Discuss Scratch

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

Easier way of combining "Join", "And" and "Or" blocks.

AonymousGuy wrote:

Zambonifofex wrote:

be smart. do that:
when gf clicked
if <<<<<> or <>> or <<> or <>>> or <<<> or <>> or <<> or <<> or <>>>>> or <<<<<> or <>> or <>> or <<> or <>>> or <<<> or <>> or <<> or <>>>>> then
show
or
when green flag clicked
if <<<<<<> or <>> or <<> or <>>> or <<<> or <>> or <<> or <>>>> or <<<<> or <>> or <>> or <<> or <>>>> or <<<<> or <>> or <<> or <>>> or <<<> or <>> or <<> or <>>>>> then
show
end
These can still be hard to pick up. And sometimes, you can't just plan like that.

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PhirripSyrrip wrote:

These can still be hard to pick up. And sometimes, you can't just plan like that.
I know. I never plan like that.

Anyways, I think that the highest priority should be the join block.
k9lego
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Oh my goodness! SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS. My sister @v9lego Supports it too! (2 Years later…) ! k9lego

- Let's Eat  Grandma! This is a hidden advertisement for the Collab Hyper Cloud Inc. :)
- Let's Eat, Grandma!
Commas Save Lives!

Nothing Much here…

If you want to reply to me, please comment with the link to the topic “On my profile page”. thanks. k9lego
frodewin
Scratcher
500+ posts

support

You can also find my best projects here or stop at my profile and say hi!
jt004c
Scratcher
2 posts

Support!
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jt004c wrote:

Support!
Do you mind giving a reason of doing so?

–DGC
Scratcher since Aug. 2015 +++ Fire Alarm Enthusiast +++ College student studying fire protection engineering
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is an amazing idea. I, too, hate the large blocks it creates. If I could do this, it would be much neater. Would I also recommend a “-” button underneath the “+” to remove extras you may have?

-Cate-
New to Scratch
10 posts

Smart and witty; improves everyone's experience with Scratch. I like it.

How to see how many posts you have

1) Click on Discuss and go to the bottom of the page
2) Where it says: Show your topics/posts click posts.
3) Go to the top of the page and it will say: Found 6 results (That's what it said when I made this siggy)
4) The number shows how many posts you have.

If you see anyone trying to copy this, please tell me.
Knowledge best served plain.
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Great suggestion, and in short, I support. This could simplify it, and for those obsessed with grammar, could it potentially be like this?
<<>,<>,<>,<>, and<> :: operators>

(Edit: When there are only two items, it's the same as usual, but when it's three or more, it changes {example below.})

Traditional 2 Item
<<> and <>>

New 3 Item
<<>, <>, and <> :: operators>

Extensive 10 Item
<<>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, and <> :: operators>

Last edited by Austinato (Dec. 16, 2016 23:23:52)

7500+ posts (19th)
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PhirripSyrrip wrote:

I find it annoying when my blocks become big like this;

The main problem here is that the block is incredibly difficult to pick up, as well as being ridiculously large and untidy. I propose a button on the edge of blocks which are commonly combined with themselves which would expand the block to allow one more input, as shown:

When the “+” is clicked, the block gains an empty field.

If a block has more than two fields, when you hover the mouse over an empty field, the field sort of glows and a minus sign appears inside it. By clicking on this empty field, you will remove it.

Thoughts?

Support! I think this would be very useful, I have had to do this a lot.

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
Yllie
Scratcher
100+ posts

I do support the idea that there should be a better way of dealing with large chunks of blocks.
However, this idea wouldn't solve the issue when you alternate/combine a lot of “and”, “or”, and “not” blocks like this:

if <<<> or <<<> or <<> and <>>> and <not <>>>> and <<<not <>> and <>> or <not <<<> or <>> and <>>>>> then

end

A better way would be if we were able to collapse a large chunk of code. This way, the above would just appear like this:

if <Collapsed> then

end

I love the idea for the join-block though! So big support to that!

Last edited by Yllie (Dec. 18, 2016 10:45:42)

DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

Great suggestion, and in short, I support. This could simplify it, and for those obsessed with grammar, could it potentially be like this?
<<>,<>,<>,<>, and<> :: operators>

(Edit: When there are only two items, it's the same as usual, but when it's three or more, it changes {example below.})

Traditional 2 Item
<<> and <>>

New 3 Item
<<>, <>, and <> :: operators>

Extensive 10 Item
<<>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, and <> :: operators>
I think we should stick to what the programming format is. We better get kids ready for programs that don't use commas for this case.

I think this is going to be a good way to help solve the block crowding within a sprite. However, when you push the plus sign, I am going to assume that you can choose the block you want (as the problem was shown with @Yllie).

–DGC
Scratcher since Aug. 2015 +++ Fire Alarm Enthusiast +++ College student studying fire protection engineering
JonathanSchaffer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

it would be way easier, support. also you should be able to right click on it and input the exact number.

club penguin is kil
ninjagolloyd
Scratcher
500+ posts

DownsGameClub wrote:

I think we should stick to what the programming format is. We better get kids ready for programs that don't use commas for this case.

I don't exactly think that using “and” is any better. What about “&&” and stuff like that?

DownsGameClub wrote:

However, when you push the plus sign, I am going to assume that you can choose the block you want (as the problem was shown with @Yllie).

What if you need to have certain operators take priority over others? For example,
<<not []> or []>
is not the same as
<not <[] or []>>

If you used both in the same block, like
<not [] or []>::operators
it could only possibly be
<<not []> or []>
. Sorry if I confused you

Last edited by ninjagolloyd (Dec. 18, 2016 14:38:38)

bean
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DownsGameClub wrote:

I think this is going to be a good way to help solve the block crowding within a sprite. However, when you push the plus sign, I am going to assume that you can choose the block you want (as the problem was shown with @Yllie).
True, and agreed.

7500+ posts (19th)
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ninjagolloyd wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

I don't exactly think that using “and” is any better. What about “&&” and stuff like that?
&& and and are both used, as are others although I admit that && is more common.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
LemonComputer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support! Who would unsupport this great idea?

Maths competition! Jobs include ‘information giver’, ‘artist’, ‘animator’ and ‘music player’! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/137008562/
LemonComputer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Austinato wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

True, and agreed.
But programming languages don't use blocks neither. May as well make Scratch a typing script program with tutorials on how to use every programming language in existence, if going by what you're saying.

Maths competition! Jobs include ‘information giver’, ‘artist’, ‘animator’ and ‘music player’! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/137008562/
Lataliat
Scratcher
100+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

My Support = Σ i^i
i = 0
Is that not undefined? It starts out with 0^0??

Antway, this would be great. Support. But how would you delete a part?

do you ever feel? ♫♫ like a plastic bag? drifting through the wind? ♫♫ wanting to start again?
The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Triple support with a cherry on top. This would be helpful in many ways.