Discuss Scratch

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Updates to Following and Followers

I'll have to admit, I don't really agree with the removal of the Comments number on profiles. Not only because you can't see it anywhere else, but also due to the fact I could use it to see if there are new comments/replies on my alternate accounts.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

NoxSpooth wrote:

I'll have to admit, I don't really agree with the removal of the Comments number on profiles. Not only because you can't see it anywhere else, but also due to the fact I could use it to see if there are new comments/replies on my alternate accounts.
That's a good point!

But it would only tell you if there was activity on the profile, right? Not on any projects, studios, forum topics, etc. And you would have to remember what the comment count was from the last time you checked, in order to notice anything new. So I'm afraid I don't find this a compelling case for restoring the comment count.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Shiverberry
Scratcher
100+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

That's a good point!

But it would only tell you if there was activity on the profile, right? Not on any projects, studios, forum topics, etc. And you would have to remember what the comment count was from the last time you checked, in order to notice anything new. So I'm afraid I don't find this a compelling case for restoring the comment count.
Paddle2See is right.
But I agree with tons of Scratchers when I say there was absolutely no good reason to remove the comment count.
Even though I do not like it, I see why you took out the follower count.
But why the comment count?
Some people (COUGHCOUGHMECOUGHHACK) like to keep track of their milestones. And it doesn't quite help to have to count EVERY. SINGLE. COMMENT.

~Shiverberry~ <3

Save time ~ don't think twice.

Bring Back Awesome Face (BBAF): http://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/67490/?page=1#post-572862
Unlocked
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratchifier wrote:

4. In a matter of minutes, I've several Scratchers have all gotten annoyed at this change. They are also some reputable Scratchers, such as: VoltageGames, WILL_WAM, ELSA_THE_CONQUEROR, -Flash-, TheAnimationShow… need I continue?
Who cares if they are reputable.

Imagine if the US was like that. Only the people who are CEOs of big companies or are own a sports team get to vote. That would not reflect the actual popular vote in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited by Unlocked (Oct. 12, 2014 15:45:04)

Shiverberry
Scratcher
100+ posts

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

4. In a matter of minutes, I've several Scratchers have all gotten annoyed at this change. They are also some reputable Scratchers, such as: VoltageGames, WILL_WAM, ELSA_THE_CONQUEROR, -Flash-, TheAnimationShow… need I continue?

Imagine if the US was like that. Only the people who are CEOs of big companies or are own a sports team get to vote. That would not reflect the actual popular vote in any way, shape, or form.
I think Scratchifier was trying to convey the message that more popular Scratchers of our community are annoyed, not just *everyone else*…

~Shiverberry~ <3

Bring Back Awesome Face (BBAF): http://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/67490/?page=1#post-572862
drabishop
Scratcher
13 posts

This makes sense now that you explain it, but I'm still kind of upset.

Not too active.

My profile!
Unlocked
Scratcher
100+ posts

Shiverberry wrote:

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

I think Scratchifier was trying to convey the message that more popular Scratchers of our community are annoyed, not just *everyone else*…
But it doesn't matter if a scratcher is popular or not. That's what this whole update was about
mcleod241
Scratcher
5 posts

Dunno

Shiverberry
Scratcher
100+ posts

Unlocked wrote:

Shiverberry wrote:

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

But it doesn't matter if a scratcher is popular or not. That's what this whole update was about
I know…

~Shiverberry~ <3

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Unlocked wrote:

Shiverberry wrote:

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

Exactly.

That's what makes the quote so ironic, I guess

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

Well, who would you trust more with the updates to the site: an older Scratcher or somebody who has been on the site for a long time and has gotten integrated into the community:

OR

Somebody who joined a few months ago who doesn't really understand the full structure of the Scratch website.

Although I should probably edit the wording, because some of the Scratchers I listed might not meet those qualifications, like being on Scratch for a long time.

Personally, I really don't like the direction that U.S.A is headed in. So I think that it would be better if the voting age was 30 years old or higher. How about that?

Last edited by Scratchifier (Oct. 12, 2014 18:32:18)

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratchifier wrote:

Well, who would you trust more with the updates to the site: an older Scratcher or somebody who has been on the site for a long time and has gotten integrated into the community:

OR

Somebody who joined a few months ago who doesn't really understand the full structure of the Scratch website.

I've been on Scratch for a long time and I still support this change. But that simply doesn't make my opinion superior.
Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratchifier wrote:

OR

*cough* black-or-white *cough*

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

OR

I don't click on links leading away from scratch, sorry.
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

OR

As soon as you post that link, you are “appealing to authority”. But that site is nonsense anyway, because sometimes the clouds are gray, and sometimes they're a puffy white. Just because the site exists doesn't mean that it's true. In fact, you can easily destroy any argument by linking to that site (if it were actually accurate).

Side note: the example for Appealing to Authority is gibberish anyway, obviously written by a biased person who can't win any arguments so they just say that other arguments are “not good enough”. The example should be: “Not able to defend his position that evolution ISN'T TRUE, Bob says that he knows a scientist who can obviously prove evolution false, but it doesn't matter anyway because nobody listens to Creationist scientists anyway, even though they're right.”

Hopefully this post doesn't start a religious debate. If it does, bring it to my profile. xD

Shiverberry
Scratcher
100+ posts

NoxSpooth wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

OR

I've been on Scratch for a long time and I still support this change. But that simply doesn't make my opinion superior.
I think everyone's opinions are equal, although, yes, I find it easier to trust older/experienced Scratchers.

~Shiverberry~ <3

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

Side note: the example for Appealing to Authority is gibberish anyway, obviously written by a biased person who can't win any arguments so they just say that other arguments are “not good enough”. The example should be: "Not able to defend his position that evolution ISN'T TRUE, Bob says that he knows a scientist who can obviously prove evolution false, but it doesn't matter anyway because nobody listens to Creationist scientists anyway, even though they're right."
That's quite a bias you got there too.

Last edited by NoxSpooth (Oct. 12, 2014 19:15:52)

Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

OR

As soon as you post that link, you are “appealing to authority”. But that site is nonsense anyway, because sometimes the clouds are gray, and sometimes they're a puffy white. Just because the site exists doesn't mean that it's true. In fact, you can easily destroy any argument by linking to that site (if it were actually accurate).

Hopefully this post doesn't start a religious debate. If it does, bring it to my profile. xD
gee whiz dude, can you stop pretending and start actually debating for once? no one will take you seriously if you add smilies to your post and call off your opponent's arguments as inferior to yours. for once, just debate from an objective standpoint.

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NoxSpooth wrote:

Superdoggy wrote:

Side note: the example for Appealing to Authority is gibberish anyway, obviously written by a biased person who can't win any arguments so they just say that other arguments are “not good enough”. The example should be: "Not able to defend his position that evolution ISN'T TRUE, Bob says that he knows a scientist who can obviously prove evolution false, but it doesn't matter anyway because nobody listens to Creationist scientists anyway, even though they're right."
That's quite a bias you got there too.
That's the point. It's sarcasm. xD

Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

gee whiz dude, can you stop pretending and start actually debating for once? no one will take you seriously if you add smilies to your post and call off your opponent's arguments as inferior to yours. for once, just debate from an objective standpoint.
I'd actually post more seriously if you didn't start pointing out so-called “logical fallacies” in other peoples' posts, or if others would stop rambling on about how all of the arguments are “nonsense” or “straw men”. This includes the Scratch Team.
Seriously, just post your opinion on the issue and not on how my or others' arguments have a bunch of flaws. If all you want to do is shoot down others' arguments, then I'm not even going to post anything other than sarcastic put-downs of your posts. xP

It's fine to debate, but don't just say “your argument has a logical fallacy”, dismiss the argument, and treat that as 100% truth. Because in the end, the post with the logical fallacy is the one linking to some random site that really has no merit.

So really, please just debate from an objective standpoint.

Oh wait, oops, there might have been some sarcasm there. xD no offense, just making a (slightly pointed) joke to get my point across.

Last edited by Superdoggy (Oct. 12, 2014 19:40:25)