Discuss Scratch

titanscratch
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

There's one GIGANTIC problem:
Everybody knows that mobile phones and tablets DON'T have keyboards! So for this block…
when [space v] key pressed
…to work, there needs to be a keyboard! But mobile phones and tablets DON'T have keyboards so the block won't work!!!!!!!!!!

Scratch Wiki Contributor • Active Forum User • New goal: 500 posts • 310/500 posts (62%)My projectsMy studiosMy profile

(-_-) // This is the Bob the good kumquat. He and his army fight evil kumquats.
(-@-) // This is one of the evil kumquats that eat up your signature!!!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

titanscratch wrote:

There's one gigantic problem:
Everybody knows that mobile phones and tablets don't have keyboards! So for this block…
…to work, there needs to be a keyboard! But mobile phones and tablets don't have keyboards so the block won't work!
Please don't-
- Talk in full caps (especially large, bold etc)
- Symbol spam
- Emoji spam
This is the AT's, not the new scratcher's forum

I'm sure that the ST will have a solution for this, since it would be a bit of an oversight not to account for this

Sigton

awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Ed8 wrote:

HTML5 loading sign idea for scratch 3.0: click here to go to image
code:

Big code here that i snipped to save space in an edit that i made just now because i realised that the code was too long and needed a snip to save fourm space so this page doesn't get full with just two posts. I'm sorry, i was talking to someone while typing this and i just kept on typin'
Is this just the styling or is it meant to work? Also with what you have, it would just jump from start to finish.

Last edited by awesome5185 (April 10, 2017 13:02:51)

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Links:
Volume Counter! - My first iOS app!
Ask Ouija Studio! - Get answers to your questions one letter at a time!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Sigton wrote:

titanscratch wrote:

Everybody knows that mobile phones and tablets don't have keyboards! So for this block…
…to work, there needs to be a keyboard! But mobile phones and tablets don't have keyboards so the block won't work!
Please don't-
- Talk in full caps (especially large, bold etc)
- Symbol spam
- Emoji spam
This is the AT's, not the new scratcher's forum

I'm sure that the ST will have a solution for this, since it would be a bit of an oversight not to account for this

Sigton
i'm pretty sure there's a separate thread for this. But i would prefer nothing to happen than a workaround.

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Links:

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
thisandagain
Forum Moderator
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

titanscratch wrote:

Everybody knows that mobile phones and tablets DON'T have keyboards! So for this block…
…to work, there needs to be a keyboard! But mobile phones and tablets DON'T have keyboards so the block won't work!!!!!!!!!!

Good catch. That is indeed something we are thinking about / working on!
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

titanscratch wrote:

I think that nothing should happen as workarounds would be too complicated. So maybe a detect if running on mobile block? So that people can code an entirely new UI just for mobile.

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Links:

Ed8
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

awesome5185 wrote:

Ed8 wrote:

HTML5 loading sign idea for scratch 3.0: click here to go to image
code:

Big code here that i snipped to save space in an edit that i made just now because i realised that the code was too long and needed a snip to save fourm space so this page doesn't get full with just two posts.
Is this just the styling or is it meant to work? Also with what you have, it would just jump from start to finish.
Bolth, actually. With JavaScript, you can make it functional.

Scratch 3.0 is here!
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

awesome5185 wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

titanscratch wrote:

mobile phones and tablets DON'T have keyboards

I think that nothing should happen as workarounds would be too complicated. So maybe a detect if running on mobile block? So that people can code an entirely new UI just for mobile.
Alternatively there can be a show/hide onscreen keyboard button in the player that would allow users to press the keys on the screen.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
hiccup01
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

awesome5185 wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

titanscratch wrote:

…to work, there needs to be a keyboard! But mobile phones and tablets don't have keyboards so the block won't work!!!!!
~snip~
The issue with a isMobile? block is that mobile compatibility would still be broken on older projects…

Last edited by hiccup01 (April 11, 2017 04:41:06)

I'm a veteran Scratcher who likes to challenge themself with Scratch's limited toolset.
website | github
iamunknown2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

Maybe make it so that does-not-work-on mobile blocks are highlighted in some way?

Maybe an “on mobile phone” event c-block or a sensing “on mobile phone?” Boolean block could be introduced as well.

| My website | Using Geany | A Christian | Running Ubuntu MATE 14.04 with Flash 18.0 (release 0) | Search this with quotation marks on Google to view my posts: “ellipsepostpianolizard” (some posts may not show up) |

Moving on from Scratch? Learn Python/a scripting language (e.g Perl, JavaScript), then move on to a C derivative
DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

“The project you using is not made with mobile devices in mind please use a computer to view this”
Continue?
Add a check mark while sharing project “Works with mobile devices”
“The project you are using has not been edited in Scratch 3.0 therefor it may not have mobile support”
Continue?

Also add a isMobile? block

titanscratch
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

hiccup01 wrote:

awesome5185 wrote:

thisandagain wrote:

titanscratch wrote:

…to work, there needs to be a keyboard! But mobile phones and tablets don't have keyboards so the block won't work!!!!!
~snip~
The issue with a isMobile? block is that mobile compatibility would still be broken on older projects…
And mobile phones and tablets don't have mouses so these blocks won't work as well!
<mouse down?>
<touching [mouse-pointer v] ?>
P.S. You can plug in a keyboard and a mouse into some tablets, including mine!

Scratch Wiki Contributor • Active Forum User • New goal: 500 posts • 310/500 posts (62%)My projectsMy studiosMy profile

(-_-) // This is the Bob the good kumquat. He and his army fight evil kumquats.
(-@-) // This is one of the evil kumquats that eat up your signature!!!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
dzaima
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0

titanscratch wrote:

And mobile phones and tablets don't have mouses so these blocks won't work as well!
<mouse down?>
Mouse does work as the touch point. <mouse down?> would equal is screen touched, <touching mouse-pointer?> “is a/the(whether to allow multi-touch or not is a big decision) touch point on me”.
Another thing is multi-touch support - I'd guess that it wouldn't be added (trough it would be cool and advanced scratchers could probably do it if <touching mouse-pointer?> gives true for any point not just one).
About keyboard stuff - there should probably be some option to allow a virtual keyboard (trough an issue would be (as far as I know) that android keyboards don't support “is key pressed”, only “when key pressed”) for compatibility, but that should be an option.

HELLo there
DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

dzaima wrote:

titanscratch wrote:

<mouse down?>
Mouse does work as the touch point. <mouse down?> would equal is screen touched, <touching mouse-pointer?> “is a/the(whether to allow multi-touch or not is a big decision) touch point on me”.
Another thing is multi-touch support - I'd guess that it wouldn't be added (trough it would be cool and advanced scratchers could probably do it if <touching mouse-pointer?> gives true for any point not just one).
About keyboard stuff - there should probably be some option to allow a virtual keyboard (trough an issue would be (as far as I know) that android keyboards don't support “is key pressed”, only “when key pressed”) for compatibility, but that should be an option.
This would fix it

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

“The project you using is not made with mobile devices in mind please use a computer to view this”
Continue?
Add a check mark while sharing project “Works with mobile devices”
“The project you are using has not been edited in Scratch 3.0 therefor it may not have mobile support”
Continue?

Also add a isMobile? block

NitroCipher
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

there could be a tag for projects that are mobile-ready

I hope my post helped you in some way! Post count: 500+

Current project: [s3Blocks: scratchblocks rewritten for Scratch 3.0] ::#4b4a60 //https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/290031/ Basically done!
This is my signature identifier “aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=”
Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

I'm wondering… will the size of the stage/max size of costumes and backdrops will be increased to 1920 x 1080???

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 1, 2020 00:00:00)
oh no, the joke is dead because that time is no longer in the future :I
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Apr. 20, 2069 00:00:00)
that's better
;
IgDegOo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

Greenduck54 wrote:

I'm wondering… will the size of the stage/max size of costumes and backdrops will be increased to 1920 x 1080???
no
Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

IgDegOo wrote:

Greenduck54 wrote:

no
rip

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 1, 2020 00:00:00)
oh no, the joke is dead because that time is no longer in the future :I
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Apr. 20, 2069 00:00:00)
that's better
;
_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 3.0

IgDegOo wrote:

Greenduck54 wrote:

no
Citation? I'm pretty sure it isn't confirmed, but thisandagain did say mid-last year to “stay tuned” on the topic of 16:9/1080p stages:

thisandagain wrote:

happyland440 wrote:

I hope Scratch will be in the 16:9 ratio for us with 1080p screens. Finally, some HD projects.
We are considering that, though we are not 100% sure how we will deal with backwards compatibility quite yet. Stay tuned.

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20 21, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
NitroCipher
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0

thisandagain wrote:

happyland440 wrote:

I hope Scratch will be in the 16:9 ratio for us with 1080p screens. Finally, some HD projects.
We are considering that, though we are not 100% sure how we will deal with backwards compatibility quite yet. Stay tuned.

In my opinion it should be set in the project config. The old projects should all be set to 4:3 by default.

I hope my post helped you in some way! Post count: 500+

Current project: [s3Blocks: scratchblocks rewritten for Scratch 3.0] ::#4b4a60 //https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/290031/ Basically done!
This is my signature identifier “aWFtbml0cm9jaXBoZXI=”