100+ posts

Autistic media!

ok new page

Check out my Waifu2x Topic!
-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

I'd like to see some case where autism (or any other mental disorder) is a part of a character, but not the defining part or even a major part. A lot of the time, in media portrayals of such characters, the autism/other mental disorder is the thing that everyone focuses on, front and center, and it would be interesting to have some story where that's not the case.

Official diagnosis says I have PDD-NOS. My mom says I have Aspergers. Other people have said I was misdiagnosed.

<Insert uncreative signature here>

██       ██  ██            ██  ██       ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
███ ███ ██ ████ ██ ███ ███
█████████ █████ █████ █████████

“Though the seasons come and go, and sunshine turns to snow, we will always have tomorrow up ahead.”
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

I'd like to see some case where autism (or any other mental disorder) is a part of a character, but not the defining part or even a major part. A lot of the time, in media portrayals of such characters, the autism/other mental disorder is the thing that everyone focuses on, front and center, and it would be interesting to have some story where that's not the case.

LastContinue wrote:

Dr Temperance Brennan from Bones (TV show) is probably the best representation of an Autistic character, but she's never openly called Autistic in the show, or identified as. She's one of the main characters, one of the most important characters, she struggles with understanding emotions and social queues. She is extremely science-focused, can't tell sarcasm from sincerity.

She has very distant attitudes towards love.

It's never used as a characteristic to degrade her, but obviously when she misses a joke, her friends around her sigh a little and move on or her misunderstanding makes something so much more comedic.
It's the perfect representation, but it's never explicitly stated.

It isn't the defining part of her character. She's a Forensic Anthropologist who works for the Jeffersonian and aides FBI investigations.
She's presented as a genius, but not like Big Bang Theories' Sheldon (who is a terrible character), but like a genuine genius who is amazing in their field.

Give the show a watch. I heavily recommend it.
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

LastContinue wrote:

-snip-
Give the show a watch. I heavily recommend it.

I have watched the show, and it's pretty good.

As a person with high-functioning autism, I can absolutely understand the struggles Brennan goes through in the show, and it is pretty comedic.

Although it's always like a punch in the gut when autism is treated as a disease, or when a person with autism is treated like some type of mentally damaged person. This doesn't happen often, but it does, and it sucks.

Last edited by venyanwarrior (Oct. 29, 2019 17:56:34)

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

okay for some reason my post didn't bump up the topic so here

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
-ColorMaster-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

Official diagnosis says I have PDD-NOS. My mom says I have Aspergers. Other people have said I was misdiagnosed.
Good news! PPD-NOS doesn't exist anymore (I was also diagnosed with it), they just call it autism now

Just a baseball nerd with an absurdist sense of humor.

creator of more than 7 posts, each one stupider than the one before

StrangerThingsFan365
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

Bump

Death Grips Is Online.
Now so am i.
Belataphe
Scratcher
100+ posts

Autistic media!

Ok I’m just curious how does it feel to have autism? I know y’all are probably tired of answering this question sorrry
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

Belataphe wrote:

Ok I’m just curious how does it feel to have autism? I know y’all are probably tired of answering this question sorrry
I don't really think it has a feel (Asperger here).

It's hard to describe. I have heightened emotions and not the one's that are nice. Heightened fear and “worry” are two. I wouldn't say anxiety, but when I do worry / fear something it is heightened a lot.
I overthink things to the point that I worry over nothing, and I can't help it. ‘Tis why I don’t have a fear of heights but if I feel there's any chance that I could die / get injured I'mma nope out of there real quick.

I used to find social interactions impossible until I just said “Heck it, what happens happens” and for some reason God blessed me with the miracle cure to my ailments and now I don't struggle to talk to people I don't know.

I'm probably the worst person you could ask that question because I just lucked out of lots of difficulties through time to the point it's almost as though I don't have it half the time…

I know I do because I was on medication for it for the longest time.
Belataphe
Scratcher
100+ posts

Autistic media!

LastContinue wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

It's hard to describe. I have heightened emotions and not the one's that are nice. Heightened fear and “worry” are two. I wouldn't say anxiety, but when I do worry / fear something it is heightened a lot.
I overthink things to the point that I worry over nothing, and I can't help it. ‘Tis why I don’t have a fear of heights but if I feel there's any chance that I could die / get injured I'mma nope out of there real quick.

I used to find social interactions impossible until I just said “Heck it, what happens happens” and for some reason God blessed me with the miracle cure to my ailments and now I don't struggle to talk to people I don't know.

I'm probably the worst person you could ask that question because I just lucked out of lots of difficulties through time to the point it's almost as though I don't have it half the time…

Thanks for trying to explain. I think I kinda know how it feels. Do you go to school? Kids with special needs at my school aren’t allowed to be a part of the normal classrooms, they’re kept separate and even are only allowed to eat lunch with everyone else twice a month.
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

Belataphe wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

Thanks for trying to explain. I think I kinda know how it feels. Do you go to school? Kids with special needs at my school aren’t allowed to be a part of the normal classrooms, they’re kept separate and even are only allowed to eat lunch with everyone else twice a month.
Wow that sounds terrible and yes I go to school and I actually don't have anything different done to/for me but that's more of a ignorance towards the existence of Autism and less of inclusivity.
-ColorMaster-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

LastContinue wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

Wow that sounds terrible and yes I go to school and I actually don't have anything different done to/for me but that's more of a ignorance towards the existence of Autism and less of inclusivity.
You know the best way to be inclusive towards autistic people?

Have literally zero inclusivity, and no, that's not sarcastic. If you wanna be treated like everyone else, then you have to be treated like everyone else

I understand that there are certain levels of autism that either need special care. Sensory issues? Got it, understood. Noise levels? Yeah, I had issues with those too, but if the person in question wants to be treated like everyone else, they have to learn to become everyone else. How to not hyper focus at the wrong time, how to deal with things that trigger those responses.

This isn't a tangent against medication or therapy, in fact, I support both quite heavily. Without occupational and speech therapy, I wouldn't be close to where I am today.

Special needs kids need to eat and go to separate classrooms since they have special needs, they are going to disrupt the regular classrooms. It's up to the school to understand if/when a kid is ready for the normal classroom, and it is not a discrimination against autism. Unfortunately, in some cases, your freakouts or attention needed are not things a normal classroom can provide for you, and that is why the special needs classes exist.

I used to be in special education, and I was moved into normal classes when I was ready.

That's what a lot of higher functioning autistic people simply don't understand. There's this expectation to be treated as both different and be treated as the same. They see special needs kids being isolated and feel like it's just this cruel part of the school system, failing to realize it's because they need to be isolated, they have needs that cannot be provided in a normal classroom.

It's the same reason I don't even list that I have autism when signing up for sports or other extracurricular activities anymore. Am I supposed to? Yeah, probably, but I don't want pandering just because I have it. I'm not special, I'm not a little butterfly, I'm just another human being and that's simply who I want to be. What are special are my abilities, which while some could be due to autism, should not be looked at because I have autism but simply on their own merits. If you make autism look like a sparkly name tag, people are going to treat you like one.

-ColorMaster-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

Belataphe wrote:

It's 100% impossible to answer this question. It is life for us how life is to you. We have never lived life without autism, we can't tell. You lived your whole life your way, and you likely can't tell either, which is alright.

I don't blame you for asking, and I wish I could ask the people around me the inverse, but it's just not a question that'll ever have a satisfying answer.

LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

-ColorMaster- wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

It's 100% impossible to answer this question. It is life for us how life is to you. We have never lived life without autism, we can't tell. You lived your whole life your way, and you likely can't tell either, which is alright.

I don't blame you for asking, and I wish I could ask the people around me the inverse, but it's just not a question that'll ever have a satisfying answer.
Nah we were fine until the vaccines right guys SARCASM
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

-ColorMaster- wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

Belataphe wrote:

You know the best way to be inclusive towards autistic people?

Have literally zero inclusivity, and no, that's not sarcastic. If you wanna be treated like everyone else, then you have to be treated like everyone else

I understand that there are certain levels of autism that either need special care. Sensory issues? Got it, understood. Noise levels? Yeah, I had issues with those too, but if the person in question wants to be treated like everyone else, they have to learn to become everyone else. How to not hyper focus at the wrong time, how to deal with things that trigger those responses.

This isn't a tangent against medication or therapy, in fact, I support both quite heavily. Without occupational and speech therapy, I wouldn't be close to where I am today.

Special needs kids need to eat and go to separate classrooms since they have special needs, they are going to disrupt the regular classrooms. It's up to the school to understand if/when a kid is ready for the normal classroom, and it is not a discrimination against autism. Unfortunately, in some cases, your freakouts or attention needed are not things a normal classroom can provide for you, and that is why the special needs classes exist.

I used to be in special education, and I was moved into normal classes when I was ready.

That's what a lot of higher functioning autistic people simply don't understand. There's this expectation to be treated as both different and be treated as the same. They see special needs kids being isolated and feel like it's just this cruel part of the school system, failing to realize it's because they need to be isolated, they have needs that cannot be provided in a normal classroom.

It's the same reason I don't even list that I have autism when signing up for sports or other extracurricular activities anymore. Am I supposed to? Yeah, probably, but I don't want pandering just because I have it. I'm not special, I'm not a little butterfly, I'm just another human being and that's simply who I want to be. What are special are my abilities, which while some could be due to autism, should not be looked at because I have autism but simply on their own merits. If you make autism look like a sparkly name tag, people are going to treat you like one.
I agree. Some autistic people (such as I) do extremely well to the point a lot of people don't realise I'm autistic when I first meet them.
Others are mute, others have sensory processing issues so bad they can't function in day to day life.

Edit: Note to self, don't Scratch past 12am it doesn't end well for you.

Last edited by LastContinue (Nov. 3, 2019 03:17:01)

Meatlejuice
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

LastContinue wrote:

-ColorMaster- wrote:

~snip~
That's the issue labelling us under one branch. Some autistic people (such as I) do extremely well to the point a lot of people don't realise I'm autistic when I first meet them.
Others are mute, others have sensory processing issues so bad they can't function in day to day life.

There needs to be change.

It's the same with Down's Syndrome. Some will be able to live a full life without being inhibited. Others may need support.
did you read the post

LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

Meatlejuice wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

-ColorMaster- wrote:

~snip~
That's the issue labelling us under one branch. Some autistic people (such as I) do extremely well to the point a lot of people don't realise I'm autistic when I first meet them.

It's the same with Down's Syndrome. Some will be able to live a full life without being inhibited. Others may need support.
did you read the post
I did. And I agreed with everything within it.
Doesn't change the fact that the label of “autistic” is terrible because “Autism Spectrum Disorder” has “Spectrum” in the name so it should be pretty clear they are very unlike.

Also it may be just because of where we're from. Your profile lists you as Australian, -ColorMaster-'s lists them as being a United Statesian, and I'm UKish.

If someone really was at the point that they couldn't function in a normal school, they would go to a specific school for special needs. The idea that they do is… strange to me? I haven't and probably won't come across someone who has that level of special needs (whilst in school), because they are kept fully separate.

Last edited by LastContinue (Nov. 3, 2019 03:00:20)

-ColorMaster-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

LastContinue wrote:

Meatlejuice wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

-ColorMaster- wrote:

~snip~

did you read the post
Doesn't change the fact that the label of “autistic” is terrible because “Autism Spectrum Disorder” has “Spectrum” in the name so it should be pretty clear they are very unlike.

Also it may be just because of where we're from. Your profile lists you as Australian, -ColorMaster-'s lists them as being a United Statesian, and I'm UKish.

If someone really was at the point that they would go to a specific school for that. They wouldn't go to a normal school full stop. The idea that they do is… strange to me? I haven't and probably won't come across someone who has that level of special needs (whilst in school), because they are kept fully separate.
1. You can just call it American
2. My point wasn't the fact that autism is treated as a singular entity. In fact, my point has nothing to do with that and I think the modern world does a great job at recognizing that it is a spectrum.
3. Private specialized schools are extremely expensive, and the majority of families with special needs kids simply cannot afford it. It's a blessing that public education provides it, and holding it in public schools does have its benefits. The biggest being that they get to experience being in a “normal” environment, and are actually less isolated than being in a privately funded facility. The “isolation” thing is pretty bogus in and within itself. It's like how 4th grade and 5th grade are kept separate (or in your case, two different grades in primary school). They go to assemblies, eat lunch at a certain time, all the normal stuff.

Meatlejuice
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Autistic media!

LastContinue wrote:

If someone really was at the point that they couldn't function in a normal school, they would go to a specific school for special needs. The idea that they do is… strange to me?
What's so strange about that? If they can't function in a normal school, they don't go to a normal school. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Also

LastContinue wrote:

United Statesian
lol

LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Autistic media!

-ColorMaster- wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

Meatlejuice wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

-ColorMaster- wrote:

~snip~

did you read the post

If someone really was at the point that they would go to a specific school for that. They wouldn't go to a normal school full stop. The idea that they do is… strange to me? I haven't and probably won't come across someone who has that level of special needs (whilst in school), because they are kept fully separate.
1. You can just call it American
2. My point wasn't the fact that autism is treated as a singular entity. In fact, my point has nothing to do with that and I think the modern world does a great job at recognizing that it is a spectrum.
3. Private specialized schools are extremely expensive, and the majority of families with special needs kids simply cannot afford it. It's a blessing that public education provides it, and holding it in public schools does have its benefits. The biggest being that they get to experience being in a “normal” environment, and are actually less isolated than being in a privately funded facility. The “isolation” thing is pretty bogus in and within itself. It's like how 4th grade and 5th grade are kept separate (or in your case, two different grades in primary school). They go to assemblies, eat lunch at a certain time, all the normal stuff.
2. I know. I worded what I wrote terribly and I blame that on me thinking it's a good idea to try and write something intelligible at 1:40am. I meant my reply to be separate to your message. I'll edit it now to better reflect that.
3. Like I said, it's something I'm not used to. There's a special needs school near me, and it isn't a private educational institute. You just need to be assessed and deemed that it's somewhere you belong. Plus my primary school didn't separate anyone. Years 1 to 6 all were treated equally.