Discuss Scratch

MammothTonk
Scratcher
18 posts

Train discussion (formerly RoS fourm chat)

Hi can I into ROS?
AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

What happened to CSX’s Gensets?
I believe all of them have been retired and sold.

"Equipped to serve Maine . . . and The Nation"
MAINE CENTRAL

Completely useless fact: Maine Central had a relatively short-lived dedicated TOFC train called “The East Wind”. It ran from Rigby Yard in Portland Maine, to Bangor Maine. It had the designation A119 and came about as a result of the deregulation of the American Railroads in the 1980s. This allowed MEC to adjust haulage rates to be competitive with trucking. This special “Hotshot” train was headed by GP38s or U18B's and used flatcars converted from bulkhead pulpwood cars, or new-build TTX flatcars. This special train was discontinued shortly after Guilford Rail System took over, and TOFC service on the ex-MEC was dissolved along with it.

AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

BNSFRailwayMan2606 wrote:

norfolk southern have good heritage units
Indeed, do you have a particular favorite?

MAINE CENTRAL

Completely useless fact: Maine Central had a relatively short-lived dedicated TOFC train called “The East Wind”. It ran from Rigby Yard in Portland Maine, to Bangor Maine. It had the designation A119 and came about as a result of the deregulation of the American Railroads in the 1980s. This allowed MEC to adjust haulage rates to be competitive with trucking. This special “Hotshot” train was headed by GP38s or U18B's and used flatcars converted from bulkhead pulpwood cars, or new-build TTX flatcars. This special train was discontinued shortly after Guilford Rail System took over, and TOFC service on the ex-MEC was dissolved along with it.

RJTheFox4
Scratcher
18 posts

My favorite would have to be the Pennsylvania heritage unit! Me and my dad love prr (Pennsylvania rail road) Because ,my mother is from there, and of all the locomotives they have! You also cant forget that iconic keystone, and the beautiful Tuscon red paint schemes!
CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:30:26)

Trainstream_Owner
New to Scratch
3 posts

Do one of you guys know any railways for a good Railcam shot?
CN-GMD-1
Scratcher
39 posts

They have been sold to CP to be used as parts sources for the Progress Rail SD70ACU rebuild and upgrade program. As far as I've heard, they are at the Weston Shops in Winnipeg. Right now, the Conrail Historical Society is trying to negotiate with CP to get one, but I'm not sure how well that will go.
AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

CN-GMD-1 wrote:

They have been sold to CP to be used as parts sources for the Progress Rail SD70ACU rebuild and upgrade program. As far as I've heard, they are at the Weston Shops in Winnipeg. Right now, the Conrail Historical Society is trying to negotiate with CP to get one, but I'm not sure how well that will go.
Who knows? It might happen, or it might not.

MAINE CENTRAL

CN-GMD-1
Scratcher
39 posts

AK4NamedWilliam wrote:

CN-GMD-1 wrote:

More unlikely than likely, but possible. Considering they didn't get Progress Rail's big MACs in time, they might not get these, either.
Trainstream_Owner
New to Scratch
3 posts

CN-GMD-1 wrote:

AK4NamedWilliam wrote:

CN-GMD-1 wrote:

More unlikely than likely, but possible. Considering they didn't get Progress Rail's big MACs in time, they might not get these, either.
Are you talking about new trains or old trains?
CN-GMD-1
Scratcher
39 posts

AK4NamedWilliam wrote:

BNSFRailwayMan2606 wrote:

norfolk southern have good heritage units
Indeed, do you have a particular favorite?
New York Central and Conrail, but I like the look of Illinois Terminal and Interstate schemes.
BNSFcn888
Scratcher
83 posts

JPEG image s-l1600
bruh where is my CSX photo at?

Last edited by BNSFcn888 (Feb. 1, 2023 15:58:50)

TurboSergio_
New to Scratch
2 posts

CSX History
See also: List of CSX Transportation predecessor railroads

CSX Transportation Building in Jacksonville, Florida
CSX Corporation was formed on November 1, 1980, as a merger between Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line Industries.

Original logo for the CSX Corporation, emphasizing the “multiplication symbol” X
The name came about during merger talks between Chessie System and SCL, commonly called “Chessie” and “Seaboard”. The company chairmen said it was important for the new name to include neither of those names because it was a partnership. Employees were asked for suggestions, most of which consisted of combinations of the initials. At the same time a temporary shorthand name was needed for discussions with the Interstate Commerce Commission. “CSC” was chosen but belonged to a trucking company in Virginia. “CSM” (for “Chessie-Seaboard Merger”) was also taken. The lawyers decided to use “CSX”, and the name stuck. In the public announcement, it was said that “CSX is singularly appropriate. C can stand for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X, which actually has no meaning.” However, an August 9, 2016, article on the Railway Age website stated that “ … the ‘X’ was for ‘Consolidated’ ”. A fourth letter had to be added to CSX when used as a reporting mark because reporting marks that end in X means that the car is owned by a leasing company or private car owner.

The originator of SCL was the former Seaboard Air Line Railroad, which previously merged with the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1967 to form the Seaboard Coast Line. In later years, it merged with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, as well as several smaller subsidiaries such as the Clinchfield Railroad, Atlanta & West Point Railroad, Monon Railroad and the Georgia Railroad. From the late 1970s onward, these railroads were known collectively as the Family Lines. In 1982, they were merged into a single railroad, the Seaboard System Railroad.

The origin of the Chessie System was the former Chesapeake & Ohio Railway, which had merged with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and the Western Maryland Railway.

Despite the merger in 1980, CSX was a paper railroad (meaning no CSX painted locomotives or rolling stock) until 1986. In that year, Seaboard System changed its name to CSX Transportation. On April 30, 1987, the B&O merged into the C&O. With the Western Maryland having already merged into the C&O, this left the C&O as the sole operating railroad under the Chessie System banner. Finally, on August 31, 1987, C&O/Chessie System merged into CSX Transportation, bringing all of the major CSX railroads under one banner.

Trainstream_Owner
New to Scratch
3 posts

TurboSergio_ wrote:

CSX History
See also: List of CSX Transportation predecessor railroads

CSX Transportation Building in Jacksonville, Florida
CSX Corporation was formed on November 1, 1980, as a merger between Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line Industries.

Original logo for the CSX Corporation, emphasizing the “multiplication symbol” X
The name came about during merger talks between Chessie System and SCL, commonly called “Chessie” and “Seaboard”. The company chairmen said it was important for the new name to include neither of those names because it was a partnership. Employees were asked for suggestions, most of which consisted of combinations of the initials. At the same time a temporary shorthand name was needed for discussions with the Interstate Commerce Commission. “CSC” was chosen but belonged to a trucking company in Virginia. “CSM” (for “Chessie-Seaboard Merger”) was also taken. The lawyers decided to use “CSX”, and the name stuck. In the public announcement, it was said that “CSX is singularly appropriate. C can stand for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X, which actually has no meaning.” However, an August 9, 2016, article on the Railway Age website stated that “ … the ‘X’ was for ‘Consolidated’ ”. A fourth letter had to be added to CSX when used as a reporting mark because reporting marks that end in X means that the car is owned by a leasing company or private car owner.

The originator of SCL was the former Seaboard Air Line Railroad, which previously merged with the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1967 to form the Seaboard Coast Line. In later years, it merged with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, as well as several smaller subsidiaries such as the Clinchfield Railroad, Atlanta & West Point Railroad, Monon Railroad and the Georgia Railroad. From the late 1970s onward, these railroads were known collectively as the Family Lines. In 1982, they were merged into a single railroad, the Seaboard System Railroad.

The origin of the Chessie System was the former Chesapeake & Ohio Railway, which had merged with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and the Western Maryland Railway.

Despite the merger in 1980, CSX was a paper railroad (meaning no CSX painted locomotives or rolling stock) until 1986. In that year, Seaboard System changed its name to CSX Transportation. On April 30, 1987, the B&O merged into the C&O. With the Western Maryland having already merged into the C&O, this left the C&O as the sole operating railroad under the Chessie System banner. Finally, on August 31, 1987, C&O/Chessie System merged into CSX Transportation, bringing all of the major CSX railroads under one banner.

I Didn't know nothing of that Thanks i guest also the Trainz simulator 2022 signals the green light look super cool.

Last edited by Trainstream_Owner (Feb. 1, 2023 16:05:12)

BNSFcn888
Scratcher
83 posts

I'm going to let my friend see this she need to learn this about csx Thanks you TurboSergio_
Ashleysarmiento
Scratcher
1 post

Wow I am learning a lot about CSX trains that is History and Other trains as well.

Last edited by Ashleysarmiento (Feb. 1, 2023 16:17:48)

MammothTonk
Scratcher
18 posts

Hey guys, do you know or play Tiny Rails?
timboiloloffical
Scratcher
56 posts

MammothTonk wrote:

Hey guys, do you know or play Tiny Rails?
I played it for a good few years before I lost the data
CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:31:05)

Verbisback
Scratcher
57 posts

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

https://railfan.com/first-second-generation-gw-locomotives-likely-to-be-scrapped-in-deal-with-feds/
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Such good diesels getting wasted! :skull: