Discuss Scratch

DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

Converting Scratch Projects to .exe Files

Hey guys,

I am doing a coursework project for my A2 Edexcel GCE Applied ICT exam, which requires the creation of an entire multimedia product, comprising of various components (images, videos, animations etc.). There are a wide range of options that can be selected by the student for this required work, which spans from games intended for a particular audience to a brochure for a certain company, advertising the features and services they offer.

In my case, I'll probably be doing something along the lines of the former, with the addition of some educational elements preceding the game which will also provide knowledge on my chosen topic to the viewer of the project. Any platform used to create this piece of coursework is acceptable, as long as the final product is given in an executable format which will subsequently be embedded on a webpage for the examiner's convenience.

As you may have already guessed, I plan to use Scratch as the main program to complete this project. However, while I've seen discussions of SB to EXE (on Windows) and APP (on Mac) converters, I haven't really come across any such downloadable resources which support this, although I did see the Scratch Wiki mentions Scratch2EXE. I would like to know if anyone has used this, and if so, how suitable it is for this purpose. Also, if there are any other reliable downloads, please inform me of their presence.

Thanks for all you help,
DIY
DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

With Scratch 2.0, you currently can't. But, if you use Scratch 1.4, you can then open the project in Snap, a Scratch mod, and then export it to an EXE file.

nathan_tanara
Scratcher
41 posts

DIY wrote:

Hey guys,

I am doing a coursework project for my A2 Edexcel GCE Applied ICT exam, which requires the creation of an entire multimedia product, comprising of various components (images, videos, animations etc.). There are a wide range of options that can be selected by the student for this required work, which spans from games intended for a particular audience to a brochure for a certain company, advertising the features and services they offer.

In my case, I'll probably be doing something along the lines of the former, with the addition of some educational elements preceding the game which will also provide knowledge on my chosen topic to the viewer of the project. Any platform used to create this piece of coursework is acceptable, as long as the final product is given in an executable format which will subsequently be embedded on a webpage for the examiner's convenience.

As you may have already guessed, I plan to use Scratch as the main program to complete this project. However, while I've seen discussions of SB to EXE (on Windows) and APP (on Mac) converters, I haven't really come across any such downloadable resources which support this, although I did see the Scratch Wiki mentions Scratch2EXE. I would like to know if anyone has used this, and if so, how suitable it is for this purpose. Also, if there are any other reliable downloads, please inform me of their presence.

Thanks for all you help,
DIY

turkey3 wrote:

With Scratch 2.0, you currently can't. But, if you use Scratch 1.4, you can then open the project in Snap, a Scratch mod, and then export it to an EXE file.
Also,you can find iexpress by going to run.

—COMMERCIAL—
Are you an Indonesian?????
(Indonesia Raya,Merdeka!,Merdeka!)
Then speak scratch for Indonesia in the Indonesia Scratch Forum!
Please sign up in Dozen Galaxy Collab,with no one,we will close at September 25 2013 (Jakarta & Bangkok Time)

DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

turkey3 wrote:

Thanks. I did come across that but was not too sure about the procedure. In BYOB, you go to Share > Compile This Project. Is it a similar process in Snap?
DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

nathan_tanara wrote:

DIY wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all you help,
DIY

turkey3 wrote:

Sorry, but where is iexpress?
nathan_tanara
Scratcher
41 posts

DIY wrote:

nathan_tanara wrote:

DIY wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all you help,
DIY

turkey3 wrote:

Sorry, but where is iexpress?
Just find it on winxp/vista/7 run program.

—COMMERCIAL—
Are you an Indonesian?????
(Indonesia Raya,Merdeka!,Merdeka!)
Then speak scratch for Indonesia in the Indonesia Scratch Forum!
Please sign up in Dozen Galaxy Collab,with no one,we will close at September 25 2013 (Jakarta & Bangkok Time)

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DIY wrote:

turkey3 wrote:

Thanks. I did come across that but was not too sure about the procedure. In BYOB, you go to Share > Compile This Project. Is it a similar process in Snap?
SNAP is BYOB, its renamed.

DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

turkey3 wrote:

DIY wrote:

turkey3 wrote:

SNAP is BYOB, its renamed.
Snap doesn't have the compile project feature. When you try to import a project from your local file, it doesn't import.
WovenrelmStudios
Scratcher
1 post

I just want to know how to convert to .exe
DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

WovenrelmStudios wrote:

You can download BYOB, a Scratch modification, and then click Share –> Compile this project. That'll do the trick for you.

Also, it's been a long time since this topic was bumped, but is there any other format conversion (apart from EXE/APP) that a modification or external third party program supports? I am aware of the JAR extension, but can this be embedded on an HTML webpage, created using Dreamweaver or FrontPage, without being hosted on another website?
drmcw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I did use scratch2exe once and if you're expecting the project to be compiled you'll be disappointed. All it does is bundle up your project with a copy of Scratch 1.4 and run that. Having said that it does make an exe file that can be run but as you can imagine it's pretty big as it contains not only your project but Scratch 1,4 as well.

10 !
ScratchVaders or Galaga?
Maybe Eliza can help you decide?
erfanhabeeb
New Scratcher
1 post

THANKS
Blueinkproductions
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I am aware that this is a necro, but procd has made a compiler for 2.0 projects.

Generation 2: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
____                  _____  _______              
| \ | | | | | |\ | | /
|___/ | | | |__ | | \ | |/
| \ | | | | | | \ | |\
| | | | | | | | \ | | \
|___/ L____ \___/ |_____ ___|___ | \| | \
PRODUCTIONS

Here's a hint: support = support.

<shameless self promotion>follow me! follow me! follow me! love my stuff! love my stuff! love my stuff! follow me! love my stuff! remix my stuff! follow me! follow me! </shameless self promotion>
procd
Scratcher
100+ posts

Blueinkproductions wrote:

I am aware that this is a necro, but procd has made a compiler for 2.0 projects.
Indeed. In fact DIY's Harry Potter projects were one reason I started it. The graphics effects in those projects lagged so badly I could never play them. I have compiled them and they run very well as the graphics effects in the compiler don't lag as they do in Scratch because they use the gpu. I did have to convert the svg text to bitmap for it to show properly but otherwise they worked well.
DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

procd wrote:

Blueinkproductions wrote:

Indeed. In fact DIY's Harry Potter projects were one reason I started it. The graphics effects in those projects lagged so badly I could never play them. I have compiled them and they run very well as the graphics effects in the compiler don't lag as they do in Scratch because they use the gpu. I did have to convert the svg text to bitmap for it to show properly but otherwise they worked well.
Hehe.

I actually got this problem fixed and submitted the GCE project ages ago. Thanks for the help!
Teanaway
Scratcher
500+ posts

drmcw wrote:

I did use scratch2exe once and if you're expecting the project to be compiled you'll be disappointed. All it does is bundle up your project with a copy of Scratch 1.4 and run that. Having said that it does make an exe file that can be run but as you can imagine it's pretty big as it contains not only your project but Scratch 1,4 as well.
dat scratch2exe thing sounds like a creepypasta O________________________O

ok

Would you like to listen to a good YTPMV/MASHUP made by me?
If so, click on me! You won't regret it!
(sorry… i forgot how to do image links ): )
(Could somebody tell me how?)

Yep, i did something. I call him…well… “Funny dino and martin”. Hes actually a guy, if you couldn't tell. d:
JoeKnapton10
Scratcher
1 post

DIY wrote:

WovenrelmStudios wrote:

You can download BYOB, a Scratch modification, and then click Share –> Compile this project. That'll do the trick for you.

Also, it's been a long time since this topic was bumped, but is there any other format conversion (apart from EXE/APP) that a modification or external third party program supports? I am aware of the JAR extension, but can this be embedded on an HTML webpage, created using Dreamweaver or FrontPage, without being hosted on another website?

An error always occurs
contrapunctus
Scratcher
6 posts

Has anyone had recent success converting to EXE files? Where might one find byob?
DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

contrapunctus wrote:

Has anyone had recent success converting to EXE files? Where might one find byob?
Yep, for a school ICT project I did contact one private service which modified Scratch 2.0 such that it could export projects as EXEs. I didn't have much luck with the download myself due to problems with the program issued online, but I did get in touch with the creators of the software modification and they e-mailed me back my project in EXE form.

As for BYOB, you can download it here (you'll have to scroll about mid-way down the page to find the download link). BYOB comes with a command to convert projects to EXE format very easily in the File menu, so it should be pretty straight-forward from there on. On the down side, however, this program can only import Scratch 1.4 projects, so I'm not sure whether it would suit your current needs.

Last edited by DIY (Nov. 15, 2014 05:21:56)