Discuss Scratch

NeilWest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Doctor Who Official Topic [SPOILERS]

Waffle27 wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

Is it weird that I don't like Doctor Who anymore?
It depends on when you did like Doctor Who
I was a big fan during the Eccleston - Tennant era but my interest started to decay when it came to Matt Smith and I didn't even watch this year's Christmas special.

Squawkers13
Scratcher
100+ posts

NeilWest wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

Is it weird that I don't like Doctor Who anymore?
It depends on when you did like Doctor Who
I was a big fan during the Eccleston - Tennant era but my interest started to decay when it came to Matt Smith and I didn't even watch this year's Christmas special.
Then you didn't see the NEW DOCTOR!!! (Peter Capaldi)
SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

Eleven not being able to regenerate: Eleven mentioned a few times during his run about regenerating - he considered it during Let's Kill Hitler and threatened the Cybercontroller with it in Nightmare in Silver (ok that might have been bluff). Not to mention the regeneration glow during The Impossible Astronaut (unless you consider that the death we saw was always the Teselecta's and never an actual death in an alternate timeline). He was also able to expand regeneration energy to heal River. So… when did he realise he could actually not regenerate anymore?
Time Lords don't actually ‘die’ like humans. They actually do initiate a final regeneration, but the process kills them.
This would also explain how they turn into the swirly “scar tissue” that we saw in The Name of the Doctor.
In “Let's Kill Hitler”, he was grasping at straws and probably a little bit delirious. “The Impossible Astronaut” was always the Teselecta for a number of reasons, and it was just projecting a hologram to look convincing. “The Angels Take Manhattan” is a good question, but it is possible that Time Lords still have some residual regeneration energy left in their bodies even after their final regeneration. Azmael was able to force himself into regenerating for a thirteenth time in “The Twin Dilemma” and, although the process could not be completed, it seems unlikely that it would be able to begin in the first place without as little spark.
It could also very well be that the voice interface telling him “regeneration disabled” was how he found out that Ten's aborted regeneration counted.
Could actually be a case of Fridge Horror (and Tearjerker): he just gave up in the end. He could have used River's gift, tried to have one more go, but by the end of the war he just didn't care anymore. He regenerates as normal, but then the war would have still kept going. If he just died it would all stop. The Doctor's been burned many times by You Can't Fight Fate. Except this time it nearly became fatal for him.
So the 11th Doctor is actually the 13th. Fine, that makes sense with what we already knew. Except… in The Impossible Astronaut, the Doctor started to regenerate after being shot (it was stopped, but still). Unless Time Lords release regenerative energy when they die the last time, how exactly can these two facts be reconciled? The most obvious explanation is just that Moffat wrote whatever was more dramatic at the time, but that's decidedly unsatisfying.
Maybe there's still regeneration energy left over (since the Metacrisis wasn't a 100% complete regeneration like the others) and it's an automated response. Not enough to enact a full regeneration but Kovarian et al didn't want to take the chance just in case?
And the Doctor would have then expanded this leftover energy to heal River in The Angels Take Manhattan. Or we never saw the Doctor getting killed in Lake Silencio and it always was the Tesselecta as mentioned below (it's left unclear whether the events in The Impossible Astronaut are an alternate timeline where the Doctor does get killed or if it already is the events from The Wedding of River Song).
^ It was always the Teselecta. It was a fixed point in time, so it had to happen the way that it always happens, and we have the post-Byzantium River Song who appears in “The Wedding of River Song” as a testament to that, because she knew that the Doctor faked his death there, and she would have been the River that we met in “the Impossible Astronaut”. So yes, it was just a light show put on by the Teselecta every time.
In “The Impossible Astronaut” it wasn't the Doctor. It was the Tesselector putting on a light show. The Doctor's actual ability to regenerate was irrelevant to that, all that mattered was the Tesselector faking his death in a convincing way (shot in the middle of regeneration).
If we assume that the Kovarian Chapter doesn't know of the War Doctor and/or the meta-crisis (and while they could know about the latter, they definitely don't know about the former, since the Time War is time locked and information on it is scarce), it all makes sense. The Doctor knew he didn't have a regeneration left, but his enemies didn't, so he put on a show for them.
Minor point, but he's actually the 12th. It's just that he's the result of 12 regenerations. 10's regeneration with the same face doesn't count as a different doctor I don't think.
So even though Eleven clearly met a future incarnation of himself at the end of The Day of the Doctor (played by Tom Baker), he still believed that he was on his last life and that there was no chance of another regeneration cycle?
The Doctor's memories get wiggly when there's more than one of him present (after they go their separate ways, that is). He literally might not have remembered that Twelve was there, or thought he was Ten's lost regeneration or something else like that.
There's also the possiblity that the future version he met was just a hallucination he was projecting to give himself hope (Clara mentioning him could be part of it or tied into her merger with his timestream).
Squawkers13
Scratcher
100+ posts

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Eleven not being able to regenerate: Eleven mentioned a few times during his run about regenerating - he considered it during Let's Kill Hitler and threatened the Cybercontroller with it in Nightmare in Silver (ok that might have been bluff). Not to mention the regeneration glow during The Impossible Astronaut (unless you consider that the death we saw was always the Teselecta's and never an actual death in an alternate timeline). He was also able to expand regeneration energy to heal River. So… when did he realise he could actually not regenerate anymore?
Time Lords don't actually ‘die’ like humans. They actually do initiate a final regeneration, but the process kills them.
This would also explain how they turn into the swirly “scar tissue” that we saw in The Name of the Doctor.
In “Let's Kill Hitler”, he was grasping at straws and probably a little bit delirious. “The Impossible Astronaut” was always the Teselecta for a number of reasons, and it was just projecting a hologram to look convincing. “The Angels Take Manhattan” is a good question, but it is possible that Time Lords still have some residual regeneration energy left in their bodies even after their final regeneration. Azmael was able to force himself into regenerating for a thirteenth time in “The Twin Dilemma” and, although the process could not be completed, it seems unlikely that it would be able to begin in the first place without as little spark.
It could also very well be that the voice interface telling him “regeneration disabled” was how he found out that Ten's aborted regeneration counted.
Could actually be a case of Fridge Horror (and Tearjerker): he just gave up in the end. He could have used River's gift, tried to have one more go, but by the end of the war he just didn't care anymore. He regenerates as normal, but then the war would have still kept going. If he just died it would all stop. The Doctor's been burned many times by You Can't Fight Fate. Except this time it nearly became fatal for him.
So the 11th Doctor is actually the 13th. Fine, that makes sense with what we already knew. Except… in The Impossible Astronaut, the Doctor started to regenerate after being shot (it was stopped, but still). Unless Time Lords release regenerative energy when they die the last time, how exactly can these two facts be reconciled? The most obvious explanation is just that Moffat wrote whatever was more dramatic at the time, but that's decidedly unsatisfying.
Maybe there's still regeneration energy left over (since the Metacrisis wasn't a 100% complete regeneration like the others) and it's an automated response. Not enough to enact a full regeneration but Kovarian et al didn't want to take the chance just in case?
And the Doctor would have then expanded this leftover energy to heal River in The Angels Take Manhattan. Or we never saw the Doctor getting killed in Lake Silencio and it always was the Tesselecta as mentioned below (it's left unclear whether the events in The Impossible Astronaut are an alternate timeline where the Doctor does get killed or if it already is the events from The Wedding of River Song).
^ It was always the Teselecta. It was a fixed point in time, so it had to happen the way that it always happens, and we have the post-Byzantium River Song who appears in “The Wedding of River Song” as a testament to that, because she knew that the Doctor faked his death there, and she would have been the River that we met in “the Impossible Astronaut”. So yes, it was just a light show put on by the Teselecta every time.
In “The Impossible Astronaut” it wasn't the Doctor. It was the Tesselector putting on a light show. The Doctor's actual ability to regenerate was irrelevant to that, all that mattered was the Tesselector faking his death in a convincing way (shot in the middle of regeneration).
If we assume that the Kovarian Chapter doesn't know of the War Doctor and/or the meta-crisis (and while they could know about the latter, they definitely don't know about the former, since the Time War is time locked and information on it is scarce), it all makes sense. The Doctor knew he didn't have a regeneration left, but his enemies didn't, so he put on a show for them.
Minor point, but he's actually the 12th. It's just that he's the result of 12 regenerations. 10's regeneration with the same face doesn't count as a different doctor I don't think.
So even though Eleven clearly met a future incarnation of himself at the end of The Day of the Doctor (played by Tom Baker), he still believed that he was on his last life and that there was no chance of another regeneration cycle?
The Doctor's memories get wiggly when there's more than one of him present (after they go their separate ways, that is). He literally might not have remembered that Twelve was there, or thought he was Ten's lost regeneration or something else like that.
There's also the possiblity that the future version he met was just a hallucination he was projecting to give himself hope (Clara mentioning him could be part of it or tied into her merger with his timestream).
GAAH! TOO MUCH TEXT!!!
SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

(quote=Squawkers13]

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

GAAH! TOO MUCH TEXT!!!
The Ninth Doctor's accent in Doctor Who (since it is Christopher Eccleston's natural one). This despite him being an alien, which is explained thusly: “lots of planets have a North!”
Parodied ruthlessly in Dead Ringers.
Christopher Eccleston: Because I am from the north! Not that I like to go on about it. But I'm part of the north, my heart is in the north, and when I bleed, I bleed northern blood! I am the north made flesh! But you know, like I said, I don' like to go on 'bout it.
CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON IS THE NORTH!! PRAISE HIM!!!!!BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!
elliebelly121100
Scratcher
61 posts

luigiracer2000 wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

elliebelly121100 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Christopher Eccleston hinted at his return as The 9th Doctor for the 100th Anniversary, check it out
He added: “If Joe agrees to direct the 100th anniversary special, I will bring my sonic and a stair-lift and – providing the Daleks don’t bring theirs – I, the ninth Doctor, wow to save the universe and all you apes in it.”

Won't he be, like, 86, or something?
He's Christopher Eccleston! Don't judge him!
I think he'll be like… 99.
*is not judging*
If Eccleston passes away due to old age before the 100th anniversary, I think most of the doctors we have so far will have also passed away.
… True… But all the Doctors will live forever!… In our hearts…
But David Tennant will always be my favorite.
and he'll be like 96 by the time of the 100th anniversary. BUT then again, Tom Baker appeared in the 50th so that's cool.

I am a Superwholocked Potterhead Oncer Divergent Tribute Nerdfighter who likes The Fault in Our Stars, and Elementary. For those of you who don't speak Fandom, that means I like Supernatural, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Harry Potter, Once Upon a Time, Divergent, The Hunger Games, Vlogbrothers, The Fault in Our Stars, and Elementary.

SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

luigiracer2000 wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

elliebelly121100 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Christopher Eccleston hinted at his return as The 9th Doctor for the 100th Anniversary, check it out
He added: “If Joe agrees to direct the 100th anniversary special, I will bring my sonic and a stair-lift and – providing the Daleks don’t bring theirs – I, the ninth Doctor, wow to save the universe and all you apes in it.”

Won't he be, like, 86, or something?
He's Christopher Eccleston! Don't judge him!
I think he'll be like… 99.
*is not judging*
If Eccleston passes away due to old age before the 100th anniversary, I think most of the doctors we have so far will have also passed away.
… True… But all the Doctors will live forever!… In our hearts…
But David Tennant will always be my favorite.
and he'll be like 96 by the time of the 100th anniversary. BUT then again, Tom Baker appeared in the 50th so that's cool.
HE!IS!CHRISTOPHER!ECCLESTON! THE LIVING EMBODIMENT OF THE NORTH!>
technoboy10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@SoraDezmondEzio re: wibbly-wobbly memories That reminds me of when Eleven said in the 50th anniversary special "I remember this! Almost remember).

trans rights are human rights
SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

technoboy10 wrote:

@SoraDezmondEzio re: wibbly-wobbly memories That reminds me of when Eleven said in the 50th anniversary special "I remember this! Almost remember).
He almost remembered the time fissure
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I liked the 10th and 11th doctor. The 12th doctor looks ugly.

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
vulcandoctor
Scratcher
3 posts

I love doctor who! My favorite doctor is the 10th (David Tennet) I also like the 11th doctor's fez and bow tie. The most creepy doctor who i have ever watched was probably the weeping angels but i love everything even the weeping angels!!! I have other accounts that have doctor who studios and i think this one does too. My favorite companion is Amy but if you count mickey then him… I think the part when mickey was hugging rose's legs because he did not want her to go was funny!!!! So mickey is my favorite companion if you count him because he is funny.

vulcandoctor
Scratcher
3 posts

when green flag clicked
forever

ask [do you like doctor who please no caps] and wait
end
if <> then

end
SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

The Twelfth Doctor will revisit Pompeii so he might bump into 10 and Donna.
elliebelly121100
Scratcher
61 posts

when green flag clicked
[scratchblocks]
forever

ask [do you like doctor who please no caps] and wait
say [Yes it's the best show ever!] for (2) secs
end
[/scratchblocks][scratchblocks]

if <> then

end
[/scratchblocks]

I am a Superwholocked Potterhead Oncer Divergent Tribute Nerdfighter who likes The Fault in Our Stars, and Elementary. For those of you who don't speak Fandom, that means I like Supernatural, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Harry Potter, Once Upon a Time, Divergent, The Hunger Games, Vlogbrothers, The Fault in Our Stars, and Elementary.

elliebelly121100
Scratcher
61 posts

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

I told you that… In a studio… (A Doctor Who studio!)

Squawkers13
Scratcher
100+ posts

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

1) It may not be the Twelfth Doctor who visits Pompeii. (Like Clara/Oswin)
2) Bumping into Ten and Donna? Not likely. They don't do that often.
SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

Squawkers13 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Peter Capaldi just happens to revisit Pompeii at the EXACT SAME TIME The Tenth Doctor and Donna visited and 10 called himself Spartacus to PETER CAPALDI!(he might have had to pose as a roman or something hdgg-HE DRESSED UP AS THE GUY WHO SAID MODERN ART!)So,bring on the per 51st anniversary! BOOYAH!
elliebelly121100
Scratcher
61 posts

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Squawkers13 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Peter Capaldi just happens to revisit Pompeii at the EXACT SAME TIME The Tenth Doctor and Donna visited and 10 called himself Spartacus to PETER CAPALDI!(he might have had to pose as a roman or something hdgg-HE DRESSED UP AS THE GUY WHO SAID MODERN ART!)So,bring on the per 51st anniversary! BOOYAH!
Truuuuuue plus BBC said that he WILL revisit Pompeii!!!!!!!!!

SoraDesmondEzio
Scratcher
72 posts

elliebelly121100 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Squawkers13 wrote:

SoraDesmondEzio wrote:

Truuuuuue plus BBC said that he WILL revisit Pompeii!!!!!!!!!
AT THE EXACT TIME OF DAVID TENNANTS VISIT! PHYSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS PHYSICS ISICS!
Psychman
Scratcher
49 posts

I think you guys need to calm down a bit.