Discuss Scratch

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Discussion for solving the "Fame" problem. (UPDATED)

2, 3, and 5.

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
DandB1
Scratcher
14 posts

I support 2 and 4.

when green flag clicked
forever  
Eat [Pizza v]
end
poniesareso
Scratcher
100+ posts

when [enter] key pressed
say [Here are the cons:
1. Making Scratch more like Instagram, not a fun programming site
2. Some Scratchers may feel guilty and quit, which I have actually seen happen
3. Unnecessary competition] for (infinity) secs
say [Here are the pros:
1. You can see what your friends are doing
2. It allows more projects to be viewed
3. It supports being friends with others online] for (infinity) secs

Okay, so that's what I think. I support 1, 2, and 20.

Last edited by poniesareso (May 3, 2014 20:19:44)

Cick dat kumqut!

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support suggestions 4 and 5.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
Swampert11
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I agree with solution 3 and 4.

Do you know a good project that doesn't have a lot of attention? Suggest a project to be put in this studio that is unpopular.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Only a Scratcher <——– Please look at it!
___________________________________________________________________________________

;

kid_KD
Scratcher
3 posts

Last edited by kid_KD (June 19, 2014 15:40:55)

Blueinkproductions
Scratcher
1000+ posts

or just:

Generation 2: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
____                  _____  _______              
| \ | | | | | |\ | | /
|___/ | | | |__ | | \ | |/
| \ | | | | | | \ | |\
| | | | | | | | \ | | \
|___/ L____ \___/ |_____ ___|___ | \| | \
PRODUCTIONS

Here's a hint: support = support.

<shameless self promotion>follow me! follow me! follow me! love my stuff! love my stuff! love my stuff! follow me! love my stuff! remix my stuff! follow me! follow me! </shameless self promotion>
cardinalland
Scratcher
100+ posts

I agree with solution 2.

move (1000000000000000000000000000000) steps
Check out this link if you like games!

FrozenFIsh13
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have three things to point out.

1) I'd like to point this out to all the people who ask for Follow4Follows: If 100 people follow you because you asked them to, but they don't pay attention to you, what's the point? The reason the follow button is there is for people to see what you're doing. The one who gets more famous, if you care about it so badly, is the one people see the projects of.

2) Most, if not all, famous scratchers say that being famous isn't important. HOWEVER: This is extremely ironic due to the fact that they are using their fame to tell others it isn't important. It's quite possible that one of the reasons ‘unfamous’ scratchers get jealous is that it can feel like the famous people are rubbing it in. On top of that, it can be taken as the famous scratcher using a point that people agree with to elevate their own fame AND yet another possibility is that the famous scratcher is trying to keep others from reaching their level. That's a problem too.

3) Lastly, perhaps the ‘unfamous’ scratchers are irritated because lately, more and more often famous scratchers are trying to tell the ‘unfamous’ to stop getting angry and are getting top loved. In my opinion, although I do not mean to be insulting, these projects, although I believe they are heartfelt, do not take a lot of programming or art or frankly, hard work of any sort. Take a gradient background, split a 2-paragraph long message into about 10 pieces, and BAM! You have top-love material.

This is my opinion…I hope no one gets insulted.

Which one's my real signature?

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Last edited by teh mods (Today 25:82:102)

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Plug1 Plug2 Plug3 Plug4 Plug5 Plug6
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FrozenFIsh13 wrote:

1) I'd like to point this out to all the people who ask for Follow4Follows: If 100 people follow you because you asked them to, but they don't pay attention to you, what's the point? The reason the follow button is there is for people to see what you're doing. The one who gets more famous, if you care about it so badly, is the one people see the projects of.

2) Most, if not all, famous scratchers say that being famous isn't important. HOWEVER: This is extremely ironic due to the fact that they are using their fame to tell others it isn't important. It's quite possible that one of the reasons ‘unfamous’ scratchers get jealous is that it can feel like the famous people are rubbing it in. On top of that, it can be taken as the famous scratcher using a point that people agree with to elevate their own fame AND yet another possibility is that the famous scratcher is trying to keep others from reaching their level. That's a problem too.

3) Lastly, perhaps the ‘unfamous’ scratchers are irritated because lately, more and more often famous scratchers are trying to tell the ‘unfamous’ to stop getting angry and are getting top loved. In my opinion, although I do not mean to be insulting, these projects, although I believe they are heartfelt, do not take a lot of programming or art or frankly, hard work of any sort. Take a gradient background, split a 2-paragraph long message into about 10 pieces, and BAM! You have top-love material.

This is actually what I think too, although I didn't think to voice it. Thanks for speaking up.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FrozenFIsh13 wrote:

Interesting ideas. I quite agree with number one.

hiccup_gaming
Scratcher
5 posts

Personally, i agree with 2 and 5. But i think that 3 and 4 should be turned around and shouldn't limit people you should follow because the most follows a user can receive from someone is one, and even if someone followed EVERY scratcher in the WORLD, that would just mean that everyone had one follower, not much. I think that instead of limitting the ammount of followers people can have or give, it should hide your ammount of followers from others and projects or comments saying your ammount of followers should be deleted. Because i don't care about othersseeing my amount of followers, i like the fealing when i get the message “SOMEBODY is now following you” or “SOMEBODY loved your project” because then i know that someone out there likes my projects, ideas, work, ect., and don't care all to much about how many i have. Also, removing the featured projects would deacrease the amount of fame given, even if someone's project is amazing and deserves it. And i also disagree with 4 because the very first day i joined scratch, imust have followed many more than three scratchers.

Hiccup_Gaming
mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think I posted this somewhere else…

Scratch Community, y u so bipolar? You're all like, “Fame doesn't matter” then I see projects about stuff like “Scratchin' Fame”. WT?!

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support 5. (I'd already supported 2 and 4, but 5 wasn't there when I posted.)

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.

Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Oh no @ProdigyZeta7 is gone.
djdolphin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

!
Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I support 2 and 5

there definately is something missing in the guidelines. If what I perceive is true, then the problem isn't just that people commit themselves to follow for follow as a game to acquire vast lists of people on their profile, but they are creating a virtual friend list. Think about it, all social media is made for is to keep in touch with friends; following on Scratch is akin to following on twitter or facebook, thus they gain the mentality that they can make easy friends on Scratch just by asking for followers.

other than that, the long term effects of follow for follow is kinda ruining the purpose/fun of the follow system. To quote lightnin on the announcements, “If you click the Follow button on a Scratcher’s profile, you then receive updates about their projects and other Scratch activities in your home page “What's Happening” section”. With follow for follow taking deep roots in our system, people are no longer using following to receive updates but, simply put, to bask in the satisfaction of having a great big number on the profile

with that in mind, I totally and willingly agree that follow for follow needs to stop and administrative action must be done to restore the value of following

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

djdolphin wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

.. But he might be coming back.
Blueinkproductions
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blaze349 wrote:

djdolphin wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

.. But he might be coming back.
If we get rid of AE's and f4f.

Generation 2: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
____                  _____  _______              
| \ | | | | | |\ | | /
|___/ | | | |__ | | \ | |/
| \ | | | | | | \ | |\
| | | | | | | | \ | | \
|___/ L____ \___/ |_____ ___|___ | \| | \
PRODUCTIONS

Here's a hint: support = support.

<shameless self promotion>follow me! follow me! follow me! love my stuff! love my stuff! love my stuff! follow me! love my stuff! remix my stuff! follow me! follow me! </shameless self promotion>
mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mathfreak231 wrote:

I think I posted this somewhere else…

Scratch Community, y u so bipolar? You're all like, “Fame doesn't matter” then I see projects about stuff like “Scratchin' Fame”. WT?!
i hope someone read this, it's a very important opinion observation

Last edited by mathfreak231 (June 21, 2014 00:22:56)