Discuss Scratch

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

dhuls wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

Intel is doing really badly right now. Struggling to beat the WEAKEST m-series chip, the M1.
They've been stuck on 14 nm for 6 years now come on!
A 10nm intel = 7nm TSMC. (10nm intel has terrible yields though so it doesn't really matter.)

Last edited by b1048546 (Dec. 1, 2021 19:01:41)

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

There have been leaked benchmarks of the 14 core Intel Alder Lake CPU. (They may not be true as they're leaks.) It includes six Golden Cove cores and eight Gracemon cores. However, they lose to both M1 AND the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H. The great thing about M1 is its single-core performance. If Apple can make it scale well they can create a ridiculous chip.
Oh, and it has 20 threads.
scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

My dad might get the m1x 16in macbook pro when it comes out. He has a really good macbook pro right now but it's nothing compared to his m1 ipad pro or my mom's m1 macbook air. And I just have an old mid 2015 macbook pro
Edit: said imac instead of macbook air

Last edited by scratchusername40 (Aug. 17, 2021 20:19:09)

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

scratchusername40 wrote:

My dad might get the m1x 16in macbook pro when it comes out. He has a really good macbook pro right now but it's nothing compared to his m1 ipad pro or my mom's m1 imac. And I just have an old mid 2015 macbook pro
The 2015 ones are really good!
hello_smile
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

Chiroyce wrote:

Discuss about Apple M1 and upcoming Apple M series chipsets here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_M1
https://www.apple.com/in/newsroom/2020/11/apple-unleashes-m1/

I use an M1 MacBook Air, specs —
16GB RAM (LPDDR4)
8 core CPU (4 efficiency cores, 4 high performance cores)
8 core GPU

it's extremely fast and snappy for anything a 13 year old non-gamer needs

History -

b1048546 wrote:

In 2004, Apple announced their own custom silicon for the iPhone and iPad. They named it the A4. Over the years they made new chips for their iPhones and iPads. They've made chips from the A4 to A14. In between, they've had things like A5X, A12X, and A12Z. These in-between chips had more CPU cores, GPU cores, and things like more ram. However, things like A12X had the same type of cores as A12. The X and Z chips are always the same generation, they're just an extension to that generation's chip. Usually, these extended chips were for the iPad Pro. New generations of chips (eg. A5, A6) got more efficient and more powerful. The core count is RARELY changed. At the point of A14, Apple had 11+ years of experience with making new generations and extensions to those generations. They scaled A14 up to M1. (Even though it really is just an A14X.) They added two firestorm cores and 4 GPU cores to the M1. The M1 also had Mac-specific IPs, slightly higher clock speeds, and more ram. This led to the 8 core CPU, 8 core GPU, 8-16 GB of ram M1 chip. Apple has 11+ years to perfect their chips and we ended up with M1.
Wow!

hello_smile

Achievement: Rickrolled ogadaki.
set [alternate account] to [hello-smile]

hello-smile Signature logo shop
v86
The key to 1000 messages is following hundreds of forum topics.
I am tired of everyone hating on me!
Windows 11 Release
scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

My dad might get the m1x 16in macbook pro when it comes out. He has a really good macbook pro right now but it's nothing compared to his m1 ipad pro or my mom's m1 macbook air. And I just have an old mid 2015 macbook pro
They are, but I often have like 15+ tabs open and the fans are going full speed. At 25-35 tabs the computer starts not running as fast

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

scratchusername40 wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

They are, but I often have like 15+ tabs open and the fans are going full speed. At 25-35 tabs the computer starts not running as fast
I doubt the M1 will run at full speed with that many tabs open though…
scratchusername40
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

The wall street journal says:

The Wall Street Journal wrote:

Fifty browsing tabs? Not at a peep or a degree above 80 Fahrenheit on either M1-powered system. The Intel-powered Air? Thirty-five tabs got its fans revving, and it hit 93 degrees.

How about 65 tabs? The M1-powered Air was still cool and quiet, though it began showing signs of sluggish scrolling and tab switching. The Intel-powered 13-inch MacBook Pro powered up its fan at around 75 tabs. At a whopping 100 tabs—which no sane human could ever navigate—the M1-powered Pro was quiet as a mouse and scrolling pages smoothly. Even when I threw in a Zoom call, it kept silent. I finally got the new MacBook Pro’s fan to kick on, with a temperature of 98 degrees, when playing “Rise of Tomb Raider” while simultaneously exporting a 4K video in Adobe Premiere and running some Chrome tabs in the background.

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

scratchusername40 wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

Fifty browsing tabs? Not at a peep or a degree above 80 Fahrenheit on either M1-powered system. The Intel-powered Air? Thirty-five tabs got its fans revving, and it hit 93 degrees.

How about 65 tabs? The M1-powered Air was still cool and quiet, though it began showing signs of sluggish scrolling and tab switching. The Intel-powered 13-inch MacBook Pro powered up its fan at around 75 tabs. At a whopping 100 tabs—which no sane human could ever navigate—the M1-powered Pro was quiet as a mouse and scrolling pages smoothly. Even when I threw in a Zoom call, it kept silent. I finally got the new MacBook Pro’s fan to kick on, with a temperature of 98 degrees, when playing “Rise of Tomb Raider” while simultaneously exporting a 4K video in Adobe Premiere and running some Chrome tabs in the background.
Fair, but that's pretty hot. (also, why do you need 35 tabs lol)

Last edited by b1048546 (Aug. 17, 2021 21:10:34)

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

scratchusername40 wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

What about the fanless MacBook air?
hello_smile
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

scratchusername40 wrote:

Fair, but that's pretty hot. (also, why do you need 35 tabs lol)
I use over 100 on a low-end laptop.

hello_smile

v86
Windows 11 Release
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

hello_smile wrote:

Yeah, the M1 chip will destroy something that's 6 years old. So will the m1x to the m1 in a couple of months. That wasn't my point.
hello_smile
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

hello_smile wrote:

Yeah, the M1 chip will destroy something that's 6 years old. So will the m1x to the m1 in a couple of months. That wasn't my point.
I know. And over 100 makes 5fps.

hello_smile

v86
Windows 11 Release
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

hello_smile wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

hello_smile wrote:

Why do you need that many tabs lol. The M1 can handle SO many tabs. It has the highest browser rating I've ever seen.
hello_smile
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

hello_smile wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

hello_smile wrote:

Why do you need that many tabs lol. The M1 can handle SO many tabs. It has the highest browser rating I've ever seen.
I am buying an M-series Mac as soon as I am 18.

hello_smile

v86
Windows 11 Release
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

Does anyone think Apple will cool the Macbook Air in the next generations to come?
hello_smile
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

b1048546 wrote:

Does anyone think Apple will cool the Macbook Air in the next generations to come?
No.

hello_smile

v86
Windows 11 Release
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

Chiroyce wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

I may format it better later since it's kind of a mess now.
Ok!
I've done it. https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/5531087
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

hello_smile wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

No.
Wouldn't Apple be worried that the Macbook Air will throttle?
hello_smile
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mac

Venatus_123 wrote:

Chiroyce wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

If Apple can make it scale well they can create a ridiculous chip.
They will soon, with M1X (hopefully lol)!

b1048546 wrote:

The great thing about M1 is its single-core performance.
Yep!

ayyy my dad have ASus but im not allowed to use it
What?

hello_smile

v86
Windows 11 Release