Discuss Scratch

DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Block Library thread

I'm surprised this hasn't been made yet :l

Description
Welcome to the Block Library! This is a thread where you can post blocks for Scratch 1.4, Scratch 2.0, BYOB 3.1.1, Snap! (BYOB 4) and Panther! Users post blocks that the librarians add into our ‘library’ of blocks for the public to download!

Librarians
  • Currently none!

Blocks - Scratch 1.4
  • Currently none!

Blocks - Scratch 2.0
  • Currently none!

Blocks - BYOB 3.1.1
  • Currently none!

Blocks - Snap! (BYOB 4)
  • Currently none!

Blocks - Panther
  • ascii $Number$ as character
    Type: Reporter (r)
    Code:
    | t2 |
    t2 _ t1 asNumberNoError.
    ^ String with: (Character value: t2)
  • ascii code of $String$
    Type: Reporter (r)
    Code:
    | t2 |
    t2 _ t1 asMacRoman.
    t2 size = 1 ifFalse: [
    ^ 0 ].
    ^ t2 first asciiValue

Last edited by DigiTechs (June 1, 2013 14:44:29)

I do, in fact, have my own site; it's here.
I'm also working on a thing called Fetch. Look at it here!
@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
CustomEpicness
Scratcher
30 posts

Block Library thread

Reminds me of YLBL on the old site. Can I become a librarian? Oh, and BTW I have a copy of all the blocks posted in YLBL (over 350 combined!) for Scratch 1.4, Snap! 4.0 and Panther.

Last edited by CustomEpicness (May 13, 2013 16:58:05)

Stuff I'm working on: YourMod, Blockx
Scratch On! (unless you're internet's down, then use someone else's computer)
mythbusteranimator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Library thread

How would you even add new blocks to Scratch 2.0?

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Block Library thread

mythbusteranimator wrote:

The define a block procedure.

@Custom

I would be grateful if you uploaded projects with all of these blocks in for download!

@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
mythbusteranimator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Library thread

DigiTechs wrote:

@Custom

I would be grateful if you uploaded projects with all of these blocks in for download!
Ah
I see.

And you can add blocks to the Backpack, correct?

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Block Library thread

DigiTechs wrote:

@Custom

Ah
I see.

And you can add blocks to the Backpack, correct?

Yeah. I wonder if you can save the backpack - I could be able to make a ‘backpack’ with all of these scripts in instead of a project.

danwoodski
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to have the block library on a website (as Sparks attempted)? It would decrease the time spent by librarians organizing the library, and features such as searching would make it tons easier for users to find things.

Oh, and if you need any librarians, I could help (I could create a website too)!
CustomEpicness
Scratcher
30 posts

Block Library thread

danwoodski wrote:

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to have the block library on a website (as Sparks attempted)? It would decrease the time spent by librarians organizing the library, and features such as searching would make it tons easier for users to find things.

Oh, and if you need any librarians, I could help (I could create a website too)!

There is a website, not sparks, that has different blocks, but I can't remember what it was…

Stuff I'm working on: YourMod, Blockx
Scratch On! (unless you're internet's down, then use someone else's computer)
elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

Yeah, imo, there should defiantly be a well maintained Block Library with a dozen librarians or so with 100's of blocks. I would recommend someone who is actually experienced in css, php, etc (Not just a weebly website or something).

Also, does anybody have a Snap! block that sends info to a MYSQL database? It would probably have to include a php script that connects to the database and stuff, but it should be possible with the http:// block in Snap!.
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Library thread

danwoodski wrote:

There already is a website! It has all those features and more, including:
* sharing blocks
* searching for blocks
* grouping blocks together
* tagging groups of blocks
* remixing other people's blocks
* importing from Scratch projects
* deep integration with the Scratch project editor

You can find it here!

()

tosh · slowly becoming a grown-up adult and very confused about it
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Library thread

DigiTechs wrote:

I'm surprised this hasn't been made yet
What about this?

elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

danwoodski
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

blob8108 wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

What about this?
Well, that site would work, but I envisioned something more like what Sparks was trying to do with the old block library (blocks.scratchr.org).

I'll try and make a prototype version, and I'll post it here when I'm done.
elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

danwoodski wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

What about this?
Well, that site would work, but I envisioned something more like what Sparks was trying to do with the old block library (blocks.scratchr.org).

I'll try and make a prototype version, and I'll post it here when I'm done.
Can't wait to see it!
danwoodski
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

Prototype

This is VERY much a work in progress…lots of features I still plan on adding, and lots of bugs that need fixing, but at least there's a start!

Let me know what you think
blob8108
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Block Library thread

danwoodski wrote:

Prototype
You need to add the following just below the <head> tag:
<meta charset="utf8">

elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

Hm, that prototype seems really awesome so far! One thing I would suggest, is have blocks require to be approved before they're added to the list. That way you don't get a bunch of super simple scratch 2.0 blocks, or blocks that don't work. However, I'd only suggest doing so if you can be dedicated in approving them.
DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

Block Library thread

elfin8er wrote:

Hm, that prototype seems really awesome so far! One thing I would suggest, is have blocks require to be approved before they're added to the list. That way you don't get a bunch of super simple scratch 2.0 blocks, or blocks that don't work. However, I'd only suggest doing so if you can be dedicated in approving them.

I could be apart of the approval team.

danwoodski
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

elfin8er wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
I was also thinking that users would have to login to upload blocks (you don't have to login to download), and the accounts would verify with scratch either using the Scratch API once it's back up, or jvvg's method.
elfin8er
Scratcher
100+ posts

Block Library thread

danwoodski wrote:

elfin8er wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
I was also thinking that users would have to login to upload blocks (you don't have to login to download), and the accounts would verify with scratch either using the Scratch API once it's back up, or jvvg's method.
Awesome!