Discuss Scratch

Crow_Boy08
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

1. They Steal art without crediting
2. They prevent ACTUALLY GOOD PROJECTS from being noticed.
3. Scratch is about expressing yourself, not being a fame hungry monster (rawr)

So ban them, i dont want them on the platform (haha get it?) anymore.

Oh boy

<OUO> :: motion  // this is gary he protects my siggy from evil kumquats 

(( ( •) ) _ (( •))    :: #000000   // this is Michael incase gary cant defeat the kumquats
Post your fakemon! (I would like to see your fanmade pokemon)
bring back the uploads image host
Website
Please post on fakemon forum.
BFAVRH 1
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

What is a “generic platformer”?

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
GamesReinvented
New to Scratch
58 posts

ban generic platformers

no. generic platformers are a good way for new scratchers to be introduced into the platform. if as soon as someone were to join and the only popular projects were super complex 3d games, then likely they would be intimidated, which is why scratch likes to feature simple projects more frequently, to help introduce people to the program. it's not the generic platformers' creator's job to do this, although it does help. generic platformers don't prevent good projects from being noticed, as the definition of good in this scenario is objective. generic platformers are popular because people like them. why ban platformers, something many creators enjoy making, because a few people use them to gain fame? this suggestion does seem a little subjective as and I quote “i dont want them” is more of an opinion rather than a solid proof to why they should be removed. edit: what classifies as a “generic platformer”? the term generic is also pretty opinionated in this scenario, and how would a scratch team moderator determine if a platformer isn't generic, and shouldn't be banned?

about the claim about art stealing, you'd have to provide proof, and well, they're generic which means they usually are made with the same design or colours. If you can prove and find that the art is stolen, very well go report it as it does scratch a favor. and just because a few generic platformers may steal art, all generic platformers shouldn't be banned as a result of someone else's actions. thanks for reading my lil' essay.

Last edited by GamesReinvented (April 24, 2024 01:42:04)

among_us1w2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

Za-Chary wrote:

platformer with the cube of 1 eye. these usually steal from asset packs and try to look original with sometimes sarcasm

dont just say “dont ban evade” or “wrong topic” for a question. answer it, and THEN tell them that this is the wrong topic or not to ban evade. giving just “rejected” and putting the college essay that is TOLORS is not enough. Explain! dont just use ctrl-c ctrl-v! even if it is not what some people want, explain the rejection! answer the question! the forums are not a place to repeat others, they are a place to innovate! anyway who wants to minimod?

scratchers on the forums from 10-500 posts have at most, a 7 short sentence span for replies. if you cant keep your posts in this range, then dont act suprised when someone asks for simplified version
bag randomizer for good games
experience the true chicken nuggies theft simulator : gobo | story
(Removed by Moderator - People with a TV head for a profile picture cannot discuss about the heart and soul of art) /j
OwO :: #44bd8d
^-^ :: #44bd8d
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

Za-Chary wrote:

id link an example but no naming names

its just a platformer thats generic
yk
the 2 black dot eye white rounded square character, same controls, same graphics, simillar thumbnail, just different colors

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
100blacktak
Scratcher
31 posts

ban generic platformers

I think generic platformers shouldn't be banned. I agree though, it's correct that they steal art, prevent unique projects from being noticed, and fame hungriness. Scratch team is not very strict about these issues. Maybe scratch could be a little scricter, but scratch team can't ban them, after all they're following the community guidelines
100blacktak
Scratcher
31 posts

ban generic platformers

It's the first-thought platformer when close your eyes. The ordinary platformers you see everyday
MountY_Backup
Scratcher
100+ posts

ban generic platformers

They are not going to be banned anytime soon, sadly . They don't usually break the community guidelines. If there's one that breaks the community guidelines, please report the project or use contact us.

Za-Chary wrote:

My example of a generic platformer:

100blacktak wrote:

I think generic platformers shouldn't be banned. I agree though, it's correct that they steal art, prevent unique projects from being noticed, and fame hungriness. Scratch team is not very strict about these issues. Maybe scratch could be a little scricter, but scratch team can't ban them, after all they're following the community guidelines

GamesReinvented wrote:

no. generic platformers are a good way for new scratchers to be introduced into the platform. if as soon as someone were to join and the only popular projects were super complex 3d games, then likely they would be intimidated, which is why scratch likes to feature simple projects more frequently, to help introduce people to the program. it's not the generic platformers' creator's job to do this, although it does help. generic platformers don't prevent good projects from being noticed, as the definition of good in this scenario is objective. generic platformers are popular because people like them. why ban platformers, something many creators enjoy making, because a few people use them to gain fame? this suggestion does seem a little subjective as and I quote “i dont want them” is more of an opinion rather than a solid proof to why they should be removed. edit: what classifies as a “generic platformer”? the term generic is also pretty opinionated in this scenario, and how would a scratch team moderator determine if a platformer isn't generic, and shouldn't be banned?

about the claim about art stealing, you'd have to provide proof, and well, they're generic which means they usually are made with the same design or colours. If you can prove and find that the art is stolen, very well go report it as it does scratch a favor. and just because a few generic platformers may steal art, all generic platformers shouldn't be banned as a result of someone else's actions. thanks for reading my lil' essay.

You got the point !

Last edited by MountY_Backup (April 24, 2024 02:18:45)

I like public transit and games.
-Rodri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

ya they aint gonna be banned any time soon sadly bud cuz they dont break the community guidelines ya know, if you see someone stealing art just used the report button brother.

Sent from Samsung Fridge Model RRSGR-34563

they say im gifted but i can't even spell proboably or simoustaniously correctly

omg when you search up “Samsung Fridge Model RRSGR-34563” one of my forums posts are the top result!!111

Have you ever wanted to rule the world?
Get Homework Help here!

✨Yassify the world with kindness✨

I'm Mexican/American
I speak Spanish and English (et un peu de francais)
I'm a roman catholic
I'm smart but have no street smarts
Straight Male
Goals:
Be a better forumer
yadayadayadagoodbye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

while “im a hater” - (random dude online), this would simply go against how scratch works, you can't generalise an entire (not even genre) of games under a single title like this

Scratchers that I've cati-fied
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

ban generic platformers

If you see something that breaks the Community Guidelines (like uncredited assets), please use the Report button. There is nothing wrong with reusing assets, so long as credit is given and there is some originality to the project (it's not an exact copy of another project).

It's what is popular right now so they show up on the front page a lot.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;