Discuss Scratch

PonyoPenguin
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reddit

SeptimusHeap wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

Can you please just close this topic. There's no point and the site is not appropriate for scratch at all.

Please stop backseat modding. People are talking about appropriate subreddits.

Anyways, since I'm not 13 yet, I can't make a Reddit account, but I plan to when I'm 13. It seems like a pretty cool site.
I'm not backseat modding, if you've read some of my previous posts in other threads, you'll know that I hate backseat modding with a passion

I just think that reddit isn't a place that should be advertised to young children, and there's nothing much to discuss here. If we find something meaningful to discuss, then keep it open.

It's not being “advertised” to young children anymore then Homestuck or other such things with threads.

And there's plenty to discuss. Let's discuss all the adorableness in /r/kittens, or we could discuss some AMAs, or really anything.

Last edited by PonyoPenguin (Aug. 5, 2013 18:33:49)

do what makes you happy.
'cause at the end, who's there?
you.
scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Reddit

SeptimusHeap wrote:

I'm not backseat modding, if you've read some of my previous posts in other threads, you'll know that I hate backseat modding with a passion

I just think that reddit isn't a place that should be advertised to young children, and there's nothing much to discuss here. If we find something meaningful to discuss, then keep it open.
Minecraft isn't okay to discuss because you can kill things in it and die.

PonyoPenguin wrote:

Since I'm not 13 yet, I can't make a Reddit account, but I plan to when I'm 13. It seems like a pretty cool site.
everybody makes accounts on websites before they're 13, just don't give out your age and everything will be fine[/badadvice]

Last edited by scratchisthebest (Aug. 5, 2013 18:34:01)

I am a Lava Expert
honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Reddit

SeptimusHeap wrote:

Can you please just close this topic. There's no point and the site is not appropriate for scratch at all.
Lots of topics in here discuss things not appropriate for Scratch.

Though I can't see the reasoning in “appropriate” subreddits because all of them allow profanity at the least.

new research finds italics is cruise control for cool, debunks old caps lock theory
coolitsusa
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Reddit

honesty wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

Though I can't see the reasoning in “appropriate” subreddits because all of them allow profanity at the least.
I think that as long as the Homestuck topic is still open, any topic discussing something with profanity should stay open.
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reddit

PonyoPenguin wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

Anyways, since I'm not 13 yet, I can't make a Reddit account, but I plan to when I'm 13. It seems like a pretty cool site.

It's not being “advertised” to young children anymore then Homestuck or other such things with threads.

And there's plenty to discuss. Let's discuss all the adorableness in /r/kittens, or we could discuss some AMAs, or really anything.
Niel DeGrasse Tyson did an AMA yesterday. I'm too young to have seen the Sagan series but I'll probably check this one out.

And yeah the default subreddits are for the most part awful and best taken in small doses. They recently dropped /r/politics (basically entirely liberal with little actual debate or balanced reporting) and /r/atheism (basically just full of christianity-bashing quotes) from the list of default subs but it's obvious that all of the defaults get filled with junk. I still have most of the default subs, lots of game subs (/r/minecraft, /r/gmod, /r/ttt, /r/tf2, /r/globaloffensive), various programming subs (/r/gamedev, /r/webdev) and such.

Back from hiatus?
coolitsusa
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Reddit

I like /r/dadjokes
NeilWest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Reddit

Good morning.

stereotypes

Goodbye.

jukyter
Scratcher
100+ posts

Reddit

coolitsusa wrote:

honesty wrote:

I use it but I try to disassociate myself with the stereotype.
dont make fun of him… he wasnt a professional quote maker…
possibly
Scratcher
100+ posts

Reddit

this is quite an interesting thread
honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Reddit

16Skittles wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

PonyoPenguin wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

And yeah the default subreddits are for the most part awful and best taken in small doses. They recently dropped /r/politics (basically entirely liberal with little actual debate or balanced reporting)
That's to be expected considering the majority of people who use reddit, but there was also the issue with a few small users botspamming their cause and dominating the front page of it pre

coolitsusa wrote:

honesty wrote:

SeptimusHeap wrote:

I think that as long as the Homestuck topic is still open, any topic discussing something with profanity should stay open.
I wasn't saying close it, I was just saying, we can't really label specific subreddits as appropriate.

new research finds italics is cruise control for cool, debunks old caps lock theory
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reddit

New possible discussion point: The quickmeme voting fraud scandal?

Back from hiatus?
PonyoPenguin
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reddit

Ah, funny this thread would get made now, as the most recent Sandra and Woo comic had a joke based off of a Reddit post.

I can't post the comic here though because it's a little borderline “not suitable for Scratch”.

do what makes you happy.
'cause at the end, who's there?
you.
honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Reddit

PonyoPenguin wrote:

Ah, funny this thread would get made now, as the most recent Sandra and Woo comic had a joke based off of a Reddit post.

I can't post the comic here though because it's a little borderline “not suitable for Scratch”.
Did that person really just take their comic strips joke from an online comment?

Most of these webcomics that get big enough are how the person makes money so that's a little low.

Last edited by honesty (Aug. 6, 2013 15:59:56)

NeilWest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Reddit

16Skittles wrote:

That was bad. But because of that, imgur now has meme support!

LiFaytheGoblin
Forum Moderator
1000+ posts

Reddit

I've heard of Reddit somewhere in the news. But it is kind of confusing so I decided not to join…

Deutsch, English, Français, Español, Nederlands
DACH Scratch WikiEN Scratch WikiAll Scratch WikisA Scratch Wiki in your native language

16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reddit

NeilWest wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

It doesn't seem to get used very often. People seem to have drifted towards Livememe which is in my opinion inferior. What if the scandal was truly done by Livememe to frame quickmeme? *conspiracy keanu*

@LiFaytheGoblin: That was probably something to do with Reddit trying to track down the Boston Marathon Bombers. It didn't go to well, and innocents were accused.

Back from hiatus?
LiFaytheGoblin
Forum Moderator
1000+ posts

Reddit

16Skittles wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

It doesn't seem to get used very often. People seem to have drifted towards Livememe which is in my opinion inferior. What if the scandal was truly done by Livememe to frame quickmeme? *conspiracy keanu*

@LiFaytheGoblin: That was probably something to do with Reddit trying to track down the Boston Marathon Bombers. It didn't go to well, and innocents were accused.
Oh maybe that's it… Poor innocents…

Deutsch, English, Français, Español, Nederlands
DACH Scratch WikiEN Scratch WikiAll Scratch WikisA Scratch Wiki in your native language

honesty
Scratcher
100+ posts

Reddit

16Skittles wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

It doesn't seem to get used very often.
That's because it was an absolutely awful decision and the final blow to a site already degrading in quality, I think.

technoguyx
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reddit

/u/technoguyx. I pretty much never visit the default subs, save for worldnews, technology, science and the such. Mostly lurk on /r/WeAreTheMusicMakers, /r/talesfromtechsupport and /r/mylittlepony.

Scratcher since 2008.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Reddit

While I enjoy looking through Reddit at times (I thought the Alaskan Flat Tire photo was hilarious!), I kinda doubt that any of it is really appropriate for all ages. The account names themselves are quite often very rude - and the comments don't seem to have any kind of filtering.

So I'll close it.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;