Discuss Scratch

SuperNicky
Scratcher
100+ posts

We're Gonna Need a Better Bad-Word Detector...

Right I was wondering something said a bad word in a project should I report it? only 1

SuperNicky
Scratcher
100+ posts

BTW yes I agree with that The only things we can do is report it so to be honest I think the bad-word detector is a bit well “lazy” because it can't do that oh and also doing this stuff like bad words backwards and stuff is called “bypassing”

SuperNicky
Scratcher
100+ posts

Oh yeah another BTW is that The bad word detector is a bit lazy so it has LOTS of room for improvements them suggestion are a lot of them about users seeking vengance how can they know it? they can't!

Scratch12300
Scratcher
500+ posts

SuperNicky wrote:

Right I was wondering something said a bad word in a project should I report it? only 1
Yes. If you see a swear word in a project, whether it's on the title, in the notes, in a character's speech bubble, or in the song (if any) you should report it no matter how many.

I made a rhyme! I guess I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!

Last edited by Scratch12300 (Aug. 13, 2013 18:45:37)

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Seriously, we need it improved. We have just got attacked by a troll, doing a worst-case-scenario attack on the forums. ST, are you digging this? The forums are still vulnerable to swear words, all of them.

ToxicQuillz
Scratcher
500+ posts

As one of the 7 people who saw the attack, I agree.

stinky
Scratch12300
Scratcher
500+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Seriously, we need it improved. We have just got attacked by a troll, doing a worst-case-scenario attack on the forums. ST, are you digging this? The forums are still vulnerable to swear words, all of them.
Quite.
(B-w[b][/b]ord)
Would turn out to be "(B-word)". If someone put an actual swear word in there instead, they can workaround the filter. ST, is there some way for you to patch up that loophole?

SuperNicky
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hey its me I am back more ADVANCED than ever I know the exact slang for grapes It is 50/50 of a swear to me but saying it may not affect the filter
like mispelled swear words Would you really think I would type swear words? Possibly swear words made apart But the problem is if example someone said fully kicked
it would think that the scratcher who is saying it is swearing under any curcunstances should a user swear witch is the point

Last edited by SuperNicky (Dec. 19, 2013 22:25:20)

firedrake969_test
Scratcher
500+ posts

Reading in between words?

Skyscraper was/is still censored for having some stuff in it, but “My skyscraper was 34 stories tall” in a game where you build a skyscraper is fine.

Support, but it's hard for a machine to tell.

Alt account of Firedrake969.

Rocket II: A black and white bitmap space game!

I seek not fame, but education.

;
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Yeah, we know that there is room for a lot of improvement, particularly in the forums. We have a pretty good filter on the rest of the site but are still making do with just a simple (easily fooled) Regex pattern here in the forums. It's on the list of things to do - it's just that there have been other things that needed doing even more.

Until then, we will count on YOU - our trusty community members to use that Report button when you see something inappropriate. Smart humans like you folks are far more accurate and harder to fool than any filter anyway. Thanks for helping out

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
savaka
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickdude123 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions! But please realize that no bad word filter is going to be able to outwit the ingenuity of dedicated people 100% of the time. There will be things that are missed - and that's why there is a Report button on every comment. We have been working quite hard on the filter - but remember that each time we add a new rule to it - it adds to the number of “false positives” that need to be looked at - and adds to the work that our moderators have to do. So we have to balance how much it tries to find - you would be amazed at the number of “bad” words you can find in ordinary comments - that really aren't bad at all.

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

1. Have the B-W detector read text backwards, forwards, and find bad words in garbled text, if it doesn't already.
Yes - it does some of this now. But we have to be careful not to have it try too many patterns or the false-positive rate skyrockets (it finds things it thinks are bad that really aren't).

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

2. Increase the pool of bad words to block. See the examples above.
That is easily done - and when we find words that we are missing on a regular basis, we will add them. Just keep reporting them when you see them - our moderators see your reports and will tell us when a word is not being caught and we can add it.

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

3. Keep a close tab on newly created users. If there are similarities in usernames (i.e.links removed by moderator) that have a background of swearing, bullying, etc. they shouldn't be creating new accounts, unless they have parental permission to do so.
You are exactly right! We have a number of safeguards in place now - and we will be adding more soon.

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

4. Also detect bad words in usernames as well. Some names can be just as mean as comments.
Indeed they can. As of last week, we have a simple filter on usernames now - we may increase it's scope after we see how it works out.

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

5. Any other suggestions users may make.
Absolutely! If people have ideas to help with this problem, please let us know. It's a tough problem to manage - we're doing far more than we were on the old site now - but there will always be room for improvement.

What you said got me thinking….what if you not make a blacklist, but a whitelist of words people can say, just like what some people make for safe chats? I know that sounds Horrifically tedious, but It could work….
I'm sure someone has made a dictionary with all words except bad words in it. It could just be copied for Scratch.
jontmy00
Scratcher
500+ posts

savaka wrote:

I'm sure someone has made a dictionary with all words except bad words in it. It could just be copied for Scratch.
You're forggeting mispelings and foriegn languages.
SuperNicky
Scratcher
100+ posts

Possibly bad words in other languges Including japanese and chinise But if everyone in scratch ran google chrome they could easily detect what the user is saying in I've reported a few comments only 2 auctally but the BWD should also detect bad words in internet slang
me and joshuaso(please excuse my spelling) where in a like thing where someone said a swear word in internet slang I reported it joshuaso replyed to it saying “please don't swear in scratch” they replyed “its not” joshuaso replyed “it contains slang that is a swear word (something along them lines)” But I can't see barley any bad words in scratch witch is a good thing but like (I don't know was it lightnin or Paddle2See?) said click the report button but for now we should see how it goes I'll always re-post if I see more bad words but also report them to the ST Sometimes Avatars can contain bad languge but like I said leave it for now and when scratch gets a bit more of Bad languge in it

SuperNickys console wrote:

Hmm we should leave it for now SuperNicky
I agree with my console

Mozzi64
Scratcher
100+ posts

How about, if a bad word is detected backwards, the detector will see if the word is in the dictionary. If not in the dictionary, it will be reported.

THE POTATOES, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE
HEELLLLPPP
lol

davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support.

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.

Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
Zapper40
Scratcher
9 posts

I keep seeing bad content on scratch !
Zapper40
Scratcher
9 posts

I detect bad words easily!
luigiracer2000
Scratcher
100+ posts

davidkt wrote:

Support.
+1
SmoshyFan
Scratcher
12 posts

The filter issue that some words that the filter mistakes for a bad word (e.g: skyscraper, grapes), can easily be solved. Just make it uncensor these words and words with the same issue.

Please?

xlk
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think a general purpose BW detector is good enough for a self policed community like scratch, anyone causing problems would be reported and Ip banned.