Advertising and Follow-for-Follow (f4f)

Thanks for clarifying this!
-Infinity64-
Scratcher
23 posts

YESSS People are always asking:
“May I” - to make it seem polite
“get feedback on” - to make it not seem like advertising but rather feedback so it seems nicer
"https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/randomnumber“ - the link to the project that they want to ”advertise".

“sιмρℓιcιтү ιs кεү”
ɪ'ᴍ ᴀ ᴡᴇʙ ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘᴇʀ, ɢʀᴀᴘʜɪᴄ ᴅᴇsɪɢɴᴇʀ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴜsɪᴄɪᴀɴ!

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

carot3 wrote:

Most people now call asking for feedback advertising. Would you agree?

carot3_alt wrote:

What about asking for feedback?
There is a note about this in the post.

Paddle2See wrote:

Note that “asking for feedback” (with no specifics) for one of your projects could still be considered advertising. However, inviting somebody to enjoy one of your projects that is similar to one of theirs might be considered okay, since you are sharing an interest. We ask that you do not post more than one such comment, and avoid doing this at all on projects which are featured on the Scratch homepage.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
-Infinity64-
Scratcher
23 posts

Mdawg4884 wrote:

I’ve heard that people are doing this: making accounts and following themselves. Is that allowed?
It probably is. Multiple people have done it.

“sιмρℓιcιтү ιs кεү”
ɪ'ᴍ ᴀ ᴡᴇʙ ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘᴇʀ, ɢʀᴀᴘʜɪᴄ ᴅᴇsɪɢɴᴇʀ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴜsɪᴄɪᴀɴ!

jemunm
Scratcher
100+ posts

Thanks!

Nice
MusicManJoe
Scratcher
25 posts

I hope others see this and now know when to post f4f and advertising where it is appropriate, thank you for this announcement.
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm glad this was addressed. I know that there have been some disputes about this recently.

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
carot3
Scratcher
89 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

carot3 wrote:

Most people now call asking for feedback advertising. Would you agree?

carot3_alt wrote:

What about asking for feedback?
There is a note about this in the post.

Paddle2See wrote:

Note that “asking for feedback” (with no specifics) for one of your projects could still be considered advertising. However, inviting somebody to enjoy one of your projects that is similar to one of theirs might be considered okay, since you are sharing an interest. We ask that you do not post more than one such comment, and avoid doing this at all on projects which are featured on the Scratch homepage.
Okay, I didn't quite see that part

carot3 - Games - Platformers - Animations - And More - [ My Latest Game is ‘- Orbit° - A 360° Rotating Scrolling Platformer’! ]

Like, Favourite, Follow for more!
carot3
Scratcher
89 posts

-Infinity64- wrote:

Mdawg4884 wrote:

I’ve heard that people are doing this: making accounts and following themselves. Is that allowed?
It probably is. Multiple people have done it.
My friends at most have 8, but for each specific reasons, not to follow themselves. I only have 3

carot3 - Games - Platformers - Animations - And More - [ My Latest Game is ‘- Orbit° - A 360° Rotating Scrolling Platformer’! ]

Like, Favourite, Follow for more!
vkpatil
Scratcher
100+ posts

Super helpful, definitely clears up all the public outcry against F4F and also helps clear up the talk and *hate* about the AAA

hi im vee and i exist
Sunarcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

I AM SO HAPPY WITH THIS DECISION. I dislike advertising. SO MUCH. F4F I feel the same way, but I know its OK. as long as you don't SPAM It. Hopefully scratchers stop advertising, its just wrong. In my opinion. .

Last edited by Sunarcher (April 22, 2020 03:26:44)

VillainLimax
Scratcher
19 posts

when green flag clicked
when green flag clicked<<if> and (<advertising = see>)>
set pen color to [nothing]
if <spamming = go> then
repeat (10000000 = hide)
hide
end

else
move (if and <and, (72) and if = second input = war.functioning>) serious steps, and vigilant while doing it. Please stop spamming on scratch.
end

Last edited by VillainLimax (April 22, 2020 07:35:50)

Misq
Scratcher
6 posts

This announcement really helps to clarify everything

Misq
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thanks for making this! This'll really clear up confusion, but how can we make sure that lots of people will see this?

NilsTheChair | 5 years on Scratch | 4000+ posts | former wiki editor | 332nd FPC | CoR founder
new_dude124578
Scratcher
40 posts

i am happy that you said this

you ever look at your signature after a while and then cringe at it?
yeah that happened to me and I changed it straight away
R4356th
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think this needs to go to the Scratch News section on the front page and a pop-up should also show up for everyone.

Last edited by R4356th (April 22, 2020 12:30:18)

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

this is a dream come true. thank you for making this.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

Scratch is a big community and it is important that everyone follow the Community Guidelines, including being respectful and friendly. There are several topics that we would like to address to continue to keep the site friendly.

Advertising
We understand that you want other people to see your projects.. However, misplaced advertising or spamming links is not friendly or respectful to other users.

Where is it okay to advertise?

There are many ways that you can share your projects with others that we don’t consider to violate the Community Guidelines, including:
  • The ‘About Me’ and ‘What I'm Working’ on fields of your profile
  • Changing the Featured Project on your profile
  • Leaving a comment on your own profile
  • Your forum signature in the Discussion Forums
  • In the Show and Tell area of the Discussion Forums (make a new topic for your project)
  • In Studios that are designed for advertising
  • In Studios that have a theme similar to your project (to ask that your project be added to the Studio)

Where is it not okay to advertise?

Any place where your ad would be considered “off-topic”, such as:
  • Comments on someone else's project
  • Comments on someone else's profile (possible exception - maybe your followers profiles would be okay - but you might want to check with them first)
  • On areas of the Discussion Forums other than Show and Tell
  • In Studios that are not relevant to the project you are advertising

Just checking, is it all right to advertise on your own project? That could be useful if that project is part of a series, and you want to go to another project in that series without having to search it.

Last edited by Super_Scratch_Bros20 (April 22, 2020 13:00:54)

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

Just checking, is it all right to advertise on your own project? That could be useful if that project is part of a series, and you want to go to another project in that series without having to search it.
Of course it is. After all, you do own the project, so it isn't causing any harm or anything.

(Also another way to link a series is to put the projects in a studio and put the studio link in the desc)