Discuss Scratch

CodeLegend
Scratcher
500+ posts

[ATC#5] Codegolfing to the Extreme!

MartinBraendli2 wrote:

This might be “lawyering”. If so, pardon me and ignore.

In Tee++ the token ‘_’ tells the parser to instead of treating the next character as a function, get the alternative function of the next char. It behaves a bit like the key on TI-calculaters.
So “+” will get the sum of the two numbers on top of the stack, but “_+” will get the sum of the elements of a list.
Now not all functions have a 2nd function. If no function is found, the command is spit out as a kind of error message. So “_a” will produce the output “_a”. This is a Quine, but is it a Quine according to the challenge rules?
Yes, it is. So is “_”, since it's purpose isn't to output itself. (as compared to 0, 1, 2, etc., which are meant to output themselves)
As dzaima's relies on an error, yours can too. It looks like you don't want this to be counted, but I do sanction it. I'll leave it up to you.

MartinBraendli2 wrote:

Ignore, too much lawyering
No such thing!
MartinBraendli2
Scratcher
100+ posts

CodeLegend wrote:

MartinBraendli2 wrote:

In Tee++ the token ‘_’ tells the parser to instead of treating the next character as a function, get the alternative function of the next char. It behaves a bit like the key on TI-calculaters.
So “+” will get the sum of the two numbers on top of the stack, but “_+” will get the sum of the elements of a list.
Now not all functions have a 2nd function. If no function is found, the command is spit out as a kind of error message. So “_a” will produce the output “_a”. This is a Quine, but is it a Quine according to the challenge rules?
Yes, it is. So is “_”, since it's purpose isn't to output itself. (as compared to 0, 1, 2, etc., which are meant to output themselves)
As dzaima's relies on an error, yours can too. It looks like you don't want this to be counted, but I do sanction it. I'll leave it up to you.
I think that it would bother me if someone else used a technicality like this to justify a submission. While technically legal, I don't think it follows your intention for this challenge, so I don't want it to be used. My 67 char Quine is flawless, so I'll go with that one.

dzaima
Scratcher
100+ posts

MartinBraendli2 wrote:

If so, “_” might also be a quine, since the parser actually reads two tokens ('_' and ). So technically, the Token ‘_’ in that case doesn't give out itself, but concatenate(“_”,“”), which just happens to be equal to itself.
Again, sorry if this is too much lawyering/ riding on technicalities.

Ignore, too much lawyering
my quine (“1-”) is super similar to this idea but mine instead of spitting out the command spits out 1- which is a side effect of not changing the variable. A big side effect is that the type (number or string) is carried over from the last math function called. So I can transmit one byte from one program to another!
EDIT: so I attempted it!
sender: P}F_OTV0E
receiver: (b&F<$b1E1} `r)
in the sender, write in a number 0 or 1 and upon launching the receiver it should give out the number you put in. Really shows what bugs can do!

EDIT2: it really bugs me to not know whether my 99 bottles of x program has been accepted :L

EDIT3: one thing really making my language worse is that I have no if/elses. I have to use multiple jumps & many bytes for line codes.

Last edited by dzaima (Aug. 18, 2016 22:55:45)

HELLo there
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CodeLegend wrote:

As per the rules defined by me earlier, “8” is actually a valid quine!
You said “1” isn't though

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
dzaima
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

CodeLegend wrote:

As per the rules defined by me earlier, “8” is actually a valid quine!
You said “1” isn't though
trough “8” doesn't give out “8”, it gives out “1-”. But as of now, codelegend finally understood what I meant by everything and invalidated my “8”. Now my quine is “+X” so yeah.

HELLo there
CodeLegend
Scratcher
500+ posts

dzaima wrote:

it really bugs me to not know whether my 99 bottles of x program has been accepted :L
Sorry, forgot about it until just now. In my defense, your programs should be in the project's notes & credits…

EDIT: #666

Last edited by CodeLegend (Aug. 19, 2016 02:12:05)

algmwc5
Scratcher
100+ posts

CodeLegend wrote:

dzaima wrote:

it really bugs me to not know whether my 99 bottles of x program has been accepted :L
Sorry, forgot about it until just now. In my defense, your programs should be in the project's notes & credits…

EDIT: #666
It's the devil's mark :O

CodeLegend
Scratcher
500+ posts

It was a long battle, but I think that for most of you it was worth it. Even if you didn't win, you did something that few people have ever done - you created a programming language. Not just any language, but one designed to have short programs - which you made as well.
Without further rambling, here are the results:
1st place: MartinBraendli with Tee++
As the winner of ATC#5, you may now create ATC#6, or designate someone else to do so. You may also wear this medal in your signature.
2nd place: dzaima with BYTT. You may wear this medal in your signature.
3rd place: Random-man with Legar. You may wear this medal in your signature.

Rankings can be found here

Honorable mentions:
These Scratchers not just created a successful codegolfing language, but also created 10 (or more) successful programs to beat some rather tricky challenges. They may wear the ATC#5 ribbon in their signature with pride, if they wish.
MartinBraendli with 15/15 completed
dzaima with 13/15 completed
wizzwizz7 with 12/15 completed
Random-man with 11/15 completed
m99900 with 10/15 completed
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yay, time to wait for the next ATC

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
MartinBraendli2
Scratcher
100+ posts

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

ATC#6 will probably be out in about 8h (when i come back from school). Its not a Puzzle, but a competition, so you don't have to enter your submission very fast. The challenge will be called Robo Golf.

dzaima
Scratcher
100+ posts

Gotta say, this was really fun! And I'd say pretty good for my first participation in ATC! Gotta wonder what the next one will hold.

HELLo there
Random-Man
Scratcher
48 posts

I probably could've gotten 2nd if I had entered in something for all of my programs, but I guess ease of programming was important in this competition too!
dzaima
Scratcher
100+ posts

Random-Man wrote:

I probably could've gotten 2nd if I had entered in something for all of my programs, but I guess ease of programming was important in this competition too!
Oh believe me, programming in my language was not easy. On average, ~4 hours for a program. I think that you'd have been able to get 1st place if there was more time here too.

HELLo there
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MartinBraendli2 wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

ATC#6 will probably be out in about 8h (when i come back from school). Its not a Puzzle, but a competition, so you don't have to enter your submission very fast. The challenge will be called Robo Golf.
I hope it doesn't take a month

considered harmful
nanalan
Scratcher
100+ posts

MartinBraendli2 wrote:

ooooooo
pokemans

can't wait for the last -8hrs :shipit:

some
BODY
once told me
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why are they all now golf related?

Sigton

Random-Man
Scratcher
48 posts

Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting…

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
That's a bit of an exaggeration… if it is golf related, then it would only be the second out of six, but I believe, based on the image, @MartinBrandli2 means literally relating to the golf idea of getting a ball in a hole in as little pushes as possible, whereas this was a codegolf, relating only to golf in the sense that you want a low score…
novice27b
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I just wish I spent more time on mine. I could easily have solved most of the challenges, although my scores still wouldn't have been very good.

i use arch btw
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Random-Man wrote:

Sigton wrote:

Sigton
That's a bit of an exaggeration… if it is golf related, then it would only be the second out of six, but I believe, based on the image, @MartinBrandli2 means literally relating to the golf idea of getting a ball in a hole in as little pushes as possible, whereas this was a codegolf, relating only to golf in the sense that you want a low score…
Yes, I was simply exaggerating *sigh*

Sigton

wizzwizz7
Scratcher
500+ posts

CodeLegend wrote:

*its