Discuss Scratch

Inkulumo
Scratcher
500+ posts

RGB or Hex input for colors in Bitmap and Vector

I've wanted this forever. This will be amazing for pixel artists, and people for looking for pinpoint color accuracy.
apple502j
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hex slider will be in Scratch 3

署名は、ディスカッションフォーラムの機能である。署名は、その人のすべての投稿の下部に追加される。署名は、BBCodeで記述できる。 署名を追加/変更/削除したい場合は、ディスカッションフォーラムのホームの一番下に行き、「Change your signature」を押す。署名の大きさは150pxまでである。これには、改行、画像を含む。- Japanese Scratch-Wiki 「署名
Inkulumo
Scratcher
500+ posts

Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. It would be useful in many cases when you have to input a specific RGB/HEX or HTML colour.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. - Mewtwo
cinnamon_bun_puff
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support! And if one is not familiar with hex codes or RGB codes, there could be that ‘Help’ button, and you can just play around with the hex code to find a colour if I can't think of a project to make; that's what I do!

c i n n a m o n _ b u n _ p u f f

“Even the darkest hour has only 60 minutes.”
~ Morris Mandel
Haz-_-
Scratcher
500+ posts

Botcho_Otkho wrote:

Support. It would be useful in many cases when you have to input a specific RGB/HEX or HTML colour.
^^^

continue this hashtag if you live in australia [img]http://u.cubeupload.com/rabbitcarrots/FEDB1435D41540BFB9FB.jpeg[/img] is the image code xD oh and btw this siggy is from @Hellounicorns2    :cool:
CoderGirly
Scratcher
500+ posts

I give SO MUCH support!

I agree that instead of making your own colors with the slider, or using the Scratch colors provided, we could use this and type in a HEX code to make other colors instead.

#HEX

Hi, there! I'm CoderGirly, but you can call me Jo or Codey. Want to learn more about me? Check out my profile here, or click on my username! ^w^

I am taking a break from BBB, any bootcamps surrounding BBB, and banner and thumbnail making. I may take a break from Scratch in the future as well, so stay tuned.

Have a great day/night!

If you found this, good job! You know the siggy scrolling trick! Now go comment “cloud burgers” on my profile!

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII I'M CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY HOW ABOUT YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU? lol
python_megapixel
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support. This is especially important for Scratch 3.0 where I noticed, much to my irritation, that the current system has been replaced with a hue-saturation-value model.

pythonmegapixel he/him or they/them
I have nothing else to put here for now
WeaponGod243
Scratcher
79 posts

Supports

ORANGEEE!!!!!!
BLOKBUSTR_GD
Scratcher
38 posts

This would be really useful with this:
Adobe Color Combo Picker Thing

i h8 kumquats
CeruleanRose
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support. (I think I suggested this and was told it was a duplicate a while ago but never looked at this post)

pancake

Stop :: #007FFF stack
global :: #03C03C stack
warming! :: #007FFF stack
'Sup.
 Hello there! Just a warning, I put a loooooot of text in this thing so only read it if you have time. I used the [code] tag to make this thingy. So... yeah! Hi there! I'm Isabella, but you can just call me Izzy. This is actually my second account, I'll follow you if you can follow the digital breadcrumbs and find my other. Scavenger hunt! Seriously tho I just wanted a disconnected account so if you can find it you get a digital thumbs-up. Currently, I am into (don't close out on me here!) the video game Undertale. If you haven't heard of it, it's "The video game where nothing has to die." It's got one of my favorite stories and-    well, I won't rant at you here. Don't be put off by the toxic fanbase, most of us find the small but vocal group of 10-year-olds quite obnoxious as well. Also, I'm trying to improve my art although I haven't put much of it on this account. I don't like the 3.0 costume maker interface tho because they ruined the reshape tool and now it considers a line a donut-shaped object and I used to do most of my art through reshaping basic shapes so yeah. I've recently gotten into a few art YouTubers who are my current senpais, look up WalkingMelonsAAA. I hope to draw like her someday. lol, I had this whole idea for what I was going to put in my siggy and I got waaaaay off track. It's also too long so I'll cut out some of what I was going to say. Do you have any tips on making my poses not so stiff? I know this is a problem loads of young artists have had. This account is currently most active on the forums so I most likely won't make any new projects here for a while. And this tells me you read to the end and care about what I have to say! Here's a heart. ♥ Leave a comment on my Week 4 Leilani's Art Camp project with the phrase "caramel popcorn" and I'll love one of your projects. Thanks for reading this! Bye! 
KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, it is a lot easier, and also
pancake.

moved accounts lol
Bright-Idea
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bumping

I’m Back!
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

In the backdrop/costume editor, you can change colors by typing stuff like #000000 or #ffffff (black and white) and anything in between. (Of course, the sliders will still be there.) This would be better for some people who needs a very specific color to blend in to something and they only know what the color code (known as hexcodes) is. There will be RGB sliders added too.

There will be a option to switch between RGB/HSV sliders and hexcodes. (suggested by @jbrow78)

Or at least we get to type numbers into the sliders. (suggested by @colinmacc)

There's a checkbox Also, to make it not so confusing to New Scratchers, there will be a question mark near the hexcode box, and when it's clicked or tapped, the question mark tells what's hexcode.

HSV sliders are actually more confusing to New Scratchers.

Think…
You might say it's confusing…
But why are there math symbols such as e^, sqrt, sin, cos and tan?
Aren't those MORE confusing?
Supporters:
  1. @FollowCherryBlossom
  2. @colinmacc
  3. @VFDan
  4. @Starstriker3000
  5. @Kraken_Games
  6. @NilstheBest
  7. @ResExsention
  8. @DragonLord767
  9. @–Explosion–
  10. @Luingus221
  11. @Mr_PenguinAlex
  12. @miniepicness
  13. @kritav
  14. @infinitytec
  15. @findanegg
  16. @moresnet
  17. @Truck11111
  18. @159096
  19. @mr_scientific
  20. @c_l_0
  21. @awesome5185
  22. @Mast3rGenius
  23. @Ceoreparque
  24. @openPoll
  25. @Parametric
  26. @Scratcher1002
  27. @Dolphin_002
  28. @Troyer_Kem
  29. @pinkiepie710
  30. @CatsUnited
  31. @PegasusHT
  32. @BlueStarPort
  33. @EZ-Games
  34. @Nambaseking01
  35. @jbrow78
  36. @seattleowl
  37. @Hans5958
  38. @TailsFanV51
  39. @Toad-1
  40. @SuperKamekArea
  41. @-Reshiram-
  42. @WaterComesBack
  43. @gamebeater187
  44. @WindOctahedron
  45. @Avocado–
  46. @BurnyB
  47. @SuperDoom
  48. @dominic305
  49. @awesome5185
  50. @MClovers
  51. @PinkTabbyHunterLargo
  52. @ChiaJia
  53. @_Landia_
  54. @EIephant_Lover
  55. @45afc4td
  56. @PMJ_Studio
  57. @minor-edit
  58. @OurPrincess
  59. @chrdagos
  60. @CrazyScoop
Semi-Supporters:
  1. @AFNnetworkK12
  2. @JustModern
currently no ‘no supporters’, no ‘weak supporters’ also
Main reasons on why to support:
these are the main reasons, not all
Note that these reasons are provided by the supporters, and some of them may be based on opinion, but not my opinion.
  1. Specific colors.
  2. Color blending.
  3. More colors.
  4. Less confusing.
  5. Sliders are fiddly to use.
  6. Advanced programming languages use HEX or RGB, thus teaching young Scratchers how to use them for the future.
  7. Easier to import Scratch projects to Java or HTML etc.
  8. HEX and RGB is used widely and is more popular
  9. Sliders look baby-ish.
  10. Faster to use than the sliders.
Reasons to support (from supporters){please note that not all supporters' reasons have been added onto here}:

congyingzhou wrote:

The sliders KILLED my color-detecting platformer. I would like hexcodes. It would be much easier for color-detecting projects.

FollowCherryBlossom wrote:

if you wanted a certain colour, you can also look up the hex codes. (and so it's easier to find the colour you want, if you've already used it)

colinmacc wrote:

The sliders are fiddly to use.

VFDan wrote:

I code a lot in HTML/CSS/JS, and I know a lot of hex codes. It is much easier for me to type #00FFFF than to get cyan with the sliders.

NilsTheBest wrote:

Support, sometimes I find a really cool color while messing around with a hex color selector, but then struggle to find it on the current color selecting system.

ResExsention wrote:

Support. When I do my art, I want specific colors. That's why I don't use the Scratch paint editor, since it is lacking in features.

staffordboys wrote:

support, this would enable precise color choosing

Luingus221 wrote:

Support, this could be used to teach younger programmers Hex and RGB for later use in other, more advanced programming languages.

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

Support, the sliders are incredibly hard to use, and you would keep getting a different color for costumes of the same sprite if we were stuck with sliders.

miniepicness wrote:

Support.
It would be easier to remake the project in like html or javascript with this, right?

kritav wrote:

Sliders are cumbersome to use, there should be this option because otherwise we can't put in the exact specs for a color.

findanegg wrote:

Support. Hexcode values are important for any paint program. General QoLs like this help with the “high ceiling” aspect of Scratch in which the language can be used to do more complicated things yet still be accessible to children.

moresnet wrote:

Support. The slides are a time-consuming nuisance to work with.

Truck11111 wrote:

Support, Hex-code is way more useful than sliders. Why do we only have sliders again?

159096 wrote:

Yes!!! Thank you for bringing this up!!! There are so many more ways to import colors now!!! Just copy and paste codes!!!

mr_scientific wrote:

I support this feature. I use CSS and think that adding an option to type in RGB or hex values will make it much easier for art. The sliders are not the greatest and can be difficult to use (especially on smaller screens). Also when I use a certain color and want to reproduce it for sensors in a platformer, I can simply type in a hex code rather than trying to match those numbers through sliders (I ended having to make my sprite sense multiple shades since I could not replicate the exact shade I wanted through slider). One other advantage is it will make people more familiar with hex and/or rgb codes for languages like CSS.

c_l_0 wrote:

Support. I frequently use hex codes for other projects(outside of scratch) and everything would be much easier to handle.

awesome5185 wrote:

Support. This is especially more useful as the colour picker works only within the custume designer itself. It's a very little change that has a massive QoL impact.

Mast3rGenius wrote:

Support. It is very hard to pinpoint an exact color I want, this would be extremely helpful.

Ceoreparque wrote:

Definite, complete support. I despise HSV sliders (hue, saturation, value, which is exactly what scratch now has) with every fiber of my being. An option to change how the color picker works (between hsv and what it was before) alongside being able to put in hex codes (which is, ultimately, a convenience feature) would make it perfect for everyone.

openPoll wrote:

Support for reasons stated in earlier posts. It would be MUCH easier to find the perfect colour that way

Parametric wrote:

There should be no excuse for the absence of this basic functionality from a modern day program. Full support.

Dolphin_002 wrote:

I support this! I was making a game based on another game, and wanted the colors to be exactly the same! In addition, it would allow more colors to be used (The current sliders only have 100 numbers for each value while HEX has 255.)
Also, how about an RGB option along with HEX? Back when I was learning to code, I primarily used RGB instead of HEX.

Troyer_Kem wrote:

Support, because sometimes I use same color but it changes to another color and I need copy paste a thing to take it's color.

CatsUnited wrote:

I support this idea. I believe the direction that the Scratch Team took with using HSB as the default way to define colors throughout Scratch, such as in the pen blocks and in the costume editor was because HSB is a more human way to think of generating colors on a computer (H is hue, colors of the rainbow. S is saturation - how vivid the color is. B is brightness). However, in most programs and especially in computer programming, the RGB system is used instead, where you select a slider to change the intensity of the Red, Green and Blue color channels.

As someone who's been working with using RGB on computers for quite a while, especially hex codes, I've learnt to use hex codes and I think hex codes, which are associated with RGB, are more useful for anyone getting into computer programming past Scratch than using HSB. I'd like to see an input on the bottom of any color dropdown in the costume editor where you can enter any hex code, along with having RGB be the default way for the sliders to appear.

PegasusHT wrote:

Support. I think that this would be a really efficient way to get the colour you would like.

BlueStarPort wrote:

I support. This would be a big help, especially for art, like when I need to define a specific colour that has a hex code. I was creating my OC too my other day, and I couldn't get the specific colours of the flag.

EZ-Games wrote:

Support, this would help with finding a specific color.

Nambaseking01 wrote:

It was because a lot of people want specific colors instead of certain ones, so for the ones who want the specifics — well, they could use the #ff0000 system.

Hans5958 wrote:

Support.

Well, I rarely use colors, but it's shocking that you can't do this.

TailsFanV51 wrote:

Support! I hate having to use paint.net for specific colors, or 2.0 for the color palette.

Toad-1 wrote:

Support.
If you know basic hex codes, you could type it in faster than sliding the sliders

-Reshiram- wrote:

Support! This would be very useful for many programmers, as I find it much easier to type #FFFF00 or 255, 255, 0 for yellow instead of fiddling around with the sliders.
This would also allow for much more color options. While Scratch's color system can only produce 1,000,000 colors, both hexadecimal and RGB provide 16,777,216 color options.

WaterComesBack wrote:

PERFECT!!!
I give this a total support! It would be very useful to people who can't stand using the pick color tool to pick colors!

gamebeater187 wrote:

Support. The sliders seem very counter-intuitive and makes it look like Scratch is unique (in a bad way). 1.4 did the colors right. But unless we make the color picker much better, it just make it look like Scratch's color system is outstanding (in a bad way). Adding more options to picking colors would be an easy positive, not a negative. The sliders don't have to be removed, it is just that picking colors can be updated more.

WindOctahedron wrote:

Support, because different people prefer different methods of selecting colours.

Avocado-- wrote:

Support!! This would be super useful. I never really thought about it but that could be part of the reason why I like outside editors like vectr.com and pixlr.com/x/ better than the Scratch editors (also they have more features but still)

BurnyB wrote:

I support this movement, its a simple change but would add a lot of dynamic to the editing experience. All for it.

SuperDoom wrote:

Support.
I'd also like it if rather than HSV sliders, we had RGB.

awesome5185 wrote:

This should have been added ages ago. Support for the much needed accessibility & to copy colours much easier.

MClovers wrote:

Support, the colours are so hard to use.

_Landia_ wrote:

Support, it would be so much more precise and convienient to use hexcodes. (and there's really no reason to not have them)

EIephant_Lover wrote:

Support, this would make it a lot easier for technical Scratchers, and wouldn't hurt anything.

PMJ_Studio wrote:

Oh yes, definitely support!
Writing a hex code would be much faster than perfectly placing the 3 color sliders. Very important for any program based on color detection.

ResExsention wrote:

I still wonder as to why Scratch is contradicting itself – there are complex math functions that aren't used except in the most complex of projects; and then there's a highly suggested but seemingly ignored feature that will make the handling of such a commonly used tool 900 times easier.

minor-edit wrote:

Color codes aren't such a hassle in the script code editor, where you can draw a dot with
set pen color to ( join [0x] [ ])
and color pick it from the stage.

But the costume/backdrop editor workaround is too much hassle, requiring an external program to screenshot the stage and having to upload it (and Scratch may resize the image to fit the stage altering the color) and copy it into your costume and then delete it (the copy, the uploaded costume, and the screenshot image file on your device) after getting the color from it.

Support for RGB hex color code input to the costume color picker.

(It would also be nice to have a way to input a specific alpha value for costume drawing, perhaps by pasting an 8-digit argb/rgba value over a matching 6-digit rgb value just set.)

OurPrincess wrote:

Support. There are some people who want their colours to be very specific. Using hex colours and RGB values are more accurate than the “hue, saturation, brightness” method.

chrdagos wrote:

I support. I like to use hexcodes when I work with colors.

CrazyScoop wrote:

I support this idea.

Well, I respect how Scratch teaches the colors, but sometimes, some people may move on to different languages, like JavaScript. But, that uses RGB and show the hexcodes which the person may not know what it means… Scratch could use RGB and show the hexcodes… so the person could know it.

Last edited by congyingzhou (Feb. 3, 2020 01:45:49)

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
14152cool
Scratcher
100+ posts

Sprot.

Not much else to say.

Annoyingly, my signature was eaten by a small, white dog. How annoying.

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

14152cool wrote:

Sprot.

Not much else to say.
lol

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
FollowCherryBlossom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support

that's cool, because if you wanted a certain colour, you can also look up the hex codes. (and so it's easier to find the colour you want, if you've already used it)

| Jess | 17 | Audiobook Maker | Artist | Coder | Questioning Biromantic | Writer | BROKEN + THE CYCLIST | #FINLAFOREVER

(((Finn the [Evil Kumquat Protector v]::#B22222)::#ffb6c1)::#9370DB)
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FollowCherryBlossom wrote:

Support

that's cool, because if you wanted a certain colour, you can also look up the hex codes. (and so it's easier to find the colour you want, if you've already used it)
thx

colinmacc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I support this. The sliders are fiddly to use. At the very least, we should be able to type the numbers for the slider values.

Sample Projects

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

colinmacc wrote:

I support this. The sliders are fiddly to use. At the very least, we should be able to type the numbers for the slider values.
Thanks.