettitt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

• HTML tricks
I've got an idea! The top of the signup window would change to a random color and then it would ask “What is the color of the top of this window?” You would have to choose the color from a drop down menu. That is pretty unique. We could also do something like there is a scratch cat that changes colors and moves in a certain direction. You would then have to choose what color the scratch cat is and which direction it is moving. Those things would be easy for an 8 year-old to do, but not a spam bot. And it can be formatted in HTML5 so that flash player is not required. Of course, anyone who wants to view project online will have to get flash eventually.
Way too easy for a spambot to detect the colour.

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.

Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

davidkt wrote:

ppettitt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

• HTML tricks
Not exactly. I need to reiterate what I said above: Spambots will not be able to get around something that isn't widespread. They can get around just about anything if someone wants them to, but nobody will bother trying to write a script to detect the color if it's just one site.

Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Spambots don't read CSS.

Sure it's possible, but 99.9% of people who run spambots don't know how to write one.

I am a Lava Expert
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchisthebest wrote:

Spambots don't read CSS.

Sure it's possible, but 99.9% of people who run spambots don't know how to write one.
Even if they did, remember what I said above. If only one site requires it, they aren't going to do anything.

veryyoungguy
Scratcher
62 posts

What if, since spambots usually post the same post over and over, we prevent users from posting the same thing within, say, 1 day?

An evil kumquat ate my signature

Supporter of
Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

veryyoungguy wrote:

What if, since spambots usually post the same post over and over, we prevent users from posting the same thing within, say, 1 day?
Spambots usually only strike once with an account. They then go to create another one.

Edit: Whoops, I misread your post. I support this.

Last edited by Sonickyle (Jan. 30, 2014 18:05:25)

No I don't make projects anymore. I left some time ago.
I only check the forums every now and then, but other than that consider me retired.
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

davidkt wrote:

ppettitt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

• HTML tricks
Not exactly. I need to reiterate what I said above: Spambots will not be able to get around something that isn't widespread. They can get around just about anything if someone wants them to, but nobody will bother trying to write a script to detect the color if it's just one site.
What if someone makes a spambot specifically for the Scratch website that creates a bunch of accounts to spam? Way too easy.

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

davidkt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

davidkt wrote:

ppettitt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

• HTML tricks
What if someone makes a spambot specifically for the Scratch website that creates a bunch of accounts to spam? Way too easy.
There is just about no way to stop a spambot targeted for a specific site. However, developers of spambots don't care about individual websites.

The thing you need to remember is that the spambots we're trying to stop are commercial spambots, and those just try to hit as many sites as possible. The developers don't care if some sites are able to stop them, they just care that some aren't.

Last edited by jvvg (Jan. 30, 2014 18:09:39)

davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

davidkt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

davidkt wrote:

ppettitt wrote:

jvvg wrote:

• HTML tricks
There is just about no way to stop a spambot targeted for a specific site. However, developers of spambots don't care about individual websites.

The thing you need to remember is that the spambots we're trying to stop are commercial spambots, and those just try to hit as many sites as possible. The developers don't care if some sites are able to stop them, they just care that some aren't.
Still, more security is better than less…

Like how about the easiest platformer game where you have to get from one side of the screen to another? That would be hard for a spambot to use…