Discuss Scratch

elliekinz14
Scratcher
16 posts

Updates! 17 September 2013: Messages system changes, following threads in the discussions forums...

I don't exactly understand what I'm replying to right now. Is it what Lightnin wrote? Someone, help me!
zach0558
Scratcher
5 posts

Updates! 17 September 2013: Messages system changes, following threads in the discussions forums...

Love the new notifications!
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Discussion Forums:
It's now possible to follow Discussion Forum threads by clicking:

You'll get a notification on your messages page when there are new posts on the thread. If you make a new topic, you will automatically follow it.

This is really great! But it would be really important to me if I could follow a single post of a thread. This is really important when I want to be notified of answers to posts I added to post-intensive threads. I would like to be notified only when someone actually quotes a post I wrote in these threads
DadOfMrLog
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_federici wrote:

This is really great! But it would be really important to me if I could follow a single post of a thread. This is really important when I want to be notified of answers to posts I added to post-intensive threads. I would like to be notified only when someone actually quotes a post I wrote in these threads

Yeah, was thinking the same kind of thing. But it's not straightforward ‘cos you can edit/add the BBCode to say anything, and there’s no way for it to know for sure which of your posts someone's post was referring to…

The only way that I thought could work would be some kind of customisable system to get a notification when someone puts “@yourname” or "[quote=yourname]" in a post.

But should that be for *any* post in *any* topic (regardless whether you've followed it?) - I can imagine certain people (like Lightnin!) would rather not.. (and the possibility for abuse is quite high).
Otherwise, it'll need another button which lets you get notifications like that from a specific topic… (Not sure of a concise name for that button?)
Or perhaps a profile setting somewhere that lets you choose whether you want *all* such posts anywhere to send notifications, or whether you want to have a not-sure-what-to-call-it-but-follow-like button which lets you get you-were-quoted/named notifications for specific topics…? And maybe a button so you can switch off selected topics if you've chosen the former!

Last edited by DadOfMrLog (Sept. 18, 2013 13:20:21)

Alternate account: TheLogFather –– HowTos and useful custom blocks (see studio). Examples below…

- String manipulation - - - X to power of Y - - - Clone point to clone - Detect New Scratcher - Speed tests studio -

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

DadOfMrLog wrote:

s_federici wrote:

Yeah, was thinking the same kind of thing. But it's not straightforward ‘cos you can edit/add the BBCode to say anything, and there’s no way for it to know for sure which of your posts someone's post was referring to…

The only way that I thought could work would be some kind of customisable system to get a notification when someone puts “@yourname” or "[quote=yourname]" in a post.

But should that be for *any* post in *any* topic (regardless whether you've followed it?) - I can imagine certain people (like Lightnin!) would rather not…
Otherwise, it'll need another button which lets you get notifications like that from a specific topic… (Not sure of a concise name for that button?)
Or perhaps a profile setting somewhere that lets you choose whether you want *all* such posts anywhere to send notifications, or whether you want to have a not-sure-what-to-call-it-but-follow-like button which lets you get you-were-quoted/named notifications for specific topics…? And maybe a button so you can switch off! selected topics if you've chosen the former!

One simple way to address this (with the existing functionality) might be to split larger topics up into more focused, smaller topics. Then, you might find that more of the posts on the topic are of interest to you?

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_federici wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Discussion Forums:
It's now possible to follow Discussion Forum threads by clicking:

You'll get a notification on your messages page when there are new posts on the thread. If you make a new topic, you will automatically follow it.

Hmm, that would be difficult, and also challenging to explain clearly to a new user in the user interface. Also, if a thread is very post intensive, and spanning a lot of diverse topics, it's probably getting too jumbled. It might be better to break the discussion into separate topics.

Edit: Hah! Posted before reading @paddle2see's post with a similar sentiment.

Last edited by Lightnin (Sept. 18, 2013 14:34:18)

OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cool! Just curious, what is the Scratch Team going to work on next?

DadOfMrLog
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Hmm, that would be difficult, and also challenging to explain clearly to a new user in the user interface. Also, if a thread is very post intensive, and spanning a lot of diverse topics, it's probably getting too jumbled. It might be better to break the discussion into separate topics.

Edit: Hah! Posted before reading @paddle2see's post with a similar sentiment.

Who would do the splitting? -You wouldn't want just anyone being able to split a topic…!
So would it be up to the topic creator? And also admins, of course? (But do you really want to have to go through topics looking for ones that need splitting? Or would there be some way to request it?)

I dunno… unless you've got a good system in mind for such a thing, I'd think just an extra button (“Notify when Quoted”?) near to the current “Follow Discussion”, with a mouse-over that has a bit more explanation, might fulfil more closely what s_federici is looking for…?

Implementation-wise, it basically does exactly the same as the current “Follow Discussion” button, except that before sending off a notification, it just has to check for "[quote=username]“ (and maybe ”@username"?) in the body of the post.

(Might have to think a bit about how the two buttons interact, of course…)

Last edited by DadOfMrLog (Sept. 18, 2013 15:18:08)

Alternate account: TheLogFather –– HowTos and useful custom blocks (see studio). Examples below…

- String manipulation - - - X to power of Y - - - Clone point to clone - Detect New Scratcher - Speed tests studio -

gromko
Scratcher
51 posts

Non-English characters are not supported in Pain Editor!
Please, fix it!
DadOfMrLog
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OrcaCat wrote:

This… (hopefully!)

Gaza101
Scratcher
500+ posts

Oh yay, oh yay, set forth thou updates, oh yay.

EDIT: You should disable the follow button on closed topics.

Last edited by Gaza101 (Sept. 18, 2013 15:48:22)

Gaza101: retired member of the Scratch 2.0 Transition Team

OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DadOfMrLog wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

This… (hopefully!)
Ah. Hopefully.

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OrcaCat wrote:

DadOfMrLog wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

This… (hopefully!)
Ah. Hopefully.
That's primarily what Grokblah has been working on - the replacement for pixelbender - this whole time. Although we had to drag him away for about a day to troubleshoot the new messaging system. He's back on that and we hope to have something to put on a test page soon. It's not clear how the change in implementation will change old projects, so we're going to need Scratchers like you to help us out by testing lots of projects. When you find the project behaves one way in the current player, and differently in the new (beta) player, you can let us know so we can look into it.'

Edit: Grokblah had to go to jury duty today. Let's hope he doesn't get selected for a long trial.

Last edited by Lightnin (Sept. 18, 2013 15:57:24)

superhen
Scratcher
55 posts

Spyderblade wrote:

Haha the new button covers up part of the topic name, and the little orange feedback thingy.

For some reason I don't really like the comment snippets… not sure why… probably because I look at all my messages anyway

macadam wrote:

BigBlueBlock wrote:

Edit:I'm getting messages every 30 seconds from one studio.
Same here.
Yeah, it's from the ADD NO PROJECTS studio, some unknown curator decided to spam up the activity…
SAME STUDIO!

Last edited by superhen (Sept. 18, 2013 16:35:47)

DadOfMrLog
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

DadOfMrLog wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

This… (hopefully!)
Ah. Hopefully.
That's primarily what Grokblah has been working on - the replacement for pixelbender…

While sorting out the pixelbender issue is certainly A Good Thing, and it's certainly impacted by what I was suggesting, that's not quite what I was mainly aiming at in that post…

Last edited by DadOfMrLog (Sept. 18, 2013 17:02:48)

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ah, quite so. I'm not sure if there are reasons for the current implementation, or if that's something we can optimize. Generally the former tends to be true. Now that JohnM has moved on to work on other projects, @grokblah is the only flash dev we have. I'll ping him about your post to see if he has any thoughts.
macadam
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Now that JohnM has moved on to work on other projects, @grokblah is the only flash dev we have.
What?! @johnm leaved the Scratch project?????

Macadam, Scratcher since october 2012. Started as a stupid immature kid - but trying to clean that painful rembering
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

macadam wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Now that JohnM has moved on to work on other projects, @grokblah is the only flash dev we have.

Yep. Last Friday was his last day - but he's still going to be in the area, and dropping by to give us advice and hang out.
Tazer19
Scratcher
36 posts

This is a great update!

I have a dream, that Scratch will be a very, very famous website like Google.
Quote by Tazer19, Scratch Wiki author, etc.
Officially signed by
Tazer19
Check out my profile!
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

macadam wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Yep. Last Friday was his last day - but he's still going to be in the area, and dropping by to give us advice and hang out.
Whaaaaaa?

Is he working with Jens now?

trans rights are human rights