Discuss Scratch

DipLeChip
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Question about word usage

There are certain words like “bloody” that can be used like so: “That was bloody brilliant!” so I have a question as to whether or not Scratch would allow such words for the site.

stop fuming and start loving :p
garnetluvcookie
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yes, I think so. My parents watch a lot of British TV, and in the show they use it in an appropriate manner.

Last edited by garnetluvcookie (July 23, 2020 12:48:04)

PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Although I understand it's not in an inappropriate context, but I don't think that it's the best idea.

Considering that a large majority of Scratchers are from America, it's possible that younger children will mis-interpret it. Not everyone watches British TV/movies, so there may be a problem.
However, I may be wrong.

Last edited by PrincessFlowerTV (July 23, 2020 15:36:49)

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
-Zyte-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessFlowerTV wrote:

Although I understand it's not in an inappropriate context, but I don't think that it's the best idea.

Considering that a large majority of Scratchers are from America, it's possible that younger children will mis-interpret it. Not everyone watches British TV/movies, so there may be a problem.
However, I may be wrong.
But a lot of people in America has read/watched things relating to… h a r r y p o t t e r

And… I'm 13 now so this needs an update… eventually…
If anyone wonders why my pfp is the thing it currently is, it's because… I honestly don't know. (My original logo is in the banner above)

April Fools 2021 wrote:

miku ftw
but zyte, your pfp is luo tianyi…
because using miku as a pfp is weird. and i didn't want to use tianyi or miku as an pfp, i was forced to

i think i like this pfp now…
and also FUNNEH JOOS
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessFlowerTV wrote:

However, I may be wrong.
I have never watched a British TV show or a movie, but I still know what bloody means in that context.
jaguar1501
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I am from Britain, and actually, here, when ‘bloody’ is used in that context or something similar, a lot of people view it as a substitute for a swear word- and it's not exactly appropriate, in my opinion.

I moved!
Check out my new account!
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jaguar1501 wrote:

I am from Britain, and actually, here, when ‘bloody’ is used in that context or something similar, a lot of people view it as a substitute for a swear word- and it's not exactly appropriate, in my opinion.
By that logic, should the words “heck” and “darn” be banned too? Or is it considered worse?
HW_Games
Scratcher
500+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

By that logic, should the words “heck” and “darn” be banned too? Or is it considered worse?
I know that the Scratch Team said that the word ‘heck’ is fine.

Welcome to the Scratch forums.
jaguar1501
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

'heck' and ‘darn’ are fine- it's considered worse than those, something probably closer to the level of d*mn.

I moved!
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch is based in America. With some math, there are 7x more scratchers from America than in the UK (source). Maybe not.

Last edited by Basic88 (July 23, 2020 16:24:32)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

Scratch is based in America. With some math, there are 7x more scratchers from America than in the UK. Maybe not.
It doesn't matter if they're from the UK, it is common knowledge that “bloody amazing” is not referring to actual blood because that makes no sense.
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

DipLeChip wrote:

There are certain words like “bloody” that can be used like so: “That was bloody brilliant!” so I have a question as to whether or not Scratch would allow such words for the site.
idk what americans think of that word, i personnaly have nothing agaisnt it, such words as “Hell” “Heck” “*” I would also say are ok but some little kids may still misinterpret it

#BlackLivesMatter

check out these delicious Asian Spring Rolls approved by paddle2see
AllLives can't matter until one “race” matters as much as the others
:3
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

k9chelsea2 wrote:

such words as “Hell” “Heck” “*” I would also say are ok but some little kids may still misinterpret it
Considering one of them got censored, I think the Scratch Team disagrees.
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

such words as “Hell” “Heck” “*” I would also say are ok but some little kids may still misinterpret it
darn was the word (the actiual one) but I guess in USA its a swear word o_O

Last edited by k9chelsea2 (July 23, 2020 16:36:41)

#BlackLivesMatter

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

k9chelsea2 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

Not really, its considered a mild swear word, but some people think that anything remotely related to a bad word will cause their children to become gangstars when they are 22.
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

Not really, its considered a mild swear word, but some people think that anything remotely related to a bad word will cause their children to become gangstars when they are 22.
very true, little kids in UK are taught that the words “dumb” and “stoopid” are swear words ._.

#BlackLivesMatter

jaguar1501
Scratcher
1000+ posts

k9chelsea2 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

very true, little kids in UK are taught that the words “dumb” and “stoopid” are swear words ._.
Not me
Also, I consider ‘d*mn’ a swear word, and I'm from the UK. It's important that nobody is offended by anything someone says on Scratch, which is why the abbreviation of ‘what the h*ll’ is censored on the forums as well.

I moved!
k9chelsea2
Scratcher
500+ posts

jaguar1501 wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

k9chelsea2 wrote:

Not me
Also, I consider ‘d*mn’ a swear word, and I'm from the UK. It's important that nobody is offended by anything someone says on Scratch, which is why the abbreviation of ‘what the h*ll’ is censored on the forums as well.
Well when you grow older you will probably change youyr opinion in your siggy it says your 10 so…

#BlackLivesMatter

DipLeChip
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jaguar1501 wrote:

Here in Australia we throw around swear words and inappropriate words very loosely, I use mild words like “bloody” without really thinking because of how loosely we throw around those words and as my dad is a British immigrant, and having lived in Kent for 2 years, I more often than not use British mild swear words and other slang because heritage etc. Thank you for the explanation.

stop fuming and start loving :p
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bloody: Mild language, generally of little concern. Frequently used in everyday language to express emotion, and not usually as a directed insult.

From OFCOM's Attitudes to potentially offensive language and gestures on TV and radio Quick Reference Guide (you probably shouldn't look that up)

Last edited by fdreerf (July 24, 2020 00:08:13)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0