Discuss Scratch

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

✂- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#Word War w/ @icebunny11 : Word Wars

Just like writing, Word Wars are fun!

To play, you must be a JWC-er. You go to the Main Cabin. You walk ask for the directions of the area/region of Words Wars.

You take the war form, and fill in information, which is :

Cabin Name :

WPM (Word Per Minute) :

War Time :

After writing, you submit that paper, and another JWC-er will ping and tell you that they want to war you. You can ask them for their form, and then decide whether or not you want to have a war with them. You set the timer off according to the time you both agreed on, and start writing! When that time ends, you stop writing, and tell each other how many words ya got.

The one who got a higher amount of words wins, obviously. Then, the winner of the war notifies a leader to add the points to their cabin! It's just that simple! You don't always have to be the one who submits the details- you can also be the one who asks another person if they'd like to war with you. But this can only happen in the area. You cannot personally ask a person, outside the region to war with you. You also should not cheat. Be honest, because it's just a game, am I right?

These were just the fundamentals. If you and your war partner are in in different time zones, and you both are not able to agree on a common time, you both can go ahead separately, and then tell each other later!

What to do if you both get a tie? Oh well, you both just win, I jolly well suppose!

This was written for a 5-min word war anyways, lol.

Last edited by Coding_Captain_UG (Jan. 20, 2023 07:49:47)

Heyyy! It's Coding_Captain_UG, but I'd prefer that you call me CCU!

∘ She/Her ∘ Romantic ∘ Book Lover ∘ Sleepy Head ∘
∘ LGBTQIA+ Supporter ∘ Owner of a billion shops ∘
∘ Aesthetics, Tutorials, Games, More! ∘

My profile linkShop link #1Shop link #2Best Proj
Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Daily 21 : Writing Fight : Day 2

CHARACTER : @TWILIGHT_A : Calliope // 19 // Female // Elegant, cheerful, blends in with everyone, but she has a dark side // long flowy brown hair and lovely blue eyes, small and loves wearing flowy dresses.

The dawn over-looked the horizon. It gave way to a mysterious shadow, whose reflection fell on the ocean. Floating partially on the sand, Calliope, the 19 year old female was there. Her long, flowy, brown hair were soaked in the water, and her blue eyes full of tears. Her purple dress was faded. Everyone knew her to be elegant and cheerful, but no one knew of her dark side. This state of her was the portal to her wretched face.

Looking at her, it seemed as if she had a bad dream, but for once, she is not actually a kid, but rather an adult, that she’d have nightmares. Her life itself became her worst fear sometimes, and it was because of her brother. He wasn’t exactly a human being. He was a spirit. Nobody knows him, not even their parents. He only appears in front of Calliope, because she’s the one he wants to haunt.

According to Calliope, her brother always had a problem with her. He was a person, but god didn’t consider him good enough to be on this Earth. He was banished, and hence came to be what he currently is. He thinks this is all because of her, and that if she was never born, his life would have been something. It had always been his mistake, but telling him that would rather be the worst choice.

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Daily 22 : Writing Fight : Day 3

CHARACTER : @school4girlsad : Estelle Laurent // Seventeen // Female // Dreamer, introvert, very socially awkward. Soft spoken but has thousands of ideas (some of which she never shares). She loves researching and being in nature-sort-of a science nerd. She is very loyal and opens up to those she trusts. Unsure of herself and her capabilities. // Messy wavy brown hair, just past the shoulders with a deep side part. Pale skin, deep brown eyes, petite, slightly curvy frame. She is always cold so she usually wears oversized sweaters and jeans.

Stars shine brightly, in the deep, dark, night sky. Estelle, just another star, waits for that. A curvy figure, with messy brown hair and deep brown eyes is found staring outside the huge window of her white lab.

“Miss Laurent, are you alright?” her British assistant says.

“Yes, I’m fine.” Estelle speaks up.

Estelle is quite the nature-sort-of a science nerd. She’s known to be a dreamer, an introvert and socially awkward. She is loyal to most people, and opens up to those she trusts. She is unsure of herself and her capabilities.

She was tired of living like this. Away from people. She wanted to shine, like the stars! She wanted people to know who she is, and that she’s not the quiet girl they think she is. But it was difficult for her, being an absolute introvert.

“Did you get me that design?” she asked her assistant.

“Yes, here it is.” she said, handing it over to her.

“Good. You may go now.”

As her assistant left the room, Estelle took the blueprints and looked over it.

“Perfect. She’s done a perfect job!” Estelle exclaimed.

Being a science enthusiast, she planned to open an observatory-*-garden, inspired from both her love for the universe and botany.

“I shall submit these up to the government. Hopefully, they’ll see my vision and sanction this project.”

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Weekly 3 : Settings
#Part 1 : The Five Senses

! PROOF SUBMITTED LATE DUE TO SOME PROBLEMS !

Hearing : Vilina was having a peaceful sleep. The crackles of the fire sounded cosy to her, and the rain was pleasant. It poured down a lot that night, and the sound of thunder woke her up, sharp at 5 a.m.

That jolt of lightning seemed to have knocked the sleep out of her. She got up, put on her water-proof jacket and went outside. Each and every step she took, it made the sound of mud scrunching underneath. The noise gave very untidy feelings.

She heard some animals screeching around, monkeys to be precise. The birds were not to be heard of, and it was as if they had just vanished somewhere. Suddenly, she heard the snapping of a twig behind her, and then whining. She turned around to see who it was, and it was a small dog, who had hurt his paw from the sharp edge of the branch.

Taste : Eira was sitting in a cafe, sipping on some hot chocolate. The flavour of the chocolate didn’t seem to be ordinary. There was a different feeling in it, a burst of sweetness, the bitterness of cocoa somewhere in it. It tasted just like magic.

The lemonade she drank was crazy. The freshness, the squeeze of lemon, the pinch of salt and sugar- everything was there.

That plum cake she ate, it was perfectly baked, shaped in a proper way, the bread was soft, the raisins were a pop, the tutti frutti was crunchy.

Those coconut cookies, the coconut gave that immensely nutty, and over-taking feeling. The whole cookie was crispy, just as if it had been baked from magic.

Every small thing, from vegetables to the fanciest food you have ever eaten felt out of the world, extra-ordinary. Everything she ate felt really fresh. Eira was lost in another different world.

Sight : The mountains were covered with snow. They had shades of whites and blues. The clouds hovering over at the top made it look as if there was heaven right above those peaks. The sky was white, with clouds all over the place. There was hardly any other colour present in the sky. The lakes were frozen, and perfect for ice-skating.

At a slightly lower altitude, there was a totally different scenery. The lush forests gave an earthly vibe. The trees were dark green, as well as red. The flowers were pretty, and pastel. The fog that settled above gave a misty feel. The path was brown, and so were the barks of the trees. Cones were lying in some areas, and gave a soft feel.

The landscape was breath-taking, with white at one hand and green at the other. They blended in perfectly. It was almost a dream to witness such aesthetic-ness.

Smell : Lia’s dream was quite peculiar. She dreamt of something she never had - food. Not the taste, but the smell. It was unlikely for her to feel hungry at night, but food was something she was always fascinated about.

All the soups gave her a tangy, vegetably feeling. The chocolate shake of McDonald’s had a rather frothy, chocolaty smell than ever. Her mother's yummy carrot pie had creaminess, and carrot-ness inside of it. She could tell that just by going near it, and not even tasting it.

Despite the food, she got a few other things in her dream. The essential oil in her room, that her father had bought for her, had a fresh, strawberry fragrance. Her sister’s perfume had a lemony twist in it, weird for perfumes though, she thought. The sea was salty, yet breezy and cold at every sniff. One of the craziest things, her cat, actually had a clean smell, rather than the one with fish all the time!

Touch : Ari lay on the beach, playing with the little sea shells she found. The water came by and gushed out the previous layer of sand, and almost took away Ari.

“Oh my, the current certainly is hard today!” she said to herself.

She picked up her bag, and tried to find her journal inside. She was pretty wet, so she didn’t try to touch things properly.

“Ah! Here it is!” she said, pulling out her book.

She went on writing a small poem in it as she walked away from the sea side. She wasn’t even looking straight, just in her little notebook. It was amazing how she could feel things just like that and know where to go.

“Oops- I should be careful not to trip over that rock!” she alerted herself, still stuck inside her writing.

Even though it was just a small piece of work, it took her the whole time, and she reached home just by feeling her surroundings, and she was surprised that she did do so!

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Daily 23 : Favourite Song

There are a ton of songs that are my personal favourite, and in various different languages. But, since this daily only requires one, I decided to go ahead with “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion. You should totally listen to this song, it is soul-touching <3 I always cry whenever I listen to this song, because if you hear it carefully, you’ll find it’s true meaning hidden deep down. This story is inspired from the original movie Titanic, only it is a bit re-told and scratch-friendly.

A new day began. Rosie woke up, only to realise that it was the day she would never want to see. She was to be engaged to Evon McCallister, a wealthy man. She didn’t love him, not a bit. But her mother forced her to marry him, to maintain their status.

McCallister wins three third-class tickets to Titanic, and he himself, Rosie and her mother go aboard the ship. They set sail, and Rosie, who has lost all her hopes now stands on a railing, ready to jump.

Jack, another teenager, motivates her and brings her back on the deck. They both develop a strong friendship, and later on fall in love with each other. When her mother and Evon get to know about this, they strongly deny their presence, but they cannot stay far away from one another.

Titanic, swimming in frozen waters, ignored warnings of nearby icebergs, and accidentally crashed into one, causing the ship to break and drown. The first ones to know about this were Jack and Rosie. They ran to inform everyone about the collision, and urged them to leave immediately. But the crisis turned out to be bigger than thought.

Rosie, not ready to leave Jack’s company, didn’t board a lifeboard. Her mother and fiance pushed her to do it, but she was just not ready. She was afraid that they’d be parted forever, distraught in their own worlds. Jack promised her that nothing will happen to them.

But alas, life isn’t easy. In order to save her, Jack gave his life. Rosie was saved, and moved on in her world. But, how could she forget him? Before sacrificing himself, he gave her a necklace, which he called The Heart of The Ocean, and told her that she’s the special one. Rosie always kept it with herself, in her possession.

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Weekly 4 : Editing
#Part 1 : Critiquing

Original Story/Writing Piece : https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/652713/?page=9#post-6905330

Critique :

Amethyst, I really liked the topic of the story! I loved the way you framed out the writing, and the details you have explained in the descriptions! It’s cool to see how you’ve put in a squeaky little rabbit, Violet, in the middle of a story all about mystery! That addition gives a nice touch to the story, and makes it feel lively I especially found the name of the protagonist, Margaret Beauregarde really interesting :00 You have a good sense of vocabulary, as the words you have used to describe, adjectives to be precise, are pushing the story forward.

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but some of the grammar felt a bit wrong/misplaced. It might also be the way you’ve phrased the sentence that makes it look like that, but it may cause harm to your writing, actually. It was quite unclear on which tense you were writing in, because somewhere it was past, somewhere present, then continuous and so on. Although it is good to do so, I still feel that you should keep specific ones as it keeps the writing neat, overall.

Somehow, the middle part, where you have mentioned that visitors usually visit your townhouse, was maybe a bit irrelevant? Not completely, but, how is the bell downstairs supposed to have any connection Margaret? Though I know that this is to explain that it was normal for her to hear the doorbell, I think it was rather unconnected.

Overall, this was an amazing piece, and you have done a great job with it! Every single line makes sense, but you just need to solve a few things. I really hope this feedback helps you, and continue the story forward, I’d love to read it <33

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Part 2 : Editing The Story

The morning of 1st Jan, 2023 was indeed a beautiful one. The sun shined golden, the wind blew, the birds sang in harmony as CCU woke up, glaring outside her large glass window.

“Ah, what a special morning to begin the day with!”

As soon as she finished saying that, there was a knock on her window. She put her cute slippers on, and went on towards the window. She opened up the sheer curtains to find a pretty sparrow holding an envelope. The bird was utterly pretty, holding the envelope in its feet as if it was trained to do so.

“Eh? What's this? How does this bird know who I am, and what is it doing here?” she wondered, opening her window.

The sparrow flew inside, and handed her the envelope by letting go of her clutches, and then puffing some wind through her wings. CCU immediately grasped it. It was from the Sleuth Library! CCU got excited like she had never been before, and was keen on knowing what was inside it. She turned to thank the sparrow, but it had disappeared out of her sight!

“Wow, that was weird.” she said, her eyebrows twitching.

Forgetting about her excitement for a while, she went to get dressed up. She made herself some yummy pancakes, and sat down on her white dining table, picking the envelope up. She carefully took the seal off, which was the sign of books, of course indicating the library it belonged to.

“I CAN'T WAIT!” she exclaimed out of curiosity, her eyes gleaming.

She took the letter out, and opened it up. She couldn't believe it! IT WAS BLANK!

“No.. This cannot be possible!” she said shakily, tears coming in her eyes. Just then, a bulb lit up in her mind!

“There has to be a key to unlock this mystery..” she was deep in thought.. Suddenly, she ran towards her window and flung it open, running towards her balcony. She looked around for some clues, and noticed a pendant, lying right beside the fountain, yet again in the shape of a book.

“Woah- where have I seen this before?” she held it in her hands, and walked towards her mirror. Her hands were trembling, as she wore the book-shaped pendant. She blacked out thereafter in a flash.. When she woke up, she was in a place she had never visited or even seen before. She was alarmed by a soft tap on her shoulder. Finally recovering from the shock she had been in, she looked up.

“Bonjour, mademoiselle!” a gentle lady said, with a french accent.

”Namaste! I’m CCU, a Sleuth Librarian. And who are you?“ she started off with her traditional salutation.

”I’m Lune, the guide of this library!”

"So, it was YOU all along! Playing with us, like the gamemaster.

“Haha, yes, I was the one behind it all! I’m sorry for my ways, but I like being mysterious, like the Moon.”

CCU laughed nervously. Lune indeed was like the Moon. She was gorgeous, with greyish-blue eyes and brown hair. Her skin was white as the Moon was, and had a personality completely reflecting the Moon.

“I’m jolly well happy to meet a sophisticated person like you! But why have you brought me here, by the holy lord, and that too in the weirdest means?”

“As you know, today is 1st January 2023, the day the mystery of the library begins.”

“WHAT-“ CCU’s mind was washed away.

“Don’t be so surprised. You’re not alone here, all your fellow librarians, or Sleuthers, like you call them, are present here as well.”

CCU looked around, but saw nobody. “Where are they?”

“You won’t find them so easily. Just look around. They might be present anywhere IN this library.”

“ARE YOU CRAZY!?” CCU exclaimed.

“I certainly am.” she said, cackling. “Good luck finding ‘em here!” she disappeared, with a flash, as soon as these words left her mouth, and left CCU baffled.

“NO!” CCU’s voice echoed, with no one to hear her. What will she do now? The mystery awaits..

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Part 3 : Silly Version

The morning of 1st Jan, 2023 was indeed a beautiful one. The sun shined golden, the wind blew, the birds sang in harmony as CCU woke up, glaring outside her large glass window.

“Ah, what a special morning to begin the day with!”

As soon as she finished saying that, there was a knock on her window. She put her cute slippers on, and went on towards the window. She opened up the sheer curtains to find a pretty sparrow holding an envelope. The bird was utterly pretty, holding the envelope in its feet as if it was trained to do so.

“Eh? What's this? How does this bird know who I am, and what is it doing here?” she wondered, opening her window.

The sparrow flew inside, and handed her the envelope by letting go of her clutches, and then puffing some wind through her wings. CCU immediately grasped it. It was from the Sleuth Library! CCU got excited like she had never been before, and was keen on knowing what was inside it. She turned to thank the sparrow, but it had disappeared out of her sight!

“Wow, that was weird.” she said, her eyebrows twitching.

Forgetting about her excitement for a while, she went to get dressed up. She made herself some yummy pancakes, and sat down on her white dining table, picking the envelope up. She carefully took the seal off, which was the sign of books, of course indicating the library it belonged to.

“I CAN'T WAIT!” she exclaimed out of curiosity, her eyes gleaming.

She took the letter out, and opened it up. She couldn't believe it! IT WAS BLANK!

“No.. This cannot be possible!” she said shakily, tears coming in her eyes. Just then, a bulb lit up in her mind!

“There has to be a key to unlock this mystery..” she was deep in thought.. Suddenly, she ran towards her window and flung it open, running towards her balcony. She looked around for some clues, and noticed a pendant, lying right beside the fountain, yet again in the shape of a book.

“Woah- where have I seen this before?” she held it in her hands, and walked towards her mirror. Her hands were trembling, as she wore the book-shaped pendant. She blacked out thereafter in a flash.. When she woke up, she was in a place she had never visited or even seen before. She was alarmed by a soft tap on her shoulder. Finally recovering from the shock she had been in, she looked up.

“Meow! Meow meow meow.” a cat said.

”OH MY WHISKERS-“ CCU shouted, extremely startled!

“Calm down, girly!” the cat spoke.

"A-a-a talking cat.. I must be dreaming..” her head was spinning.

“Carefully, missy! Are you alright?” the cat gently asked her.

“Of course, here I am, talking to an animal, dreaming..” CCU replied.

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t actually tell you who I am. I’m known as Kia, a persian cat. I belong to this library, and what about you?”

“Ah.. Pardon me for my craziness. I’m CCU, a Sleuth librarian.. What makes you bring me here?”

“Well, hello there! I’m here on behalf of the gamemaster.” Kia told her.

“Wait- who?” she asked, getting up.

“I- uh– the head librarians, Piper and Pineapple!” she managed to stutter.

CCU found Kia to be quite suspicious when she spoke this line, especially as she was nothing but a talking cat!

“Please follow me, I’ll lead you to your bookshelf.” Kia offered her.

“M-m-my bookshelf? What do you mean?” she asked her, trying not to accept.

“You’ll see when you reach over to that place!” she blurted out, growing a sinister smile.

With that, she took CCU by the paw, and they walked along a few sections until finally reaching the area. Just as she entered the room, she saw Kia stepping behind.

“What’s the matter? Come on in!” CCU told her.

“I remembered some important work.. I’ll be back soon!” Kia shouted, her plans in front of her.

CCU never should have trusted her, because she locked her inside the mysterious, old, dusty cabin.

“HELPPPPPPp!” she shouted, cursing the cat.

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Daily 30 : Thoughts And Opinions

JWC is the second camp I’ve ever participated in, the first one being SRC. Honestly, this camp was a lot of fun. I hadn’t expected it to turn out to be so memorable, but I guess it just did!

Each and everyone, from Jean or Dawn, to Piper or Pineapple, even the campers, have been extremely supportive. It doesn’t feel like competition, but just giving our best.

I haven’t really been a “writer” because there are not many stories I have ever written. Most of my writing skills came from school work, and then lockdown enhanced it a bit, which is when I wanted to start writing stories and poems.

JWC gave me a platform to build my hobby, and become better. This was the only place where I wrote almost daily, and also partnered up with people for stories. I learnt many new things, which wouldn’t have been possible if I hadn’t participated in this.

I also met many new people, and learnt a lot from their writings. I was extremely delighted to know that Amethyst and Pinky, two very amazing people and friends were in my cabin. It was fun collaborating and rp-ing with them, along with a bunch of other things we did.

Jean, and Dawn, thank you so much for bringing forward JWC. Piper and Pineapple, you both have managed the Sleuth cabin in the most spectacular way and proved to be the best <3

I have no suggestions on what possibly could be improved, as good > bad, like our tradition teaches us. The amazing factors will always overtake the slightly neglected ones, and hence, it’ll always be the most wonderful camp! May this camp never change, for if it does, it won’t be as fun as this one is.

I could go on and on, but I must stop. I will definitely join back in the next session. JWC CANNOT BE EXPRESSED IN WORDS EVER!! <333333333

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Daily 27 : Information

POSTED LATE BECAUSE OF TRIP!

There are a lot of things I’d seriously like to improvise on, but after getting a little bunch of feedback from a few people, I decided to read and research about adding descriptions, to make the story sound better, and make it more imaginative.

While scrolling on my browser, there were a lot of good results, and I could not select just one of them. I went through at least five or six of them, which were :

6 Tips For Adding Description Without Slowing Your Story | Go Teen Writers
How to Use Descriptive Writing to Improve Your Story - 2023 - MasterClass
How to Add More Detail to Writing
How To Write Descriptions And Create A Sense Of Place – Jericho Writers
How to Write Vivid Descriptions to Capture Your Readers: 7 Writing Tips - 2023 - MasterClass

They proved to be extremely helpful to me, as descriptions are just a small part that I really struggle with. I’d really want to apply these to my future writings, as they will only help me evolve much more!

Coding_Captain_UG
Scratcher
100+ posts

CCU's JWC Journal

#Daily 31 : Last Day Of Camp

Woah.. Today is the last day of camp, I can’t believe it. It’s been the most amazing journey ever <3

I’d like to thank everyone in Sleuth, starting below :

Piper and Pineapple (the amazing head librarians)
You both are the most amazing people ever! You have supported me in every small part of the camp, and have proved to be the fun in our cabin. Sleuth wouldn’t be what it is without you, and despite your real life, you managed us spectacularly. Hats off to you both for that <333

Pinky (a wonderful friend and writer)
Besides JWC, thank you so much for being there for me all the time! You are one of the best writers I have ever seen, and your writings have inspired me a lot ^^ I didn’t get to partner up with you for anything this session, but still, you mean a lot to me <3

Amethyst (just as Pinky, wonderful)
Heyy, girl! Your writings are fun, and I enjoyed partnering up with you for the 4th weekly Your constructive feedback, your emotions, and being a good friend are just wow <33

Fellow Sleuthers (super creative!)
The month of January wouldn’t have been interesting without you! All of you are out-of-the-world writers, your stories have filled me up to the fullest. It was a pleasure to collaborate with everyone, even if they weren’t as active.

Overall, it breaks my heart to leave behind this session, there are tears in my eyes as I craft this piece of my feelings. The other cabins, their leaders, and the hosts - I couldn’t have been here without anyone of you <3