Discuss Scratch

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pro Invent Inc [Looking for a journalists and game reviewer: Newspaper]

Hi sorry for being a bit inactive.

HarryB178
You could do it on anything you like. You could use cloud variables, gravity, scrolling, platform, shooting, multi-level games or a pen-drawn health bar etc. It doesn't have to be too long. You could just post it here and I'll put it into the newsletter. Thanks in advance

Note to all game reviewers
Please review, cublox's mighty adventure, hovercraft and chopper bomber if you haven't already done so. Thanks

Note to me
I will review ngreen's game to get final results

Last edited by Co49 (June 17, 2014 16:18:03)

HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ngreen
Please could you review:
Sparks
Cublox Mighty Adventure
Hovercraft

HarryB178
Please could you review:
Sparks

ngreen
Please could you review:
Sparks
Cublox Mighty Adventure
Hovercraft

SeaBoundRhino
Please could you review:
Sparks
Hovercraft

Note to Self
Sparks
Hovercraft
Cublox

Last edited by Co49 (June 26, 2014 15:09:20)

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think we should try to bring our first newsletter in a month or two. Once I have done the average for chopper bomber and these reviews are done, we will have six reviews . Here are some useful studios and projects:
Tutorials
Surveys
ngreen1266
Scratcher
98 posts

Cublox's Mighty Adventure Game Review
Graphics-8.0/10.0- Basic Graphics, but they work well for the game.
Clean Code-9.0/10.0- When you press the space bar on the last screen, the backdrop turns to the backdrop of the level right before. Luckily, this is easy to fix.
Game Play-8.0/10.0- The movement was good, but it needs more levels. Love the music though.
Purpose-6.0/10.0- The game needed more unique levels. By unique, I mean new levels and not “Do it Agains.” Otherwise, the game was good.
Overall-31.0/40.0-
Accolades Awarded- Pro Invent Pass
Worthy to be Featured- No, because it needs more UNIQUE levels.
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sparks Game Review
Graphics-9/10.0- Good
Clean Code-9.0/10.0- Good
Game Play-5/10.0- I didn't like it.
Purpose- 6/10.0- It worked OK, but I didn't get its purpose.
Overall-29.0/40.0-
Worthy to be Featured- No, but it is probably the kind of game the Scratch Team like.
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cublox's Mighty Adventure Game Review
Graphics-8.0/10.0- Basic Graphics, but they work well for the game.
Clean Code-9.0/10.0- When you press the space bar on the last screen, the backdrop turns to the backdrop of the level right before. Luckily, this is easy to fix.
Game Play-8.0/10.0- The movement was good, but it needs more levels. Love the music though.
Purpose-6.0/10.0- The game needed more unique levels. By unique, I mean new levels and not “Do it Agains.” Otherwise, the game was good.
Overall-31.0/40.0-
Worthy to be Featured- No, because it needs more UNIQUE levels.

Game Review of Cublox
Graphics: (7/10.0) Good but is doesn't need to have good graphics.
Clean Code: (10/10.0) Nothing Wrong
Game play: (9/10.0) Good
Purpose: (6/10.0) Brilliant but far too short.
Overall: (32.0/40.0)
What was good: There are no glitches and runs very smoothly and good game play. Clean Code.
What could be improved: This game is too short for me.
Accolades Awarded: Pro Invent pass

Overall Results for Cublox

Graphics: (7.5/10.)
Clean Code: (9.5/10.0)
Game Play: (8.5/10.0)
Purpose: (6.0/10.0)
Overall: 31.5/40.0
Accolade Awarded - Pro Invent Pass, 
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chopper Bomber Review
Graphics-9.0/10.0- Simple yet very fitting graphics. I would say add a sky in the background.
Clean Code-10.0/10.0- Nothing wrong.
Game Play-7.5/10.0- I think the random buildings were a great choice. The scratch cat at the end looks bad; instead add a game over and you win screens. I would suggest using animation to make the helicopter look like it's propellers are spinning.
Purpose-9.5/10- Very addicting and fun with lots of replay opportunities. Maybe add a helicopter landing pad at the bottom of the last building.
Overall-36.0/40.0- Nice job!
Accolades Awarded- Pro Invent Pass with Merit
Worthy to be featured? Yes

GAME REVIEW OF Chopper Bomber-
Graphics: (7.5/10) The helicopter sprite was not very good looking, and other than that, there really is nothing more to judge in the graphics section.
Clean Code: (9/10) A few buildings were nearly impossible to knock down, so a boarder would really help. The reason they were hard to knock down was because you had to press “Space” immediately after you spawned.
Game play: (10/10) The controls were excellent. The bomb came from the helicopter instantly after you told it to, and the buildings were destroyed very smoothly.
Purpose: (10/10) In my opinion, it was the perfect difficulty. Not too hard, not too easy.
Overall: (36.5/40) Nice work. I am a tough reviewer, so a 36.5 is extremely good if it is coming from me.
Feature-Worthy?: Yes

What was good: I liked how the buildings were randomly generated.
What could be improved: It would be nice if you had a light blue background and added some clouds. A boarder would also be nice. It would help to remove the Scratch Cat when you lose, and instead input a Game Over screen. Anything with the original Scratch Cat doesn't look too well. It would be hard to find the right type of music, but if you wanted to, add some catchy tunes.
Accolades Awarded: Pro Invent Pass with Merit

-GAME REVIEW OF Chopper Bomber-
Graphics: (9/10) Nothing wrong.
Clean Code: (10/10) Very nice, not too complicated.
Game play: (9/10) Very good to play
Purpose: (10/10) Exactly what it was meant to be.
Overall: (38/40)
Feature-Worthy?: Yes but they don't usually feature the most fun to play, usually the most unique. Luckily, this is both.

Pass: Pro Invent Pass With Distiction

Overall Results
Graphics: (8.5/10.0)
Clean Code: (9.7/10.0)
Game Play: (8.8/10.0)
Purpose: (9.8/10.0)
Overall: (36.8/10.0)
Accolade: Pro Invent Pass with Merit, well done
ngreen1266
Scratcher
98 posts

Sparks Game Review
Graphics-10.0/10.0- I really liked the graphics especially how the different sprites reacted when the orange circle/avatar came near them.
Clean Code-8.5/10.0- When you go to the Leader Board and then go back, the LOVE IT, FAVORITE IT, FOLLOW ME doesn't disappear which makes it distracting.
Game Play-6.9/10.0- I thought it was really cool that you made your own music. But the orange circle/avatar is hard to control and a little bit unpredictable when you move it.
Purpose-9.0/10.0- The Leader Board was a nice touch.
Overall-34.4/40.0
Worthy to be featured?-Yes. This project is new, original, and creative.
TM_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ngreen1266 wrote:

Sparks Game Review
Graphics-10.0/10.0- I really liked the graphics especially how the different sprites reacted when the orange circle/avatar came near them.
Clean Code-8.5/10.0- When you go to the Leader Board and then go back, the LOVE IT, FAVORITE IT, FOLLOW ME doesn't disappear which makes it distracting.
Game Play-6.9/10.0- I thought it was really cool that you made your own music. But the orange circle/avatar is hard to control and a little bit unpredictable when you move it.
Purpose-9.0/10.0- The Leader Board was a nice touch.
Overall-34.4/40.0
Worthy to be featured?-Yes. This project is new, original, and creative.

Thanks for the review!
@Game Play: It's supposed to be hard, controling the spark how you want needs some training. I hope you saw all features, especially the ones in far levels like blue and shadow enemies. They make the game more interesting and enable more complex level designs.

The Leader-board bug will be fixed right now, i don't know how i coul forget it

Thanks! Finally we have great reviewers back to Scratch

My YouTube-Account: TM_ (TMtheScratcher)
Join the Google+ Community “Persist” and test the latest Alpha-versions and get news about the desktop-game! Persist
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Any reviews for Hovercraft?
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HarryB178 wrote:

Is there a bug at the start? I can't seem to get past the ‘select background’ part.
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

Is there a bug at the start? I can't seem to get past the ‘select background’ part.

WHAT?
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HarryB178 wrote:

Co49 wrote:

HarryB178 wrote:

WHAT?
Oh, its okay now, I must have made a mistake I'll post a review tomorrow
ngreen1266
Scratcher
98 posts

Hovercraft Game Review
Graphics-7.2/10.0- I thought you did a good job with the fish and the hovercraft, but the graphics themselves are a little blank. I liked how you could chose the backdrop but some parts of the hovercraft are hard to see in some backdrops.
Clean Code-10.0/10.0- I saw no glitches.
Game Play-7.5/10.0- I thought you made a good selection in the music. The upgrades you could get were very good. I liked how you could change the speed in the options. I think when the fish get past the hovercraft they should take away health instead of money, but you could regain health overtime. I'm not saying you should do this, It's just what I think. Also, the final wave is way too hard. I end up with -69ish money when I start the wave with 200ish.
Purpose-10.0/10.0- Liked and understood the story and the game progressed well for me.
Overall-34.7/40.0
Worthy to be featured?- Yes. Other people have done it, but not to the extent you did it too.
sunnypiano
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Time using Scratch: about 3 weeks
Time as a Scratcher: about 1 week
Link to best project(s): Avoid the cheese, I can't post the link, you can go to my profile then my featured project is Avoid the cheese
Role as a: Game Reviewer
Experience in other collaborations (leadership and time): Member of Galactic studio, Giga game makers games.

I have read and agree to the rules
I have read and agree to staff roles
Thanks!
SeaBoundRhino
Scratcher
62 posts

sunnypiano wrote:

Link to best project(s): Avoid the cheese, I can't post the link, you can go to my profile then my featured project is Avoid the cheese
Experience in other collaborations (leadership and time): Member of Galactic studio, Giga game makers games.

Thanks!
You should be in soon!
HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ngreen1266 wrote:

Hovercraft Game Review
Graphics-7.2/10.0- I thought you did a good job with the fish and the hovercraft, but the graphics themselves are a little blank. I liked how you could chose the backdrop but some parts of the hovercraft are hard to see in some backdrops.
Clean Code-10.0/10.0- I saw no glitches.
Game Play-7.5/10.0- I thought you made a good selection in the music. The upgrades you could get were very good. I liked how you could change the speed in the options. I think when the fish get past the hovercraft they should take away health instead of money, but you could regain health overtime. I'm not saying you should do this, It's just what I think. Also, the final wave is way too hard. I end up with -69ish money when I start the wave with 200ish.
Purpose-10.0/10.0- Liked and understood the story and the game progressed well for me.
Overall-34.7/40.0
Worthy to be featured?- Yes. Other people have done it, but not to the extent you did it too.

Thanks! The last wave should be less hard than it was I think.
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sunnypiano wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome to the collaboration ! If you know anyone who wants a game reviewed then do say. If you want to become a member then read the section on the first post. Here is a game review that we will fill out:
GAME REVIEW
Graphics: (0/10.0)
Clean Code: (0/10.0)
Game play: (0/10.0)
Purpose: (0/10.0)
Overall: (0/40.0)
Clean Code - the lack of bugs, glitches and lags
Purpose - if a RPG, is the storyline good? If a puzzle game, is it challenging?
What was good:
What could be improved:
Accolades Awarded:
Suggest improvements for anything that is not ten out of ten.

Last edited by Co49 (July 8, 2014 19:37:19)

HarryB178
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump