Discuss Scratch

fluffbunowl
Scratcher
86 posts

An explanation of the "New Scratcher" status

letmethink_test wrote:

Ahh, thanks for posting this by the way.

EDIT: what are the restrictions on editing?

EDIT2: However I can verify that the other three are correct. Post time is obvious, cloud data brings up something that says to wait and be active before cloud data edits are changed and here ([url=google.com]here[/url]) is a test to link to a non scratch site.

Hello, I am Fluffbunowl. I am a scratcher who cannot comment but I love making art and memes (animation memes or normal memes)! I am very weird and I like to draw weird things! I am very friendly I promise

I also love using emojis

I play school of dragons, minecraft, and lego worlds, I enjoy gaming and im very competitive sometimes so I rage quit- but i'm generally very nice so when i'm not playing competitive games i'm at least approachable

I've been on scratch since 2.0 and I miss the good old days, but i'm loyal to scratch even if the updates cause trouble, scratch has been there for me so i'll be there for scratch (though not specifically for the studio update that i'm against everything else about scratch is fine)! I draw using firealpaca and I use a trackpad so I have to have a steady and stamina full hand it can get very frustrating! When gaming I generally use the wasd keys and i'm so accustomed to it I can use then without looking at they keyboard and with very few mess ups! I'm left handed and my hands can get tired easily but when I put on music and I have motivation nothing can stop me as an artist mwahaha!

My favorite genre of music is electro swing, edm and electro (and some others), I like caravan palace, 11 acorn lane, noisestorm, lemon demon, the fat rat, dirty palm, and a lot of others!

My favorite tv shows/movies are gravity falls, attack on titan, my hero academia, Re:Zero, the owl house, httyd/rtte, hamilton, little shop of horrors, and a lot of others I forgot lol- I like anime, animated shows, and animated movies and occasionally live action movies.

I can't comment but I read your comments!

when green flag clicked
forever
say [Imagine, Program, Share!]
end
-FoxArt-
Scratcher
52 posts

I wish I was a “Scratcher”
-Wazzo-
New to Scratch
3 posts

Wait, why can I reply to the ‘New Scratchers’ forum, but not in a normal forum? I don't see why the ST had to do that.
-Wazzo-
New to Scratch
3 posts

-Wazzo- wrote:

Wait, why can I reply to the ‘New Scratchers’ forum, but not in a normal forum? I don't see why the ST had to do that.

Never mind, It only did that with the ‘Announcements’ Forum
-FoxArt-
Scratcher
52 posts

cymaster77
Scratcher
1 post

how do i become a scratcher
Wiltz111
Scratcher
100+ posts

jvvg wrote:

When you joined the website, you may have noticed that your user profile says “New Scratcher”. If you haven't, it looks like this:

Anyway, you may find this annoying, because it has a few restrictions. Before making a topic asking how to get rid of it, please read this brief post about it.

Why it's here
The short answer is to prevent spam.
The longer answer is that this arose out of an actual situation that occurred. A while ago, a bunch of trolls created disposable accounts that posted inappropriate images all over the Scratch forums. In order to prevent that from happening again, the Scratch Team decided to create the “New Scratcher” status, so that in order to have the privileges that could lend themselves to trolling or spamming, users would actually have to show that they use the site for real and wait around a little bit. Unless a troll were extremely dedicated (which is exceedingly rare), he or she would get bored and move on before being able to cause any significant damage.

Restrictions
  • Can't use cloud data
  • Have to wait longer between posts
  • Can't edit posts after leaving the page
  • Can't post links to any non-Scratch site on the forums
  • Have to wait 30 seconds between comments
  • Can't post images

How to get rid of it
I knew the criteria on the old website, and it involved the amount of time you were registered, the number of projects you had, the number of comments you had, and the last time you visited the forums. In order to prevent this information from being abused, I am not going to list the exact numbers for each. On this website, I think the criteria are very similar, but may have a few changes.
Just be active, post constructive comments on peoples' projects, make projects, and generally be helpful around the site, and you will eventually find a link on your profile that says “Become a Scratcher”. Click it, and you will be promoted.

Any questions? Just reply to this thread!

Please notify me of any incorrect/outdated information!
So about the trolling
  1. Well can't they just wait untill there a scratch?
    Also can't they just more user and do the same thing?
ZerosSoCute
Scratcher
500+ posts

Wiltz111 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

When you joined the website, you may have noticed that your user profile says “New Scratcher”. If you haven't, it looks like this:

Anyway, you may find this annoying, because it has a few restrictions. Before making a topic asking how to get rid of it, please read this brief post about it.

Why it's here
The longer answer is that this arose out of an actual situation that occurred. A while ago, a bunch of trolls created disposable accounts that posted inappropriate images all over the Scratch forums. In order to prevent that from happening again, the Scratch Team decided to create the “New Scratcher” status, so that in order to have the privileges that could lend themselves to trolling or spamming, users would actually have to show that they use the site for real and wait around a little bit. Unless a troll were extremely dedicated (which is exceedingly rare), he or she would get bored and move on before being able to cause any significant damage.

Restrictions
  • Can't use cloud data
  • Can't post images

How to get rid of it
I knew the criteria on the old website, and it involved the amount of time you were registered, the number of projects you had, the number of comments you had, and the last time you visited the forums. In order to prevent this information from being abused, I am not going to list the exact numbers for each. On this website, I think the criteria are very similar, but may have a few changes.
Just be active, post constructive comments on peoples' projects, make projects, and generally be helpful around the site, and you will eventually find a link on your profile that says “Become a Scratcher”. Click it, and you will be promoted.

So about the trolling
They could, but if they persisted with trolling afterwards and got reported, they would get banned.
They ban new accounts when they can identify them as a previously banned person, so the accounts probably wouldn't last long.
So combined with banning, it probably helps prevent trolls.

when I think of [MINECRAFT!!!!! v]
switch costume to [Zombie v]
say [... MINECRAFT GRAAA NOTHING IS STOPPING ME NOW!!!]
go to [Computer v]
Open and play Minecraft FOREVER!!!!!!
Signature eaten by evil Kumquat. You see the signature because you're also in the Kumquat's stomach.
Wiltz111
Scratcher
100+ posts

ZerosSoCute wrote:

Wiltz111 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

Why it's here

Restrictions
  • Can't use cloud data
  • Can't post images

How to get rid of it

So about the trolling
They could, but if they persisted with trolling afterwards and got reported, they would get banned.
They ban new accounts when they can identify them as a previously banned person, so the accounts probably wouldn't last long.
But if they used a new name?
Wiltz111
Scratcher
100+ posts

-FoxArt- wrote:

I wish I was a “Scratcher”
want help or something?
Wiltz111
Scratcher
100+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

letmethink wrote:

jvvg wrote:

chocolatepenguin wrote:

jvvg wrote:

New Scratchers have to wait 30 seconds between comments.
Thanks for letting me know. I updated the first post.

letmethink_test wrote:

Ahh, thanks for posting this by the way.

EDIT: what are the restrictions on editing?

EDIT2: However I can verify that the other three are correct. Post time is obvious, cloud data brings up something that says to wait and be active before cloud data edits are changed and here ([url=google.com]here[/url]) is a test to link to a non scratch site.
According to the bugtracker
"NS cannot edit their posts (or titles of their posts) after initial page load of post"
If you look, the new-scratcher there has actually edited their post, try to explain that.
New scratchers can edit posts at this point…
hi
ZerosSoCute
Scratcher
500+ posts

Wiltz111 wrote:

ZerosSoCute wrote:

Wiltz111 wrote:

jvvg wrote:

Why it's here

Restrictions
  • Can't use cloud data
  • Can't post images

How to get rid of it

So about the trolling
But if they used a new name?
They have various ways of identifying them. IP is just one example. I don't know all the ways they can identify a user.

Last edited by ZerosSoCute (Oct. 24, 2017 00:39:52)

go to [Computer v]
Signature eaten by evil Kumquat. You see the signature because you're also in the Kumquat's stomach.
cwkisobel7960
Scratcher
37 posts

i think that octopi are super cute can anyone agree with me lol no-one will reply
-FoxArt-
Scratcher
52 posts

Unfollowing Discussion it's blowing up my comments
Fianjames35
Scratcher
8 posts

Can i get cloud data
Fianjames35
Scratcher
8 posts

When are the restrictions going to be off for me nad how long do we have to be a member to have it removed
dinoman323
Scratcher
2 posts

jvvg wrote:

Why it's here

Restrictions
  • Can't use cloud data
  • Can't post images

How to get rid of it

ok
Fianjames35
Scratcher
8 posts

does this mean i can be a scratcher
ZerosSoCute
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fianjames35 wrote:

Yes, in about a week if you stay active then you will probably get an invite.

go to [Computer v]
Fianjames35
Scratcher
8 posts

ZerosSoCute wrote:

Fianjames35 wrote:

Yes, in about a week if you stay active then you will probably get an invite.
yes thank you do you work for scratch