Discuss Scratch

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RGB or Hex input for colors in Bitmap and Vector

jbrow78 wrote:

There could be a option with each slider like two ratio buttons one saying “Sliders” and the other one saying “HEX/RGB”
Nah it's a checkbox (first post)

Troyer_Kem wrote:

Truck11111 wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I think this would be a good feature to implement, if we can find a way to do it that isn't too confusing for beginners.
Yesss- what, oof.
Is it confusing?
It might be for people who don't use hex codes or don't know what hex codes are.
Hmm… This is a possibility. A big possibility…
Maybe they can add a question mark near it, and when the user's mouse pointer touches it, the question mark tells what's hex code.
Edit: At least you notice my post, oof.
Yeah, that would be good, see my last post

finally noticed by Paddle YES

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
PegasusHT
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support. I think that this would be a really efficient way to get the colour you would like.

;
Troyer_Kem
Scratcher
1000+ posts

congyingzhou wrote:

jbrow78 wrote:

There could be a option with each slider like two ratio buttons one saying “Sliders” and the other one saying “HEX/RGB”
Nah it's a checkbox (first post)

Troyer_Kem wrote:

Truck11111 wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I think this would be a good feature to implement, if we can find a way to do it that isn't too confusing for beginners.
Yesss- what, oof.
Is it confusing?
It might be for people who don't use hex codes or don't know what hex codes are.
Hmm… This is a possibility. A big possibility…
Maybe they can add a question mark near it, and when the user's mouse pointer touches it, the question mark tells what's hex code.
Edit: At least you notice my post, oof.
Yeah, that would be good, see my last post

finally noticed by Paddle YES
It can be, too.

Last edited by Troyer_Kem (June 25, 2019 14:24:03)

If you're seeing this account, I'm Morimop and the reason that I use this account is:

**I'm too lazy to switch accounts**
**I forget my password**
**I got a forum message while drawing something**
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PegasusHT wrote:

Support. I think that this would be a really efficient way to get the colour you would like.
Thanks and added!

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising)
and now i have finally removed that line of links, a lot don't work anyway after I unshared a bunch of projects
Oh look a rainbow (I wanted to make my whole signature a rainbow, but busted character limit)
2nd most-poster in Requests (still???), top 20 most-poster overall, 7.3K posts total, 6.5K requests foolproof mind reader??, try to beat the unbeatable tic-tac-toe AI
JustModern
New to Scratch
2 posts

There's a workaround to still get the color you want. Just search it up on google, get a nice picture of the color and import it to Scratch. Then you can just use the color picker to get that color.

It would be a pretty good idea, but I don't think that this is needed right now and the Scratch Team probably has more important things to do.

Semi support.
Troyer_Kem
Scratcher
1000+ posts

JustModern wrote:

There's a workaround to still get the color you want. Just search it up on google, get a nice picture of the color and import it to Scratch. Then you can just use the color picker to get that color.

It would be a pretty good idea, but I don't think that this is needed right now and the Scratch Team probably has more important things to do.

Semi support.
The support amount falls to near 98%
Anyways, this idea got noticed and will be applied if they find a way to oversimple it. -congrats troyer, you kill grammar-
TIMES I SAY ANYWAYS: 5

If you're seeing this account, I'm Morimop and the reason that I use this account is:

**I forget my password**
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

JustModern wrote:

Semi support.

*gasp*

The issue with your workaround is that oftentimes even though images that look like they're one color is actually a very subtle gradient. How would you get the color then?

And yes, @Paddle2See supported this idea, but we first have to find a way to simplify it.

My suggestion for oversimplification: just like the way you can shift click the edit button to get some advanced options, this should be the same, allowing you to shift click the color selection button to bring up additional options.

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

JustModern wrote:

Semi support.
Well, that would be really inconvenient.

Complex art with lots of colors AND needed to be specific would be hard.

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Troyer_Kem wrote:

JustModern wrote:

Semi support.
Anyways, this idea got noticed and will be applied if they find a way to oversimple it. -congrats troyer, you kill grammar-
well 98 rounded off = 100
times I say be patient: 7

Troyer_Kem
Scratcher
1000+ posts

congyingzhou wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

JustModern wrote:

Semi support.
Yeah. There are over 30 supporters. How can 2 semi supporters stop this idea?

**I forget my password**
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Troyer_Kem wrote:

congyingzhou wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

JustModern wrote:

Semi support.
Yeah. There are over 30 supporters. How can 2 semi supporters stop this idea?
meh…
this is currently the dominant active suggestion

Troyer_Kem
Scratcher
1000+ posts

congyingzhou wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

congyingzhou wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

JustModern wrote:

Semi support.
Yeah. There are over 30 supporters. How can 2 semi supporters stop this idea suggestion?
meh…
this is currently the dominant active suggestion
I don't see a suggestion that be active so long like this.
my grammar ;-;

**I forget my password**
BlueStarPort
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support. This would be a big help, especially for art, like when I need to define a specific colour that has a hex code.
Troyer_Kem
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BlueStarPort wrote:

I support. This would be a big help, especially for art, like when I need to define a specific colour that has a hex code.
I agree your example. Because it happened to me yesterday. It was very hard while creating my OC.

**I forget my password**
Troyer_Kem
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Troyer_Kem wrote:

BlueStarPort wrote:

I agree your example. Because it happened to me yesterday. It was very hard while creating my OC.
WHY, THIS IS AT LEAST FIFTH TIMES MY POST CREATES A NEW PAGE
Anyways, congrats on your ninth page, oof.
TIMES I SAY ANYWAYS: 6

Last edited by Troyer_Kem (June 27, 2019 10:41:23)

**I forget my password**
BlueStarPort
Scratcher
100+ posts

Troyer_Kem wrote:

BlueStarPort wrote:

I was creating my OC too my other day, and I couldn't get the specific colours of the flag.
congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BlueStarPort wrote:

Thanks and added!

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Troyer_Kem wrote:

Troyer_Kem wrote:

BlueStarPort wrote:

WHY, THIS IS AT LEAST FIFTH TIMES MY POST CREATES A NEW PAGE
Anyways, congrats on your ninth page, oof.
TIMES I SAY ANYWAYS: 6
Well it do seems to be a coincidence.

But each page has 20 posts and you can calculate the number.

(anyways is not very rare since you can almost say it in every post)

Parametric
Scratcher
91 posts

Implementing this would be confusing for newcomers? I'm sorry Paddle2See, but I strongly disagree. Here's why.

Limiting the methods in which people can perform a task is objectively steeper of a learning curve than having all the options available. Let's just say there's a child out there who uses Scratch and has experience in MS Paint (or practically any image editing software) where all you have to do to select a colour is look for the one you want in the palette and click on it. It's an intuitive response. Now imagine this child tries to use the Scratch paint editor.

Which do you think would be more confusing:
1) having a visual diagram of what he's actually doing, but having some weird numbers and sliders at the bottom that he doesn't understand (which are completely optional and don't complicate his experience unless he actively tries to learn about them at his own pace)
or 2) being forced to use said sliders to unintuitively fiddle around until he gets a vague semblance of what they mean, all the while stopping his creative energy to learn something that was a given in every other program?

I'm gonna take a wild guess is that the second option would be more confusing for this child. I mean, I'm nineteen and I still don't really get a “feel” for HSV despite understanding the technical workings of it. Imagine how inconvenient it would be for someone who doesn't already understand it.

My point is, if you're going to exclude features for the sake of simplicity, it feels like a conflict of interest to take away the most intuitive way of learning in favour of the least intuitive one. It'd be like if you played a game where the “easy mode” skips you to the last level. Sure, it'd be shorter of a journey for players to reach the ending, but that doesn't mean unaffiliated players would have an easier time playing because they haven't been introduced gradually to any of the game's mechanics. Having the earlier levels may add more to the total length of the game, but it's a whole lot easier (and more enjoyable) than forcing newcomers to be thrown in the deep end expecting them to figure it out on their own.

And if the argument is that “too many ways of selecting colour could be overwhelming”, I reiterate my example of Microsoft Paint. Paint (under the Custom Colours menu) has RGB values, HSV values, a colour spectrum graph, and a selectable palette. Are you seriously telling me that Paint (which is widely regarded to be the easiest image program in existence) is too complicated for kids to understand? I've used Paint since I was around five years old, and at no point have I ever wondered “wow this is really cool, but I sure wish they got rid of every colour selection method except HSV. that'd make this a whole lot easier”.

The fact that this discussion even needed to take place is ridiculous.

(Edit: fixed some typos)

Last edited by Parametric (June 28, 2019 07:17:55)

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Parametric wrote:

Implementing this would be confusing for newcomers? I'm sorry Paddle2See, but I strongly disagree. Here's why.

Limiting the methods in which people can perform a task is objectively steeper of a learning curve than having all the options available. Let's just say there's a child out there who uses Scratch and has experience in MS Paint (or practically any image editing software) where all you have to select a colour is look for the one you want in the palette and click on it. It's an intuitive response. Now imagine this child tries to use the Scratch paint editor.

Which do you think would be more confusing:
1) having a visual diagram of what he's actually doing, but having some weird numbers and sliders at the bottom that he doesn't understand (which are completely optional and don't complicate his experience unless he actively tries to learn about them at his own pace)
or 2) being forced to use said sliders to unintuitively fiddle around until he gets a vague semblance of what they mean, all the while stopping his creative energy to learn something that was a given in every other program?

I'm gonna take a wild guess is that the second option would be more confusing for this child. I mean, I'm nineteen and I still don't really get a “feel” for HSV despite understanding the technical workings of it. Imagine how inconvenient it would be for someone who doesn't already understand it.

My point is, if you're going to exclude features for the sake of simplicity, it feels like a conflict of interest to take away the most intuitive way of learning in favour of the least intuitive one. It'd be like if you played a game where the “easy mode” skips you to the last level. Sure, it'd be shorter of a journey for players to reach the ending, but that doesn't mean unaffiliated players would have an easier time playing because they haven't been introduced gradually to any of the game's mechanics. Having the earlier levels may add more to the total length of the game, but it's a whole lot easier (and more enjoyable) than forcing newcomers to be thrown in the deep end expecting them to figure it out on their own.

And if the argument is that “too many way of selecting colour could be overwhelming”, I reiterate my example of Microsoft Paint. Paint (under the Custom Colours menu) has RGB values, HSV values, a colour spectrum graph, and a selectable palette. Are you seriously telling me that Paint (which is widely regarded to be the easiest image program in existence) is too complicated for kids to understand? I've used Paint since I was around five years old, and at no point have I ever wondered “wow this is really cool, but I sure wish they got rid of every colour selection method except HSV. that'd make this a whole lot easier”.

The fact that this discussion even needed to take place is ridiculous.
The thing that everyone gets wrong is that New Scratchers aren't new to IT in real life. They're not sure to be young or anything.