Discuss Scratch

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

5/3/2013: Updates to the site and editor, phew.

We've been fixing bugs and debugging all day - had some very tricky problems to sort out. Apologies for the outages – things should be smoother sailing for a while now ( and the site should be faster! )

Project Editor:
v300
- bug: backdrop category list is wrong (it's using the ‘sounds’ categories)
- set sprite thumbnail when dragging sprite from library
- fixed bug in reporting URL for old format projects
- fetch assets from CDN/Fastly cache
- make sure old costumes (and imported bitmap costumes) open in bitmap mode
- bug 478: drag from backpack into paint editor
- bug 760: shift + pencil on vector buggy –recommend removing Shift functionality for pencil
- bug 835: dragging from Backpack in bitmap mode overwrites instead of adding
- bug 851: svg costumes dragged into bitmap mode from backpack give error
- bug #871: backdrop library is showing Sound library categories not backdrop categories
v298
- remove code to save generic thumbnail for newly-created project (the server now supplies a good default thumbnail)
- don't request the non-existent en.po file for English
- the SWF now reports the URL for Scratch 1.x projects to support downloading them
- bug 456: deleting a costume or backdrop from the backpack in the editor will also delete it from the project
- bug 864: don't scroll palette to top when deleting a block or renaming a variable or list

v297
- don't show save dialog unless assets have changed (i.e. not for script changes)
- bug 700: need to optimize scrolling for user experience in editor (see also 643)
- bug 606: leaving sound editor tab should stop sound playback in sound editor
- bug 813: text color not changing (vector and bitmap)
- bug 832: close Tips window when opening Media Library dialog
- bug 843: need to save costume state before Converting
- bug 844: flip button is not triggering a save costume

- Start using CDN to cache images closer to users, for faster page loads.
- minify JS and CSS for faster page loads
- Add a link to forum search from /search page
- Add a hook for 1.4 project downloads (Project page > Share to> Download 1.4 project) (known issue: need to rename filename to project title.)
- Fixed some bugs in studios (open studios were showing “Add projects” for non logged in users, duplicate messages were being sent for adding a follower/curator)
- Fixed the IntegrityErrors reported in getsentry (result of duplicate projects/ users in studios )
- Updated the sub pages and sub page queries for profiles (we should test all the “View all” links on carousels on profile page)
- make sure you can see the page for who is following a user for every user.
- make sure you can add and delete projects from studios
- make sure you can get to the editor page and that all the javascript is working there
- make sure you can get to the /parents page
- make sure the forum search works

Scratch On and thanks for being patient during the beta!

Edit: Updated list for v300!

Last edited by Lightnin (May 4, 2013 13:09:10)

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

First post! OOOHHHHHH YEAH! It's fixes like these that make me confident in 2.0!

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
tlangster
Scratcher
100+ posts

Sounds awesome!

Test account for FireNinjaGAME.
hpscpenguin26
Scratcher
20 posts

I would say that the editor might be slightly faster, but im not so sure if the website is or not. There may still have been issues going on at this time, but about 30 minutes ago when i would load a project page the footer & header bar would load, but not the page contents until about 30 seconds after I first attempted to load the page. Now, it seems a bit better, so it was probably still just the issues with the web server. I have been editing a project since 5:00 (Eastern time), and I have gotten almost every web server error there is(500, 501, 503, 404, and a simple page that says “Internal Server Error”). I think its worth it though

Also, on May 9th, will scratch 2.0 support strings in cloud variables, or still just numbers until a later update? Also, with cloud variables, what is the point of reporting inappropriate cloud data when its all in numbers, so you could never figure out what user entered that inappropriate data in? For example, I am writing a program which in order to transmit a string from one instance of the program to another, it converts it to a series of numbers, so the inappropriate string could not be tracked using cloud data. (Its a multiplayer game, so it turns the “player” string into numbers, and then back into a string). Im not sure if thats an issue that is worth finding a fix for or not, but it doesn't sound so safe to me. Eventually, it will be less of a problem when strings are allowed in cloud data.

Have you ever seen a unicorn? Wait! I see one out your window right now! Why don't you go look for it while I update my signature.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cool! Flash viewer version 300!

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
vedkhandekar
Scratcher
47 posts

In Java version we could reach only till v9, but in Flash we have made it to 300!
Thanks for Scratch 2.0!

Paint your imagination here!
Play the classic Tic-Tac-Toe
Pop some Bubbles!
And more! Visit here for more stuff!

And if you have questions, just ask!
BoltBait
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

- remove code to save generic thumbnail for newly-created project (the server now supplies a good default thumbnail)

I really don't like the generated thumbnails. I would prefer if we had a high-color thumbnail instead of the 16-color ones we get now.

I really wish the thumbnails looked as good as the ones in my signature…

Last edited by BoltBait (May 4, 2013 05:53:53)

Click to play:
Gaza101
Scratcher
500+ posts

Hooray! I'd been waiting for the explanation!

Gaza101: retired member of the Scratch 2.0 Transition Team

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BoltBait wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

I really don't like the generated thumbnails. I would prefer if we had a high-color thumbnail instead of the 16-color ones we get now.

Thanks for the feedback - that's helpful. I noticed some differences yesterday as well - we'll look into alternatives. It's possible the scaling algorithm used isn't optimal, or anti-aliasing is an issue. Whatever is happening, I agree that the results of the scaling don't look as good as when the browser handles it for us. Should be an easy-ish fix to tune it.
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A userpage without projects can't load comments

radu4000
Scratcher
53 posts

Uhhh… What happened to the forum posting thingy? It only shows text, no emoticon images to place!

Wanna laugh? This should to it!
Wanna pop some bubbles? Bubbles!
Wanna be a slime? Get slimy!
Wanna find out something? Did ya know…
Wanna see an epic video? MWAHAHA
Wanna die? No URL cuz you don't!

LUUUULZ
tpaley
Scratcher
100+ posts

yay! will cloud lists come out before release or not?

SFollis
Scratcher
500+ posts

tpaley wrote:

yay! will cloud lists come out before release or not?
not before, but a bit after… i can't wait for then!

GreenScripter
Scratcher
4 posts

On may 3 every image disappeared. All of the user and project images as well as the scratch logo, the search symbol, the messages button, and the my stuff button, although nothing in the project editor, or the paint editor disappeared.;;

Lightnin wrote:

We've been fixing bugs and debugging all day - had some very tricky problems to sort out. Apologies for the outages – things should be smoother sailing for a while now ( and the site should be faster! )

Project Editor:
v300
- bug: backdrop category list is wrong (it's using the ‘sounds’ categories)
- set sprite thumbnail when dragging sprite from library
- fixed bug in reporting URL for old format projects
- fetch assets from CDN/Fastly cache
- make sure old costumes (and imported bitmap costumes) open in bitmap mode
- bug 478: drag from backpack into paint editor
- bug 760: shift + pencil on vector buggy –recommend removing Shift functionality for pencil
- bug 835: dragging from Backpack in bitmap mode overwrites instead of adding
- bug 851: svg costumes dragged into bitmap mode from backpack give error
- bug #871: backdrop library is showing Sound library categories not backdrop categories
v298
- don't request the non-existent en.po file for English
- the SWF now reports the URL for Scratch 1.x projects to support downloading them
- bug 456: deleting a costume or backdrop from the backpack in the editor will also delete it from the project
- bug 864: don't scroll palette to top when deleting a block or renaming a variable or list

v297
- don't show save dialog unless assets have changed (i.e. not for script changes)
- bug 700: need to optimize scrolling for user experience in editor (see also 643)
- bug 606: leaving sound editor tab should stop sound playback in sound editor
- bug 813: text color not changing (vector and bitmap)
- bug 832: close Tips window when opening Media Library dialog
- bug 843: need to save costume state before Converting
- bug 844: flip button is not triggering a save costume

- Start using CDN to cache images closer to users, for faster page loads.
- minify JS and CSS for faster page loads
- Add a link to forum search from /search page
- Add a hook for 1.4 project downloads (Project page > Share to> Download 1.4 project) (known issue: need to rename filename to project title.)
- Fixed some bugs in studios (open studios were showing “Add projects” for non logged in users, duplicate messages were being sent for adding a follower/curator)
- Fixed the IntegrityErrors reported in getsentry (result of duplicate projects/ users in studios )
- Updated the sub pages and sub page queries for profiles (we should test all the “View all” links on carousels on profile page)
- make sure you can see the page for who is following a user for every user.
- make sure you can add and delete projects from studios
- make sure you can get to the editor page and that all the javascript is working there
- make sure you can get to the /parents page
- make sure the forum search works

Scratch On and thanks for being patient during the beta!

Edit: Updated list for v300!
alfiaw
Scratcher
21 posts

The editor is definitely faster and no longer having *constant* autosave is good too. I am still struggling a lot with the graphics editor though. Here's a synopsis:

* Drawing tool: I continue to be unable to switch paint colors when editing a sprite's costume. It keeps reverting to the first color I choose.
* Eraser tool: Non-existent? Where is it?
* Paint bucket: Flashes different colors when I bring it over where I want to use it.
* Transparency: Is this not an option with vector images?

Thanks! All in all though, I am loving 2.0. Gooooo Scratch Transition Team and thanks for all you do!
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GreenScripter wrote:

On may 3 every image disappeared. All of the user and project images as well as the scratch logo, the search symbol, the messages button, and the my stuff button, although nothing in the project editor, or the paint editor disappeared.;;

Hi! Are you still having trouble with images loading? A screenshot would be very helpful! Also knowing your browser version and operating system. Thanks!
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whee! Lack of styling!

Seems to go on and off

Last edited by OrcaCat (May 4, 2013 20:17:32)

BoltBait
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

BoltBait wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Thanks for the feedback - that's helpful. I noticed some differences yesterday as well - we'll look into alternatives. It's possible the scaling algorithm used isn't optimal, or anti-aliasing is an issue. Whatever is happening, I agree that the results of the scaling don't look as good as when the browser handles it for us. Should be an easy-ish fix to tune it.

Instead of using “Nearest Neighbor”, try “Bicubic” scaling method for a high-color image. Or, try a "Floyd-Steinberg dithering" quantizer for a 16 color gif image.

Last edited by BoltBait (May 4, 2013 22:15:57)

Click to play:
MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

OrcaCat wrote:

Whee! Lack of styling!

Seems to go on and off
Yikes! Happened again!

MelonInc
Scratcher
100+ posts

It's back to normal, yay! You might want to look into that ST…