Discuss Scratch

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Tropical Waves - |Administration/Training|

HittmanA wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

-snip-
1.) I use Google Sites, Google Blogger, and Google Domains.
2.) The ST Topic located in the Announcements forum I believe
3.) You don't understand, some of us won't use the website, the orders need to be relayed onto scratch in order for us all to participate in completing them
1) Ok but that is restricting because it is preset.
2) I'll take a look.
3) Ok then:
@All
————————
I need to know NOW if you will be registering and using the order system on the site, or if you would prefer I will relay the orders back to you. Let me know now which you will do.

I will probably be using both the Scratch posts here and the website, but in the end, I will probably be using more of the website.

Also, 100th page!

Last edited by TheHockeyist (April 2, 2016 14:22:09)

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I vote no to the website. No offense, but I think its a terrible idea.

Here's a few of my reasons:
Scratch things should stay on Scratch.
Random people could post inappropriate orders.
This thread would probably die.
Many scratchers may not be okay using another website.

If you see this text, reply saying “I hate Skype emojis” and you will receive a prize from my magical prize box
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ZLGames wrote:

1. True, but we're trying to make things more efficient.
2. All orders would have to be verified by a human befoe they show up.
3. This thread would be used in addition to the website.
4. True, and we would need to address that. HittmanA is holding a poll to see who is in favor.

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

4. True, and we would need to address that. HittmanA is holding a poll to see who is in favor.

1. I personally don't think it would be more efficient.
2. That takes extra time that isn't needed. Also, that person would have too see all the bad things people posted.
3. That would be hard to manage, one would die off eventually.

If you see this text, reply saying “I hate Skype emojis” and you will receive a prize from my magical prize box
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

rainbow_waves wrote:

I will use the website, but I'd rather not. Like ZL said, Scratch things should stay on Scratch, so Id prefer not to.

I'm with this ^
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ZLGames wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

1. I personally don't think it would be more efficient.
2. That takes extra time that isn't needed. Also, that person would have too see all the bad things people posted.
3. That would be hard to manage, one would die off eventually.

1. What's more efficient? A robot or a human?
2. The ST would have to approve the website beforehand, and there are some mature people on Scratch willing to deal with all of this.
3. It may or may not be.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (April 2, 2016 14:44:27)

HittmanA
Scratcher
100+ posts

(1) It is more efficient for both the users and us, The users easily place an order by filling in the info required, and it is easier for us to manage because all the orders are in one place, not a thread that continually gets longer.
(2) Look guys, I am willing to deal with the bad stuff ok, I voluntarily accept my duty of dealing with whatever people post on orders.
(3) I will get my website approved by the ST beforehand
I believe that address all the problems, if you have any other concerns please let me know NOW.

I am a dev (and owner) at

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HittmanA wrote:

(1) It is more efficient for both the users and us, The users easily place an order by filling in the info required, and it is easier for us to manage because all the orders are in one place, not a thread that continually gets longer.
(2) Look guys, I am willing to deal with the bad stuff ok, I voluntarily accept my duty of dealing with whatever people post on orders.
I believe that address all the problems, if you have any other concerns please let me know NOW.

2 and 3 contradict each other. If it was approved by the ST then the “bad stuff” would not be a problem. The ST will not approve it if there is “bad stuff”.

P.S: That euphemism makes me cringe to my core.

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HittmanA wrote:

I have many problems that need to be addressed.

1. Scratch things should stay on Scratch. Whats the problem with the tread getting longer? Thats how the shops grows.
2. This still will take lots of extra time, making it less efficient.
3. It would be hard to manage both the thread and website, one would die off eventually.
4. Many scratchers may not be okay using another website.

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ZLGames wrote:

HittmanA wrote:

I have many problems that need to be addressed.

1. Scratch things should stay on Scratch. Whats the problem with the tread getting longer? Thats how the shops grows.
3. It would be hard to manage both the thread and website, one would die off eventually.

1. Addressed already. Sometimes it does become hard to find orders in the archives.
2. As I said, human or robot?
3. As I said, both would grow.
4. I ALREADY ADDRESSED ALL OF YOUR CONCERNS!!!!!!

HittmanA
Scratcher
100+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

HittmanA wrote:

2 and 3 contradict each other. If it was approved by the ST then the “bad stuff” would not be a problem. The ST will not approve it if there is “bad stuff”.

P.S: That euphemism makes me cringe to my core.
I would be the only one to see the “bad stuff” *crimson cringes* , and I am ok with that.

HittmanA
Scratcher
100+ posts

ZLGames wrote:

-snip-

1. Why should scratch stuff stay on scratch?! What TheHockeyist said.
2. What takes a lot of extra time?
3. No it wouldn't, I would be the only one managing the website while the rest of you managed the thread as usual.
4. As long as it is secure they should be comfortable.

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HittmanA wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

-snip-

1. Why should scratch stuff stay on scratch?! What TheHockeyist said.
2. What takes a lot of extra time?
3. No it wouldn't, I would be the only one managing the website while the rest of you managed the thread as usual.
4. As long as it is secure they should be comfortable.
1. Hockey said it would be more efficient, and I disagreed, becuase it wouldn't, and I have given my reasons why.
2. You viewing every order.
3. Still, we would probably end up using one more then the other, causing the other to die.
4. I'd have to disagree.

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have quite a few critiques of the concept of a website.

1. A lot of people use Scratch at school or with some sort of intranet that is allowed because it's an educational website and is beneficial to the learning of its users through those means. Therefore, in the hypothetical situation that somebody pleaded to their school or organisation to allow this site to be used, they would probably not be in favour of it as it serves no educational purposes whatsoever and if anything teaches its users to not develop: art, programming, music and reviewing (in the form of critiquing their own works and identifying its weaknesses and strengths) skills on their own. I shouldn't dwell on this too much so followed is my next point

2. Incorporating the same scenario as I mentioned in my first point, users from our own collaboration would be denied access to this site and we'd have fewer workers and fewer orders.

3. The whole website is redundant. The chances of somebody from outside of Scratch coming to a website where (no offence intended) does not generate a huge amount of traffic is quite low. This means we'd essentially have fewer orders due to fewer Scratchers being bothered or allowed to use the website.

4. An entire website dedicated to our shop comes across as pretentious.

5. We'd be blurring the line between Scratch and out-of-Scratch activities. The Scratch Team has - on many occasions - specified that they dislike activities related to Scratch that are not on the main website as it is out of their field of moderation.

6. Expanding on the previous point, I understand that you will moderate the site, Hitman, but you must understand that you're (I assume) a minor and some things are illegal for you to witness which is why moderation by a minor is very dangerous.

7. My most important point is related to point 3. We do not need at all. You say that it is going to improve efficiency but I beg to differ. I know I, and many other people, do not want to check up on the website every day to see if there are orders only to post them and deal with them on Scratch. But one thing I have noticed is with all your points about the doubtable “efficiency” of the website, you have failed to even begin to explain why the website is indeed more efficient. Coupled with all of my other points, the website seems like, to put it bluntly, a waste of time. Feel free to respond to my points; thanks for reading.

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

1. True…

2. We could still work on Scratch. Who says we HAVE to use the website?

3. Again, we can work on Scratch. We're not limited to the site.

4. Maybe…?

5. True, true. But if it's approved, then…

6. This is true. I'm sure that HittmanA will use appropriate judgement.

7. A waste of time? The website will make things more efficient by putting all orders in one place and not buried through the archives.

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

1. True…

4. Maybe…?

7. A waste of time? The website will make things more efficient by putting all orders in one place and not buried through the archives.
2. If you didn't use it, whats the point of having it?

3. ^^

6. Did you catch the word “illegal”?

7. I have to agree with Crimson, I am not going to check there every day to see if there are new orders, and I assume many members would think the same.

Last edited by ZLGames (April 2, 2016 20:54:45)

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

1. True…

4. Maybe…?

7. A waste of time? The website will make things more efficient by putting all orders in one place and not buried in the archives.

2 and 3. That is what I'm saying! If we don't have to use the website, why on Earth do we need it? It may be a novelty extra sure, but it's more of a burden on the shop because of the points I mentioned!.

5. The ST does not want Scratch-related and non-scratch related things to be mixed together. Which is why they frown upon social media being used to discuss Scratch projects, collabs etc and it being linked on Scratch.

6. I don't think you understand my point there; It's not about HitmanA's judgement. If an adult comes on the site and posts something (you know what I mean) and he sees it, that act is ILLEGAL. Unless the site is managed by a bot, which it is not going to be as a bot that won't let anything inappropriate slip through the cracks costs a crazy amount of money and takes an insane knowledge of programmings that even huge companies have not perfected.

7. Which is exactly what Flint-L and RCF are doing. You'd essentially be putting them out of their job. The website will not be something people will regularly use! And the fact that - unless Hitman introduces a hugely convoluted signing up system - people can be anonymous is also a problem. How many people, remembering Scratch's younger demographic, do you think will exploit the fact that the website will be anonymous and post random things that have no relation to Scratch, inappropriate things and orders that are not actually needed? That's quite right, a huge number! So many things need to be revised before we even consider introducing a website, which I once again stress is redundant.

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ZLGames wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

1. True…

4. Maybe…?

2. If you didn't use it, whats the point of having it?

3. ^^

5. Did you catch the word “illegal”?

6. I have to agree with Crimson, I am not going to check there every day to see if there are new orders, and I assume many members would think the same.

Darn, I just repeated your points with some added flare. I didn't see the post when I was busy excercising my vocabulary .

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

Darn, I just repeated your points with some added flare. I didn't see the post when I was busy excercising my vocabulary .
I have no time to fancy up my posts with supreme vocabulary.