Discuss Scratch

Eagle138
Scratcher
500+ posts

The letter I vs the letter l

Support. Maybe instead of switching the i, you could make the L serif? (add a little tweak on the end)

edit: mwahahahahah top of the page

Last edited by Eagle138 (May 26, 2022 10:37:24)

~ Eagle38
coder/artist/noob animator :: he/they :: unconventional :: comment ‘e’ on my profile if you see this
just call me Eagle
fancy signature banner coming…one day
EagIe138
New to Scratch
1 post

Support! There should be somewhere where it’s mentioned, though, as people might confuse it for things such as the Asterisk and think it means that person is a moderator.
MeIzAwezomeDede
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YtArie5 wrote:

I don't understand how I and l is a problem tho?
Well, there's been a total of zero times where somebody has actually typed the username of this account correctly since people always assume the third letter in my username is a lowercase “L” rather than an uppercase “i”
Although it's not a super huge issue, it can lead to some users being credited incorrectly in projects. Changing the font wouldn't hurt

Nothing to see here
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A reason to support this suggestion (or otherwise not use the support convention):

Look at this image.
You may think these two names are the same.
However, you would be wrong.

The first username here is ExampleUser, spelt correctly.
However, the second username is ExampIeUser, but the ‘L’ in this instance is an “I”.

Here's a close-up, side-by-side comparison of the ‘l’ and the ‘I’:

These look the same, and they don't look different to each other.

Also, it's 100% obvious that this would be used for trolling/impersonation, as shown in this example:

ExampleUser wrote:

No support, this could breach peoples' security.
And then, in another topic, ExampIeUser (a troll pretending to be ExampleUser) says this:

ExampIeUser wrote:

OMG you guys we should ban ExampleUser they attacked a person the other day because their racist!
lets get rid of exampleuser they hate everyone
set target to [exampleuser]
Of course, this is just an example.

Anyways, with this suggestion, this would help people know who's the impersonator and who's the actual user. (Even if it's blatantly obvious who's the impersonator and who's the real user.)

5 forum tips:
  1. If you are reporting a new forumer's topic to be closed, or moved to another forum, don't mention it, because then, the topic creator will think they will receive either an alert or a ban.

2. New forumers won't immediately know the rules or terminology of the forums. I have seen this happen hundreds of times (exaggeratedly), especially when experienced forumers (I won't name any) tell new forumers that they are "necroposting", which is when someone posts on an old and resolved topic (especially in the Questions about Scratch forum), causing said topic to be moved to the front page of that forum.

3. Using Scratchblocks as a writing style is not blockspam, unless it is irrelevant to the discussion. For example, this

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

How do I make a smooth gliding animation?
    when green flag clicked
    repeat until <(my question) = [answered]>
    ask [How do I make a smooth gliding animation?] and wait
    end
    say [Thank you!]
    is not blockspam, but this

ExampleScratcher2 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    play sound [Stock Laughter Sound Effect HD - 1 Hour v]
    forever
    play sound [Stock Screaming Sound Effect HD - 1 Hour v]
    switch backdrop to [internet v]
    say [i broke the internet] for (2) secs
    turn cw (15) degrees
    go to [nearby restaurant v]
    next costume
    end
    is blockspam, which should be reported.

4. Even if you name your topic something like “ignore” or “DON'T POST ON HERE IF YOU AREN'T A MEMBER OF OUR GROUP!”, people will still post on your topic because topics are meant to be viewed by everyone.

5. Just be respectful at all times.
7salad3salad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

While this would be sort of good to prevent impersonation, what about people like AIGamesDeveloper who have alts that switch the letters? It would look bad.

Forumer Post Count Bar Graph! (inspired by AIGamesDeveloper)
Project: Forummon by randomguy3513
hi, contrast
JUST BECAUSE THERES A WORKAROUND ISNT A GOOD REASON TO NOT SUPPORT!!!

dont call me 7salad
dont call me 7salsa lol
just simply “Salad” will do.

:]::#00289A// This is my pet Noobles! He protects my signature from [i]unwanted guests[/i]

B){

}::#800080//This is Noobles' big brother, Probles. He has returned and Noobles is happy to see him!
//oh, yeah, he is also cool so he wears sunglasses.

:P::cap sensing//This is their little brother, Doobles

old banner thnng
MentalBox
Scratcher
100+ posts

7salad3salad wrote:

While this would be sort of good to prevent impersonation, what about people like AIGamesDeveloper who have alts that switch the letters? It would look bad.
It would make his original and alt more obvious, which would reduce confusion. I don't see any real loss other than aging a convenient joke.
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

7salad3salad wrote:

Well, there is that…

This is literally a wake-up call for everyone, I guess.

You can see an example of this on this page.
And yes, I am them, and they are me.

5 forum tips:
  1. If you are reporting a new forumer's topic to be closed, or moved to another forum, don't mention it, because then, the topic creator will think they will receive either an alert or a ban.

2. New forumers won't immediately know the rules or terminology of the forums. I have seen this happen hundreds of times (exaggeratedly), especially when experienced forumers (I won't name any) tell new forumers that they are "necroposting", which is when someone posts on an old and resolved topic (especially in the Questions about Scratch forum), causing said topic to be moved to the front page of that forum.

3. Using Scratchblocks as a writing style is not blockspam, unless it is irrelevant to the discussion. For example, this

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

ExampleScratcher2 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

4. Even if you name your topic something like “ignore” or “DON'T POST ON HERE IF YOU AREN'T A MEMBER OF OUR GROUP!”, people will still post on your topic because topics are meant to be viewed by everyone.

ideapad-320
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Shyguydude wrote:

I think that there should be a new font for scratch so lower case L and uppercase i should look different. People have been making accounts like CheddarGiri and other stuff.

EDIT: FlVE supporters!
Just make it so uppercase I and lowercase l are treated as the same character when choosing a name.

This is my siggy.
Can't wait for FRC water game!
mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ideapad-320 wrote:

Just make it so uppercase I and lowercase l are treated as the same character when choosing a name.
That's probably the easiest solution for from now on, however what about preexisting accounts?
For example, @Poiygon is identical to @poLygon, except for the i/L thing.

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
glomeromycota
Scratcher
100+ posts

support, maybe a serif font with less fancy serifs but not monospace
and you cant tell that I is slightly thicker (or slightly shorter in some fonts) than L unless you put them side by side and stare: Il

I used to be this guy
I own a namesnipe here
the

;
blablablahello
Scratcher
1000+ posts

not only for L and I, but also for O and 0, and im sure there are other similar letters that have problemos (cant think of one at the moment but im SURe there is)

Highlight, Hold shift, Press down arrow to scroll down

HEHEHEHAW

Everytime someone says “I did a quick search”, I question wether they meant they did a quicksearch (The algorithm) or a quick search (Quickly searching)

鸡你
实在是太美哦贝贝
实在是太美
多一眼就会爆炸
近一点会被融化
干嘛
你干嘛哈哈诶有
oh yea哈哈
多一眼就会爆炸
近一点会~融~化~~~

我个人认为,这个意大利面就应该拌四十二号混凝土,因为这个螺丝钉的长度,很容易会直接影响到挖掘机的扭矩,你知道吧,你往里砸的时候,一瞬间,他就会产生大量的高能蛋白,俗称UFO,会严重影响经济的发展,甚至对整个太平洋以及充电器,都会造成一定的核污染,你知道吧,啊,再者说根据勾股定理,你可以很容易的推断出,人工饲养的东条鹰鸡,它是可以捕获野生的三角函数的,所以说这个这个这个,你不管秦始皇的切面是否具有放射性,特朗普的n次方,是否含有沉淀物,都不应影响这个这个沃尔玛跟维尔康在南极汇合,啊!

大家好,我是练习两年半的个人练习生蔡徐坤!我喜欢唱,跳,rap,还有打篮球

早上好中国我喜欢吃冰淇凌!

why are you down here why are you down here why are you down here

blablablahello
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MeIzAwezomeDede wrote:

YtArie5 wrote:

I don't understand how I and l is a problem tho?
Well, there's been a total of zero times where somebody has actually typed the username of this account correctly since people always assume the third letter in my username is a lowercase “L” rather than an uppercase “i”
Although it's not a super huge issue, it can lead to some users being credited incorrectly in projects. Changing the font wouldn't hurt
a bigger problem is impersonation! someone can ruin ur reputation by backpacking and stealing your projects, copying everything you do, and making an account named melzawezomeded (its all in lowercase here so you know thats a l and not i), and then ruining ur reputation by being mean to others, ST do respond to theses fairly(?) quickly, but you only have 1 l in ur name, if you have like 3, they can make 6 total impersonation accounts (including your real account, 5 excluding it), now if you had 4, they can make a total of 24! (including real account, 23 excluding), now thats a HUGE problem since with the ATLEAST week or so period of time unitl ST IP bans them, they can have people hate you!

Highlight, Hold shift, Press down arrow to scroll down

HEHEHEHAW

Everytime someone says “I did a quick search”, I question wether they meant they did a quicksearch (The algorithm) or a quick search (Quickly searching)

鸡你
实在是太美哦贝贝
实在是太美
多一眼就会爆炸
近一点会被融化
干嘛
你干嘛哈哈诶有
oh yea哈哈
多一眼就会爆炸
近一点会~融~化~~~

我个人认为,这个意大利面就应该拌四十二号混凝土,因为这个螺丝钉的长度,很容易会直接影响到挖掘机的扭矩,你知道吧,你往里砸的时候,一瞬间,他就会产生大量的高能蛋白,俗称UFO,会严重影响经济的发展,甚至对整个太平洋以及充电器,都会造成一定的核污染,你知道吧,啊,再者说根据勾股定理,你可以很容易的推断出,人工饲养的东条鹰鸡,它是可以捕获野生的三角函数的,所以说这个这个这个,你不管秦始皇的切面是否具有放射性,特朗普的n次方,是否含有沉淀物,都不应影响这个这个沃尔玛跟维尔康在南极汇合,啊!

大家好,我是练习两年半的个人练习生蔡徐坤!我喜欢唱,跳,rap,还有打篮球

早上好中国我喜欢吃冰淇凌!

why are you down here why are you down here why are you down here

k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

blablablahello wrote:

not only for L and I, but also for O and 0, and im sure there are other similar letters that have problemos (cant think of one at the moment but im SURe there is)
O and 0 look similar, but there is a major difference.

Also, whаt аbout the fаct thаt you cаn't tell the difference between the reаl Lаtin ‘a’ аnd the fаke Cyrillic ‘а’?

In the sentence above, there are only two real a's. The rest are Cyrillic a's, showing how bad this is.

5 forum tips:

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

ExampleScratcher2 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

960times10_5is106044
Scratcher
500+ posts

It's different. Look at the colors of the edges.

Check it out:

Also, check out the Mineral Fish Topic (not by me) and the Numberblocks Fish Topic.
Press Shift+Down to see the rest.

You found me!
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

960times10_5is106044 wrote:

It's different. Look at the colors of the edges.
[just joking]Unless someone could invent a magnifying glass that could tell the difference between an I and an l, it's impossible to tell if an l is an I or an l.[/just joking]
The problem with that is, no-one can see the colours of an l and an I. All of these colours form to create black.

5 forum tips:

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

ExampleScratcher2 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

960times10_5is106044
Scratcher
500+ posts

Plus there's some tiny spacing.

Check it out:

Also, check out the Mineral Fish Topic (not by me) and the Numberblocks Fish Topic.

You found me!
960times10_5is106044
Scratcher
500+ posts

Tell the difference:
l
I

Check it out:

You found me!
960times10_5is106044
Scratcher
500+ posts

Why didn't they use the font Radio Canada, which is my favorite? It looks similar to Tahoma, but better.

Check it out:

You found me!
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Super duper ultra mega bump!

960times10_5is106044 wrote:

Tell the difference:
l
I
You're right, there is a difference.

However, in usernames, it's impossible to tell the difference between “I” and “l”.

5 forum tips:

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

ExampleScratcher2 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

gamesprimescratch
Scratcher
100+ posts

no support. SiIvaGunner fan accounts that use the uppercase i would not be happy.

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭4:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://philippians.bible/philippians-4-8

my favorite Mario game