Discuss Scratch

polar-express1225
Scratcher
4 posts

Train discussion (formerly RoS fourm chat)

E
AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

Random question: Why did CNW use gong bells on their locomotives?
It was a personal preference by the CNW, and also by the DT&I.
They both used “gong bells” embedded in the nose of the locomotives rather than under the frame next to the front set of trucks, or up next to the headlight. The gong bells were louder and more pronounced than the stock locomotive steel bells, making them much easier to hear coming. They sounded like older-grade crossing bells, just a little slower. Most references that I have seen said that they rang at about 75 rings per minute, or a little more than one ring per second. Interestingly, all the C&NW's gons were “trainlined” meaning that if the engineer rang the bell in the lead locomotive, all of the gongs on the locomotives would ring, not just the lead unit. While this was good when operating with C&NW units, when foreign units were involved there were issues. At one point, the C&NW leased a group of Chessie System units. Acuating the gong on the C&NW unit led to some strange and undesirable effects on the gong-less Chessie units. This is what led to UP replacing all of the gongs with ordinary EMD steel bells on the ex-CNW units after the merger.

"Equipped to serve Maine . . . and The Nation"
MAINE CENTRAL

Completely useless fact: Maine Central had a relatively short-lived dedicated TOFC train called “The East Wind”. It ran from Rigby Yard in Portland Maine, to Bangor Maine. It had the designation A119 and came about as a result of the deregulation of the American Railroads in the 1980s. This allowed MEC to adjust haulage rates to be competitive with trucking. This special “Hotshot” train was headed by GP38s or U18B's and used flatcars converted from bulkhead pulpwood cars, or new-build TTX flatcars. This special train was discontinued shortly after Guilford Rail System took over, and TOFC service on the ex-MEC was dissolved along with it.

Appleheads1
Scratcher
2 posts

I'd like to join.
timboiloloffical
Scratcher
56 posts

Appleheads1 wrote:

I'd like to join.
invited
CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:28:28)

siren_enjoyer
Scratcher
8 posts

who invited the brits into the us for locomotive engineering

A Ba'ased multi-interest lad. Also the guy who j

No Dabloons?

WARNING: deadly birch tree below

AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

Does anybody know what happened to CSX 7520?
According to a forum reply on Loconotes.com, it was involved in a wreck in Cutting, Georgia, in 1997, and was severely damaged. Roster records show that after the wreck it was “recommended for retirement”. No photographs exist (Apart from ones with incorrect dates) of the locomotive after this wreck, and it can reasonably be deduced that it was broken up for scrap.

MAINE CENTRAL

Completely useless fact: Maine Central had a relatively short-lived dedicated TOFC train called “The East Wind”. It ran from Rigby Yard in Portland Maine, to Bangor Maine. It had the designation A119 and came about as a result of the deregulation of the American Railroads in the 1980s. This allowed MEC to adjust haulage rates to be competitive with trucking. This special “Hotshot” train was headed by GP38s or U18B's and used flatcars converted from bulkhead pulpwood cars, or new-build TTX flatcars. This special train was discontinued shortly after Guilford Rail System took over, and TOFC service on the ex-MEC was dissolved along with it.

CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:28:40)

timboiloloffical
Scratcher
56 posts

A goofy New England hidden gem
Backshop-Productions
Scratcher
11 posts

timboiloloffical wrote:

A goofy New England hidden gem
That grade looks crazy
CN-GMD-1
Scratcher
39 posts

AK4NamedWilliam wrote:

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

They both used “gong bells” embedded in the nose of the locomotives rather than under the frame next to the front set of trucks, or up next to the headlight. The gong bells were louder and more pronounced than the stock locomotive steel bells, making them much easier to hear coming. They sounded like older-grade crossing bells, just a little slower. Most references that I have seen said that they rang at about 75 rings per minute, or a little more than one ring per second. Interestingly, all the C&NW's gons were “trainlined” meaning that if the engineer rang the bell in the lead locomotive, all of the gongs on the locomotives would ring, not just the lead unit. While this was good when operating with C&NW units, when foreign units were involved there were issues. At one point, the C&NW leased a group of Chessie System units. Acuating the gong on the C&NW unit led to some strange and undesirable effects on the gong-less Chessie units. This is what led to UP replacing all of the gongs with ordinary EMD steel bells on the ex-CNW units after the merger.
I know no one asked, but Illinois Terminal also used them, as well as North Shore Line. Doesn't seem like the gong would be louder than a nose/roof mounted traditional bell. The issue with traditional bells being ‘quiet’ is that they are mounted underneath them frame, and the sound can't project forward and is dispersed throughout the undercarriage. That trainline sounds like a pretty strange idea, and would only be useful for reverse power moves…
AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

CN-GMD-1 wrote:

AK4NamedWilliam wrote:

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

I know no one asked, but Illinois Terminal also used them, as well as North Shore Line. Doesn't seem like the gong would be louder than a nose/roof mounted traditional bell. The issue with traditional bells being ‘quiet’ is that they are mounted underneath them frame, and the sound can't project forward and is dispersed throughout the undercarriage. That trainline sounds like a pretty strange idea, and would only be useful for reverse power moves…
That's what I was referring to, with the sound projection, I just thought that came across in my original message. Evidently, it did not. Also, thanks for the tidbit about the Illinois Terminal and North Shore Line. In regards to the “trainlined” gongs, I have no idea why C&NW did that apart from, again, personal preference.

MAINE CENTRAL

CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:29:25)

timboiloloffical
Scratcher
56 posts

CSXRailroadFan wrote:

What is going to happen to the locomotives that are still stored at former NREX Slivis Shops?
they are going to get scrapped probably if they aren't already

Last edited by timboiloloffical (Jan. 26, 2023 21:14:29)

CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:29:43)

timboiloloffical
Scratcher
56 posts

AK4NamedWilliam
Scratcher
28 posts

POLE QUESTION: Are any of you interested in me publishing lore projects for my own fictional shortline? I have published two projects depicting maps of two primary locations along the right of way, and I am looking to publish more. However, if you all do not want to see that sort of stuff from me, I can remove those projects. So, what do you all think I should do?

MAINE CENTRAL

CN-GMD-1
Scratcher
39 posts

No particular interest, but you can do it if you'd like.
CSXRailroadFan
Scratcher
53 posts

ˆ ˆ

Last edited by CSXRailroadFan (June 20, 2023 16:30:03)