iggykoopa
Scratcher
100+ posts

gbc.sb2 - Emulation in Scratch

bobbybee wrote:

iggykoopa wrote:

DCPU-16 wrote:

The scratch 2.1 source code leaked!

That's phosphorous, a Scratch player that's blazingly fast (and also not affiliated with Scratch )
I KNOW. ITS JUST A JOKE ON HOW TOTODILE USED SCRATCH!

Used Scratch = using Scratch

sometimes i use a user theme

sometimes i dont

sometimes i want the old 1.4 design back

Realms Announcement: I HAVE A REALM
DCPU-16
Scratcher
100+ posts

cwkisaiah1644
Scratcher
26 posts

How do you play a game on it?

Last edited by cwkisaiah1644 (Dec. 2, 2015 20:35:51)

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

comp09 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

DCPU-16 wrote:

Go for it, I've heard that CHIP-8 is a great place to start if you want to develop emulators. (i started with DCPU-16)

I started with 6502. I'm a bad example haha
I'm thinking of emulating a x86 CPU in Scratch. Then we can make Scratch run anything that compiles to x86 assembly.

run GNU/Linux in Scratch
run DOS in Scratch

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

DCPU-16 wrote:

Go for it, I've heard that CHIP-8 is a great place to start if you want to develop emulators. (i started with DCPU-16)

I'm thinking of emulating a x86 CPU in Scratch. Then we can make Scratch run anything that compiles to x86 assembly.

run GNU/Linux in Scratch
run DOS in Scratch
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Whoops you did say GNU/Linux

Last edited by ChocolatePi (Dec. 16, 2015 16:39:22)

DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

ChocolatePi wrote:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

something something Stallman something something attributions something something

I do, in fact, have my own site; it's here.
I'm also working on a thing called Fetch. Look at it here!
@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DigiTechs wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

something something Stallman something something attributions something something
RMS is our GNU/King!
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChocolatePi wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

DCPU-16 wrote:

run GNU/Linux in Scratch
run DOS in Scratch

lolol
btw Android uses Linux but's it's not GNU/Linux because it doesn't have any GNU software

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Dec. 16, 2015 22:24:56)

DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

comp09 wrote:

bobbybee wrote:

DCPU-16 wrote:

run GNU/Linux in Scratch
run DOS in Scratch

lolol
btw Android uses Linux but's it's not GNU/Linux because it doesn't have any GNU software

I'm fairly certain that most of the base stuff that Android uses is actually part of GNU

I do, in fact, have my own site; it's here.
I'm also working on a thing called Fetch. Look at it here!
@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DigiTechs wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

lolol

I'm fairly certain that most of the base stuff that Android uses is actually part of GNU
…no
Android doesn't use any GNU software by default. They use Linux and have their own libc called ‘bionic’.

DCPU-16
Scratcher
100+ posts

It's been a while. Has anyone else made any emulators in scratch?
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DCPU-16 wrote:

I want to but I'm not smart enough.

considered harmful
novice27b
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm planning a 6502 emulator so I can run a BASIC ROM, but I don't have time at the moment. I'm going to need to write a program to generate scratch json for the CPU core, so I can inline as much code as possible e.g. the code for the different addressing modes.

i use arch btw
bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

novice27b wrote:

I'm planning a 6502 emulator so I can run a BASIC ROM, but I don't have time at the moment. I'm going to need to write a program to generate scratch json for the CPU core, so I can inline as much code as possible e.g. the code for the different addressing modes.
Look at my NES emulator if you're curious. Most of the 6502 is implemented, minus a few lesser used instructions / addressing modes.

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran
Znapi
Scratcher
500+ posts

DCPU-16 wrote:

I have the start of an Intel 8080 emulator. All of the instructions except interrupt related ones are implemented, but they haven't been thoroughly tested. I don't understand how all the stuff with the IO pins work, and it has no interrupt system or peripherals.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Znapi wrote:

Intel 8080 emulator

segmentation is so complicated (if the 8080 has it)

Znapi
Scratcher
500+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

Znapi wrote:

Intel 8080 emulator

segmentation is so complicated (if the 8080 has it)
The 8080 doesn't have segmentation. It is all pretty simple and straight forward, and, now that I re-read about the pins, I think I get it.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Znapi wrote:

DCPU-16 wrote:

I have the start of an Intel 8080 emulator. All of the instructions except interrupt related ones are implemented, but they haven't been thoroughly tested. I don't understand how all the stuff with the IO pins work, and it has no interrupt system or peripherals.
How similar is the 8080 to the 8086? Does it have an IVT?

Znapi
Scratcher
500+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

Znapi wrote:

I'm not sure if it has an IVT. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of IVTs. I am betting that it doesn't have one.

I don't know all of the differences. An easy one to point out is that the 8086 is 16-bit. Wikipedia lists some similarities in this section.

Last edited by Znapi (Feb. 24, 2016 23:23:12)

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Znapi wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

Znapi wrote:

I'm not sure if it has an IVT. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard of IVTs. I am betting that it doesn't have one.

I don't know all of the differences. An easy one to point out is that the 8086 is 16-bit. Wikipedia lists some similarities in this section.
Well, you said “except interrupt ones”, and in x86 real mode (from 8086 onwards) then interrupts are put in an entry in the IVT, by both the operating system and the BIOS.
Edit: you put [/wikipedia] instead of [/url]…

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Feb. 24, 2016 22:41:57)