Discuss Scratch

Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

'Community Picks' - the solution to our popularity problems

DarthVader4Life wrote:

Technically, the Propose Projects to be Featured studio is “Community Picks” as featured projects tend to be chosen from there and the community are the ones who propose the projects. I'm not so sure how this would be so different, but if this were to be implemented, maybe it could repurpose the studio in some way?
Yeah, it's true that they are similar; however, I was hoping that this section would be more accessible, especially to people who don't know about the studio or are just browsing. I'll have a think about repurposing the studio, though - that sounds like it could have some cool results.

kween of the page hahaha

Last edited by Eagle138 (June 16, 2022 06:18:42)

~ Eagle38
coder/artist/noob animator :: he/they :: unconventional :: comment ‘e’ on my profile if you see this
just call me Eagle
fancy signature banner coming…one day
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chosen by scratch is a better name

Highlight +shift+ down to see full signature
Generation 20: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your signature in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

Touch of adventure White Tiger Federation

signature in progress
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yes, a scratcher should be able to add their projects and also you should not require a full scratcher status to do this

Generation 20: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your signature in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

signature in progress
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

cs2861142 wrote:

Milk909 wrote:

there should be a 60 second cooldown so no spam occurs

This is another thing that could potentially be useful to prevent spam, which could also be potentially inappropriate. I agree with this statement, although I believe the cooldown should be longer. Potentially 2 or more minutes?
Wow, you guys are so generous. I was thinking you should only be able to request one project a day.
Yes

signature in progress
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SavetheAtlantic wrote:

So basically trending with less strict requirements. This wouldn't solve anything. There's still a limited number of projects that can be shown.
No, only underrated projects by people who want to show theirs or someone else wants the other persons project to be shown will be shown and they will get a lot of attention and I was also thinking that all project that qualify to be shown should be shown in a lined up manner all project 1 by one added to the page and the project will be displayed for a day maximum.

Also I was thinking that the order of appearance you mentioned should not be there. I feel that It will display projects as lined up and Yes they can show in the all category as well. Also I feel there should be 20 projects and people be able to remove their own projects from the category. A removed project may only be added after 15 days have passed removing it.

Also maybe new scratchers cannot add their own projects but other full scratcher can?

signature in progress
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also for eligibility as you said atleast 15 loves for moderation issues I think you should instead add 20 views
Also what about a 1 day cooldown (5 projects can be added in a day) instead of just 2 hours. And for newscratchers it may be 2 projects a day.
Also 3 months is pretty long for just 16 projects as there are 100s of projects. maybe a project displayed for a day or a week and then removed it may be added again after 2 months there if it still qualifies. And the maximum love require ment to be accepted should be 200, views to be 500, favourites to be 300. Also it should be removed if someone requests for it and maximum favourite requirement for being in the show should be 700, views- 1000, loves- 500.
Maybe community picks option is there for all the available categories and the user has to input what 1-2 category suits it the best to be displayed otherwise other will be automatically put.
Will there be a community picks in studios?

Last edited by Dahipuri (June 16, 2022 07:53:05)

signature in progress
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also what exactly the things in order of category appearence mean

signature in progress
Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

Purvitekriwal wrote:

Chosen by scratch is a better name

Purvitekriwal wrote:

Yes, a scratcher should be able to add their projects and also you should not require a full scratcher status to do this

Purvitekriwal wrote:

musicROCKS013 wrote:

snip
Wow, you guys are so generous. I was thinking you should only be able to request one project a day.
Yes

Purvitekriwal wrote:

Also what about a 1 day cooldown (5 projects can be added in a day) instead of just 2 hours. And for newscratchers it may be 2 projects a day.
Why?

Purvitekriwal wrote:

Also for eligibility as you said atleast 15 loves for moderation issues I think you should instead add 20 views
I can't, because a project with 20 views could still be inappropriate.

Purvitekriwal wrote:

And the maximum love require ment to be accepted should be 200, views to be 500, favourites to be 300. Also it should be removed if someone requests for it and maximum favourite requirement for being in the show should be 700, views- 1000, loves- 500.
Maybe community picks option is there for all the available categories and the user has to input what 1-2 category suits it the best to be displayed otherwise other will be automatically put.
I think Za-Chary's post explains why this can't be the case really well.

Purvitekriwal wrote:

Also 3 months is pretty long for just 16 projects as there are 100s of projects. maybe a project displayed for a day or a week and then removed it may be added again after 2 months there if it still qualifies.
-
Will there be a community picks in studios?

Purvitekriwal wrote:

Also what exactly the things in order of category appearence mean
Sorry, I think you've misunderstood the suggestion. Projects added to this section will be placed into a memory ‘bank’ in the system, which an algorithm will select from semi-randomly. The projects it selects will be placed in the same way the Explore page is, with older and less popular projects at the top. However, this page will look different for every user, as the projects are selected randomly for each user every time.

~ Eagle38
coder/artist/noob animator :: he/they :: unconventional :: comment ‘e’ on my profile if you see this
just call me Eagle
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A longer cooldown so that people do not abuse the feature.
Also a project with 15 loves can be inappropriate(I had seen one with 50 and was inappropriate because it was insulting the scratch team. Came across that through PPTBF studio while adding project there when I was a curator)
Loves are just 500 here and only views are 1000 becaue it is going to stay up on
Also if you are asking is as different every time then that is a nice idea but I am still confused what does order of appearances mean

How the selection algorithm works:

Projects will be displayed in order of their age-appearance-view ratio. Projects will be grouped into categories (specifics unclear). Similar to the SDS, 16 random projects will be selected from each category (as you might guess this is 1 page of projects) and will be displayed on a per-user basis (so each user gets a different set of projects).
Order of category appearance:
- High age - low appearances - low views
- High age - medium appearances - low views
- High age - high appearances - low views
- Medium age - low appearances - low views
- Medium age - med appearances - low views
- Med age - high appearances - low views
- High age - low appearances - med views
- High age - med appearances - med views
- High age - high appearances - med views
- Med age - low appearances - med views
- Med age - med appearances - med views
- Med age - high appearances - med views
and so on and so forth
What I mean By order of category appearances is above

Last edited by Dahipuri (June 16, 2022 10:32:17)

signature in progress
Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

Purvitekriwal wrote:

I am still confused what does order of appearances mean

-

Projects will be displayed in order of their age-appearance-view ratio. Projects will be grouped into categories (specifics unclear). Similar to the SDS, 16 random projects will be selected from each category (as you might guess this is 1 page of projects) and will be displayed on a per-user basis (so each user gets a different set of projects).
and so on and so forth
-
So basically, this means that the first 16 projects the algorithm will pick to display will be projects with a high age (i.e. has been in the algorithm for a long time), low appearances (number of times it has appeared on the age) and low views first to display, Then, it will pick the next 16 projects from projects with high age, medium appearances and low views, and so on.

Last edited by Eagle138 (June 16, 2022 10:45:57)

~ Eagle38
just call me Eagle
-iviedwall-
Scratcher
500+ posts

Eagle138 wrote:

-iviedwall- wrote:

Milk909 wrote:

howabout if you are a scratcher you can add projects, if you are a new scratcher, you cannot
NO support for this idea, that's just unfair, since they already couldn't create studios, host studios, and have a longer cooldown in commenting.
Maybe they can post, but it's limited to 1 project/day for them?
Yeah, I agree, so I think the 2-hour cooldown will be changed to 24 hours or at least 12 hours to reduce traffic on people who are so desperate to get noticed. We also need a row on the front page that randomizes every two hours from the Community Picks rows.
Dahipuri
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Eagle138 wrote:

Purvitekriwal wrote:

I am still confused what does order of appearances mean

-

and so on and so forth
-
So basically, this means that the first 16 projects the algorithm will pick to display will be projects with a high age (i.e. has been in the algorithm for a long time), low appearances (number of times it has appeared on the age) and low views first to display, Then, it will pick the next 16 projects from projects with high age, medium appearances and low views, and so on.
Ok

signature in progress
Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

-iviedwall- wrote:

Eagle138 wrote:

-iviedwall- wrote:

Milk909 wrote:

howabout if you are a scratcher you can add projects, if you are a new scratcher, you cannot
NO support for this idea, that's just unfair, since they already couldn't create studios, host studios, and have a longer cooldown in commenting.
Maybe they can post, but it's limited to 1 project/day for them?
Yeah, I agree, so I think the 2-hour cooldown will be changed to 24 hours or at least 12 hours to reduce traffic on people who are so desperate to get noticed. We also need a row on the front page that randomizes every two hours from the Community Picks rows.
Actually, that's a good idea, I'll add that.

~ Eagle38
just call me Eagle
-iviedwall-
Scratcher
500+ posts

and so on and so forth
I agree with this algorithm which promotes underrated projects to get on the front rows, but maybe add another rule row which automatically moves projects that are made by a user who got banned within the past 4 months a few rows below and cannot get on the front-paged row, because they might be inappropriate since the user has a ban record.
autocorrect sucks

Last edited by -iviedwall- (July 11, 2022 06:27:11)

Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

-iviedwall- wrote:

snippety snip
I agree with this algorithm which promotes underrated projects to get on the front rows, but maybe add another rule which automatically moves projects that are made by a user who got banned within the past 4 months a few rows below and cannot get on the front-paged row, because they might be inappropriate since the user has a ban record.
Good point.

~ Eagle38
just call me Eagle
Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

:0 how did this topic get past 3 pages with no bumps- that's impossible-
Anyways, this post will go down in history as being this topic's first ever bump.
the navigation tags fate looming on the horizon

~ Eagle38
just call me Eagle
Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

why why why why why
why did i mention navigation tags???
the curse has already begun-
bump

~ Eagle38
just call me Eagle
Milk909
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bump

Moved to a new account: @-Decode

musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Milk909 wrote:

Bump
Don’t bump a topic unless it has been 24 hours since the last post or if the topic is on the second page.

Shift + Down arrow to see the rest of my signature

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

Scratch should be politically neutral.

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

This is my signature. I am allowed to adertize here.

_______________\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Please Click —> This project is literally my life's work. <— Please Click
_______________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jenny LeClue is the best
Milk909
Scratcher
100+ posts

musicROCKS013 wrote:

Milk909 wrote:

Bump
Don’t bump a topic unless it has been 24 hours since the last post or if the topic is on the second page.
Ok

Moved to a new account: @-Decode