Discuss Scratch

QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

Discussion for solving the "Fame" problem. (UPDATED)

Zro716 wrote:

QuantumPixel wrote:

Say there's this basketball court somewhere. Some kids go there to play basketball, like it's supposed to be used, and some people take advantage of the extra room to play d&d or something like that. Some of the basketball kids think that the board games are pointless and should go somewhere else, like a comic book store. The basketball kids have a point, because the basketball court is supposed to be used for basketball, but the D&D kids have a right to be there too, because it's not against the rules. Plus, sometimes the D&D kids join in to play basketball.

This is just like Scratch:
Basketball court-scratch community
Basketball kids-project makers and programmers
D&D kids-followers
Comic book store= facebook, twitter, etc…
Sounds like a fun story, but let me continue what you're leaving out:

The D&D players, feeling comfortable about their motives, move their table to smack-dab in the middle of the court, stopping the basketball game from progressing. The BB kids come over to tell them to move their table away from the court so they can continue playing, but the D&D players believe they have every right to remain where they are because it is not illegal to do. The BB kids disagree, saying that interrupting their B-ball game is disrespectful to them, and ask them to move their table to the side of the court. The D&D kids agree to that which is sufficient to allow the B-ball game to progress.

After a short while, the D&D kids are starting to get tumultuous, which distracts some of the B-ball kids from focusing on their game. Once again the game stops, and one of the B-ball kids comes over to tell them to get away from the court if they're gonna be that loud. The D&D kids resist his demand saying they are doing nothing wrong and have already abided to the terms set earlier. As more B-ball players rush over to force the D&D kids off the court, tensions escalate to a near all-out brawl.

Think you can finish the story? How about a resolution involving an adult breaking up the fight?

I agree with you with all the tensions. There has been a lot of fights, especially some with people who won't cooperate, like what you said. I guess this problem isn't so ridiculous after all, if what you say is true about the followers getting tumultous. I still think very little can be done to it, especially if people are obnoxious like your extension to the metaphor.

I guess the ST could attempt to enforce a rule, “You must have a good reason to follow someone”. (On a second thought, that would be horrible.)

I'll finish the story.

So the BB kids start a petition for the YMCA (or wherever they're at) chaperons, and they say "Something needs to be done about this D&D kids. They have a right to play their game, but not to intrude on what we're doing. The adults would then create a room for the D&D (lol no.) You could choose something from the beginning of this topic.

Congratulations, you have swayed my opinion on this topic.

ALL HAIL THE DARK LORD OF THE TWIN MOONS HAIL HAIL YES HAIL Have you heard of that rad new process called cellular respiration? It's so rad, the process of getting ATP from oxygen and carbon! Radical!

I am positive. I do not wish to engage in any conversations about AE, simplicity, or hate. I wish to ignore it and not state my opinion so, because you will not listen to me. I just want to be your friend!

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
Frenzar
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support for 2, 3, and 4.

First to supporter for 3 :O

Pickle=Support

QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

This has already been solved. You can't tell how many followers you have

ALL HAIL THE DARK LORD OF THE TWIN MOONS HAIL HAIL YES HAIL Have you heard of that rad new process called cellular respiration? It's so rad, the process of getting ATP from oxygen and carbon! Radical!

I am positive. I do not wish to engage in any conversations about AE, simplicity, or hate. I wish to ignore it and not state my opinion so, because you will not listen to me. I just want to be your friend!

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

QuantumPixel wrote:

Yes you can, hit “View all”.

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

QuantumPixel wrote:

Do you think people will count every single follower they have?

Seriously, the ST does something about the problems you're complaining about, and you're ungrateful.

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

QuantumPixel wrote:

Ah, I see what you mean. You can see the number inside. But we should still be grateful the ST did at least that.

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Since following/follower count has been hidden from the profile page I think I'll close this.

I might reopen it if F4F is still an issue.