Discuss Scratch

M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Could a dog become an ST member?

This is a really stupid question I came up with last night when I couldn’t sleep. And I wanted to ask to see if it WAS possible.

So…
If a dog was able to understand human language, know how to code and use computers, and be able to properly moderate the Scratch site, could s/he become a Scratch Team member?

Behold, Luna's Mimikyu army!! It got killed for a moment by an evil Lord Dome, but Lord Helix brought them back!!

E_Equals_EmCeCube3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

…if the dog is 18 years old or over and can legally work in the US, then yes…?

– signed, E_Equals_EmCeCube3. Have a good day!

Scratcher, aspiring game developer, and enjoyer of (mostly indie) video games (favorite is Stardew Valley)
projects | profile | notebook | past/side account
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

E_Equals_EmCeCube3 wrote:

What legal status do dogs have in the United States though? I can't imagine they could qualify as being a US citizen due to their non-human status, so that might affect their ability to enter employment.

bottom text
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what lead you to think of this question.

Um, no? I don't think dogs can legally work in the United States, even if they are extremely talented all they can get is being a police dog. And most dogs do not live to be over 18 years old, and they ones who do are usually very sick as they are nearing the end of their lives. Plus, dogs can't type nor comprehend code so you fantasy dog would never happen. Although a dog ST member sure is a sight to picture.
Darkstar177
Scratcher
100+ posts

Unless they are 18 or older, have the requirements, and can legally work in the US, no. Nothing I could possibly add to this.

“Aren't armrests chairs for your arms?” -Darkstar177

Hey! I'm a teen that enjoys reading, soccer, running, and Scratch.

One of my Best Animations is here.
Kumquat Guard: ಠ_ಠ
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CatsUnited wrote:

What legal status do dogs have in the United States though? I can't imagine they could qualify as being a US citizen due to their non-human status, so that might affect their ability to enter employment.
Plus, dogs cant live over 18 and be healthy enough for this. Most dogs of old age have hard times walking and joint pain so they couldn't use a computer.
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Plus, dogs cant live over 18 and be healthy enough for this. Most dogs of old age have hard times walking and joint pain so they couldn't use a computer.
18 dog years

And about what you asked “I’m trying to figure out what lead you to think of this question”, blame it on not being able to sleep.

Behold, Luna's Mimikyu army!! It got killed for a moment by an evil Lord Dome, but Lord Helix brought them back!!

BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

18 dog years
But nobody can really agree on how to find a dog's exact age in human years.

M1mikyu wrote:

And about what you asked “I’m trying to figure out what lead you to think of this question”, blame it on not being able to sleep.
Can relate to that. It usually takes me 2 hours to fall asleep (don't ask why, wish I knew) so I come up with a lot of weird questions and random thoughts in that time.
PrincessPuppy321
Scratcher
100+ posts

I wish they could…xD

Please ignore my username, I chose it ages ago lol.
My main account is @faeriie–, so you may know me from other shops.
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Quoting the requirements for being a Community Moderator:
  • Active participation in online communities, forums, or social media

• Excellent writing and communication skills

• Comfortable learning to use new software and websites

• Strong online research skills

• Good judgement and ability to consider issues from multiple perspectives

• Able to work well independently, manage your time well, and stay focused while working remotely

• Able to work well as part of a team and participate in group discussions

• Not required, but would be nice: ability to read and write in multiple languages (especially if one of those languages is Japanese, Korean, or Russian!)
I mean, if this dog in question fit all of these requirements, I don't see why not.
I'm starting to wonder why I even bother…

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No, to be on the ST you must have authorization to work in the United States.

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!
Age 17 | Irish | Traditional Catholic | Conservative

LankyBox01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GOSH I'M IN THE WIERD SIDE OF SCRATCH AGAIN

Do you have trouble with scratch slang? Check this awesome site out!

I'm a red panda btw
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I really don't think a dog can legally work in the United States unless it's a Service Dog or a Police Dog. I don't think we will see any dogs coding Scratch or any other programming languages or even use a computer.

Last edited by Basic88 (May 25, 2020 23:09:24)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

I really don't think a dog can legally work in the United States unless it's a Service Dog or a Police Dog. I don't think we will see any dogs coding Scratch or any other programming languages or even use a computer.
Well, could cats become a ST member? They added the meow language for the cats that used Scratch, so there must have been enough cat users for it to get added. Maybe they could add a bark language and see if any dogs joined.

LankyBox01 wrote:

It’s still a valid question. But yes, agree.

FloatingMuffins wrote:

Dogs can have authorization to work. How else would service dogs be a thing?

PrincessPuppy321 wrote:

I wish they could…xD
Me too, my dog is a very good moderator at home. He helps prevent the puppy from doing bad things, and if she stars biting me he will bark at her to tell her to stop.
(Ps your icon is pretty)

Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Well, could cats become a ST member? They added the meow language for the cats that used Scratch, so there must have been enough cat users for it to get added. Maybe they could add a bark language and see if any dogs joined.

LankyBox01 wrote:

FloatingMuffins wrote:

PrincessPuppy321 wrote:

I wish they could…xD
Me too, my dog is a very good moderator at home. He helps prevent the puppy from doing bad things, and if she stars biting me he will bark at her to tell her to stop.
(Ps your icon is pretty)

Cat's can't learn to script. Neither can dogs. Why does this conversation exist? I certanly can't see my dog sitting at the computer typing “WOOOOOOF” at other scratchers.

Last edited by Basic88 (May 25, 2020 23:58:44)

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You missed April Fool's. Wait for next year.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This topic isn't going anywhere. Can you please close it?

fdreerf wrote:

You missed April Fool's. Wait for next year.

Yes, that is agreed upon

DipLeChip
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

LankyBox01 wrote:

FloatingMuffins wrote:

PrincessPuppy321 wrote:

I wish they could…xD
(Ps your icon is pretty)

Cat's can't learn to script. Neither can dogs. Why does this conversation exist? I certanly can't see my dog sitting at the computer typing “WOOOOOOF” at other scratchers.
Ok first of all, MY BRAIIIIIIIIN

Second of all, if the US government were to grant citizenship to such dog when they are above 18 standard dog years (US gov gotta decide that, also it must become standard age for dogs to work) and have allowed such citizen dog to work and they can indeed do the job with perfect English and moderation skills etc., yes they can, totally they have the legal rights to as the US gov has granted it, and that is a big IF btw, as the irl US gov probs wouldn't. Now I am going to take a break because the fact this question caused such debate has made me loose multitudes of braincells.

stop fuming and start loving :p
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DipLeChip wrote:

Second of all, if the US government were to grant citizenship to such dog when they are above 18 standard dog years (US gov gotta decide that, also it must become standard age for dogs to work) and have allowed such citizen dog to work and they can indeed do the job with perfect English and moderation skills etc., yes they can, totally they have the legal rights to as the US gov has granted it, and that is a big IF btw, as the irl US gov probs wouldn't. Now I am going to take a break because the fact this question caused such debate has made me loose multitudes of braincells.
A dog physically can't learn English, they're brains have not evolved special parts for language as sophisticated as human ones.
They do not have the proper voicebox to make the sounds needed or the proper wrist to write down, so even if they knew English it is impossible for us to find out.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
DipLeChip
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

DipLeChip wrote:

A dog physically can't learn English, they're brains have not evolved special parts for language as sophisticated as human ones.
They do not have the proper voicebox to make the sounds needed or the proper wrist to write down, so even if they knew English it is impossible for us to find out.
If they could evolve they could, like DNA modification is possible right now, risky but possible. So scientists could modify the DNA of a dog so when it is born it can speak English etc.

stop fuming and start loving :p