Discuss Scratch

theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Updates to Following and Followers

I hate the new addition. I mean, the thought is good, but it's stupid.

I loved looking at numbers. I don't judge people on how many followers they have, or how many people they are following, I just find it interesting.

Also, it ruins the aesthetic appeal of your profile page, and the others. It's like a gash, a void, where there ought to be something but isn't.

It's horrible.

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

When you go to bed every night, what makes you happier? The fact that you just made a new friend, or that you just gained another follower?
Just because friends are better than followers doesn't mean that followers are “no good” or “meh”.
But you're not answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

What makes you happier? The fact that someone favourited your project and commented ‘you are very talented!’ , or that a ‘follow everybody’ user followed you?
Just because followers are better than follow-everybodys doesn't mean that follow-everybodys' follows don't count.
Still not answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

What makes you sadder? That someone said that your projects stink and your useless, or that someone unfollowed you?
When somebody unfollows me. In fact, I find it slightly amusing when a low-rep user trolls me. It's fun to *cough* troll back. xD

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Aquaflame
Scratcher
100+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

I loved looking at numbers. I don't judge people on how many followers they have, or how many people they are following, I just find it interesting.

Also, it ruins the aesthetic appeal of your profile page, and the others. It's like a gash, a void, where there ought to be something but isn't.

It's horrible.
To me, removing the follower count actually IMPROVES the aesthetics. Without seeing the numbers clutter my profile, it's easier to look around.
900miles
Scratcher
39 posts

theonlygusti wrote:

Just click “view all”… The count is still there.
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Superdoggy wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

When you go to bed every night, what makes you happier? The fact that you just made a new friend, or that you just gained another follower?
Just because friends are better than followers doesn't mean that followers are “no good” or “meh”.
But you're not answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

What makes you happier? The fact that someone favourited your project and commented ‘you are very talented!’ , or that a ‘follow everybody’ user followed you?
Just because followers are better than follow-everybodys doesn't mean that follow-everybodys' follows don't count.
Still not answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

What makes you sadder? That someone said that your projects stink and your useless, or that someone unfollowed you?
When somebody unfollows me. In fact, I find it slightly amusing when a low-rep user trolls me. It's fun to *cough* troll back. xD
1. Friend
2. Favorite and Comment.

However, the point is moot because the topic isn't about comparing follows to friends. That's like saying, which is tastier, an apple or chocolate cake. Just because the cake is tastier (to most people) doesn't mean that the apple is disgusting. xP

Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Aquaflame wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

It's horrible.
To me, removing the follower count actually IMPROVES the aesthetics. Without seeing the numbers clutter my profile, it's easier to look around.

AAAAAGH! There's a number obstructing my vision! xD

Just kidding, but how can a number make things worse? Unless there's like 3 billion numbers cluttering the screen (which there aren't ) I don't see how missing numbers makes things better. If anything, that's an inconsistency with the projects, projects faved, studios following, and studios curating numbers, which is aesthetically not pleasing.

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

Aquaflame wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

It's horrible.

AAAAAGH! There's a number obstructing my vision! xD

Just kidding, but how can a number make things worse? Unless there's like 3 billion numbers cluttering the screen (which there aren't ) I don't see how missing numbers makes things better. If anything, that's an inconsistency with the projects, projects faved, studios following, and studios curating numbers, which is aesthetically not pleasing.
Aesthestics are quite subjective.

'17 rickoid

Flaame
Scratcher
100+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Superdoggy wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

You are answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

Still answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

Ok, does this matter Firedrake969? Really, are you having fun when you are supposed to be serious? Not cool. Not

Last edited by Flaame (Oct. 7, 2014 23:00:14)

Do you like minecraft? Check out my minecraft remake, ScratchCraft here!
Click here for a really cool game I made on ROBLOX!
ZaharaMar
Scratcher
500+ posts

RED-drag0n wrote:

I agree with this! Well said RED-drag0n!

Last edited by ZaharaMar (Oct. 7, 2014 23:06:30)

ωσи∂єяℓαи∂…
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RED-drag0n wrote:

Even though I'm strongly against this update, I can see the whole point. Scratch wasn't made for people to fight over ‘followers’ or ‘views’ , it was made for people to learn to code and, most if all, have fun.
Having that said the update just made my life 2 clicks longer, and I think the profile comments thing was pointless. Profile comment for profile comment anyone?

I thought you disagreed with the change?

Besides, those arguments don't actually help… because you are comparing with things unrelated to the conversation. The missing numbers on every profile have nothing to do with trolls who say mean things on your profile, or people who are friends with you.
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti is right.

If the Scratch Team was trying to improve the aesthetics of the site, or even keep them at the same level, they utterly failed.

You can't have inconsistency in graphic design. It just doesn't work, and it confuses the user. It ultimately gives a sense of displeasure when you expect something that should be there but it isn't.

Putting this into an example: Imagine the sky when it is night. There are millions of beautiful stars, but in one section, it's just plain… a black splotch where nothing is.

That doesn't look very good.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratchifier wrote:

theonlygusti is right.

If the Scratch Team was trying to improve the aesthetics of the site, or even keep them at the same level, they utterly failed.

You can't have inconsistency in graphic design. It just doesn't work, and it confuses the user. It ultimately gives a sense of displeasure when you expect something that should be there but it isn't.

Putting this into an example: Imagine the sky when it is night. There are millions of beautiful stars, but in one section, it's just plain… a black splotch where nothing is.

That doesn't look very good.
Yeah, people don't like change.

Remember the shift from the 1.x website to this one? It's just change, not inconsistency, and people generally never like change, whether it's good or bad.

Flaame wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Superdoggy wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

You are answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

Still answering the question

RED-drag0n wrote:

Ok, does this matter Firedrake969? Really, are you having fun when you are supposed to be serious? Not cool. Not
…well, that's just pointless - misquoting me?

'17 rickoid

Unlocked
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratchifier wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

Even though I'm strongly against this update, I can see the whole point. Scratch wasn't made for people to fight over ‘followers’ or ‘views’ , it was made for people to learn to code and, most if all, have fun.
Having that said the update just made my life 2 clicks longer, and I think the profile comments thing was pointless. Profile comment for profile comment anyone?

Besides, those arguments don't actually help… because you are comparing with things unrelated to the conversation. The missing numbers on every profile have nothing to do with trolls who say mean things on your profile, or people who are friends with you.
What do you mean “you are comparing with things unrelated to the conversation”? Where have you been?
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

What do you mean “you are comparing with things unrelated to the conversation”? Where have you been?

What I mean by it is that comparing unfollowers to trolls who hate you doesn't actually work to prove a point. For example, I could say something like “Which is worse, a forum spammer who spams everywhere or a Scratcher who counts his/her followers? I know which makes me more annoyed!” but that wouldn't actually prove my point that the numbers should be reinstated. See where I'm getting at now?
ZaharaMar
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratchifier wrote:

Unlocked wrote:

Scratchifier wrote:

RED-drag0n wrote:

What I mean by it is that comparing unfollowers to trolls who hate you doesn't actually work to prove a point. For example, I could say something like “Which is worse, a forum spammer who spams everywhere or a Scratcher who counts his/her followers? I know which makes me more annoyed!” but that wouldn't actually prove my point that the numbers should be reinstated. See where I'm getting at now?
I understand both sides.

ωσи∂єяℓαи∂…
mariomarioluigi554
Scratcher
17 posts

Can we have the numbers back for the followers please???

when green flag clicked
if <[notifications] = [ 0]> then

say [AUGHHHHHHHHHHH]
end
FoxMoon
Scratcher
13 posts

you know what would have been good when they updated this that they should have also put a share button on unshared projects when you go on my stuff instead of having to go inside the project and do it!
cade5494
Scratcher
55 posts

totally agree with this though it would get some time to get used to

Last edited by cade5494 (Oct. 8, 2014 11:57:39)

Lets have a staring contest. Ready? Go.
Superdoggy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HAHAHAHA! Modified Griffpatch's HTML spider! I have 2691 comments! xD

<html>
<head>
<script type=“text/javascript” src='http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js'></script>
<script>

var username = “superdoggy”;
var page=1;

function load( e ) {
$.get( "http://scratch.mit.edu/site-api/comments/user/“ + username + ”/?page=1“, loaded );
}

function loaded( data ) {
var $dom = $( data );
var $out = $('#result');
$out.prepend($dom);

page++;
$.get( ”http://scratch.mit.edu/site-api/comments/user/“ + username + ”/?page=“+page, loaded );
};

</script>
</head>
<body onload=”load(event);">
<div id='result'></div>
</body>
</html>

Warning: very laggy!

Last edited by Superdoggy (Oct. 8, 2014 21:46:04)

derpmeup
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

HAHAHAHA! Modified Griffpatch's HTML spider! I have 2691 comments! xD

<html>
<head>
<script type=“text/javascript” src='http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.min.js'></script>
<script>

var username = “superdoggy”;
var page=1;

function load( e ) {
$.get( "http://scratch.mit.edu/site-api/comments/user/“ + username + ”/?page=1“, loaded );
}

function loaded( data ) {
var $dom = $( data );
var $out = $('#result');
$out.prepend($dom);

page++;
$.get( ”http://scratch.mit.edu/site-api/comments/user/“ + username + ”/?page=“+page, loaded );
};

</script>
</head>
<body onload=”load(event);">
<div id='result'></div>
</body>
</html>

Warning: very laggy!
-adds this post to list of bookmarks-

hey bro that's a pretty good meme xD!