Discuss Scratch

GoogleInScratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add "Color" To Formatting Bar

the2000 wrote:

I don't have any problem typing it out personally, but I see no reason not to have this. +1
+1 for no reason too!

edit: i created a 8th page!

Last edited by GoogleInScratch (Jan. 21, 2021 02:00:12)

I moved to DualPikachu, meet me there!
dimayajonelcid
Scratcher
100+ posts

This seems like a good idea. I've seen forum posts like TOLORS that use different colored text.
However, I noticed the white text. White text on a white background… Spoiler text… It can be abused.
I can't decide between semi-support and full support. Sure, you can report things, but remember, mass reporting is a thing, and it pretty much floods the Scratch Team's report message feed. It would be better if the suggestion was not implemented to prevent problems, but colored text appears in many posts.

Edit: I didn't know that I had 25+ posts now. :O

Last edited by dimayajonelcid (Jan. 21, 2021 03:17:00)

BCMGF1137/19
Team: H: The Series

I'm going to avoid using Support/No Support in my forum posts from now on, since they are generally pointless

44 Phonemes. Very few usage rules. Self-explanatory. Join Alphabest. Simplify your life.

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14541.0.0, Chrome 111.0.0.0, No Flash version detected

Your everyday, generic internet user.

penguinie1567, in reaction to the above sentence fragment, said: “I would do it without the comma.”
if <(inSchool?) = [true]> then
if <(pick random (1) to (1000)) = [1]> then
set [online v] to [true]
else
set [online v] to [false]
end
end
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm not sure if I've already posted on this topic, but I support this suggestion. There isn't much harm in adding a colored text setting, apart from the possibility of white text being abused (like dimayajonelcid said above). For that, I'd think the best compromise would be to simply just “hide” white from the list of colors to not outright remove the feature but also prevent it from gaining new attention.

Assuming the developers would be able to change this (meaning they have access to do so), this change could probably be done at the same time as updating the Scratch Blocks to 3.0 blocks and/or giving each formatting bar icon a bit of an upgraded look.

dimayajonelcid wrote:

I can't decide between semi-support and full support. Sure, you can report things, but remember, mass reporting is a thing, and it pretty much floods the Scratch Team's report message feed. It would be better if the suggestion was not implemented to prevent problems, but colored text appears in many posts.
I keep seeing people around this site bring up “mass reporting” as a counterargument when it comes to adding new features to the site. In my opinion, I don't think mass reporting should be a concern for a suggested addition like this.

7500+ posts (19th)
the2000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

I'm not sure if I've already posted on this topic, but I support this suggestion. There isn't much harm in adding a colored text setting, apart from the possibility of white text being abused (like dimayajonelcid said above).
I have no idea why anyone cares about this. What is the worst-case scenario with white text? Someone writes something inappropriate and no one reads it?

dogsmakemehappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

the2000 wrote:

Austinato wrote:

I'm not sure if I've already posted on this topic, but I support this suggestion. There isn't much harm in adding a colored text setting, apart from the possibility of white text being abused (like dimayajonelcid said above).
I have no idea why anyone cares about this. What is the worst-case scenario with white text? Someone writes something inappropriate and no one reads it?

and if you quote it and realize it is innapro in white text, you should report it and say that there is inappro langauge in white text on line .., so you should quote it to see the bad words

Use SHS (Shiny Hunting Simulator)
a realistic shiny pokemon hunting simulator. to use, go here.
I am Dogsmakemehappy (Github) A
Dog Lover - Minecraft player - Forum Helper - Wiki Editor
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dogsmakemehappy wrote:

the2000 wrote:

Austinato wrote:

and if you quote it and realize it is innapro in white text, you should report it and say that there is inappro langauge in white text on line .., so you should quote it to see the bad words
Good points! I actually reverse my support for removing the color white from the color list.

7500+ posts (19th)
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Y e s I love the colour tags and it'd be easier to use, and it would also promote the use of it, which I'd like to see as it would increase the colourfulness of the forums.
Support, because it can't hurt either.

ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. I don't see why this isn't a thing yet. I also don't understand why people are upset about the white or transparent color settings because you can still read the text by highlighting it or quoting the post.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think the mockup should be an A with a red rectangle on the bottom, like Google Docs.

Like this:

[B] [I] [U] [S] | [A (red rectangle)] | [(image)] [(url)] | [A] | [(list)] [(numbered list)] [(list item)] | (quote) | (browser/operating system) | (scratchblock) | [< >] []

If you click on the color button, an option of colors come up (similar to the pre-made color pallet in Scratch 2).

Still, support as it makes it easier to access.

Last edited by k7e (June 23, 2021 17:35:51)

@mythoslore was so much more obvious than @spookily
ScratchCat1038
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support! I didn't learn about the color tags for about 2 months. It would also be a lot easier to use the color tags if this was implemented. As k7e said, I think the color option should be to the right of the strikethrough option, like in Google Docs. I also think the “Custom” input should be how it is in the editor, with options to edit the color, saturation, and brightness.

shift+down to scroll
GIVE AN INTERNET
so i can feed my family

“if on edge, bounce” block visualization

oh, so you drink water?
describe the flavor without using the word “water”
Pianostar4
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, it's tiring to have to type [color= (color)]this[/color] EVERY TIME.

Last edited by Pianostar4 (June 23, 2021 18:32:34)

Guys! I’m trying to be more active! Sorry!
Quantum-Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. I only found out how to do it from the scratch wiki and there are many people who ask for how to do it. It would be nice if it was more accessible.

Notice: Everything below the solid grey line (↑↑) above is my signature and appears on every post I make. Here, it is okay for you to advertise
your projects and other creations. To create your own, scroll to the bottom of the Discussion Home page and select “change your signature”.

I aplogise if I seem a bit too serious on the forums, but I am always open to feedback on my profile.
Past PPTBF Curator || Forum Helper (TFH) || Some Python, HTML and C

————————————————————————————

————————————————————————————
Quantum-Cat
Xolay
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support! It would be WAY easier to add color to text.

I'm a 8 year old boy
[0.0](ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ::stack)('_'::stack variables)(o,o::stack control)(d_b::stack operators)(²-²::stack motion)(1_1::stack looks)(°-°::stack sound)::stack #000000//these are my kumquat protectors

if <(username) = [add signature] > then
set [big brain v]to [True]
end
WHAT??? HOW ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
<<true(::grey) ::#00FF00>::operators>
<<(::grey) false::#ff0000>::operators>
I love courtney from total dramarama
My goal:
5000 posts (::control) (::control) (::#000000) (::#000000) (::#000000) ::#00008B

Credits: Google

move (1) step::motion

hello, light mode user
hello, dark mode user

this hat is looking at u
() () ::custom hat

POV: you are a ST member about to report
See the POV of being a Scratch Team member.

atchscray isyay ayay igh-levelhay ock-basedblay isualvay ogrammingpray anguagelay andyay ebsiteway argetedtay imarilypray atyay ildrenchay 8–16 asyay anyay educationalyay ooltay orfay ogrammingpray.

PLZ buy me a Wedo 2.0

hellohellohellohello

I BELIEVE IN VS TOTAL DRAMARAMA SUPREMACY

you are not being valid offtopic there

hahaha superhero block go brrrr::#FFFFFF cap

made with uploads.scratch.mit.edu
BanMeOS
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support. Some people don't know that (use quote to see)
text
works.

([foo v] ::variables)
([list v] ::list)
set [ v].y to [] ::variables
([foo v] [ v] pos :: variables)
<[] is exactly [] :: operators>
<mouse moving? ::sensing>
point towards x: () y: () ::motion

glide () secs to [sprite v] ::motion

we reach 410 + 10 posts :: sound

lol ::operators
tripIe-A-battery
Scratcher
500+ posts

support, it would make it so much quicker and easier to colour my text!

hey, i’m taylor :)
я вчу французьку мову і українську мову | i’m learning french and ukrainian | j’apprends le français et l’ukrainien

YtArie5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

everything below is my signature, it appears under everything I post.

(Y::undefined)(T::variables)(A::control)(R::operators)(I::sensing)(E::motion)(5::looks) ::extension 

Outside I'm smiling but inside I'm sans the skeleton

Why are you here you extension user!?!?

[quote=Future Paddle2see]Please create a separate topic for each suggestion you have, rather than creating a list of suggestions. That way, the conversation stays focused and each idea can get the attention it needs.

Before making a new topic, please check out the following:
[list][url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/657522/]The Suggestions Directory.[/url] If your suggestion is in this list, please continue the discussion in the existing topic, rather than making a new topic.[/list]
[list]
[url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/343602/]The Official List of Rejected Suggestions.[/url] If your suggestion is in this list, please do not make a new topic about it, as it will not be implemented anyway.
[/list]
Thank you![/quote]

Please only create new threads here if you're a New Scratcher introducing yourself the community. Check out [url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/399690/]Making a guide/welcome topic? Please read this first![/url]
mcsquaggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

how 2 maek rainbow text im new 2 dis XD

highlight and down arrow to see all of it
this is joe: joe is protecc and this is frank (A-156 or RD-156): frank likes signatures for breakfast, HE EATS oh noes! your signature was eaten by frank! img]https://cdn2.scratch.mit.edu/get_image/project/881644940_100x80.png[/img copy this (add back the ['s) to have frank eat your signature!

(:>::#bb88f6) //jerry says hi

set [ v] to (:>::#bb88f6)//jerry block

:>::#bb88f6 hat
:>::#bb88f6
:>(:>::#bb88f6)::#bb88f6
:> [#aa77e5]::#bb88f6
:> (:>::#bb88f6 boolean){
:> ( :> v) (:>::#bb88a1 stack) @addInput ::#bb88f6
:> ::#bb88f6 cap
} :> (:>::#bb88f6) ::#bb88f6
:> [:> v] ::#bb88f6 cap
::#bb88f6 boolean

B̴̴̸͕͖͖͕̪͔̻͑͒̓͑͑̔̐̕͝E̵̵̴̠̺͔͎̫͖͖̝͑̽̓̀̓̚͘̚A̴̴̸͔̠̟͉͎̼͚̝̿͊̀̐͑͌̓͛͜͠N̵̸̵̦̻̺͇͉͍͓͚͕͊̐̒̒̾̀̐̿
Jackson49_test
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bump
YtArie5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Adding to the white text thing, the white text can be seen if you highlight it.
Highlight the invisible text below this line
Dark mode users can see this text without highlighting anything

Last edited by YtArie5 (April 11, 2022 15:04:32)

everything below is my signature, it appears under everything I post.

(Y::undefined)(T::variables)(A::control)(R::operators)(I::sensing)(E::motion)(5::looks) ::extension 

Outside I'm smiling but inside I'm sans the skeleton

Why are you here you extension user!?!?

[quote=Future Paddle2see]Please create a separate topic for each suggestion you have, rather than creating a list of suggestions. That way, the conversation stays focused and each idea can get the attention it needs.

Before making a new topic, please check out the following:
[list][url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/657522/]The Suggestions Directory.[/url] If your suggestion is in this list, please continue the discussion in the existing topic, rather than making a new topic.[/list]
[list]
[url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/343602/]The Official List of Rejected Suggestions.[/url] If your suggestion is in this list, please do not make a new topic about it, as it will not be implemented anyway.
[/list]
Thank you![/quote]

Please only create new threads here if you're a New Scratcher introducing yourself the community. Check out [url=https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/399690/]Making a guide/welcome topic? Please read this first![/url]
TheAnimalKingdom42
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP
That was a pain in the neck to write, which is why this should be added.