Discuss Scratch

-OctoSquid-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

A lot of people say that the ST is lazy because people don't know what the ST is working on, so they assume they're not doing much.

So, I think that the ST should give us monthly progress reports on what they have been working on! It will be like the dolphin progress reports, containing bug fixes, features, rule changes, etc!

They'll be in the announcements forum and the “Scratch News” tab on the front page.

They will happen every month, as seen in the title.

(I hope this isn't a dupe, I couldn't find any)

Thank Goodness I Don't Type Like This Anymore

please don't look at my 2021 forum posts

(ㅤ)
<ㅤ>

da rules wrote:

don't be mean
-OctoSquid-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

Bump (it was on the 2nd page)

(ㅤ)
<ㅤ>

da rules wrote:

don't be mean
plantskym2
Scratcher
500+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

-OctoSquid- wrote:

-This part of post deleted- Support, this could help you know where ST improved things, as sometimes now we don't know.

Last edited by plantskym2 (April 24, 2024 20:10:48)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make. (Credits to ZaChary) My signature thankfully hasn't been eaten by an evil kumquat yet, so I hope it remains that way. My 100th post!! Be sure to follow after watching my animations!!
Please note that I may sometimes give out incorrect information.
Ever wondered why your project wasn't showing up in the search bar or on trending? Here is an explanation why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1zLeGoXLQ
-OctoSquid-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

plantskym2 wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

Please only bump after the last post was 24 hours ago and it is off the first page. Anyways, support, this could help you know where you need to improve on and things, but what is a “dolphin progress report?”
Oh, sorry, I thought I could bump when it was just on the 2nd page, a dolphin progress report refers to the occasional report done on the site for the dolphin emulator (a Wii/Gamecube emulator)
What do you mean by “know where you need to improve on and things”?

(ㅤ)
<ㅤ>

da rules wrote:

don't be mean
MagicCoder330
Scratcher
500+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

tired of bump lectures. I personally believe it is just “if people haven't been there for a while” but I'm sure people will proceed to smite me with the power of the “Erm actually, you need to wait 24 hours” if I do it.

Anyway, I feel like this would help because people would actually be able to see the progress, and people wouldn't be like “ST lazy scratch abandon”

Hello, this is my signature! it goes under every post I make and isn't part of it. shift control down and such to see more

Misconceptions about the Scratch Room

* Low floor: It should be easy to climb in and get started with Scratch - even for Scratchers who have no experience programming. - This does NOT mean complex things shouldn't be added. Making the ceiling higher or the walls wider doesn't make the floor harder to get on.
* Wide walls: Scratchers should be able to make all kinds of things with Scratch - not just animations and games, but news programs, science experiments, things we can't even imagine. - Wide walls means that some things that may be unconventional or odd or “useless” at first glance may still be worthwhile to add, because some people may find them useful for making new unique things.
* High Ceiling: Even though it's easy for someone who is new to programming to get started with Scratch, it should still be possible to make complex stuff. - Although the floor is there, many forumers just look up at the ceiling rather than thinking about the floor. They say “this would be too complicated, new Scratchers wouldn't understand it” without considering the fact that it can be worked up to with the handy floor we have.

((( OwO :: #DC381F) :: #FFCC00)  :: #FFCC00)
This is Georgie the evil grapefruit. He is much larger, stronger, more nutritious and scarier than a kumquat. Donate your soul to him at my profile to help him gain power to overthrow the kumquats and claim his position as the best signature eater!

This is a social experiment, comment and you MIGHT get curator

Get games off the other categories!
LionCoder10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

Support, I always wonder what the ST is doong

I MAY BE WRONG IN THE FORUMS!
Highlight this signature, then hold Shift+Down to see the rest of my signature!

ABOUT ME
MY BEST PROJECTS!

POST MILESTONES: 1st, 5th, 10th, 25th, 50th, 100th, 250th!

Thanks for reading all of my signature :) Comment “curiosity” on my profile if you did
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

If most of these progress reports ended up being “We are continuing to moderate and maintain the website as usual,” do you think Scratchers would be satisfied with such progress reports?

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

Za-Chary wrote:

If most of these progress reports ended up being “We are continuing to moderate and maintain the website as usual,” do you think Scratchers would be satisfied with such progress reports?
No, but at least Scratch Team would be more open as to what they are actually doing. I can bet much of the site's community is expecting Scratch 4.0, so this would also clear things up for those people

And maybe if the ST actually made public changes and issues on their GitHub (or even responded to issues on their repos), we would know what they are doing
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

plantskym2 wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

Please only bump after the last post was 24 hours ago and it is off the first page. Anyways, support, this could help you know where you need to improve on and things, but what is a “dolphin progress report?”
Wrong, it’s and/or.

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
-OctoSquid-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

starlightsparker wrote:

plantskym2 wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

Wrong, it’s and/or.
Where does it say that?

(ㅤ)
<ㅤ>

da rules wrote:

don't be mean
plantskym2
Scratcher
500+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

-OctoSquid- wrote:

plantskym2 wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

Oh, sorry, I thought I could bump when it was just on the 2nd page, a dolphin progress report refers to the occasional report done on the site for the dolphin emulator (a Wii/Gamecube emulator)
What do you mean by “know where you need to improve on and things”?
Sorry, I read the OP wrong. This would be helpful to know what they fixed, and things like that.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make. (Credits to ZaChary) My signature thankfully hasn't been eaten by an evil kumquat yet, so I hope it remains that way. My 100th post!! Be sure to follow after watching my animations!!
Ever wondered why your project wasn't showing up in the search bar or on trending? Here is an explanation why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1zLeGoXLQ
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

-OctoSquid- wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

plantskym2 wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

Wrong, it’s and/or.
Where does it say that?
I don’t have a source, but I’ve heard this various times.

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
plantskym2
Scratcher
500+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

starlightsparker wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

plantskym2 wrote:

-OctoSquid- wrote:

Wrong, it’s and/or.
Where does it say that?
I don’t have a source, but I’ve heard this various times.
Yes, you are correct. Sorry OctoSquid, my information was wrong, I will remove that part of my post, so ignore that.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Monthly Progress reports

I can assure you that I don't know of any “lazy” Scratch Team members - and it's rather insulting to make that accusation. The team has gotten smaller in the last year while the number of people on Scratch has gotten larger. So fewer people have to do more.

That being said - I personally feel that the team could be more transparent about our on-going work.

Last edited by Paddle2See (April 24, 2024 21:23:08)

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;