Discuss Scratch

MinecraftRunner
Scratcher
50 posts

RGB or Hex input for colors in Bitmap and Vector

Support! I've been wanting this feature for a long time, and it would make the paint editor MUCH better.
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MinecraftRunner wrote:

Support! I've been wanting this feature for a long time, and it would make the paint editor MUCH better.
Great! And thanks for that much needed bump!

I’m Back!
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bumpity bump bump

I’m Back!
P-Code
Scratcher
500+ posts

Hmm, semi-support. I think this would be a useful feature - it is a bit hard to get an exact color without the hex or RGB code. But couldn't you just use another drawing program?

P - C O D E
Powered by creativity

“Excuse me, sir, can you direct me to de naval base in Alameda? It's vere dey keep de nuclear wessels. Nu-cle-ar wessels.” - Pavel Chekov, Stаr Тrеk IV: Тhе Voyаge Ноmе

Need to search the forums? You can use Google, Bing, or any search engine.

Did you find my post helpful? If you did, why not boost my Internet count?
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

P-Code wrote:

Hmm, semi-support. I think this would be a useful feature - it is a bit hard to get an exact color without the hex or RGB code. But couldn't you just use another drawing program?
You could, but not everyone has access/is capable of (me ) using something like, say, Inkscape.

I’m Back!
P-Code
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bright-Idea wrote:

P-Code wrote:

You could, but not everyone has access/is capable of (me ) using something like, say, Inkscape.

True… Drawing programs do take a while to learn. That would be harder than just typing in a hex or RGB code.

Full support now.

P - C O D E
Powered by creativity

“Excuse me, sir, can you direct me to de naval base in Alameda? It's vere dey keep de nuclear wessels. Nu-cle-ar wessels.” - Pavel Chekov, Stаr Тrеk IV: Тhе Voyаge Ноmе

Need to search the forums? You can use Google, Bing, or any search engine.

Did you find my post helpful? If you did, why not boost my Internet count?
TheUltimatum
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support for this! Especially the hex one!
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump
(Darn 60 second rule)

I’m Back!
Ninkancho
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support. The workaround is tedious to construct, and any colors not already in RGB decimal or HSL must be converted using a site like ColorHexa.com to use them. Opening up the possibility to type color codes in these other existing, important formats would be a very helpful stepping stone for those wanting to go into web development, where eyedropper-style color pickers aren't built into the languages.

Ziggy741 wrote:

Bright-Idea wrote:

Ummm, no. That's what I'm suggesting. The site has a name for a color, like I said, INDIGO. It also has a hexadecimal color code, in this case, the one for INDIGO is #2E0854. There is currently no system to use RGB/Hex codes, so I'm suggesting that this feature be implemented since most other coloring programs (inkscape, Microsoft Paint, etc) have it. If you don't know what RGB/Hex codes are, they're more detailed descriptions of a color, instead of just saying Red, you get a code that tells you what color it is. Do you get it now?
?
In most other programming languages, you can't represent a color as a color swatch, because the languages are text-based. Therefore, many text-based color formats have been devised to represent colors using numbers.

Note also that you can't use the color picker on other tabs or windows, so with the current tools, Scratch (mostly) limits you to imprecise colors.

The Computer Colors Scratch Wiki article is good for reading up on common formats, but I will attempt explain the two formats being discussed in this topic.

RGB stands for Red Green Blue. The pixels that make up a device's screen are usually made of tiny red, green, and blue lights, and RGB colors let you define how bright each light should be, on a scale from 0 to 255. The syntax for this color code is rgb(RRR,GGG,BBB). Scratch does have a workaround for this color format, but it is difficult to understand.

As an example, for a bluish purple in RGB, you could set the red light to half-brightness, the green one to completely off, and blue to full brightness (so it is more blue than red), like this: rgb(128,0,255)

Hex stands for hexadecimal, or base 16. The decimal (base 10) numerical system we're used to uses ten digits, 0 through 9 (0123456789); hexadecimal uses sixteen, 0 through F (0123456789ABCDEF). The result is a numerical system where you can represent numbers 0 to 255 as 0 to FF. Therefore, you can represent any brightness level for a light in only two digits. This means that hex colors are kind of like more abbreviated forms of RGB colors. You currently can't use hexadecimal colors in Scratch at all.

Two digits for three lights means that every hexadecimal color code uses six digits, with a number sign in front to signify that the color is in hexadecimal. The whole code ends up looking like #RRGGBB. 80 is half of 100 (FF+1), so you can represent that same bluish purple from before as #8000FF.

For both of these color formats, you can get different colors by mixing different levels of red, green, and blue. Setting all of the lights to off produces black, while setting them all to full brightness produces white. Other than this, setting red, green, and blue all to the same level (e.g. rgb(128,128,128) or #808080) produces gray. Mixing red and green (e.g. rgb(255,255,0) or #FFFF00) produces yellow. Mixing green and blue produces cyan. Mixing red and blue produces magenta.

I hope you (and anyone else reading this post!) now understand what these color formats are, how they are used, and why they could be useful! If you have any further questions, please try to say specifically what you don't understand, instead of quoting an entire post and typing a few question marks.

Last edited by Ninkancho (Sept. 21, 2016 05:24:36)

Ninkancho STUDIO☁️ Cloud Clicker DEMO
Let's Play TogetherAnother Rather Unremarkable PlatformerSinewarper
public class Scrape{public static void main(String[] args){Scrape myScrape=new Scrape();myScrape.eternally{myScrape.picture();myScrape.write();myScrape.tell();}}}
Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 51.0.2704.79, Flash 23.0 (release 0)), Flash 23.0 (release 0)
kajquats;
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ninkancho wrote:

-snipidy do da, snipidy day-
Thanks for your support, and great explanation! I'm pretty sure she gave up arguing or something like that, since she hasn't responded. But if she ever comes back to check on the topic she'll see your post.
I might even put an abbreviated version of what you said on the OP.

I’m Back!
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump
I hate you, 60 second rule.

I’m Back!
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

I’m Back!
Griffenlover
Scratcher
100 posts

support! would help get custom colors easier as you could just write down their RBG/Hex value and put it in when you need that color

play my desert decorate game!
help me with pokemon channel please!
if you see me on forums a lot that's because i get bored a lot so i browse forums :L
i mostly use forums, but i'm debating weither to animate again now that i have my drawing tablet
if you see this then you earned a hug
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

I’m Back!
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yes please

Also, fix the bitmap editor in general? The selection tool seems pretty bugged out right now :^

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BurnedCrystal wrote:

Yes please

Also, fix the bitmap editor in general? The selection tool seems pretty bugged out right now :^
Yeah, I agree with that, too. (Not gonna add it because it's not related to the topic)

I’m Back!
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bright-Idea wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that, too. (Not gonna add it because it's not related to the topic)

I know, just my misplaced whining is all :^

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
JavierAlt100
Scratcher
11 posts

BBump

JavierR100's Alternate Account, just ignore the siggy.
[$( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)$]

Is this creepy or funny?
No racism Intended

Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

I’m Back!
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts