1000+ posts

Question about word usage

jaguar1501 wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

such words as “Hell” “Heck” “*” I would also say are ok but some little kids may still misinterpret it
Considering one of them got censored, I think the Scratch Team disagrees.
darn was the word (the actiual one) but I guess in USA its a swear word o_O
Not really, its considered a mild swear word, but some people think that anything remotely related to a bad word will cause their children to become gangstars when they are 22.
very true, little kids in UK are taught that the words “dumb” and “stoopid” are swear words ._.
Not me
Also, I consider ‘d*mn’ a swear word, and I'm from the UK. It's important that nobody is offended by anything someone says on Scratch, which is why the abbreviation of ‘what the h*ll’ is censored on the forums as well.
I don't

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

such words as “Hell” “Heck” “*” I would also say are ok but some little kids may still misinterpret it
afaik that particular word isn't censored in Scratch comments yet it is on the forums

I personally don't think of bloody as an inappropriate word in the various contexts you could use it in, although I am old (past Scratch's 8-16 focus age range) so the opinion on someone a lot younger would be more valuable in this case.

Last edited by CatsUnited (July 24, 2020 07:58:10)

bottom text
-Panda_Programmer-
Scratcher
58 posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

I am from Britain, and actually, here, when ‘bloody’ is used in that context or something similar, a lot of people view it as a substitute for a swear word- and it's not exactly appropriate, in my opinion.
By that logic, should the words “heck” and “darn” be banned too? Or is it considered worse?

heck and darn aren't like real swear words and will only offend oversensitive 8 and 9 year olds

Have an awesome day, and I hope this post helped you! <333

10 • ♀ • ɪɴᴛʀᴏᴠᴇʀᴛ • sᴋɪɪɴɢ • ʙᴀsᴋᴇᴛʙᴀʟʟ • ᴅɪsᴛʀɪᴄᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ • ʜᴜғғʟᴇᴘᴜғғ • ᴇʀᴜᴅɪᴛᴇ • ᴘɪsᴄᴇs • ʙᴏᴏᴋᴡᴏʀᴍ • ɢᴀᴍᴇʀ • ᴡᴇɪʀᴅᴏ • ʜᴀᴍɪʟғᴀn

Jeremiah 29:11. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

-Panda_Programmer- wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

I am from Britain, and actually, here, when ‘bloody’ is used in that context or something similar, a lot of people view it as a substitute for a swear word- and it's not exactly appropriate, in my opinion.
By that logic, should the words “heck” and “darn” be banned too? Or is it considered worse?

heck and darn aren't like real swear words and will only offend oversensitive 8 and 9 year olds
e x a c t l y darn, hecc, hell, stupid and dumb are not swear words

#BlackLivesMatter

check out these delicious Asian Spring Rolls approved by paddle2see
AllLives can't matter until one “race” matters as much as the others
:3
scratch978654
Scratcher
100+ posts

Is d a m n allowed?

I will be temporarily participating on this site on April 1 2021 then leaving again
NOTANO0B
Scratcher
100+ posts

k9chelsea2 wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

darn was the word (the actiual one) but I guess in USA its a swear word o_O
Not really, its considered a mild swear word, but some people think that anything remotely related to a bad word will cause their children to become gangstars when they are 22.
very true, little kids in UK are taught that the words “dumb” and “stoopid” are swear words ._.
Not me
Also, I consider ‘d*mn’ a swear word, and I'm from the UK. It's important that nobody is offended by anything someone says on Scratch, which is why the abbreviation of ‘what the h*ll’ is censored on the forums as well.
Well when you grow older you will probably change youyr opinion in your siggy it says your 10 so…
XDDDDD

CHECK OUT MY PROJECT COME ON CLICK MY PROFiLE DUDE COME ON CLICK IT WOOOOO WE ARE aLLOWED TO ADVERTISE HERE SO CHECK IT OUT THE PUBG CLICKER IS EPIC LOOK AT IT LOOK JUST LOOK TOTALLY WORTH YOUR TIME YES I WILL NOT STOP COME ON BRO CLICK CLICK CLICK DO IT YESSSSS COME ON FOLLOW ME IF YOU WANT mORE YAYYYYYYYYYYY DO IT cHECK IT oUT CLICK ZA_CHARY SAID WE COULD ADVERTISE So CLICK IT TRY MY GAMES DO IT EVEN IF YOURE MAD AT ME YOURE GONNA HAVE TO lEAVE AN ANGRY COMMENT DOODE REMEMBER IF YOU LIKE IT THAN fOLLoW ME THANNKS lOl JUST TRY IT oUT wOO HOO COme ON NO HURTING IN THAT!!
THANKS FOR READING, DID YOU GET THE CODE?!
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

scratch978654 wrote:

Is d a m n allowed?
I wouldn't say it is on scratch but you could probably say it and nothing would happen depends if the emo super sensitive 8 3/4 (yes don't forget to 3/4 or they will get v e r y offended) year olds saw it then they would report it (not talking about all 8 years olds only specific ones)

#BlackLivesMatter

bananaandchoc1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I use bloody without really thinking. I’d say it’s ok in that context since it obviously doesn’t mean actual blood. The Harry Potter books and films have ‘bloody’ in them, and I know that some 8 year olds watch/read them (I watched and read them when I was around 8 lol). I believe it’s fine to use in that context.

Last edited by bananaandchoc1 (July 25, 2020 18:49:47)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I personally am against it. It's pretty easy for younger children to misinterpret it. What's wrong with using other words, such as “really” instead of “bloody”? Blood seems a bit too far for me, although I understand it is not exactly a “bad word”, don't forget that users of all ages use the site, and it's not hard for younger users to get confused.

RoboticAuthor2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bloody is not a swear word, I don't believe. You'd be fine using it. The first Harry Potter books, which mind you, I've seen LITTLE KIDS starting to read, include ‘Bloody’, and a kid seeing a comment saying ‘That’s bloody amazing!' isn't going to make them turn to a life of crime, or do badly in school, or traumatize them for life. Of course, this is my opinion. But nobody I've met considers it a swear word, and I live in the US. You'll likely be fine using it.

Hey there! Don't mind me, I'm a British Russian hybrid who is a history nerd and artist, on top of being a writer and character designer! I am a evil kumquat carbon-based lifeform who likes Countryhumans, FNAF, Marble Hornets, Hamilton, SCP Foundation, and more! Feel free to chat or ask me questions, I won't bite~!

Like running a country, geopolitics, or being part of a cause greater than yourself? Join the Meritocratic Triumvirate of Brivesland today!
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

I personally am against it. It's pretty easy for younger children to misinterpret it. What's wrong with using other words, such as “really” instead of “bloody”? Blood seems a bit too far for me, although I understand it is not exactly a “bad word”, don't forget that users of all ages use the site, and it's not hard for younger users to get confused.
It makes 0 sense to be referring to actual blood when saying “That's bloody brilliant!” and most young children know what bloody means in that context. I don't think many more younger users would get confused with the word “bloody” than with “heck” or “darn” or things of that sort.
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

RoboticAuthor2 wrote:

Bloody is not a swear word, I don't believe. You'd be fine using it. The first Harry Potter books, which mind you, I've seen LITTLE KIDS starting to read, include ‘Bloody’, and a kid seeing a comment saying ‘That’s bloody amazing!' isn't going to make them turn to a life of crime, or do badly in school, or traumatize them for life. Of course, this is my opinion. But nobody I've met considers it a swear word, and I live in the US. You'll likely be fine using it.
exactly

#BlackLivesMatter

Col_Cat228
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

“That's bloody brilliant!” and most young children know what bloody means in that context.
I'm 11 and i had no idea of what it meant until now

“Everything in the universe is either an apple or not an apple”
-a smart guy
DipLeChip
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Col_Cat228 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

“That's bloody brilliant!” and most young children know what bloody means in that context.
Only Britain and her white settler colonies use it (Australia, New Zealand etc.) so if you are from America or somewhere else that would explain why you would of never heard it.

stop fuming and start loving :p
nev_ergonnagiveyouup
New to Scratch
19 posts

DipLeChip wrote:

Col_Cat228 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Only Britain and her white settler colonies use it (Australia, New Zealand etc.) so if you are from America or somewhere else that would explain why you would of never heard it.
Ik what it is and I'm from the US

We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy
I just wanna tell you how I'm feelingGotta make you understandNever gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but
You're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it
And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
(Ooh, give you up)
(Ooh, give you up)
(Ooh)
Never gonna give, never gonna give
(Give you up)(Ooh)
Never gonna give, never gonna give(Give you up)
We've know each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but
You're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it
I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DipLeChip wrote:

Col_Cat228 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

America was a colony of Great Britain (only the eastern seaboard, the rest was France and Spain). Anyway I don't think a kid in America would understand the sentence “That was bloody awesome!”

Last edited by Basic88 (July 25, 2020 23:44:25)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
DipLeChip
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

DipLeChip wrote:

Col_Cat228 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

America was a colony of Great Britain . Anyway I don't think a kid in America would understand the sentence “That was bloody awesome!”
Yes but is America still a crown Dominion? American language changed a lot from British English

stop fuming and start loving :p
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DipLeChip wrote:

Yes but is America still a crown Dominion? American language changed a lot from British English
Oh, yes. I would say it's fine to say “bloody awesome”.

Last edited by Basic88 (July 25, 2020 23:48:00)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DipLeChip wrote:

Col_Cat228 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

I have only ever been in the United States, yet I still know it.

Col_Cat228 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Even then, you knew it had nothing to do with actual blood, right?